Is long-term sadness a sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

rainacorn

Habakkuk is so underrated. I'm going to keep mentioning it.

It starts where you are-

How long, Lord, must I call for help,
but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, “Violence!”
but you do not save?
Why do you make me look at injustice?
Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?

But it ends where you need to be-

yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights.

M

marianna

Long-termed sadness is called depression. Depression is obsession of self ...EVEN if it BEGAN with a sad event, such as a death of a loved one or some other type of loss. It is the focusing of one's self with SELF. The sadness can become long termed grief and that is brought by a demon of grief coming through the 'door' of sadness that is not dealt with properly. Normal sadness over an occurrence or an event IS normal. But it should last for a relative short time, like a few weeks. Then it becomes grief and that could become demonic if not dealt with in a GODLY manner.
This is not to say that one cannot become sad when remembering a loved one. But even that sadness should fade away and lessen with time. The sadness should lessen, not the memory of the loved one.
Depression/long-term sadness or long-term grief, is NOT God's choice for how you are to live your life. So, yes, it is sin. It should be confessed as sin and prayer should ensue asking the Lord how He wants you to live your life.
According to scripture we are to choose LIFE, which speaks of Joy, peace, wisdom, etc. Depression is how the devil affects us to cause us to NOT fulfill the plan that God has created us for. It KILLS the plan of destiny that God designed us for. It STEALS our desire for LIFE. And it DESTROYS our lives, making us INEFFECTIVE for the Kingdom of God. It is impossible for a depressed person or a continually sad person to win anyone to the Lord: Who would want what a depressed/sad person has?? No one wants to be sad or depressed (although many USE it to get attention from other people...but that is a whole other ballgame of control and manipulation.) And just who is it that comes to KILL, STEAL and DESTROY??

Hope that helps!
Maggie
A demon of grief comes throuygh a door of sadness? I've never heard such a thing.

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. - Isaiah 53

I don't know about what posted - to me that sounds odd. though as a fellow redeemed in Jesus Ihave peace and joy, I myself have known sadness and depression sometimes, Its part of being a human being in a dying world. no offesne or anything i just was startled by the idea that the same things Jesus felt you said they are from devils. I dont seem comfortable with that.

Last edited:
G

GreenNnice

It is important, I think, that we understand that Selenah is truly wrestling with this idea of 'evil,' on many fronts. It's her sadness, and, no, I wouldn't call it grieving, but, 'concern,' for herself, and, for others but Sel can answer that question, if she wants. The evil going on all around her and, she thinks, that COULD get in her, is troubling her.

It's just a concern of hers, she has been seriously thinking over, for a few months now, in her mind. This thinking is not causing her to stop functioning, just stopping her from being able to fully embrace the almighty good that is God.

These are her real feelings, what she needs to understand her sadness potentially holding onto her long-term is not debate or more discussion of things of how scripture reads, but good steps/ways she can eliminate these types of evil thoughts from her mind and conscience.....

The Lord leads , let His goodness and Love comfort your thoughts, sel, may you see how--through getting into God's Word, and, discerning others' good Godly advice on c.c.--come to understanding God is soooo good to those who choose to let Him lead their life :)

Note: Sorry, if I scold anyone, sel is in a very REAL struggle within herself. And, she's done several threads on subject, at least a couple I know of. And, that knowledge should help us in keeping the focus on good verses to show her that God comforts our sadness--long-term, short-term, all-term-- for our life chosen to serve and commit to Him.

And, mari, snackers, magpie, broDon, saintlyJohn, rainbowunicorn, and, all I see are doing best can to provide great advice :)

God bless you mightily, I pray, for your good words to help.this young lady understand the goodness of God better, able to bring joy to our sad hearts when we choose His life for us .

You ALL are angels God has brought to Selenah for this question on her heart :)

Understanding evil is to know that it cannot overpower us WHEN we overpower it with good, doing the plans of God for us in our life, stepping forward in faith. God vs Satan is no contest. God won long ago, rising Jesus from dead, wins today as He constantly shows Himself working in our lives, and, He promises us hope for tomorrow. :)

S

selenah

Thanks for all the advice and everything guys. I really appreciate it, sorry I haven't responded. Idk I've been trying to figure out what to say for like an hour. Basically I'm tired and have given up trying to figure things out. Idk I'm not really sure what to say.

G

GreenNnice

Sel, I say often in my posts, 'The Lord leads,' let Him comfort and keep you, He is your Light of your world, constantly, continuously bright in your world when you choose to have Him be with you. :)
By our prayer to Him, and by His Word, He will give us words to say, and, if no words come, then that is just fine. That is the,peace and beauty of God who just wants us to , in faith, follow Him, it is simply a personal relationship God soo desires to.have with us. He leads . Psalms 23 :)

Here is another song of God comforting the sadness of our world, and I hope the angel song can show you how God casts out ALL our fears and anxieties as He comforts us or God can send angels to comfort us too. :),

Now go give some attention to those cool kitty cats of yours, milady :)

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIYw4tjLtc4[/YouTube]

Last edited by a moderator: