I was watching a documentary on a man who had been tortured and imprisoned for 14 years due to his faith. Every night he would pray and every night he was beaten. He would be seen on his knees, hands folded, and head bowed.
I was thinking couldn't he just pray without outward expression? Wouldn't the prayer still be heard.
But I suppose he was using the outward expression to try and evangelize the guards and give hope to other prisoners.
Daniel was seen in his usual outward expression of prayer through his window of his private room. That of course, led to his night in the lion's den.
Jesus was seen in the garden face down in prayer.
It has me thinking does outward expression matter? Saying a prayer while driving seems to be just as efficient but your passenger may not even know.
Jesus gave us a model prayer and told us to pray in private. But does posture matter? Should it be like in reverence of a King or like a relationship with a friend?