Starting smoking in the first place makes it harder to deal with stress, why do you think smokers find it hard to quit? The receptors in the brain which create natural calmness, and also, proteins in the brain which control the sleep clock (in newer research), are damaged.
When someone started smoking in the beginning it was to 'cope with something'. Whether that was a dysfunctional family, childhood abuse or other trauma, lack of friends.
Did any non-smoker who became a smoker, see people smoking, think I know it's bad, I know it's unhealthy, but I'll do it anyway because my life is great and God is on my side in doing so?
But while some people may not have listened to the devil who says, you know you want one, you know you want to feel worthy, you know you want to forget about the past, you know you want to rebel, there are others who were fortunate to choose a different path. And smokers will not accept that, accept that they tend to be more weak-minded than those who never took up smoking.
This makes them more likely to be deceptive to themselves, and to others. And in answer to what StunnedByGrace said in a couple of responses, smokers will rarely speak positively of smoking in public. It's mainly if you want to try and help them quit, or you see it damaging their health, or you see them coughing all the time and try to advise.
I'm not here to make smokers feel bad, I'm here to speak the truth.
I've helped people quit drugs, I have never had any success helping anyone quit smoking.
And StunnedByGrace, not sure why you want to trample on my own observations of smokers and how they behave. Are you a smoker?
I smoke, in fact I'm having a smoke now whilst I post this.
I'm not proud and I don't like what I'm doing.
Been told that I'm gong to hell and will smell like it when I go there.
Now what I am going to say is thruth.
When away on a break I went for a smoke.
Sat outside and someone asked me for a light. I gave him him a light.
God asked me to engage with him.
Long story short turns out he had just been release from prison. Was on probation.
God asked me to ask him why (I crapped myself) so I asked him.
He answered why but he said one sentence I honed in on.
"I used to be a Christian?
I said "Used to be, have you confessed Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart God raised him from the dead for the forgiveness of your sins?
He said yes.
That night he came back to God.
I am going on holiday next month to the same place I'm have been to for the last 7 years.
I like to have a beer and a smoke late in the afternoon.
Every year whilst sat doing that I started conversation with people and every year I have been able to pray for them.
In fact for the last 4 years I have met the same people and they have asked me to pray for them.
Ok I'm not advertising smoking here but just giving my experience.
Smoking is bad I agree but equally not loving people is tragic.
God has used my weakness to help others.
no I'm pretty sure "wrap around" is when you wrap yourself in wrapping paper by accident while wrapping a large present!!!I can't even write on a phone.
I bought a tablet for when I'm out all day and might get bored.
I check in. It keeps my blood pressure up... !
But i can't really reply to anyone.
P.S. I use a computer.
Hey. Don't worry about grammar. We all know about that.
Paragraphs seem easy.
I know what you're doing, you just type and type. It's called wrap around...
I just like what you write and sometimes I can't read it.
But I love you anyway !
Take care JF
So, my question is this...1. Do you think smoking is a sin, and if so, on what grounds? 2. If it is a sin, how should it be dealt with? Should disfellowshipment be used as a punishment? 3. If so, do you think disfellowshipment should also be applied to obese individuals who are engaged in eating too much? 4. What about sins of the heart, like pride, envy, lust, etcetera? Should we disfellowship people over sins of the heart? And, if so, how many people would be in church?
I'm covered in those wonderful goosebumps...just waves and waves of them...
Smoking is one of the worst things you can do to many different organs of the human body. Your body is a temple of Christ and is to be treated as such. We belong to God and we're here to do His will in our lives so He can be glorified. We're not doing that if we think we can do what we like with our bodies, minds and life. The idea of being a Christian is to give all that free will to Christ and to hear His instruction for our every step.
It's nothing short of betrayal for us to identify ourselves as Christians and, knowingly, go and do damage to our bodies that God armed us with. The temple He has for us is to use effectively and to show others His works and ways, it is not something to be defiled from such a destructive habit.
We all fall short, however I'd venture to claim that there's no one who doesn't know the inherent dangers of smoking, that there is nothing healthy in the practice at all. Instead of dealing with one's issues in a productive manner they chose smoking as a release, regardless of the consequences, and inherently show no respect for and cause illness to the temple of Christ.
If you're a Christian and have a basic knowledge of God's word on these matters, that's more than sufficient to know how you must intervene.
Well, I have to admit that I smoke, many times for hours long intervals. I don't do it every day though, so it doesn't really control me. My wife doesn't mind when I smoke, nor do my friends &c, they have never asked me to quit.
For the record, the things that I "smoke" are ribs, brisket, pulled pork, turkey, salmon, chicken &c, and no one has ever asked me to quit.![]()
Then, of course, there is alcohol, sweets, fried foods, sugary drinks, high fat foods, breathing polluted air, contaminated water, eating pork, red meat, and so on and so forth.........
Let's get 'em all in there......not just thissin'![]()
No,a thousand times no,the church is not an exclusive club for Christians. Its a place for people to meet Jesus and to hear the good news preached,how else will they hear? No,you're 100% wrong.
Smoking is one of the worst things you can do to many different organs of the human body. Your body is a temple of Christ and is to be treated as such. We belong to God and we're here to do His will in our lives so He can be glorified. We're not doing that if we think we can do what we like with our bodies, minds and life. The idea of being a Christian is to give all that free will to Christ and to hear His instruction for our every step.
It's nothing short of betrayal for us to identify ourselves as Christians and, knowingly, go and do damage to our bodies that God armed us with. The temple He has for us is to use effectively and to show others His works and ways, it is not something to be defiled from such a destructive habit.
We all fall short, however I'd venture to claim that there's no one who doesn't know the inherent dangers of smoking, that there is nothing healthy in the practice at all. Instead of dealing with one's issues in a productive manner they chose smoking as a release, regardless of the consequences, and inherently show no respect for and cause illness to the temple of Christ.
If you're a Christian and have a basic knowledge of God's word on these matters, that's more than sufficient to know how you must intervene.
Smoking kills you, it harms your lungs and promotes cancer.
At all costs it should be avoided. Asmatics cannot be in the same room as smoke and
it is very expensive which is just burnt up in smoke.
If we get too heavy on these issues, we should all eat well, be fitness and health people
with a totally outgoing and upbeat life style.
This is part is true, but it takes time to get there and not be a preacher of life style rather
than a preacher of Jesus.
and, most folks love the second hand smoke coming off those!!
Not trying to commit sacrilege here, but just think about the Temple sacrifices and the smell surrounding it all the time. Had to smell like a barbecue.![]()