Is repentance of sin necessary for salvation?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chester

May 23, 2016
True believing is all that is required for salvation. But no one can believe unless they have changed their way of thinking (repented) from their own way to depending on God.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
No one repents because they have sinned and come to know their need for a savior.
I don't know exactly what you're saying their, but I repented of my sins AFTER I received Christ in my heart. It wasn't until AFTER my new birth, God started convicting me of some of the things I was doing. It didn't bother me BEFORE.
Knowing one is in need of a savior after they believe the gospel, has nothing to do with repenting of sinful works of the law, but everything to do with BELIEVING the gospel, and ACTING on that belief, by CONFESSING Him as their lord and savior.
WE, who are born again, are the ones who need to repent of our sinful works, NOT the sinners.
The only thing a sinner needs to repent of is living their life apart from God and doubting the gospel or word of God.
Repenting of their sins will follow, AFTER the Spirit of God is in them. Like He did with me.
For example, I use to say, "Good God!", thinking that was okay, until I heard a voice within me, telling me to stop, because I was saying the lord's name in vain, the voice said.
I couldn't see how I was for about 2 months, and for 2 months, every time I would say that, immediately, I would hear the voice again, telling me to stop, as I was using the lord's name in vain.
I kept saying that, not because I was trying to be disobedient to God, but because it just flew out of my mouth without thought.
And then, after 2 months of that, God showed me HOW my saying that was using His name in vain. And from that day forward, I have yet to say it, but I have heard others say it, thinking nothing of it, like I use to.

Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

He still holds His children accountable for what comes out their mouths.

Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
True believing is all that is required for salvation. But no one can believe unless they have changed their way of thinking (repented) from their own way to depending on God.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
Repentance is simply an inherent condition of salvation... it is simply implied, by logical necessity, as an intrinsic condition.

1. You cannot be saved from your sin unless you admit you have sin.
- You cannot ask to be saved from a thing unless you first know the thing exists.

2. You cannot be saved from sin unless you have a desire to be removed from your sin.
- Salvation IS to be removed from your sin... so asking for salvation shows you ALREADY DESIRE to be removed from your sin.

3. To "desire to be removed from your sin" ... is to be repentant.

a. The desire to be removed from your sin is a necessary condition of your salvation because... it is the antecedent and necessary condition.
b. Logically, you cannot be saved from your sin without a desire to be removed from your sin... one thing is implicit in the other.

This is truly a silly thing to argue about.

Paul says in Romans 10:8-10, the only thing necessary for salvation is, believe in your heart and speak it in faith.
Sins forgiven.
No repenting of one's sin was necessary.
Turning to God to say the prayer, is about the only repenting needed to get the person to saved, according to my understanding of what I'm reading.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I don't know exactly what you're saying their, but I repented of my sins AFTER I received Christ in my heart. It wasn't until AFTER my new birth, God started convicting me of some of the things I was doing. It didn't bother me BEFORE.
Knowing one is in need of a savior after they believe the gospel, has nothing to do with repenting of sinful works of the law, but everything to do with BELIEVING the gospel, and ACTING on that belief, by CONFESSING Him as their lord and savior.
WE, who are born again, are the ones who need to repent of our sinful works, NOT the sinners.
The only thing a sinner needs to repent of is living their life apart from God and doubting the gospel or word of God.
Repenting of their sins will follow, AFTER the Spirit of God is in them. Like He did with me.
For example, I use to say, "Good God!", thinking that was okay, until I heard a voice within me, telling me to stop, because I was saying the lord's name in vain, the voice said.
I couldn't see how I was for about 2 months, and for 2 months, every time I would say that, immediately, I would hear the voice again, telling me to stop, as I was using the lord's name in vain.
I kept saying that, not because I was trying to be disobedient to God, but because it just flew out of my mouth without thought.
And then, after 2 months of that, God showed me HOW my saying that was using His name in vain. And from that day forward, I have yet to say it, but I have heard others say it, thinking nothing of it, like I use to.

Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

He still holds His children accountable for what comes out their mouths.

Mat 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Mat 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
please disregard tupo error LOL

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
please disregard tupo error LOL
Sorry CS1, could you write out what you meant, because I am assuming you typed the opposite
of what you meant, which often happens when dealing with negatives, but just to clarify, thank you.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Love

The two greatest commandments, which we are to obey are founded on love.
Sin is wanting things that are not ours, and taking them when we should not.

So if we are sinning, our focus is on our desires, and how to achieve them while hurting
others, because we are more important.

So to walk in Gods ways and to do His will, we have to repent of our sin, and walk in love.
So it is impossible to have this walk, commune with God, to have salvation, to walk in the
light without continual repentance and transformation into this walk.

To suggest otherwise is the speech of reprobates who do not know God or His ways.

Chester

May 23, 2016
Paul says in Romans 10:8-10, the only thing necessary for salvation is, believe in your heart and speak it in faith.
Sins forgiven.
Turning to God to say the prayer, is about the only repenting needed to get the person to saved, according to my understanding of what I'm reading.
A big pat of the problem is this discussion is that repentance is being viewed as something negative and that I "have" to do in order to be saved. And thus people try to wriggle out of the need for repentance in the process of repentance.

Repentance is not negative! To be able to repent is not a burden or a "have to"!

Even as a believer I deeply rejoice in being able to keep on repenting (changing my mind) about the futility of my own way and resting ongoingly more deeply on God. That is repeantance . . .

Dec 27, 2018
Perhaps most believe and have argued that repentance of ones' sins is required for salvation, and at least myself, say otherwise.
I don't know if anyone else believes as I do.
I suppose the issue of repentance revolves around the subject of God's forgiveness for the sinner.
I believe repentance is not necessary for salvation but what side of the subject do the scriptures support?
Acts 3:26- Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities. Repentance from sin is not a burden, but a blessing.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
Love

The two greatest commandments, which we are to obey are founded on love.
Sin is wanting things that are not ours, and taking them when we should not.

So if we are sinning, our focus is on our desires, and how to achieve them while hurting
others, because we are more important.

So to walk in Gods ways and to do His will, we have to repent of our sin, and walk in love.
So it is impossible to have this walk, commune with God, to have salvation, to walk in the
light without continual repentance and transformation into this walk.

To suggest otherwise is the speech of reprobates who do not know God or His ways.
There are more ways for us to sin.
To name a few.
Doubting the word of God, is sin.
Failing to walk in faith, is sin.
Failing to obey the Spirit, is sin.
Doing what you think is wrong, is sin, even if it is not a sin for others to do.

know1

Aug 27, 2012
A big pat of the problem is this discussion is that repentance is being viewed as something negative and that I "have" to do in order to be saved. And thus people try to wriggle out of the need for repentance in the process of repentance.

Repentance is not negative! To be able to repent is not a burden or a "have to"!

Even as a believer I deeply rejoice in being able to keep on repenting (changing my mind) about the futility of my own way and resting ongoingly more deeply on God. That is repeantance . . .
I was replying to those who say the unsaved sinners have to repent of all their sinful works of the law, before they can receive salvation.
I disagree.
The saved are to repent their sinful works, thoughts and intents of the heart, as you have said you do.

Jan 12, 2019
Sins forgiven.
You are correct. Believe that Jesus died for your sins and he rose again as a sign that all your sins are now forever removed and you stand justified in the eyes of God.

You are basically repenting from your own works to get right with God, so there is still some degree of "changing your mind" there.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
There are more ways for us to sin.
To name a few.
Doubting the word of God, is sin.
Failing to walk in faith, is sin.
Failing to obey the Spirit, is sin.
Doing what you think is wrong, is sin, even if it is not a sin for others to do.
Sadly this is just a list of excuses to condemn oneself and wallow is self pity.
Sin is obvious harm and damage done, from one individual to another.

If it is not obvious, it is not sin.
But the objective of this approach is to create failure and condemnation in an individual
so they can never achieve peace and reconciliation with Christ, because walking in His ways
is not the goal, rather condemnation and failure is, in the belief that staying condemned makes
you more believing Jesus provides the answer. But it denies there is a righteous walk, or love or
reality in someones heart that has real value.

In this belief system, believers walk in darkness as much as anyone, just pointing to Jesus.
Not exactly a miraculous healing, transforming revelation from heaven or setting the prisoner
free, rather declaring the bars are real and will never move, but Jesus is great.