Is personal prophecy scriptural?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 9, 2023
“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:11‬ ‭

“Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭4:1‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭2:1-2‬ ‭

prophets seem to speak to groups of people one among many like as Moses was for the people one guy who has a close relationship with God who talks with God , and then speaks to the people telling them what God said

christians receive Gods spirit and have Jesus spirit living inside of them with thier own spirit they don’t need another person to speak to him for them they have the one mediator between God and man who already spoke Gods word of prophecy to them in the gospel

and who mediated a relationship between themselves and God

What I’m trying to say is the way of one prophet above the people and then he dies and another is raised up over the people that’s all Gone Jesus is the one prophet who was raised up for all time and he spoke the gospel to all people inviting belief of that prophetic word of guidance and leadership

if we need another person to talk to God for us then we’re missing tune with the Holy Ghost the Holy Ghost is Gods real presence with a believer we don’t then need me one to talk to God and tell us anything God will speak tonus through his word that we believe
Well said,. The gift of prophecy finished with the death of the apostles. Any prophecy after that would be an addition to Scripture which Revelation warns against. False prophets are of Satan.

selahsays

May 31, 2023
Good discussion. :)

I think that in these latter days, we need to be very careful of “supposed“ prophets. A Christian should be able to spot a false prophet by comparing what they say to what the Bible says. If what they say does not align with what God has already given us in His Word, we should simply throw it out because 2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us that “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.“

Not only that; Matthew 24:24 warns us not to be deceived For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.”

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
It’s a lot of it but even the most perfect theologically or memorized doctrine cannot be sufficient. We need Holy Spirit to guide us through the unknown life situations where maybe there isn’t a direct theological application we can remember at that moment or we can’t recall a specific verse but we can ultimately pray and trust Holy Spirit to guide our words, actions in the way that will be in agreement with Gods written word as long as we are surrendered. I remember hearing from a ministry I follow that the early Celtic (non Romanized ) Christians called Holy Spirit the wild Goose. I feel so far in my short time as a believer to be an accurate comparison.
How did I know you'd backtrack on this one?

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
2Cor3:6
Paul was addressing the ministry of apostles
the Spirit revealed the Gospel through them

it didnt originate with them v5
2 Corinthians 3:5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;

many today look down on doctrine.

yet…

Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

continued stedfastly in…. Doctrine the apostles gave…

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

doctrine that is inspired, from God, makes complete

1 Timothy 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
1 Timothy 1:11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

sound doctrine = glorious gospel that Paul taught
When the quotation you gave below was written, the New Testament did not exist.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Are you saying that we model our Chritsian walk on the Old Testament?

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Only one of the core doctrines of the faith. All the independents, denominations , are a part of the larger church of Christ. God doesn’t recognize denominational lines. He sees 1 Church body. It’s one of the doctrines of the faith outlined in the Apostles creed. there are thousands of Jesus preaching churches around the globe each with belief in the core Truth of Jesus. Many differences on minor doctrine but it’s the unity that is important. If a member of a Bethel, a member of Lutheran, a Pentecostal, a Baptist and a member of a SDA can get together and talk on the core truths of the faith and manage to look past each other’s differences and reflect the heart of Jesus while building the Kingdom that’s a good thing.
I doubt whether you can associate with members of the SDA. They believe that Sunday church is the mark of the beast.
Mwhaaaaaaaa.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
When the quotation you gave below was written, the New Testament did not exist.
The New Testament was largely complete by that time (c 65 AD). So of course it did exist. Paul prophetically anticipated the complete Bible, and that is what 2 Tim 3:16,17 points to.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
the canon is closed, no more prophecy. don't need anymore. prophecy in old testament is about Jesus & prophecy in new testament is in revelation.
The canon was not closed in Paul's era.

1 Corinthians 14:5
Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but rather that you would prophesy; and greater is the one who prophesies than the one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edification.

1 Corinthians 14:39
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

You cannot in one breath talk about canon and in another breath forbid speaking in tongues.

Don't be caught suppressing the gifts of the Holy Spirit, when you have been told not to do that.

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
The New Testament was largely complete by that time (c 65 AD). So of course it did exist. Paul prophetically anticipated the complete Bible, and that is what 2 Tim 3:16,17 points to.
The New Testament letter's were not recognized as canon, until way after 65 AD. There were dozens of letters circulating across the churches in the first and second century. Even Paul had problems with people writing letters with his name on them.

Do some research on the history of the New Testament.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
The canon was not closed in Paul's era.

1 Corinthians 14:5
Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but rather that you would prophesy; and greater is the one who prophesies than the one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edification.

1 Corinthians 14:39
Therefore, my brothers and sisters, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.

You cannot in one breath talk about canon and in another breath forbid speaking in tongues.

Don't be caught suppressing the gifts of the Holy Spirit, when you have been told not to do that.
it could be said the canon was closed in the 1600's when the Christian Bible was completed. work was being done by the apostles whom were given gifts concerning prophecy after Jesus died.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
it could be said the canon was closed in the 1600's when the Christian Bible was completed. work was being done by the apostles whom were given gifts concerning prophecy after Jesus died.
1600s? Must be a KJV onlyist.

F

FollowingtheWay

Well said,. The gift of prophecy finished with the death of the apostles. Any prophecy after that would be an addition to Scripture which Revelation warns against. False prophets are of Satan.

What about those 4 daughters of Philip who prophesied? Are we to assume they lost their gifting mid life?

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
I think you are confusing defensiveness with passion and zeal. Sometimes one has to communicate precisely, clearly, thoroughly be loving and assertive- speaking truth in love- at the same time to not be misunderstood by others in something as deep as this conversation has gone on an impersonal web forum like this. Some like to twist the slightest mistake in description to suggest something you don’t mean. So please pardon my directness.
Cheese Whiz. I did not know that a yes or no answer could be so passionate and zealous.

I did not find you loving. I find you overdone and cooked beyond the time needed. :giggle:

You have made assumptions that are not true; created a bloated response to a simple question because you wish to appear a certain way and assumed that I disagree with scripture when I actually disagree with you and find you are simply jumping to contusions
conclusions.

One day perhaps you will come to understand why everyone in this day and age should proceed with caution when it comes to spiritual manifestations.

I'm not asking any questions here so don't feel obligated to become passionate and zealous. It doesn't wash with me anyway

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
You have posted the perfect answer and verse.

The Holy Spirit constructs the perfect church by the ministries and gifts of the Holy Spirit.

There is a tremendous difference between a church constructed on tradition. Compared with a church assembled through the Holy Spirit.
I have never in my many travels, come across a church 'constructed' by the Holy Spirit. I agree regarding tradition but we are living in an age when the gifts are badly abused and it often seems discernment/discretion, is ignored. The mistaken idea seems to be 'if it happens in a church/body of believers, it must be God.

A very large portion of the New Testament was written to counter error and sin. As Solomon said, there is nothing new under the sun.

People seem to think there is a difference between doctrine and the Holy Spirit. Who do they think is influencing the books in the Bible?

And teaching and leading believers into the truth we find therein.

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
Show me where anyone has said they think they need to add to scripture. Really. Show us all.

You do not understand what the gifts are for if that is what you think and I am so up to here with people who actually do not believe a great portion of the New Testament yet consider themselves believers.

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
I doubt whether you can associate with members of the SDA. They believe that Sunday church is the mark of the beast.
Mwhaaaaaaaa.
And talk about the universal church as did he

Just a simple question. mwhaaaaaaa :rolleyes:

F

FollowingtheWay

Cheese Whiz. I did not know that a yes or no answer could be so passionate and zealous.

I did not find you loving. I find you overdone and cooked beyond the time needed. :giggle:

You have made assumptions that are not true; created a bloated response to a simple question because you wish to appear a certain way and assumed that I disagree with scripture when I actually disagree with you and find you are simply jumping to contusions
conclusions.

One day perhaps you will come to understand why everyone in this day and age should proceed with caution when it comes to spiritual manifestations.

I'm not asking any questions here so don't feel obligated to become passionate and zealous. It doesn't wash with me anyway
So be it brother. I’m an unfinished, imperfect human being learning to love as Jesus instructs ,just like you. We see differently and I’m sorry to offend your sensibilities. I know love has yet to be perfected in me. There is a lot of impure ungodly things the spirit has been changing in me over the last 3 years. In this life it’s never perfection but direction . We won’t see what is perfect till Jesus returns. Jesus does say the Truth will offend. And we know that from proverbs

“Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭27‬:‭6‬ ‭NIV‬‬
and

“Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭27‬:‭17‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Iron sharpening iron isn’t a warm and fuzzy metaphor. If you aren’t familiar with blacksmith work ,There is a grinding, heat, pressure, often sparks fly.

We also know that we aught to

“Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭16‬:‭13‬-‭14‬ ‭ESV‬‬

F

FollowingtheWay

And talk about the universal church as did he

Just a simple question. mwhaaaaaaa :rolleyes:
I visited a SDA church once as a child , had SDA neighborhood friends growing up. They treated me just like any other member of their congregation with human dignity and mutual respect . Wasn’t a member and I was simply visiting. They have some strict dietary laws they adhere to. I disagree with their legalistic approach of Saturday sabbath but it wasn’t a deal breaker for them to associate with an unbeliever at that time. We even got invited to a church game of baseball. I don’t necessarily agree with all their practices but other than that very nice Jesus people.

Niki7

Feb 21, 2023
Oh yeah? Really?

Do tell where we learn that Paul anticipated the complete Bible? It sure ain't in II Timothy

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for [a]instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

There was no NT at the time. There were letters in circulation. The lengths some go to try and prove the Holy Spirit and the gifts God gives through Him, are now dead

Believers need to believe the Bible.

I mean you actually reacted negatively to a post I made regarding the fact that we do not have our own righteousness; that God views us as righteous positionally through His Son. The concept of positional righteousness just does not seem to appeal to the people who think they have somehow become worthy of salvation.

I boggles the mind

F

FollowingtheWay

I visited a SDA church once as a child , had SDA neighborhood friends growing up. They treated me just like any other member of their congregation with human dignity and mutual respect . Wasn’t a member and I was simply visiting. They have some strict dietary laws they adhere to. I disagree with their legalistic approach of Saturday sabbath but it wasn’t a deal breaker for them to associate with an unbeliever at that time. We even got invited to a church game of baseball. I don’t necessarily agree with all their practices but other than that very nice Jesus people.
On Monday I actually bumped into some very nice Mennonite ladies and had a short but pleasant conversation with them. It probably helped I had an I ❤️Jesus fish on the bumper Granted I’m Far removed from their Church body but still we got along. Lended them a helpful hand in directing them to a location they were looking for. All smiles, pleasantry’s . No condemnation. More just plain Jesus People interacting with each other in daily life.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Good discussion. :)

I think that in these latter days, we need to be very careful of “supposed“ prophets. A Christian should be able to spot a false prophet by comparing what they say to what the Bible says. If what they say does not align with what God has already given us in His Word, we should simply throw it out because 2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us that “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.“

Not only that; Matthew 24:24 warns us not to be deceived For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.”
Good post.

There would be no issue if the scriptures declared: "No more prophesies after John dies. Ever." But it doesn't. And believers would not have to be wary of "false prophets" if there were no "true prophets". The instruction would simply be "Don't accept any prophesies". Couple those things with examples of personal prophesies recorded in the New Testament both before and after Jesus' death, the only conclusion for the question "Is personal prophesy scriptural?" is "Yes". But we must also conclude that there are those who say they speak for God but, in truth, do not. They are the "false prophets" we are warned about.

One glaring omission from the church, today, is proper administration and leadership who will address sin in the church, including when someone falsely claims to speak for God. But that's another topic.