Is the Apostle John still alive?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 27, 2024
St. John the Apostle wrote the book of Revelation, in the nation of Turkey. How did he get to Turkey? Is this in the future or past? Is John still alive? Didn't all of the apostles die without Jesus coming back in their lifetime?

Mark 9:1
And Jesus was saying to them, “Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God when it has come with power.”

Luke 9:27
But I say to you truthfully, there are some of those standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”

John 8:52
The Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets as well; and yet You say, ‘If anyone follows My word, he will never taste of death.’

Jan 24, 2024
According to Jerome:

But Domitian having been put to death and his acts, on account of his excessive cruelty, having been annulled by the senate, he [John] returned to Ephesus under Pertinax and continuing there until the time of the Emperor Trajan, founded and built churches throughout all Asia, and, worn out by old age, died in the sixty-eighth year after our Lord's passion and was buried near the same city.

The Lord's Passion [Crucifixion = roughly 33 AD] + 68 years = 101 AD

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
St. John the Apostle wrote the book of Revelation, in the nation of Turkey. How did he get to Turkey? Is this in the future or past? Is John still alive? Didn't all of the apostles die without Jesus coming back in their lifetime?

And Jesus was saying to them, “Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God when it has come with power.”

But I say to you truthfully, there are some of those standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”

The Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets as well; and yet You say, ‘If anyone follows My word, he will never taste of death.’
There are a few events that fulfill Mark9:1/Luke 9:27. One is the Transfiguration, which occurred a few days later. The second is the empowering of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

Some teach that the Kingdom of God come in power was the day of Pentecost. I happen to agree with that. All who are born again are alive spiritually and never die.

Jun 30, 2024
Bakersfield California

Theres a good possibility that he is.

Apr 27, 2024
If it was the day of Pentecost, I would have thought it would have been much later that 3 days. Who would die between then? Why would Jesus say that then?

May 25, 2024
I highly doubt John is still alive in the flesh. It would be hard for a man to be over 2000 years old and no one take note of this.
It is more probable that Jesus spoke of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, which quickens our spirit into everlasting life. This spirit cannot die for it drinks from the well of life that bubbles up forever more.
Yes, the flesh may perish, but it does not perish unto death, but unto rest for we will all rise again when Jesus calls us up on the day of His return.