Is Michael Another Name For Jesus?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 20, 2022
This Topic really brings forth the Hypocrisy and Demonic viewpoints.

The SDA are typically vegans when Jesus and other Jews ate Lamb for special occasions like Passover...

They keep the Sabbath when Paul in Colossians tells us not to listen to when they judge you toward not following the Sabbath.

The JWs don't send their people to join the Military and will participate in burning the flag when God's people was about Military + when Jesus Returns we're going to the WAR and BATTLE taking place in Armageddon.

They don't honor Holidays even though God had the Jews to remember Passover and the Other special Events.

They don't honor Birthdays but yet how do we know Jesus was 30 years old when He began preaching if they didn't remember they became a year older with each passing year.

And then they come here and think they can tell us Michael is Jesus when we have the factual writing from Enoch and others concerning the Watchers or Arch Angels of the Ancient of Days.

This Thread feels more like Spiritual Warfare than anything else.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
I wanted to expand on this comparison of the two spoken of by daniel, the man in linen (who faught with the Prince of Persia) and Michael (who came to His assistance).

the man is described as "in the likeness of a man" in the same way that Michael is described by a question, and I believe a rhetorical question at that because the answer is obviously 'no one other than God Himself', as it so seems to me.

On the other hand, Jesus' Name (God IS Salvation). Jesus is not actually 'like' any other man, nor is He 'like' unto God, He IS the Alpha and Omega, the First and The Last.
Yes, the man in linen in Daniel 10, is obviously Jesus.

Michael is just an angel.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Why don't those churches agree when filled with 'the Holy Ghost'?
because many churches are built on this

“But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭2:1-2‬ ‭KJV‬‬

instead of this

Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.”
‭‭John‬ ‭18:37‬ ‭

Much of The church is in bondage in because much of it is not focused here

“Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:31-32‬ ‭KJV‬‬

abut that’s why we were warned 1900 years ago what would happen in the future and how to avoid being dragged away into it

“I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:1-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

many churches haven’t received the Holy Ghost because they are trying to avoid what Jesus said in the gospel

it begins subtly to teach people to not believe Jesus words concerning a believers salvation

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;

but he that believeth not shall be damned.

So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, ( Gods word has been spoken ) he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:15-16, 19-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

So you have this marvelous statement made of faith spoken by our Lord and it’s meant for every creature on earth this of course after Jesus is baptized and preached the gospel among them he then tells those who believed him to do this

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved;

but he that believeth not shall be damned.”

Matthew tells us specifics that mark doesn’t of this address so we understand the right word to share with all people

“And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:18-20‬ ‭KJV‬‬

So when mark says “ go into the world and preach the gospel to all creatures whoever believes and is baptized shall be saved “ we learn more specifically the word to preach which is The gospel Jesus came to the world to preach and send out to all people saying “ believe the lord and be saved “

The first commandment Jesus really gave us to preach the gospel he preached to them to everyone else and to baptize them in his name for remission of sins

which is even more revealed here in what Peter immediately began to do when he receive the holy spirit as Jesus said they would

first peters stands and starts preaching the gospel and concludes here at this conclusion

“This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

( they now accept that this must be true of Jesus and it brings them to repentance and remission of sins so )

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them,

( what we do )
Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,

( what he gives us )
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:32-33, 36-39, 41‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Peter was obeying Jesus by the Holy Ghost he had received already being born of water for remission and spirit for life Peter and all the people wrotten in the four gospel accounts had already done this

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:15-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

now they were beginning to carry out the great commission to preach it to all people jew and gentile all creatures offering remission of sins to them also

If we heard what God actually said and believed it’s true and acted in that belief getting baptized believing what Jesus has said our salvation we would be stepping forth in faith .

“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

But since the beginning , the subtly begins straight away with a question “ do we really need to believe what Jesus said and get baptized to be saved ?”

Like this

“And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭2:16-17‬ ‭KJV‬

And then the subtlety that begins with a question of a simple true word of God

“Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3:1‬ ‭KJV‬‬

a and then comes the false doctrine which declares by default “ god lord to you with his word hear my word instead “

“And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: for God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭3:4-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

God said don’t do it or you’ll surely die Satan says that’s not true God knows it will make you as gods “

That is the battle of a believer adam when his wife told him this false doctrine which began with the devil failed to stay with believing Gods word of life and death and followed the lie the false doctrine that lead to their demise which God clearly warned ahead of time would happen

But Jesus showed us how to overcome simply by believing Gods word rather than the devils

“Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

(he tempts Jesus again )

Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

(he tempts Jesus again trying to bribe him with the fallen world )

Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭4:1, 3-4, 7, 10-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

jesus showed us what Adam failed to do adam also could have said to eve when she spread the false doctrine and even eve could have said tonthe serpent

“ get behind me Satan for God just told us the truth that the fruit is forbidden because it will cause our certain death “

But instead they heartened to satans words and decided “ the fruit must not really be deadly it will make us wiser let’s eat “

before satans doctrine came they would have just believed what God said and acted appropriately

agate what false doctrine has done to the church many won’t accept the truth or way of truth spoken by the lord to all creatures so we have division and combat within the body regarding doctrine so many false teachings have infiltrated the gospel and Gods own true words we all are supposed to hear and believe and be saved

oyster67

May 24, 2014
oyster67 said:
Do you believe that Jesus was born of a virgin?

But if Jesus is biologically related to David, then of course he's biologically related to Adam too.
He was God. Whether or not He inherited any of Mary's facial features or chromosomes is irrelevant. His Father was God. He was God.

The New Testament verifies that Jesus satisfies the biological requirement in those Psalms.
What is important is the spiritual requirement that He be without sin. The spotless sacrificial lamb of God.

Many of the scoffers of that day sought to imply that Jesus was born in sin. Are you casting your lot among them?

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
FAQ: Why are so many Christians against Jesus and Adam biologically
related?

REPLY: Because there's the matter of original sin and the so-called fallen
nature to reckon with. Doubters are thoroughly unable to figure out a logical
way to isolate him from either of those circumstances except by means of
his virgin conception; which of course is quite futile.
_

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
related?

_
Haven't you heard of the continuity of germ plasm?

He was born of a virgin for a reason.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
No, the Bible makes a distinction between the Uncreated Angel (Messnger) of the LORD (Father) and the created angels (like Gabriel, and the angelic hosts). That is the purpose of Hebrews 1. Yet, the created messengers (heavenly or earrthly) are the "fellows" of the uncreated Messenger (Son).

I have not twisted anything, but simply provided the texts (like Malachi 3:1) that show that the Son has the office of "Angel" (Messenger). It is not derogatory, nor blasphemous to repeat this from scripture. It is not heresy, but accepted by all of Christianity from the earliest post-apostolic (12 Apostles) times. I provided those citations also. Would you like for me to post them individually here for you to see?

Hebrews 1 is not against the OP, nor myself, but in full agreement, for as the Son is the "Angel (Messenger) of the LORD (Father)" does not make Him a created being, so too that the Son is the "Apostle" (one Sent) of the Father, does not make Him a created being. To speak for and to be sent by someone else, is simply stating something about an office, place or position, not a nature.

You do not accept what the word "angel" means. I provided the scriptural defintion, and the definition held by all of Christianity in the past. Your present and private definition excludes "office", "position", and substitutes in their place "nature".

Gabriel is indeed an "angel", but this says nothing about his nature, but rather his office, or position as given by God. It means he is a messenger. Other context dictates whether or not he is a created being, such as when persons attempt bowing down to him, he refuses, and says to worship God alone. That indicates this "angel" (messenger) is a created being.

Yet, when we see such words associated with the Son, like "Angel of the LORD", etc, the context simply refers to His coming on behalf of the Father's will, to say what the Father gave Him to say. It does not indicate Him to be a created being. It simply means He is a messenger for another. The context surrounding those passages, reveal that the Son accepts worship due to Deity. This means He is an uncreated being, but still a messenger. The two things are not exclusive, but reveal differing things about the person involved.

For instance, I can say that I am both a person of mankind (nature), and an 'angel' (a position of office, place or responsibility, a messenger for another, as John the Baptist, Malachi 3:1).

A person can be a human (nature) and a garbage (sanitation)-person (position, office, responsibility, job, function).

The word 'mal'ak' (Hebrew), or 'aggelos" (koine Greek) only means "messenger" (period). Neither word has anything to do with an inherent nature. it refers to position, office, job, function, not nature.
"Would you like for me to post them individually here for you to see? "
Yes, please thanks daniel with link to the primary source too.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I didn't realize the SDA believed Michael were Jesus. I kept thinking they were being confused with the LDS but, now I'm confused. Do both groups believe this? or did I get mixed up about who believes what?
I do not want to add to your confusion, but let's let the LDS speak for themselves. Below is quotes from their site.

For an Mormon source for clairifactaion only, I think it is nonsense what they believe.
"
Michael
See also Adam; Archangel

The name by which Adam was known in the premortal life. He is called the Archangel. In Hebrew the name means “Who is like God.”

Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help Daniel, Dan. 10:13, 21 (D&C 78:16).

In the last days shall Michael stand up, the great prince, Dan. 12:1.

Michael the archangel contended with the devil, Jude 1:9.

Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, Rev. 12:7 (Dan. 7).

Michael is Adam, D&C 27:11 (D&C 107:53–57; 128:21).

Michael, the Lord’s archangel, shall sound his trump, D&C 29:26.

Michael will gather his armies and fight Satan, D&C 88:112–115.

The voice of Michael was heard detecting the devil, D&C 128:20.

Adam is the Ancient of Days and is also known as Michael (Dan. 7; D&C 27:11; 107:53–54; 116; 138:38). He is the archangel (D&C 107:54) and will come again to the earth as the patriarch of the human family (D&C 116).

Michael, or Adam, is the archangel or chief angel.

The Lord shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, 1 Thes. 4:16.

Michael is the archangel, Jude 1:9 (D&C 29:26; 88:112; 128:20–21).

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/gs/michael?lang=eng

Clearly the LDS, Mormon plosition is UNBIBLICAL.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Thank you for obliging my inquiry! I will have to go back and read through the post to see if I can find any context addressing why it might be believed that Michael is not created which, if found to be valid, would then equate Him to Jesus.
In this long thread, I missed "Michael is not created " a recap first with the qouted scriptures with links and simple summary of how that was arrived at. Thanks, Daniel

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
You need to read Enoch. There's a reason why Enoch is quoted so many times in the New Testament because the Jews held to his sayings like a Gospel.

Michael is most definitely created like the other Watchers.
"
ENOCH, BOOKS OF (Ethiopic and Slavonic):
By: Richard Gottheil, Enno Littmann
Table of Contents
Apocryphal works attributed to Enoch. From Gen. v. 24 ("Enoch walked with God" and "God took him") a cycle of Jewish legends about Enoch was derived, which, together with apocalyptic speculations naturally ascribed to such a man, credited with superhuman knowledge, found their literary expression in the Books of Enoch. Of this literature a collection of fragments or single, independent pieces has come down to us in the socalled "Ethiopic Enoch," whereas the Slavonic Book of Enoch gives, as it were, a résumé of most of the current oral or literary traditions about its hero, which it brings into a certain system of its own. So far as can be judged from these books, the legends of Enoch are the following: (1) He went during his lifetime to heaven, "walked" with God's angels over all heaven (or heavens) and earth, came back to his family and told them what he had seen, and finally was again taken up to heaven. (2) During his journeys he saw the secrets of heaven and earth, that is, the natural phenomena. (3) He saw what had become of the angels, "sons of God," who, according to Gen. vi. 1-4, had come to earth and sinned with the daughters of men. (4) He interceded for these fallen angels. In 3 and 4 evidently two different cycles of legends have crossed each other, but whether 3 precedes 4, or vice versa, is hard to tell. These legends, a more popular form of tradition, are, however, not preserved unimpaired, but are strongly influenced and developed by the literary traditions which deal mainly with apocalyptic ideas.
" https://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/#stq=book of Enoch&stp=1

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
No, it isn't. That's a myth perpetuated by those who have not done an actual collation between the several texts. The NT quotes the OT, as does 1,2,3 pseudopigraphical 'Enoch'.
Jude 14-15 It was also about these that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, “See, the Lord is coming with ten thousands of his holy ones, to execute judgment on all, and to convict everyone of all the deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

I think they'd be okay with that if only they could see that Phil 2:6-11
entitles the Word's flesh to the name and rank of God.

Were I to argue the deity of Christ with a JW, that's where I'd put the
emphasis because it's much easier to discuss a man's ascent to the position
of God rather than trying to prove one of Adam's biological descendants has
always been God.
_
i find equally irrational the notion that a man could become God as the idea that God could cease to be God.

both are contrary to the nature of God as witnessed by the clear testimony of scripture & the things which are seen.

That God was manifest in the flesh is neither the 'obstacle' nor 'impossibility' you seem to think it to be.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
related?

_
jesus was the son of Mary , who was a descendant of Adam and Eve

i don’t think anyone’s opposed to acknolwedge Jesus was born of a woman in flesh and blood like any man is

And yes of course Jesus was born of a virgin God did that for a sign that the messiah had come he doesn’t use trick wording when he declares something like this

“Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.”
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭7:14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

At he same lord who said “ let there be light “ and then light shined . Said “ a virgin shall conceive and bear a son “

Mary’s conception of Jesus is accomplishing that word of God coming to pass or being “ fulfilled “ so you have all these witnesses like Matthew

“But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, And they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭1:20-23‬ ‭

clearly marys conception is a flu fill e t of Gods word spoken hindreds of years beforehand by Gods Will alone Jesus was born not by human Will of flesh and blood the power of the spirit of God to bring forth his words caused Mary to conceive she was certainly a virgin or the Bible has lied to us

hearing and believing is the way

Oct 28, 2022
Jude 14-15 It was also about these that Enoch, in the seventh generation from Adam, prophesied, saying, “See, the Lord is coming with ten thousands of his holy ones, to execute judgment on all, and to convict everyone of all the deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”
That's quoting Deut. 33:2 and Genesis, not so-called 'enoch'. Both Jude and 'so called enoch' are citing the OT. That's why they are similar, not that jude is citing so called 'enoch'.

Oct 28, 2022
The problem is, there is a lot. I do not desire to get into trouble for 'spamming' the board, so I will post what I can.

Mind you, I am only posting that which was in regards to identity of the Son as "the Angel of the LORD" (and such like citaions) among post apostolic (12 apostles) writers as we have them. This first one is in English, as I could not manually type the syriack out.

[1] Melito of Sardis (wrote AD 165 – AD 175, died c. AD 180) was the bishop of Sardis near Smyrna in western Anatolia.

Cureton's Spicilegium Syriacum, contaning remains of Bardeson, Meliton, Ambrose and Mara Bar Serapion. Now first edited, with an English translation and notes, by the Rev. William Cureton, M.A. F.R.S. Chaplain in Ordinary to the Queen, Rector of St. Margaret's, and Canon of Westminster. London: Francis and John Rivington, St. Paul's Churchyard and Waterloo Place. 1855.​
"... [Page 53] From Meliton the Bishop; On Faith.​
We have made collections from the Law and the Prophets relative to those things which have been declared respecting our Lord Jesus Christ, that we may prove to your love, that He is perfect reason, the Word of God; who was begotten before the light; who was Creator together with the Father; who was the fashioner of man; who was all in all; who among the Patriarchs was Patriarch; who in the law was the Law; among the priests Chief priest; amongst kings Governor; among prophets the Prophet; among the angels Archangel; in the Voice the Word; among spirits Spirit; in the Father the Son; in God God- the king forever and ever. For this was He who was pilot to Noah; who conducted Abraham; who was bound with Isaac, who was in exile with Jacob, who was sold with Joseph, who was captain with Moses; who was the divider of the inheritance with Jesus the Son of Nun, who in David and the prophets foretold his own sufferings, who was incarnate in the Virgin, who was born at Bethlehem, (33) who was wrapped in swaddling clothes in the manger, who was seen of the shepherd, who was glorified of the angels, who was worshipped of the Magi, who was pointed out by John, who assembled the Apostles, who preached the kingdom, who healed the maimed, who gave light to the blind, who raised the dead, who appeared in the temple, who was not believed on by the people, who was betrayed by [Page 53-54] Judas, who was laid hold on by the priests, who was condemned by Pilate, who was transfixed in the flesh, who was hanged upon the tree, who was buried in the earth, who rose from the dead, who appeared to the Apostles, who ascended to heaven, who sitteth on the right hand of the Father, who is the rest of those that are departed, the recoverer of those who were lost, the light of those who are in darkness, the deliverer of those who are captives, the guide of those who have gone astray, the refuge of the afflicted, the bridegroom of the Church, the charioteer of the Cherubim, the captain of the angels, God who is of God, the Son who is of the Father, Jesus Christ, the King for ever and ever. Amen. ..." [Pages 53-54] - https://archive.org/stream/spicilegiumsyria00cureuoft#page/53/mode/1up

Oct 28, 2022
Secondary source, the ROman Catholic Encyclopedia:

[2] Roman Catholic Encyclopedia:

The Catholic Encyclopedia, an international work of reference on the Constitution, Doctrine, Disciple, and History of the Catholic Church, Edited by Charles G. Herbermann, Ph.D., LL.D. Edward A. Pace, Ph. D., D.D. Conde B. Pallen, PhD., LL.D. Thomas J. Shahan, D.D. John J. Wynne, S.J. Assisted by Numerous Collaborators ["... fully 500 ... and 150 editorial assistants" - To the Knights of Columbus and their Friends], Fifteen Volumes and Index, Volume 1 [Aachen - Assize], Special Edition under the Auspices of the Knight of Columbus Catholic Truth Committee; New York, The Encyclopedia Press, Inc., Nihil Obstat, November 1, 1907; Remy Lafort, S.T.D. Censor; Imprimatur [Maltese Cross] John Cardinal Farley, Archbishop of New York; Copyright, 1907 by Robert Appleton Company; Copyright, 1913 by the Encyclopedia Press, Inc.​
"... [Page 479] We have had occasion to mention the Septuagint version more than once, and it may not be amiss to indicate a few passages where it is our only source of information regarding the angels. The best known passage is Isaiah 9:6, where the Septuagint gives the name of the Messias, as "the Angel of great Counsel". …​
... But while we read of "the Angels of God" meeting Jacob (Gen., XXXII, 1) we at other times read of one who is termed "the Angel of God" par excellence, e.g. Gen., XXXI, 11. ... the story in Gen., XIII, develops, the speaker is always "the Lord". Thus in the account of the Angel of the Lord who visited Gideon (Judges, VI), the visitor is alternately spoken of as "the Angel of the Lord" and as "the Lord". Similarly, in Judges, XIII, the Angel of the Lord appears, and both Manue and his wife exclaim: "We shall certainly die because we have seen God." ... in the story of the Exodus it is the Lord who goes before them in the pillar of a cloud (Exod., XIII, 21), and the Septuagint makes no change (cf. also Num., XIV, 14, and Neh., IX, 7-20). ... When we turn to Exod., XXXIII, where God is angry with His people for worshipping the golden calf, it is hard not to feel that it is God Himself who has hitherto been their guide, but who now refuses to accompany them any longer. … [Page 479-480]
... [Page 480] The Massoretic text as well as the Vulgate of Exodus 3 and 19-20 clearly represent the Supreme Being as appearing to Moses in the bush and on Mount Sinai; ... The person of "the angel of the Lord" finds a counterpart in the personification of Wisdom in the Sapiential books and in at least one passage (Zechariah 3:1) it seems to stand for that "Son of Man" whom Daniel (7:13) saw brought before "the Ancient of Days". Zacharias says: "And the Lord showed me Jesus the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord, and Satan stood on His right hand to be His adversary". Tertullian regards many of these passages as preludes to the Incarnation; as the Word of God adumbrating the sublime character in which He is one day to reveal Himself to men (cf. Against Praxeas 16; Against Marcion 2.27, 3.9, 1.10, 1.21-22). ... The earlier Fathers, going by the letter of the text, maintained that it was actually God Himself who appeared. He who appeared was called God and acted as God. It was not unnatural then for Tertullian, as we have already seen, to regard such manifestations in the light of preludes to the Incarnation, and most of the Eastern Fathers followed the same line of thought. It was held as recently as 1851 by Vandenbroeck, "Dissertatio Theologica de Theophaniis sub Veteri Testamento" (Louvain). ...​
... St. Augustine (Sermo vii, de Scripturis, P.G. V) when treating of the burning bush (Exodus 3) says: "... . . . Some maintain that he is called both the Lord and the angel of the Lord because he was Christ, indeed the prophet (Isaiah 9:6, Septuagint Version) clearly styles Christ the 'Angel of great Counsel.'"The saint proceeds to show that such a view is tenable though we must be careful not to fall into Arianism in stating it. ...​
... As an instance of how convinced some of the Fathers were in holding ..., we may note Theodoret's words (In Exod.): "The whole passage (Exodus 3) shows that it was God who appeared to him. But (Moses) called Him an angel in order to let us know that it was not God the Father whom he saw — for whose angel could the Father be? — but the Only-begotten Son, the Angel of great Counsel" (cf. Eusebius, Church History I.2.7; St. Irenaeus, Against Heresies 3:6). …" [Roman Catholic Online Encyclopedia; Section "A", subsection "Angels", part "The term "angel" in the Septuagint"] - http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01476d.htm

Oct 28, 2022
[3] Augustine of Hippo (AD 13 November 354 – AD 28 August 430) was an early Christian theologian, philosopher and bishop of Hippo Regius (present-day Annaba, Algeria) located in the Roman province of Africa.

[Latin] Aurelii augustini de civitate dei primi libri incipiunt rubrice. by N. Jensen. 1475.​
"... [page 461] Liber XVIII ... De triu, prophetaru vaticinio id est aggei zacharie et malachie. c. XXXV. ...​
... Sacrificium autem iudeorum quibus dictum est: non est mihi voluntas in vobis: nec accipiam de manibus vestris munus: cessasse negare non possunt: quid adhuc expectant alium christum: quum hoc quod prophetatum legunt et impletum vident: impleri non potuerit nisi per ipsum? Dicit enim paulo post de ipso ex persona dei. Testamentum meum erat cum eo vitae et pacis: et dedi ei ut timore timeret me: et a facie nominis mei revereretur. Lex veritatis erat in ore ipsius: in pace dirigens ambulavit mecum: et multos convertit ab iniquitate: quoniam labia sacerdotis custodient scientiam: et legem inquirent ex ore eius quoniam angelus Domini omnipotentis est. Nec mirandum est quia omnipotentis dei angelus dictus est christus iesus. Sicut enim servus propter formam servi in qua venit ad homines: sic et angelus propter euangelium quod nuntiavit hominibus. Nam si graece ista interpretemur: et euangelium bona nuntiatio est et angelus nuntius. De ipso quippe iterum dicit. [Page 461-462]
Ecce mittam angelum meum: et prospiciet viam ante faciem meam: et subito veniet in templum suum Dominus quem vos quaeritis: et angelus testameti quem vos vultis: ecce venit dicit dominus omnipotens: et quis sustinebit diem introitus eius: aut quis resistet in adspectu eius: hoc loso et primum et secundum christi praenuntiavit adventum. Primum scilicet de quo ait. Et subito veniet in templum suum id est in carnem suam: de qua dixit in euangelio: solvite templum hoc et in triduo resuscitabo illud. Secundum vero ubi ait. Ecce venit dicit dominus omnipotens: et quis sustinebit diem introitus eius: aut quis resistet in adspectu eius: Quod autem dicit dominus quem vos quaeritis: et angelus testameti quem vos vultis: significavit utique etiam iudaeos secundum scripturas quas legunt christum quaerere et velle. Sed multi eorum quem quaesierunt et voluerunt venisse non agnoverunt, excoecati in cordibus suis praecedentibus meritis suis. Quod sane hic nominat testamentum vel supra ubi ait testamentum meum erat cum eo: vel hic ubi eum dixit angelum testamenti: novum procul dubio testamentum debemus accipere: ubi sempiterna non vetus ubi temporalia sunt promissa: ..." [Page 461-462; also combined/corrected with Page 204 in Google Books edition. 1825] - https://archive.org/stream/augustinidecivitatedei00jensuoft#page/n461/mode/1up

[English] The City of God; Book XVIII; Chapter 35. - Of the Prophecy of the Three Prophets, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi.​
"... their sacrifice has ceased, why do they still look for another Christ, when they read this in the prophecy, and see it fulfilled, which could not be fulfilled except through Him? And a little after he says of Him, in the person of God, "My covenant was with Him of life and peace: and I gave to Him that He might fear me with fear, and be afraid before my name. The law of truth was in His mouth: directing in peace He has walked with me, and has turned away many from iniquity. For the Priest's lips shall keep knowledge, and they shall seek the law at His mouth: for He is the Angel of the Lord Almighty." Malachi 2:5-7 Nor is it to be wondered at that Christ Jesus is called the Angel of the Almighty God. For just as He is called a servant on account of the form of a servant in which He came to men, so He is called an angel on account of the evangel which He proclaimed to men. For if we interpret these Greek words, evangel is "good news," and angel is "messenger." Again he says of Him, "Behold I will send mine angel, and He will look out the way before my face: and the Lord, whom you seek, shall suddenly come into His temple, even the Angel of the testament, whom you desire. Behold, He comes, says the Lord Almighty, and who shall abide the day of His entry, or who shall stand at His appearing?" But what he says, "The Lord whom you seek, and the Angel of the testament whom you desire," just means that even the Jews, according to the Scriptures which they read, shall seek and desire Christ. But many of them did not acknowledge that He whom they sought and desired had come, being blinded in their hearts, which were preoccupied with their own merits. Now what he here calls the testament, either above, where he says, "My testament had been with Him," or here, where he has called Him the Angel of the testament, we ought, beyond a doubt, to take to be the new testament, in which the things promised are eternal, and not the old,in which they are only temporal. ..." - http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/120118.htm