Is it wrong to spend money on yourself?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I think we're talking past each other because Psalm 23 can be understood in more than one sense.
When I say, "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want," I'm not claiming I have no desires, no prayers, or no concern for other people. Scripture is full of godly desires.
Paul desired the salvation of Israel (Rom. 10:1).
David desired God (Ps. 42:1).
Believers are commanded to pray for one another.
The point of Psalm 23 is not the absence of desire, but the absence of lack.
David's confidence is that because the Lord is his Shepherd, he lacks nothing necessary for God's purpose in his life.
So I have no difficulty petitioning God for the needs of others.
In fact, doing so is an act of love.
The difference is that I bring those desires to God in trust rather than anxiety.
I can sincerely desire someone's healing, salvation, provision, or deliverance while also believing that my Shepherd knows better than I do and will do what is right.
In other words: "I shall not want" does not mean "I have no desires."
It means: "I am content in the care of my Shepherd even while I bring my desires and the needs of others before Him."
I don't think those ideas are in conflict at all.


I responded to a poster that said God did not fulfill wants. I showed He does then you respond to that with a passage that implied you had no wants. Why? What did you hope to achieve?

I think you are the one who is talking past the point. I had no conversation with you until you declared you wanted for nothing.

The only reason we can say that is because the Lord God fulfills them all. Stay on track please. :)