Is Manifesting a sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Dmarie

Jan 22, 2023
Do you guys believe in manifesting your future, career, and relationships? Or does manifesting go against God's will? Because you don't know your tomorrow, right? Only God knows, and when you manifest, you are trying to create your own path and not following God's path. Let me know your thoughts and if you have any Bible verses relating to this, please feel free to share them with me.

Dec 19, 2022
I believe that manifesting your future, career, and relationships can be a beneficial exercise, but I don't think it goes against God's will.
I believe that God has a plan for us, and that we should seek to align ourselves with His will. However, I also believe that we have the power to make our own decisions and create our own paths.
The Bible verse that comes to mind is Proverbs 16:9 which says, "The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps."
This verse reminds us that ultimately, God is in control and will guide us on our journey, even if it is not always the path we had planned for ourselves.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
First time I've ever heard the term...certainly some wisdom in being cautious about the concept but if you let God "unfold" everything for you I don't think that's his will either. There's a middle road that is going to be different for each person.

I'll get a bit more in depth tomorrow perhaps. Proverbs 16:9 is critical to this topic I agree, so also...

James 4:15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.

vs 13-14 give context and couple that with Proverbs 16:9

Your walk can get really out of balance in the opposite extreme if you wait on God to micromanage every conceivable decision.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Do you guys believe in manifesting your future, career, and relationships? Or does manifesting go against God's will? Because you don't know your tomorrow, right? Only God knows, and when you manifest, you are trying to create your own path and not following God's path. Let me know your thoughts and if you have any Bible verses relating to this, please feel free to share them with me.
Howdy Dmarie and welcome to the forum.

You are using "manifesting" in a context with which I am not familiar. Using the clues in the first post, I am going to guess "manifesting" means "planning out my life and doing what it takes to make those plans happen."

If that is what you mean by "manifesting" then no, there is nothing wrong with that. The Bible gives us a general user manual for life, with warnings to avoid some traps, but it's still up to us to look at what we're good at and decide what to make our lives into.

The only danger is if we get so set on our plans that we get all tore up when our plans get tore up. We do need to keep in touch with God and make sure our plans are not directly contradicting what He wants... Mostly to avoid wasting a lot of time and effort in something we'll have to tear down and leave behind.

ChrisTillinen

Sep 16, 2022

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Many people speak of "manifesting" in connection with the "Law of Attraction". Seems quite suspect to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction_(New_Thought)
Oh if THAT'S what manifesting is... That's just wishful thinking. You can sit around and try to attract what you want to happen, but the universe seems sublimely unconcerned with what we wish for. You'll never get a date by sitting at home wishing for it.

But sure, you can try all you want.

MessengerofTruth

Dec 21, 2022
I've talked to many people that insist the this does work.

But I would believe that the enemy is looking for opportunity to mislead all of us.

If he sees that you are open to his doctrine of coveting to get what you want, I believe that he will grant you those desires to get you from seeking the will of GOD.

We have no scriptural support that any of the patriarchs of the faith would have practiced this in fact it would seem the opposite would have been true. Many times, they did not get, on this earth, what I am sure their flesh desired.

Through much tribulation we do enter the Kingdom...

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hmm... The doctrine of coveting...

That could be very appropriate or totally miss the mark, depending on what you are trying to "manifest."

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I have come across some who believe when they pray something aloud that it will come to pass. If it doesn't, the one who prayed was somehow deficient in faith. The other extreme of not praying because all is already set in stone seems equally unbiblical to me.
I still find Proverbs 3:5-6 to be a good practice to live by.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

Dmarie

Jan 22, 2023
Many people speak of "manifesting" in connection with the "Law of Attraction". Seems quite suspect to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction_(New_Thought)
That's the one I'm referring to, the law of attraction manifestation, seems very common in this generation and I'm curious about what the bible says about this concept cos from what I see, people use the law of attraction in terms of what the "universe" will grant them and not what God will do.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
Is it a sin? nope. You're supposed to be speaking out and prophesyng the will of God over yourself and others. Things like finances,relationships,healing and all of those things are in the will of God. It's not a sin and you're not supposed to be walking in darkness as to where you don't know where you're going like most people do. Sin is separation from the will of God so if you're in agreement by building off of it as a foundation you're doing exactly what you're supposed to.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
That's the one I'm referring to, the law of attraction manifestation, seems very common in this generation and I'm curious about what the bible says about this concept cos from what I see, people use the law of attraction in terms of what the "universe" will grant them and not what God will do.
This video is a good introduction... a bit long, but helpful.

Law of Attraction, New Age Roots, & Problematic Theology.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hmm... That sounds like somebody read "The Power Of Positive Thinking" while smoking a joint, got real excited and said, "We could totally make a religion out of this!"

cinder

Mar 26, 2014

If I understand the concept correctly (which is debatable), then it basically boils down to "what you believe and the kind of person you are determines what comes in to your life and you have control over that". And I think that's very subject to confirmation bias and very much in conflict with a Biblical worldview.

Part of why it seems to work is because if you work to become a positive person, you do become more positive and life seems better even if nothing changes. If you focus on something, you're by definition looking for it, talking about it a lot, thinking about it a lot, and generally just by your focus your world revolves around that thing (singles wanting to be in relationship is a big example).

So let's use that example, suppose I'm single and I decide I'm going to manifest marriage in my life within the next few years to a guy who is A, B, and C . Well that decision (regardless of whether that whole manifestation idea works at all or not) is going to cause me to evaluate every guy I see in terms of those characteristics, might cause me to alter my behavior in order to meet more guys because I believe the "right one" is going to come in to my life, and as soon as I meet a guy who meets requirements A, B, and C I'm going to be sure that it is working and do everything I can to get into a relationship with him and be convinced on well basically "faith" in manifestation that he's the one I'm supposed to marry. And nothing has verifiably changed except my perspective on things. And most proponents of that kind of thinking have the easy out that if it didn't work, it's not because the theory is garbage but simply because you don't believe enough (and you can find incredibly similar thinking in some Christian enclaves which deal with seemingly ungranted prayers the same way because if God can't fail then you must have). But for the most part what such thinking leads to is blaming miserable people for their misery and seeing virtue (and often entitlement) in ourselves if everything is going well for us.

So while making goals and working toward them is beneficial for anyone, thinking that there's some magic in belief that will bend the universe to your will and make what you want happen isn't an objectively verifiable position to hold. And good grief, if this manifesting thing really works why don't people use it to end hunger, bring world peace and tackle all the really big problems in the world rather than just make themselves more comfortable?

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
Just another meaningless "Buzz word". Define "Manifesting" so we know what you're talking about.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
After looking it up through various sources it seems to me it's rooted only in new age oriented teachings.
The Secret and the Law of Attraction are the two most common books listed as to where the idea originated. These are both very new age books. Seemingly with Hindu roots.
The vibe to me is its a starting point or earlier lesson of these kinds of teachings.
So it would seem the basis of this notion comes from no place other than new age practices.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
If I understand the concept correctly (which is debatable), then it basically boils down to "what you believe and the kind of person you are determines what comes in to your life and you have control over that". And I think that's very subject to confirmation bias and very much in conflict with a Biblical worldview.

Part of why it seems to work is because if you work to become a positive person, you do become more positive and life seems better even if nothing changes. If you focus on something, you're by definition looking for it, talking about it a lot, thinking about it a lot, and generally just by your focus your world revolves around that thing (singles wanting to be in relationship is a big example).

So let's use that example, suppose I'm single and I decide I'm going to manifest marriage in my life within the next few years to a guy who is A, B, and C . Well that decision (regardless of whether that whole manifestation idea works at all or not) is going to cause me to evaluate every guy I see in terms of those characteristics, might cause me to alter my behavior in order to meet more guys because I believe the "right one" is going to come in to my life, and as soon as I meet a guy who meets requirements A, B, and C I'm going to be sure that it is working and do everything I can to get into a relationship with him and be convinced on well basically "faith" in manifestation that he's the one I'm supposed to marry. And nothing has verifiably changed except my perspective on things. And most proponents of that kind of thinking have the easy out that if it didn't work, it's not because the theory is garbage but simply because you don't believe enough (and you can find incredibly similar thinking in some Christian enclaves which deal with seemingly ungranted prayers the same way because if God can't fail then you must have). But for the most part what such thinking leads to is blaming miserable people for their misery and seeing virtue (and often entitlement) in ourselves if everything is going well for us.

So while making goals and working toward them is beneficial for anyone, thinking that there's some magic in belief that will bend the universe to your will and make what you want happen isn't an objectively verifiable position to hold. And good grief, if this manifesting thing really works why don't people use it to end hunger, bring world peace and tackle all the really big problems in the world rather than just make themselves more comfortable?
There are so many reactions I want to pin on this post, like agree, useful and winner. Why am I limited to only one reaction? Even Skype lets you put multiple reactions on a post.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
If I understand the concept correctly (which is debatable), then it basically boils down to "what you believe and the kind of person you are determines what comes in to your life and you have control over that".

P

I don't think that's the proper understanding of the concept.

I think what we're talking about is literally "speaking things into existence" because your words have special magical power to create... like God.

That's not Biblical.
That's not rational.

The Good, the Bad, and the Nuance:

A.) Can having a positive outlook on things be helpful?
Sure.
Being positive and optimistic often helps us to merely "persevere", or "not give up"... and that's very tangible.
There's nothing wrong with being hopeful or optimistic... as long as we're not being irrational or unbiblical.

B.) Can God bless you for being a nice person, and doing good things?
Sure.
God will often bless our good behavior, in one way or another... but very often the blessing won't be anything visible or noticeable.
Biblically we "do good" to simply PLEASE GOD... not to GET STUFF FROM GOD.
Our good deeds and good works are to please God, not to manipulate God.
God is not going to bless our greed or selfishness... our motives matters.

C.) Can we demand God, or the universe, give us what we want?
No.
This is not rational or biblical.
We are created beings, we are fallen beings, we having nothing good in us except what God puts in us... we have no authority to MAKE DEMANDS of a holy God who created the universe out of nothing, and who had to save us from our own sin because we're so lowly and wicked we couldn't save ourselves.
To make demands is to invert our relationship with a holy God... he makes demands of us, not vice versa.

D.) Can we speak things into existence, like we're God?
No.
Again, this is not rational or biblical.
We don't have any creative power, and the holy spirit isn't a "force" that we bend to our will... we aren't Jedi Nights and Star Wars isn't real.
The holy spirit is a person, not a force that we use like some kind of tool to get what we want.

E.) There is a large group of people who DO proclaim both "C" and "D" are true.
Who is this group?
This group includes: witches, occultists, new age practitioners, mystics, and Christians who are false teachers.
This is not a group we should desire to join.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
seems like a new age thing along with 'vision boards'

Though at first I thought you meant like demons 'manifesting' as in spiritual warfare. lol

The biblical advice I would give is tell God everything and He will direct your steps. There is nothing wrong with saying to God what your hopes and dreams are, but He is the one who will direct your path, you cant bulldoze your way through where He doesnt want you to go.