In general, polygamy is not an issue in western countries.
However in other parts of the world it can be encountered and some locales is actually a societal norm.
The WORST possible Christian response is aggressive and demeaning criticism, particularly against polygamous families who have recently become Christian. The damage that is done in forcing those women out of their homes and marriages is incalculable, both to them personally, and to the hopes for any further evangelisation of those communities.
Instead, a loving exposition of Scripture should be undertaken to build the notion of monogamy with these new Christians with the goal of ensuring that the next generation of marriages within this fledgling Christian community are monogamous!
Most Christians are not involved in missions.Nowadays there are so many Christians that are aggressive to anyone with a different opinion, and they're making so much damage!
We should reach other people trough love.
Hi everyone!
I honestly think polygamy wouldn't be good for anyone and it isn't God's will. (I'd never share my husband)
What's your opinion?![]()
Hi everyone!
I honestly think polygamy wouldn't be good for anyone and it isn't God's will. (I'd never share my husband)
What's your opinion?![]()
Can the fact that for example David and Salomon had many wives suggest that polygamy is ok?
They did many things in the Old Testament that were not ok. For example, Jesus said Moses let you divorce because your hearts were hard, but I tell you you must not divorce except for marital unfaithfulness. So just because they divorced doesn't make it right. And just because they had more than one wife doesn't mean that it was a godly thing to do.
God made one wife for Adam in the Old Testament. And He made elders have but one wife in the New Testament. The elder qualifications were really for every Christian, it's just that an elder absolutely must meet them to qualify for eldership.
What is holy, pure, and right, is what God instituted. He made marriage to be one man and one woman. But mankind makes up his own rules.
Thanks for all the help!
Just asking for curiosity
In deuteronomio 17:17 its commanded to not have many wives.
In this case it's only applied to kings, am I right?
I say it's a sin. People will argue that certain Bible characters had more than wife. However, I'm unaware of any passage in the Bible stating the Lord approved of these arrangements.Hi everyone!
I honestly think polygamy wouldn't be good for anyone and it isn't God's will. (I'd never share my husband)
What's your opinion?![]()
I say it's a sin. People will argue that certain Bible characters had more than wife. However, I'm unaware of any passage in the Bible stating the Lord approved of these arrangements.
I guess it is a tricky one. Lots of tribal cultures are ok with it.
I suppose if a Tribesman had several wives, and then the missionary came, and he converted to Christ, he can still keep his wives.
Otherwise it cannot be seen as the behaviour of a Christian.
Lots of tribal cultures are also ok with drinking blood, occultism, shamanism, pedophilia, stupid pagan rituals etc.
It really depends on the wisdom of missionaries how fast to change all of that dirt to make it workable for those people.