Is Physical Attraction Important ?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

coby2

Ok, I'll spell it out for ya, young brother. We are conditioned from the cradle to believe what we see, feel and hear must be the truth because after all, the majority of people believe it is so. And the advertising industry needs your money, so they want you to believe it, too. Their job is to make you hungry so you'll buy their food, make you feel not acceptable so you'll buy their weight loss program, make you think you're not attractive enough so you'll buy their beauty products, and convince you that you're just mentally and/or physically ill and need the horrid medicines the pharmaceuticals hawk.

And in conclusion, you are attracted to what the world tells you is attractive.... until you meet a person whom you love for real because your heart falls in love with theirs. :eek:
Reminds me of Dustin Hoffman about Tootsie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPAat-T1uhE

A

AuntieAnt

Reminds me of Dustin Hoffman about Tootsie.

[video=youtube;xPAat-T1uhE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPAat-T1uhE&app=desktop[/video]
Wow... that was very touching!

Dec 1, 2014
One of my favorite lines in movie history:

I got married to an ugly woman. Don't ever do that. It just takes the energy right out of you. She left me, though. Found somebody even uglier than she was. That's life. Who can explain it?

Red West (Red Webster) Road House. ;)

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Father God is merciful and kind. He's not religious and nit-picky. Everyone is different and that's just fine, that's the way it's supposed to be.

My hubby's BIG & TALL MEN size was exactly what I needed because I'm like a tall willow tree and always felt awkward around shorter people, particularly guys. With my husband I could run across the room and jump into his lap without fear I'd break his legs. ROFL!! Also, because of my painful past, I felt safe with him around me. Even though he became a Christian, he looked like someone you just don't mess with.

Everyone's given the freedom by our Father God to make choices and nobody should make anyone else feel guilty about it. Don't ya think?

My wife always said when she was growing up that she had to marry a guy at least 6' tall.

Unfortunately for her, I cheated a bit when she broke out her tape measure.

I'm 5'11and3/4 [video=youtube;f5dMqHqC4pM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5dMqHqC4pM[/video]

C

coby2

My wife always said when she was growing up that she had to marry a guy at least 6' tall.

Unfortunately for her, I cheated a bit when she broke out her tape measure.

I'm 5'11and3/4 [video=youtube;f5dMqHqC4pM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5dMqHqC4pM[/video]
Lol I always wanted a tall guy, a head bigger. My ex is 2 cm smaller than me and my kids are the smallest from their class in school lol.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Lol I always wanted a tall guy, a head bigger. My ex is 2 cm smaller than me and my kids are the smallest from their class in school lol.
I LOVE the Lord's sense of humor! I distinctly remember thinking that I would never marry an Italian. (don't remember why I thought that).

My wife is not only 100% Italian, she actually was born in Italy and lived there til she was 4!

Maybe it was a native-American Italian I wouldn't marry, NOT a real Italian.LOL

K

keep_on_smiling

There isn't a right or wrong answer to this question. It depends on the person. I think that physical attraction is important to some and not to others. For me, I don't think it's important, but rather a bonus.

There are definitely people that I find attractive and they catch my attention, but that is an initial reaction and can change which leads me to think that it's not important. There are far more people that I find attractive, after I get to know them.

Looks, personality, beliefs, character and humor are all things that can change. Are you going to leave someone because their looks change, but personality remains the same?? I'm not, however I do believe others would (to those that think looks are important). Would I leave someone or not be with them because their personality/ beliefs/ character change? Yes, that's more likely.

There are good looking people and there are some people that are just not good looking; that is true. Will I miss out on a good relationship because my initial thoughts are "he's ugly"? No.

DuchessAimee

Apr 27, 2011
The thing that bothers me the most about physical attraction is that the "type" of look or person someone is attracted to is criticized by someone else for any number of reasons. What does it matter if someone is attracted to long hair on a guy, short people, curvy women, tattoos, etc? People will make fun of couples and even try to break them up because one or the other deserves someone who looks better. Looks better to whom?

Let's not forget some people fit the standard of gorgeous or simply attractive, but then they open their mouths... For me it doesn't matter how pretty someone is, if they're an awful person, they're going to become ugly.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
I was only about a half inch taller then my wife. With heels on she was taller then me. It didn't matter to either of us.

Sep 6, 2013
One of my favorite lines in movie history:

I got married to an ugly woman. Don't ever do that. It just takes the energy right out of you. She left me, though. Found somebody even uglier than she was. That's life. Who can explain it?

Red West (Red Webster) Road House. ;)

[video=youtube;z4TOR7856d4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4TOR7856d4[/video]

;););););)

C

Cncoffee

I used to think so. I just kept ending up with the wrong guy. Being physically attracted to someone is great, but it's definitely not what matters most. I learned that the hard way.

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
Hi All,

I was just wondering would considering physical attraction to be a important component in a life partner in the future be considered a sinful or unwise choice together with looking at common interests , values , virtues and such ? . I was just confused if rejecting a person on the basis of not being attracted to them physically make me an evil person ?
I've wrestled with that myself, man.

On the one hand, I'd like to say (referencing proverbs) that beauty eventually fades, and charm is usually deceptive.

On the other hand, sexuality and attraction are large components of romantic relationships. If desiring to abide having such in a Godly way, then the only source of sexual fulfillment should be one's marital partner.

That said, it would certainly make things easier or simpler if you were physically attracted to your partner (and he/she to you). You are, after all, going to be looking at that person (in their entirety under countless scenarios) every day (potentially for the rest of your lives), and (hopefully) repeatedly choosing that person while making he/she feel loved and beautiful and appreciated for who he/she is.

As for whether or not holding stock in appearances is simply vanity or has some validity... I struggle to say. I'd like to say that we should hold no regard for how someone looks, but that's just simply unrealistic. The amount of regard can certainly be changed, but to be completely apathetic or indifferent to appearance is something I have never seen.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2012
He turned the music on in his car and cranked "Crazy Diamond" (Pink Floyd) up and then looked at me with the most intense stare I ever saw. That was it. He was the most attractive man in the world to me and I fell crazy in love with him.

Better than the films. Words can't explain how much this moved me. Shudders and smiles.

S

Siberian_Khatru

He turned the music on in his car and cranked "Crazy Diamond" (Pink Floyd) up and then looked at me with the most intense stare I ever saw. That was it. He was the most attractive man in the world to me and I fell crazy in love with him.
Part 1 or part 2?? (Great songs, both of them, and a great album.)

A

AuntieAnt

Part 1 or part 2?? (Great songs, both of them, and a great album.)
Part One. He had me at 3:55. ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬

[video=youtube;1N8BYNMMjqU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N8BYNMMjqU[/video]

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
A few years ago my wife told me if she knew that I was going to age so well she would have married me sooner. I am not usually speechless or dumbfounded, but that one got me.:D

Mar 4, 2011
that does not make you an evil person

that makes you normal IMO

I can't believe this thread LOL!

Well i was labelled as superficial and had prejudice towards some people which i felt was really lame