Is personal prophecy scriptural?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
It just occurred to me that every single prophesy is spoken from one person to another person

The holy spirit speaks the prophesy to a person.
If you can't share the scriptures on which you base your teaching I can only assume you aren't familiar enough with God's word to find them or you don't base it on God's word but on teachings of men.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
Here's the verse:

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

It's the teaching, rebuking, and correcting that trains up God's servants, not merely the reading of scripture. This requires relationships... like Paul had with Timothy, Titus, and Silvanus, for examples.

See, Paul is not writing this in a bubble. He's writing to his son in the Lord, Timothy. Timothy would know how to train others up by the way Paul trained him up. This is the pattern shown to us by Jesus and the disciples.
Scriptural doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness come from the authority of Scripture alone; not from some extra-biblical "revelation" some crackpot claims is "specifically for you". That has no authority.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
John 21v18...

Also see the OT examples...
Are you JonathanBentley? My question was addressed to him. I ask because you have the same initials. In any case, what is the connection between Jesus giving a personal prophecy to Peter and the ongoing practice today? Is there teaching in the New Testament that justifies it?

"Most assuredly, I say to you, when you were younger, you girded yourself and walked where you wished; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish." John 21:18

As for the Old Testament scriptures, yes, they did happen. But where's the connection to us? Where is the doctrine in the New Testament that clearly shows this practice is relevant for us today?

Jan 15, 2023
Though The Gift of PROPHECY still exists today its function has changed. the complete cannon eliminated the office of PROPHET (foretelling) but became a gift of FORTHTELLING...which is ALWAYS WHEN USED CORRECTLY PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SPECIFIC VERSES OF SCRIPTURE FITTING FOR ONES CIRCUMSTANCE..
THE BATTLE RAGES TIL THE LION ROARS!!
Clarence

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Though The Gift of PROPHECY still exists today its function has changed. the complete cannon eliminated the office of PROPHET (foretelling) but became a gift of FORTHTELLING...which is ALWAYS WHEN USED CORRECTLY PUBLIC OR PRIVATE SPECIFIC VERSES OF SCRIPTURE FITTING FOR ONES CIRCUMSTANCE..
THE BATTLE RAGES TIL THE LION ROARS!!
Clarence
That's nice, but without any scripture verses it's just your opinion isn't it.

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
If you can't share the scriptures on which you base your teaching I can only assume you aren't familiar enough with God's word to find them or you don't base it on God's word but on teachings of men.
Jacob spoke prophecy to each one of his sons,

Through the ages God saw fit to bestow the gift of prophecy on various individuals such as Enoch, Anna, and Simeon, to name a few. This excerpt shows God’s endowment of the gift of prophecy upon Jacob during the last days of his life.

Joseph brought Jacob before Pharaoh, and introduced his much honored father to the king. Jacob blessed Pharaoh for his kindness to his son Joseph. And Pharaoh said unto Jacob, How old art thou? And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, The days of the years of my pilgrimage are an hundred and thirty years; few and evil have the days of the years of my life been, and have not attained unto the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their pilgrimage.

Jacob told the king his years had been few and evil. That is, he had seen much trouble, and suffered much perplexity, which had cut short his years. The life of Jacob had not been smooth and peaceful. The jealousy of his wives had brought a train of evils. Some of his children had grieved him, and made his life very bitter. But the last years of Jacob’s life were more peaceful. His sons had reformed.

Divine Revelations
As Jacob was about to die, his children gathered about him to receive his blessing, and to listen to his last words of advice to them. He forgave his children for all their unfilial conduct, and for their wicked treatment of Joseph, which had caused him many years of grief as he had reflected upon his supposed dreadful death.

As he spoke with his children for the last time, the Spirit of the Lord rested upon him, and he uttered prophecies concerning them which reached far in the future. While under the spirit of inspiration he laid open before them their past life, and their future history, revealing the purposes of God in regard to them. He showed them that God would by no means sanction cruelty, or wickedness.

He commenced with the eldest. Although Reuben had no hand in selling Joseph, yet previous to that transaction he had grievously sinned. His course was corrupt, for he had transgressed the law of God. Jacob uttered his prophecy in regard to him. Reuben, thou art my first-born, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power, unstable as water, thou shalt not excel.

A Painful Truth
He then prophesied in regard to Simeon and Levi, who practiced deception to the Shechemites, and then in a most cruel, revengeful manner destroyed them. They were also the ones who were the most guilty in the case of Joseph. Simeon and Levi are brethren, instruments of cruelty are in their habitations. O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honor, be not thou united; for in their anger they slew a man, and in their self-will they digged down a wall. Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce, and their wrath, for it was cruel. I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.

God by the spirit of prophecy elevated the mind of Jacob above his natural feelings.

Jacob thus uttered the words of inspiration to his sorrowing sons, presenting before them the light in which God viewed their deeds of violence, and that he would visit them for their sins. His prophetic words in regard to his other sons were not as gloomy.

Prophetic Waymarks
In regard to Judah, Jacob’s words of inspiration were more joyful. His prophetic eye looked hundreds of years in the future to the birth of Christ, and he said, “The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come, and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

Jacob predicted a cheerful future for most of his sons. Especially of Joseph he uttered words of eloquence of a happy character. Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well, whose branches run over the wall. The archers have sorely grieved him, and shot at him, and hated him; but his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob. From thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel. The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors, unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills. They shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren.

Jacob was an affectionate father. The words he uttered to his children were not his, spoken because he had retained an unforgiving spirit on account of their wrongs. He had forgiven them. He had loved them to the last.

He mourned deeply at the loss of Joseph, and when Simeon was retained in Egypt, he manifested grief, and expressed his anxious wish that his children should return safely from Egypt with their brother Simeon. He had no resentful feeling toward his sorrowing children.

But God by the spirit of prophecy elevated the mind of Jacob above his natural feelings. In his last hours angels were all around him, and the power of the grace of God shone upon him. His paternal feelings would have led him to only utter in his dying testimony expressions of love and tenderness. But under the influence of inspiration he uttered truth, although painful.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021

Through the ages God saw fit to bestow the gift of prophecy on various individuals such as Enoch, Anna, and Simeon, to name a few. This excerpt shows God’s endowment of the gift of prophecy upon Jacob during the last days of his life.

Joseph brought Jacob before Pharaoh, and introduced his much honored father to the king. Jacob blessed Pharaoh for his kindness to his son Joseph. And Pharaoh said unto Jacob, How old art thou? And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, The days of the years of my pilgrimage are an hundred and thirty years; few and evil have the days of the years of my life been, and have not attained unto the days of the years of the life of my fathers in the days of their pilgrimage.

Jacob told the king his years had been few and evil. That is, he had seen much trouble, and suffered much perplexity, which had cut short his years. The life of Jacob had not been smooth and peaceful. The jealousy of his wives had brought a train of evils. Some of his children had grieved him, and made his life very bitter. But the last years of Jacob’s life were more peaceful. His sons had reformed.

Divine Revelations
As Jacob was about to die, his children gathered about him to receive his blessing, and to listen to his last words of advice to them. He forgave his children for all their unfilial conduct, and for their wicked treatment of Joseph, which had caused him many years of grief as he had reflected upon his supposed dreadful death.

As he spoke with his children for the last time, the Spirit of the Lord rested upon him, and he uttered prophecies concerning them which reached far in the future. While under the spirit of inspiration he laid open before them their past life, and their future history, revealing the purposes of God in regard to them. He showed them that God would by no means sanction cruelty, or wickedness.

He commenced with the eldest. Although Reuben had no hand in selling Joseph, yet previous to that transaction he had grievously sinned. His course was corrupt, for he had transgressed the law of God. Jacob uttered his prophecy in regard to him. Reuben, thou art my first-born, my might, and the beginning of my strength, the excellency of dignity, and the excellency of power, unstable as water, thou shalt not excel.

A Painful Truth
He then prophesied in regard to Simeon and Levi, who practiced deception to the Shechemites, and then in a most cruel, revengeful manner destroyed them. They were also the ones who were the most guilty in the case of Joseph. Simeon and Levi are brethren, instruments of cruelty are in their habitations. O my soul, come not thou into their secret; unto their assembly, mine honor, be not thou united; for in their anger they slew a man, and in their self-will they digged down a wall. Cursed be their anger, for it was fierce, and their wrath, for it was cruel. I will divide them in Jacob, and scatter them in Israel.

God by the spirit of prophecy elevated the mind of Jacob above his natural feelings.

Jacob thus uttered the words of inspiration to his sorrowing sons, presenting before them the light in which God viewed their deeds of violence, and that he would visit them for their sins. His prophetic words in regard to his other sons were not as gloomy.

Prophetic Waymarks
In regard to Judah, Jacob’s words of inspiration were more joyful. His prophetic eye looked hundreds of years in the future to the birth of Christ, and he said, “The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come, and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

Jacob predicted a cheerful future for most of his sons. Especially of Joseph he uttered words of eloquence of a happy character. Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well, whose branches run over the wall. The archers have sorely grieved him, and shot at him, and hated him; but his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob. From thence is the shepherd, the stone of Israel. The blessings of thy father have prevailed above the blessings of my progenitors, unto the utmost bound of the everlasting hills. They shall be on the head of Joseph, and on the crown of the head of him that was separate from his brethren.

Jacob was an affectionate father. The words he uttered to his children were not his, spoken because he had retained an unforgiving spirit on account of their wrongs. He had forgiven them. He had loved them to the last.

He mourned deeply at the loss of Joseph, and when Simeon was retained in Egypt, he manifested grief, and expressed his anxious wish that his children should return safely from Egypt with their brother Simeon. He had no resentful feeling toward his sorrowing children.

But God by the spirit of prophecy elevated the mind of Jacob above his natural feelings. In his last hours angels were all around him, and the power of the grace of God shone upon him. His paternal feelings would have led him to only utter in his dying testimony expressions of love and tenderness. But under the influence of inspiration he uttered truth, although painful.
Okay, but how does all this translate into a doctrine of personal prophecy for the New Testament church?

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Okay, but how does all this translate into a doctrine of personal prophecy for the New Testament church?
in revalation it quotes in the last days the spirit of prophecy will be poured out on all even your sons and daughters who will prohesize in his name Jesus.

So look at the story of Jacob, they where his last days

And he spoke prophecy to each son individually.

Therefor it's safe to assume that the spirit of prophecy being poored out in the last day also refers to the last days of an indivual here and now.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
in revalation it quotes in the last days the spirit of prophecy will be poured out on all even your sons and daughters who will prohesize in his name Jesus.
Where is that scripture exactly? What chapter and verse in Revelation?

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Where is that scripture exactly? What chapter and verse in Revelation?
Acts 2:17, In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people; your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

From reading the story of Jacob the spirit of prochecy rested upon him in his last days where he spoke Prophecy to each son individually

So I'm assuming that Acts 2:17 also refers to the last days of any individual then and now.

Because some of the prochecies Jacob spoke to his sons individually where personal

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Acts 2:17, In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people; your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

From reading the story of Jacob the spirit of prochecy rested upon him in his last days where he spoke Prophecy to each son individually

So I'm assuming that Acts 2:17 also refers to the last days of any individual then and now.

Because some of the prochecies Jacob spoke to his sons individually where personal
Let me see if I understand you. Jacob made personal prophecies to his sons; the spirit of prophecy is still active today; therefore, personal prophecy is still a valid practice today. If that's what you mean, I understand your logic; but the Spirit of Lord did a lot of things in former days that no one would claim He has ever done in modern times. When was the last time He parted the Pacific Ocean? I guess I'm still looking for clear doctrine from the New Testament that teaches this practice as a normal thing for believers today.

Lamar

May 21, 2023
Personal Prophecy?
I believe it is just that, it is personal.

Pastor stands before his 500 person Congregation and says, God told me to build a church building big enough to see 10,000 members.
Congregation believes Pastor did hear from God and raised and built a new facility accommodating up to 10,000 people.
Within 2 years time, 10,000 people were Members of that Church.

The numbers are different but this Story is factually True on THREE different, totally separate, and unrelated connection to 3 Pastors and Their Congregations.
What does this story prove?

Fundaamental

Mar 17, 2023
Let me see if I understand you. Jacob made personal prophecies to his sons; the spirit of prophecy is still active today; therefore, personal prophecy is still a valid practice today. If that's what you mean, I understand your logic; but the Spirit of Lord did a lot of things in former days that no one would claim He has ever done in modern times. When was the last time He parted the Pacific Ocean? I guess I'm still looking for clear doctrine from the New Testament that teaches this practice as a normal thing for believers today.
Yes you have understood correctly 😊.

But isn't the waters being parted happening everyday for new converts.

I assume you may see the the veil being torn in two and parted upon the crucification of Christ as also the same as the waters being parted in the red sea. Or at least a reflection.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Divine Revelations

A Painful Truth

Prophetic Waymarks

Are you Seventh Day Adventist?

https://adventistreview.org/magazine-article/jacobs-gift-of-prophecy/

That is where I found the source of your post.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Scriptural doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness come from the authority of Scripture alone; not from some extra-biblical "revelation" some crackpot claims is "specifically for you". That has no authority.
And yet there are prophesies in the New Testament specifically for people.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Num_32:23 But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
OP must have me on ignore. I’ve already shown him 2 examples of personal prophesies in the New Testament.