Is Manilla Really so Bad?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gideon007

Jun 30, 2012
it's not a rumor it's a fact, nobody wants to eat balut at daylight 'cause it's horrible (very very). even the one who loves to eat that and see the "little duckling" inside at daylight will come to puke, even myself...

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
Oh, no, Gideon! What have I started :eek:? Poor Maxwel! The crazy American girl has caused ...well, one other person anyway, to help beg him to try blaut! And it turns out that it's not even proper to eat that stuff in the daylight :eek:!

Last edited:

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
So uhh... do you guys ever just let the ducks grow up before you eat them?

: )

dliz

Filipino Room/Forum Moderator
Jun 13, 2012

uhmm... i think gideon can answer that! he owns a balut factory. hahaha.

gideon007

Jun 30, 2012
to let the ducks grow up ??? YEAH we do maxwel , we let the male ducks to live for a short while and the female ducks for a *long time as long as they can lay eggs, afterwards if they can't give us eggs then they'll go straight to the sizzling pan..:D

*female live more 'cause we need more eggs for mass production of Balut... :p

B

beloved3

Hi maxwel, I KNOW THIS IS A TAD TOO LATE as this was started in april but please indulge me. I know it's long but please allow me to balance the scales.

After reading trough the ENTIRE thread it's a little sad that there were very FEW nice things to say about my favorite city, manila. and most of those who answered are filipinos!!! whyyyy???? :| although i must admit that there really are some horror stories, there are magical ones too.. yes i said magical!!! and i just hope more would see that.

I grew up in Manila and the beautiful (and let me say it again, magical) thing about manila is that you get to witness AND exprience both ends of the its social strata at the same time at the same place. You will see the always gorgeous manila bay sunset, (on saturdays at 10PM with fireworks from the biggest mall in Asia to boot) along Roxas Blvd while you see fishermen struggling to make a catch in its arid waters. You will see skyscrapers, all proud and modern, and fronting them are streetchildren peddling candies (or sadly young girls -- peddling themselves). You will see one of the most astounding artworks in the world -- Juan Luna's Spoliarium housed with so many gems of art at the dilapidating but still glorious more than a hundred years old National Museum. You will see the Wall of Intramuros- our walled city - what used to be the Spanish seat of government - a symbol of oppression before, but now home to universities and rows and rows of filipino street food (us Asians love street food - from battered and fried quail eggs, banana or sweet potato fritters, sweet and salty squid, barbeques (or what i personally call meat-scicles), which you finish off with sago gulaman (a gelatin and tapioca drink), coconut juice, or "dirty ice cream" - don't worry we just call it that :) The national post office will take you back 300 years when our architecture is steeped with european influence -- actually most of the old buildings in manila will. Go to Cafe Adriatico (walk around remedios Circle, check out the old churches) for a true taste old world manila (and in cafe adriatico good filipino food try their knock-out knuckles and their adobo (garlic pork stew). Yes pollution and traffic is horrible, the jeepney,taxi, and bus drivers are all crazy but if you dare to open your eyes to see -- you will see what a fantastic display of color and movement they make in our streets. Some people will gawk and stare but hey you can always stare back and maybe you will ellicit an impish embarassed smile - and filipinos love to smile. They smile during floods, in crisis, even hungry begging children will smile at you if you smile at them - and the laughter of filipinos! that's something to hear - we love to laugh and sing - whether we have the chops for it or not. You see the best dressed walking alongside those who can barely afford shoes. You will see malls (Greenbelt, Rockwell, Glorietta, and mall of Asia) that stretch several blocks. You will find indian, french, german, swiss, turkish, japanese, korean, american, spanish, mediterrenean, cajun food easily. You will get to try the best and worst, see the lavish and the impoverished, experience the global and the local and that is its beauty.

I have family in the US, Canada, New Zealand and UK and most of my cousins who grew up there are happily married to non-filipino spouses and they visit often -- and few have horror stories. Or maybe they just have us to guide them and maybe teach them some polite filipino sentences that will help them get on the "good side" of opportunistic cab drivers ;)

Let me give some thoughts on Cebu and Davao:

While I have been to Cebu only twice (its in the southern part of the country and a few hours flight from Manila which is in the biggest island in the philippines-- have i mentioned we are made up of more than 7000 islands??) :) Cebu with its striking city life (and night life), inexpensive but good food (tHE BEST ROASTED SUCKLING PIG IS HERE!!!), mountains, BEACHES -- is our southern gem. Its also home to the best artisans, craftsmen and women, artists, and designers. World renowned (now you will know I am a fan) Kenneth Cobonpue hails from Cebu! If you speak spanish - you will be able to make out their dialect too :) I do not speak their dialect but since my spanish is short of decent :) i discovered i am at home there. haha

Now Davao - DAVAO is my second home. If I can just uproot my business and bring it here I will. The people are fantastic, the food is wonderful (and also cheap), the fare too, (the cab drivers drive crazier here i think than in manila), BEACHES are great - go to Isla Reta on a day tour. (but for SURREAL beaches then you must go to Palawan - either Coron or El Nido) Oh and the native fabrics are wonderful IN MINDANAO too! For someone who loves Davao so much I cannot find more words - but just be open. Ask for more to be able to see more. Most filipinos will take you to places they "think" you will love, "safe" places, places for tourists which are also great. But don't be a tourist be a traveller!

:) Katrina

I'm planning my first trip to the Philippines, sort of business mixed with vacation, and I have a lot of questions.

I've heard a lot about Manilla being horrid, and polluted, and even having high crime.
Is it really so bad?
I'd love to get some first hand info from people who actually live in the Philippines.

Thanks.

jangel

May 12, 2010
After reading trough the ENTIRE thread it's a little sad that there were very FEW nice things to say about my favorite city, manila. and most of those who answered are filipinos!!! whyyyy???? :|
because most of us who answered ate Katrina are not from Manila so we can't really say much to the place rather than saying it isn't that bad haha.

N

nettie

Don't worry beloved3, I love Manila! :) I know that there is the hustle and bustle of the city and the traffics but it will never stop me from loving it. I grew up in a province and when I was a kid I imagine Manila as a wonderland for silly reasons like there's a mall and parks, museums and zoos. The only pseudo-wonderland in our town was the Wet Market. LOL.....

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
@ Gideon007 -
Maybe when I visit your country we can share a "grown up" duck.
:) :)
Those little ones in the egg scare me to death.

@ Beloved3
Thank you for all the great information on Manila.
It was very informative.
Sorry I misspelled the name of such a great city,
but it rhymes with vanilla, and I have a very simple mind, lol.
:)

@Jangel
I think everyone has done their best to answer my dumb questions, lol.
You've all been very patient.
Nobody knew beloved3 was going to show up with her encyclopedic knowledge.

@Nettie
A wet market IS a wonderland.
Well, that's my opinion... and I'm easy to entertain.

B

beloved3

@ Gideon007 -
Maybe when I visit your country we can share a "grown up" duck.
:) :)
Those little ones in the egg scare me to death.

@ Beloved3
Thank you for all the great information on Manila.
It was very informative.
Sorry I misspelled the name of such a great city,
but it rhymes with vanilla, and I have a very simple mind, lol.

@Jangel
I think everyone has done their best to answer my dumb questions, lol.
You've all been very patient.
Nobody knew beloved3 was going to show up with her encyclopedic knowledge.

@Nettie
A wet market IS a wonderland.
Well, that's my opinion... and I'm easy to entertain.
Hahaha thanks guys. I re-read my litany.. Err.. Post and i had to smile - a little embarassed smile - it was for lack of a kinder word passionate :-D thank you for your patience!! Hahaha gideon and dliz i miss you guys. I haven't been on here in a while and you guys (esp you dliz) are doing a marvelous job here. Go pinoy!

@Nettie- yeaaaah!! Wet markets are paradise! Haha maybe we should suggest Quiapo and Divisoria too to Maxwel! If he loves wetmarkets he'll go crazy there. (And a bonus - many parts are actually dry hehe)

@Jangel - to borrow our foreign brother's words.. Pardon my encyclopedic moves. Passion goes a long way! I hope my passion for Jesus is as obvious. Hihi

@Maxwel - you sir are very welcome. Between makati and quezon city.. Makati is vibrant and active and busy. Much like the people who live here. ahem.

B

beloved3

But quezon city is cheaper and more laid back :)

gideon007

Jun 30, 2012
@ Ate beloved, miss you too Ate Beloved :D

@ maxwel, sure, i'll prepare patotin ---> stewed whole duck ,

resize_pic.jpg

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Hahaha thanks guys. I re-read my litany.. Err.. Post and i had to smile - a little embarassed smile - it was for lack of a kinder word passionate :-D thank you for your patience!! Hahaha gideon and dliz i miss you guys. I haven't been on here in a while and you guys (esp you dliz) are doing a marvelous job here. Go pinoy!

@Nettie- yeaaaah!! Wet markets are paradise! Haha maybe we should suggest Quiapo and Divisoria too to Maxwel! If he loves wetmarkets he'll go crazy there. (And a bonus - many parts are actually dry hehe)

@Jangel - to borrow our foreign brother's words.. Pardon my encyclopedic moves. Passion goes a long way! I hope my passion for Jesus is as obvious. Hihi

@Maxwel - you sir are very welcome. Between makati and quezon city.. Makati is vibrant and active and busy. Much like the people who live here. ahem.
The info on Manila was great, and I've heard a lot of good things about Makati.

@ Ate beloved, miss you too Ate Beloved :D

@ maxwel, sure, i'll prepare patotin ---> stewed whole duck ,

View attachment 52367
Gideon,
That picture of the stewed duck is making me really hungry, lol.
What kinds of seasonings and things do you put on the duck?

A

Accune

My wife and I were in Makati in February and it was pretty interesting.She showed me around and the people were really sociable and friendly.Oh man the food was superb as well.

A

Accune

030.JPG 029.JPG
My wife and I were in Makati in February and it was pretty interesting.She showed me around and the people were really sociable and friendly.Oh man the food was superb as well.

gideon007

Jun 30, 2012
That picture of the stewed duck is making me really hungry, lol.
What kinds of seasonings and things do you put on the duck?
i forgot what were the seasonings used, and the last time i ate stewed duck was 10 years ago..LOL

seasonings and stuffs used vary from land to land here in Philippines.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
i forgot what were the seasonings used, and the last time i ate stewed duck was 10 years ago..LOL

seasonings and stuffs used vary from land to land here in Philippines.
So what do they do with ducks in your region?

gideon007

Jun 30, 2012
on the picture i posted the stewed duck is golden brown while the one which my father cooked for us a decade or so was really brown i mean dark brown ;) , maybe he put a lot of soy sauce on that but it taste good as far as my memory can recall.. :p

O

overthechill

manilla's ok but I like chocolate too.

dliz

Filipino Room/Forum Moderator
Jun 13, 2012
I just realized that maxwell mispelled manila. :)