Is repentance necessary for forgiveness?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Repentance, for a born again child of God, results in regaining his fellowship with God. It does not have anything to do with his eternal inheritance. Jesus secured that inheritance for all of those that his Father gave him by dying to pay for their sins.
So you believe professional killer don't need repent for salvation, only for fellowship?

That mean you believe there is salvation without fellowship with God

You wrong brother, if you not abide in Him, you will be cut and put on eternal fire or not save

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
Hello ForestGreenCook,

You might want to look at the context of who Paul was speaking to again:

"Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: “People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you."

The fact that the people of Athens had an altar set up "to an unknown God" tells us that Paul was speaking to unbelievers and not to people born of the spirit.

Anyway, regardless of whom it was written to, it is for the benefit of everyone who reads it. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God a may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. The letters to the seven churches in Revelation are good example of this. Though they were were written to those specific churches of that time, they are also directed at every believer to examine himself till this very day and beyond.
Can you ascribe to the natural man, as described in 1 Cor 2:14, that he is "in every way very religious"? The thing that makes a person very religious is having been born of the Spirit. Believing in spiritual things is not the cause of you being born again, it is the product of already having been born of the Spirit.

The same example applies to the lost children of Israel that Paul was praying for, in Romans 10, who had "a zeal of God" but not according to knowledge. These men of Athens had a zeal of God, being very religious, but had not been taught the knowledge of God's righteousness, which was that Christ had already paid for their sins on the cross and they did not have to go about trying to establish their own righteousness by the works of the law.

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
So you believe professional killer don't need repent for salvation, only for fellowship?

That mean you believe there is salvation without fellowship with God

You wrong brother, if you not abide in Him, you will be cut and put on eternal fire or not save
If the professional killer was one of those that was given to Jesus to die for on the cross, then yes, he will be in heaven because Jesus said that he would lose none of those he died for, and would raise them up at the last day. Death in the Greek meaning means a separation.

Unearthed

May 18, 2021
It's an interesting question. I think I would struggle to forgive somebody if they were not sorry for what they did.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
If the professional killer was one of those that was given to Jesus to die for on the cross, then yes, he will be in heaven because Jesus said that he would lose none of those he died for, and would raise them up at the last day. Death in the Greek meaning means a separation.
Than you believe Jesus lie

Revelation 21:8

“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”

Jesus say in revelation murderer ...... have the part in the lake.....fire

And you not agree with Jesus.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018

“But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”

Didn’t Moses, David and Paul murder someone?

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Can you ascribe to the natural man, as described in 1 Cor 2:14, that he is "in every way very religious"? The thing that makes a person very religious is having been born of the Spirit. Believing in spiritual things is not the cause of you being born again, it is the product of already having been born of the Spirit.

The same example applies to the lost children of Israel that Paul was praying for, in Romans 10, who had "a zeal of God" but not according to knowledge. These men of Athens had a zeal of God, being very religious, but had not been taught the knowledge of God's righteousness, which was that Christ had already paid for their sins on the cross and they did not have to go about trying to establish their own righteousness by the works of the law.
No, those men of Athens had a zeal for MANY gods, not thee God. My point in all of this is that Acts 17:30 is not just to the men of Athens to repent, but to all believers.

"In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. - Acts 17:30

May 22, 2020
Why did Jesus have to shed his blood ,if all we had to do was confess our sins ?

It was Gods' plan for Christ to sacrifice Himself on the cross to establish ...GRACE...the basis under which we get forgiveness when we repent and are baptized.

Start with Acts 2; 38 ...there are many more references.

May 22, 2020
Atheists say God does not exist not because he does not exist but because they don' t want him to exist. If he does they are in queer street.

The same as people who say we don't need to repent. Said because they don' t want to repent.
Most correct.
Allow me to extend that point a little;

All of the new, new age religion interpretations of the Bible has the same effect....loss of chance for eternal salvation, including the following additionally;
Once saved always saved
Universalism (all will be saved)
Baptism not required
Forgiveness is automatic and we need to do nothing
etc...more coming from the new age religion group....end time prophecy tells us.

Further, be reminded that scripture tells us ...in the end times there will be .....great delusions.........not delusions....not some delusions...not small delusions....but,....great delusions.
There is no greater delusion than for delusions to costs us our eternal salvation.

May 22, 2020
It's an interesting question. I think I would struggle to forgive somebody if they were not sorry for what they did.
A righteous Christian...must. (see how that is a catch 22...we are not a Christian unless we are righteous by following God's commandments).

Forgiveness is a commandment or...Christ said...vengeance is Mine (suggesting that one better be sorry or)......also.....I will not acknowledge you before my Father.
The Lord's prayer.....forgive us of our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Scripture also says...turn the other cheek. (which is most often miss interpreted).
There are other references.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
It was Gods' plan for Christ to sacrifice Himself on the cross to establish ...GRACE...the basis under which we get forgiveness when we repent and are baptized.

Start with Acts 2; 38 ...there are many more references.
I have an Op on Acts 2.38 . '

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018

I believe that David (the apple of God's eye) is in heaven. He committed adultery, murder, and then lied about it. If Christ paid for the sins of those he died for they will all live in heaven with him. Those that he died for will not taste of the second death.

throughfaith

Aug 4, 2020
I believe that David (the apple of God's eye) is in heaven. He committed adultery, murder, and then lied about it. If Christ paid for the sins of those he died for they will all live in heaven with him. Those that he died for will not taste of the second death.
" Those that he died for will not taste of the second death"
Universalism?
1 John 2:2

“And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.”

ForestGreenCook

Jul 8, 2018
No, those men of Athens had a zeal for MANY gods, not thee God. My point in all of this is that Acts 17:30 is not just to the men of Athens to repent, but to all believers.

"In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. - Acts 17:30
Only those that are born again of the Holy Spirit will repent of breaking a spiritual law. The natural man as described in 1 Cor 2:14 will not, and even cannot, repent of breaking a spiritual law that he cannot discern, and does not have a zeal of any god.