Is it true that only mankind was made in the image of God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 24, 2012
Is it true that only mankind was made in the image of God? Are animals and angels not?

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
Is it true that only mankind was made in the image of God? Are animals and angels not?
Yes, only man.
The image being spoken about is all about authority and subordinates to that authority and all of them being one. Not about physical structures.

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
yes only man. to say animals are, is idolatry and evil according to romans 1.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Yes, but further I believe only Adam and Eve were made in God's image. Until, and unless we are born again, made a NEW creation, with a NEW heart, by God Himself, we are only made in Adam's image.

Genesis 1:26-27 New King James Version (NKJV)
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over [a]all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Note here that EVEN the Messiah's Line was made in Adam's NOT God's image:

Genesis 5:3 New King James Version (NKJV)
3 And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.

Only those that were DIRECTLY made by the Lord, like us after being born again, are His Children, made in His Image.

G

GtrPkr

Yes, but further I believe only Adam and Eve were made in God's image. Until, and unless we are born again, made a NEW creation, with a NEW heart, by God Himself, we are only made in Adam's image.

Genesis 1:26-27 New King James Version (NKJV)
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over [a]all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Note here that EVEN the Messiah's Line was made in Adam's NOT God's image:

Genesis 5:3 New King James Version (NKJV)
3 And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.

Only those that were DIRECTLY made by the Lord, like us after being born again, are His Children, made in His Image.
I think I disagree here..... Remember, Christ is the very "essence" of God.... not a copy of Adam. The Word made flesh.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
I think I disagree here..... Remember, Christ is the very "essence" of God.... not a copy of Adam. The Word made flesh.
Not sure what you are disagreeing about. Seth, and ALL who followed, were made in Adam's FALLEN image, with the EXCEPTION of Jesus, because He did NOT have Adam's sin imputed to Him, because His human side came from the Seed of the woman.

We all know who His Father was. And it is through the father that our fallen sinful nature is imputed to us.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I do not believe that animals were made in God's Image, but I do believe in the concept of them bearing the signature of their maker in their genetic make-up. Two separate and distinct concepts. Just wanted to make sure they did not get scrambled together into the same omelette.

G

GtrPkr

Didn't Moses catch just a glimpse of God's shoulder? I understand that "image" means more than just our physical appearance. But I also like to think that it DOES mean in His likeness :)

G

GtrPkr

We are His children after all :)

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Didn't Moses catch just a glimpse of God's shoulder? I understand that "image" means more than just our physical appearance. But I also like to think that it DOES mean in His likeness :)
Jesus certainly appeared like any other human. So in that sense, you are right.

But there was a lot more going on than mere physical appearance when Adam and Eve were 1st created by God's own Hands.

G

GtrPkr

Jesus certainly appeared like any other human. So in that sense, you are right.

But there was a lot more going on than mere physical appearance when Adam and Eve were 1st created by God's own Hands.
Whole heartedly agree! God put His original intent for mankind into Adam and Eve, and things certainly changed at the fall... But, thank God, His intentions remain the same :)

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
By that, you mean eternality of soul?
Yes, but I think more than that. They may have been clothed with the light of God in them. Darkened and naked after their fall. Maybe even other things as well. I have seen some scholars speculate that in that form, in the form of Jesus' resurrected body, there may be as many as 20 dimensions or more.
Things that the likes of which Paul, and Isaiah, and others weren't able to describe.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
By that, you mean eternality of soul?
That is a Christian myth. Our souls are not eternal or immortal. True, we that have God's Spirit have the promise of immortality. We can therefore call ourselves immortal, but we must understand we are calling the future. Through God's record we observe He always makes good His promises. :cool:

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Yes, but I think more than that. They may have been clothed with the light of God in them. Darkened and naked after their fall. Maybe even other things as well. I have seen some scholars speculate that in that form, in the form of Jesus' resurrected body, there may be as many as 20 dimensions or more.
Things that the likes of which Paul, and Isaiah, and others weren't able to describe.
Both interesting and informative. I think it is nice to be on a thread where we can feel free to speculate. Brothers should be able to do that.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
That is a Christian myth. Our souls are not eternal or immortal. True, we that have God's Spirit have the promise of immortality. We can therefore call ourselves immortal, but we must understand we are calling the future. Through God's record we observe He always makes good His promises. :cool:
Not a myth

Ecc 3:9 What do workers gain from their toil? 10I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. 11He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet a no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

G

GtrPkr

God is the alpha and omega, He is eternity... that's why His prophecy is always true. God's promise is to share "life eternal" with us.

G

GtrPkr

All of creation is obviously not in His image, but all of creation does serve to glorify Him. :)