Is it the ‘end of the world?’ or ‘the end of the age?’

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
I believe it will be the End of the world as it currently is.. I do not believe that this world will be vaporized and a brand new world wil be created to replace it..
The foundations of the world will not be vaporised.

The foundations of the world will obliterate the earth. Then and only then will a new earth come to the existing foundations 🙂

So it's true that it's an end of an age and not the end of the world, because the foundations are in the world.

And the foundations are his from heaven

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
I have no problem with any of the posts.

First, I went to the Strongs concordance, the word used for (world-age) is (165) aion. It reads "it's from the same Greek as 104 (aei) prop. as age; by extension, perpetuity (also past) by implication (the world). Specifically Jewish a Messianic period (present or future: age, course, eternal (for) ever (more) (beginning of, while the world) (began, without end)

Normally I use the Strongs for number reference only, then go to an 1836 Lexicon Greek to English I own. It reads concerning the word "World," and concerning the verse in question, "Metonymically it speaks of the world itself, as an object of creation and existence. Hebrews 11:3, Matthew 13:40, and 1 Timothy 3:16.

Thayer's Greek to English lexicon, concerning the verse in question. The end, or rather consummation of the age preceding Christ's return, with which will be connected the resurrection of the dead, the last judgment, the demolition of this world and its restoration to a more excellent condition.

I like "World," but if age means the same as world, (see above,) no problem. Thanks for all the posts, glad to see we have Christians that care. "The World needs us, especially now.

Revelation 21:1, John sees a “New heaven and a new EARTH: the first heaven and the first EARTH were passed away; and there was no more sea.”

The reasoning behind many looking so closely at age/world though I think is Matthew 12;32 https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/12-32.htm And so how can it be the end of the world where all judgement has past when Jesus is saying that in the age coming there would still be something that could be done that would not be forgiven?

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
I admit there are things written in Scripture that are hard to understand. What I do is set aside whatever it is I’m having difficulty understanding; I’ll come back to it later. What I do not do is blame the Bible, especially the K.J.B., for my lack of understanding.

This post is concerned with Matthew 24:3: “The disciples came to him privately, saying, tell us, ---- what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?”

At this time, the disciples had little knowledge of what lay ahead, even though they had been with the Lord for three + years. They were under the impression that Jesus was going to set up a new kingdom soon, very soon.

Mark tells us in Mark 9:32, which was pretty late in Jesus’ ministry, that the disciples should have understood the things Jesus was teaching, but “They (the disciples) understood not that saying and were afraid to ask.”

What saying were they afraid of? Verse 31, Jesus said to them, “The Son of man (Jesus) is delivered into the hand of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.” The words of Jesus had gone way over the disciples’ heads; they didn’t get it.

So, what did the disciples mean by “end of the world.” I suppose they expected a new creation, with a new King ruling in a new kingdom.

Question: Did the K.J.B. make an error when they put ‘world’ instead of age? Matthew uses the word “World” metonymically. Metonymically, means the word (world) is associated with something else and refers to that thing; in this case, it would be the creation. Put another way, the question would be, “When shall be the end of this creation?”

Hebrews 11:3, “Through faith, we understand that the worlds (this creation) were framed by the word of God,”

Matthew 13:40, “As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world (this creation).”

Early in Jesus ministry, he told the disciples,

Matthew 12:32, Whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven, “neither in this world, neither in the world to come.” Here, Jesus plants a seed that a new world (creation) is coming.

He also told them, in Matthew 13:39, The harvest will be at “the end of the world;”

Verse 40, The tare will be gathered and burned at “the end of this world.”

In Revelation 21:1, John sees a “New heaven and a new earth: the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.”

The K.J.B. has it right: there will be an end to this world.
I would say "end of the world" is correct" based on the immediate context of the rest of the chapter. Jesus tells us what will be happening from verses 3-15. Notice what verse 15 states about the antichrist showing up. To me this is a tip off that we will be in the great tribulation.

Then from verse 16 Jesus explains what we should do, that is "get out of Dodge." We now get to verse 29, "But immediately AFTER the tribulation of those days etc. Verse 30-31 Jesus Christ appears for His "ELECT." As a side note, (and this has been discussed on these boards a million times,) where is the rapture of the church before Jesus returns for His elect?

IN GOD THE SON,
bluto

iamsoandso

Oct 6, 2011
I would think God should be asked first most

I agree we seem to see age/world the way we do but in Matthew 12:31-32 https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/12.htm Jesus who spoke the things he heard from the Father is describing an age of time that was coming after the one they were in ended and in it there were "every sin and blasphemy" that would/could be forgiven. In it blasphemy against the Son of Man(Jesus) would/could be forgiven but Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit would not.

10-22-27

Dec 17, 2023
The reasoning behind many looking so closely at age/world though I think is Matthew 12;32 https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/12-32.htm And so how can it be the end of the world where all judgement has past when Jesus is saying that in the age coming there would still be something that could be done that would not be forgiven?
I may not be making myself clear. Let me try again. The world itself will not disappear, it's the world as we know it now, this corrupt, cursed earth. Let's reflect on the days of Noah. God said, Genesis 6:6:7, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth;" Verse 13, "The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence --- I will destroy them with the earth."

It will be a new creation standing on this earth.

montana123

Oct 9, 2021
What do you do with these scriptures??

16 Then every one that survives of all the nations that have come against Jerusalem shall go up year after year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of booths. 17 And if any of the families of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, there will be no rain upon them. 18 And if the family of Egypt do not go up and present themselves, then upon them shall[e] come the plague with which the Lord afflicts the nations that do not go up to keep the feast of booths. 19 This shall be the punishment to Egypt and the punishment to all the nations that do not go up to keep the feast of booths. Zech 14
I posted that Jesus and the saints will rule over the people that God spared at the battle of Armageddon, and Jesus will rule out of Jerusalem.

Those people have to go up year after year to worship the LORD.

Jer 30:10 Therefore fear thou not, O my servant Jacob, saith the LORD; neither be dismayed, O Israel: for, lo, I will save thee from afar, and thy seed from the land of their captivity; and Jacob shall return, and shall be in rest, and be quiet, and none shall make him afraid.
Jer 30:11 For I am with thee, saith the LORD, to save thee: though I make a full end of all nations whither I have scattered thee, yet will I not make a full end of thee: but I will correct thee in measure, and will not leave thee altogether unpunished.

God will make a full end of all Gentile nations their operating governments, but not make a full end of Israel which they will be the only operating government in the millennial reign of Christ.

The Bible says the people of the nations have to go to Jerusalem to worship the LORD but they will not have an operating government anymore ruling over those people, but they will only adhere to the operating government of Jesus which the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the LORD.

Also it calls them families to identify their ethnic group of people.

God says He is going to make a full end of all nations for they are not a nation in the sense of what a nation is now but they will only give heed to the operating government of Israel which Jesus is the King of it.

And for people that do not believe in the millennial reign of Christ on this earth it says the LORD shall be King over all the earth, and in that day there shall be one LORD, and His name one, and the heathen have to go up to Jerusalem to worship the LORD.

It states on earth, and there is no heathen in heaven.

The nations are not really nations in the sense of what a nation is now but are only a part of the operating government of Israel, but it words them as nations for that is what they were beforehand.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
I may not be making myself clear. Let me try again. The world itself will not disappear, it's the world as we know it now, this corrupt, cursed earth. Let's reflect on the days of Noah. God said, Genesis 6:6:7, "I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth;" Verse 13, "The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence --- I will destroy them with the earth."

It will be a new creation standing on this earth.
do you consider the earth as type of flesh,

Its a friendly question that's all

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
op: end of age or end of world?
My 2 cents worth questionable understanding of a timetable?:

1) "blasphemy Unforgivable in this age, nor in the Next age," refers to?:

a) this age = the age of prophecy / covenants 'at the time' this "Was Spoken"?​
Was not this age [ temporarily ] interrupted, and:​
(b) ( Is there a parenthetical [ Mystery ] age God Inserted Here? Hint = Grace? )​
At the end of which:​
c) age a) prophecy / covenants continues / ends before the Next age =​
the Millennial Kingdom [ with one last 'blasphemers' battle near the​
end of that 'Next' ] age? And, then?:​
2) "end of the world" = new heavens and new earth "eternal" age?

Any Scriptural corrections will gladly be accepted.
----------------------------------
Just some final thoughts at the end of 2023 ♫ 😇 ↑

Amen.

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
@10-22-27 was last seen less than two hours ago

I'm waiting for answer to post 29

Welcome back when you see this message. 🙂

If you can't answer or not your sure how to answer please say.

Again this is a friendly question 🙂

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
@10-22-27 was last seen 32 mins ago 🤔

Still waiting but that's ok I think your worth the wait.

Do you believe in being liberal is my next question and what does being liberal mean to you.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Thread Title ----

Is it the ‘end of the world?’ or ‘the end of the age?’

From Strong's Concordance

Matthew 24:3 it is called the ends (last part) of the ages before the return of Christ,
the end, or rather consummation, of the age preceding Christ's return, with which will be connected the resurrection of the dead, the last judgment, the demolition of this world and its restoration to a more excellent condition

DJT_47

Oct 20, 2022
Its age 'aionos' in Greek such as in Matthew 24:3.

And Isaiah 45:17 says "world without end" as does Ephesians 3:21

10-22-27

Dec 17, 2023
@10-22-27 was last seen 32 mins ago 🤔

Still waiting but that's ok I think your worth the wait.

Do you believe in being liberal is my next question and what does being liberal mean to you.
Am I liberal! Had to think about that one. Am I generous, broad-minded, tolerant yes, my friends think so. A Democrat, No! To many aborted babies lying in coffins that should have had a life. Radical, No.

Hope that answers your question?

Thunderrr-mental

Dec 18, 2023
Am I liberal! Had to think about that one. Am I generous, broad-minded, tolerant yes, my friends think so. A Democrat, No! To many aborted babies lying in coffins that should have had a life. Radical, No.

Hope that answers your question?
it's good that your thinking 🙂

Radius

Feb 11, 2013
this earth will not end. It will be refurbished.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Many ages come to an end, so this age we are in "the information age" will end maybe, but scripture does not speak about the end of the world.