Is the Attraction Wrong or What we do with it?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Embankment

Feb 28, 2017
"I" believe that there is a difference between being attracted to someone and lusting after them. For instance, when I see an attractive woman I acknowledge that God made her attractive and then I pray that she would be a godly woman and that God will bless her marriage and family. I do not consider this to be sin. However, if I imagine having sex with her then I am lusting after her and, for me, that would be sin.
I believe Jesus has a different opinion.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Lightbearer has a point, Satan is called the prince of the power of air, therefore he can transmit evil thoughts into our minds. They are called the fiery darts of the enemy in Ephesians. When those thoughts come into our heads we quench them with our faith. Then we tell the devil to get behind us. As long as we don't harbor and feed the lustful thoughts, there is no sin. :cool:
Once again we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one..

This is like a group of people thinking a sinful thought that is only thought for a half a second is not a sin because the short duration of time it was thought.. One of those people will say that if you think it for 2 seconds then you have crossed the line into sin because that's what they think is reasonable while another person in that group will set a 5 second thought line and another person 7 seconds.. Each and every one sets their own limit depending on what they think is reasonable..

But the truth is that the sin in the thought is not dependent on the duration of the thought.. It is about what the actual thought was.. The sin is instantaneous the moment one thinks it..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
No victory in Jesus? Where is that verse at?
The victory that you believe is had .. that one ceases to sin.. Is a delusion because no one ceases to sin and if you are honest with yourself you will know this is true within your own life..

We do have victory in Jesus.. But that victory comes in the atonement of Jesus that pays the penalty for our sins and grants us eternal life.. The Victory is the eternal vlictory over death,, it is not victory over sinning in this limited life on earth..

1 Corinthians 15: KJV
54 "So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. {55} O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? {56} The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. {57} But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."

I have victory over death though the LORD Jesus Christ.. Amen

People who believe it is all about recieving Victory over sin in their carnal flesh need to accept the truth..

1 John 1: KJV

8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
. It is about what the actual thought was.. The sin is instantaneous the moment one thinks it..
Amen! But it is only a sin that is sinned if one acts on it. One must put down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
(2Co 10:5)

A thought popping in our head that is sinful is not a sin that we are accounted for unless we act on it. We can not even think on it. We must give it to GOD. Thoughts pop into our minds without us thinking them up. As long as when we become aware we give them to GOD we have not sinned though we have sin in us. To them that knoweth to good and do it not them it is sin.
See here in the example many take out of context. Obviously one has thoughts to lust before looking on the woman to lust after her. They did not put put their thought into captivity prior to the action of looking taking place. One must give the thought to GOD immediately before it festers into action. Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
(Mat 5:27-28 KJV)

lightbearer

Jun 17, 2017
HBG. Pa. USA
The victory that you believe is had .. that one ceases to sin.. Is a delusion because no one ceases to sin and if you are honest with yourself you will know this is true within your own life..
And yet you did not respond to the passages in the post to which you responded to.
No victory in Jesus? Where is that verse at? There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able (through Christ); but will with the temptation also make a way to escape (through Christ), that ye may be able to bear out from under. (1Co 10:13)

If it is not of FAITH it is sin. GOD is faithful HE will not suffer us to be tempted above that which we are able.

We know that He was manifested to take away our sins. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead (separated from) sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes we were healed.
(1Pe 2:24)

We do have victory in Jesus.. But that victory comes in the atonement of Jesus that pays the penalty for our sins and grants us eternal life.. The Victory is the eternal vlictory over death,, it is not victory over sinning in this limited life on earth..
Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant (sinner) abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free (being a servant of sin), ye shall be free indeed.
(Joh 8:34-36 KJV)

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
(Rom 6:1-6 KJV)

Then after Paul in chapter seven gives "his testimony" that knowledge of the law can not and was not saving him from his carnal nature he proclaims the victory in chapter eight.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law (the knowledge of it) could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh (taking it away; nailing it to the cross): That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind (entertain; think on) the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded (inclined; purposed) is death; but to be spiritually minded (inclined; purposed) is life and peace.
(Rom 8:2-6 KJV)

Mainly due to the fact it is GOD that works in us both to will and do HIS good pleasure; not us but Christ, in all humility Paul in speaking of being resurrected and living without sin (being perfected) he states of himself.

Not that I already received or already have been perfected, but I press on, if I also may lay hold, inasmuch as I also was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brothers, I do not count myself to have laid hold, but one thing I do , forgetting the things behind, and stretching forward to those things before, I press on after the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Then as many as are perfect, let us be of this mind; and if you think anything differently, God will also reveal this to you.
(Php 3:12-15 LITV-TSP)

In verse 15 Paul testifies that some were already perfect and have reached the high calling of GOD through Christ Jesus. Not that they thought that of themselves but Paul testifies they were.

1 Corinthians 15: KJV54 "So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. {55} O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? {56} The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. {57} But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
I have victory over death though the LORD Jesus Christ.. Amen
As it is written, "We know that He was manifested to take away our sins. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead (separated from) sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes we were healed."

As Jesus said, "Be healed and go and sin no more!" Awake to righteousness and sin not is the command. If it were not possible it would not been commanded!

Doubled mined man is unstable in all his ways. If it is not of faith it is of sin. Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
(1Co 15:33-34 KJV)

People who believe it is all about recieving Victory over sin in their carnal flesh need to accept the truth..

1 John 1: KJV
8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
verse eight is being said in context to verse seven. Verse seven says, the blood of Jesus cleanseth us from all sin. All sin not some; ALL!
Sin in verse eight is a noun not a verb. No action has taken place. Sin the noun is knocking at the door and wants in. This state of being we will be in until HIS' Coming. Not that we are sinning but we must walk in the light as he is in the light and the blood of Jesus will purge (separate) us from all unrighteousness (sin) and we will not sin because we can do all things and are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus. He has given ALL things that pertain to life and godliness. We are without excuse.

Then in verse ten John deals with the verb (the action). And it is being stated in the past tense not present. As if we are continuing in sin that grace abounds.

If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness (sin), we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we acknowlede our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
(1Jn 1:6-2:1 KJV)

Though in all humility we will never state that we do not sin or have sin; For it is GOD that works in us both to will and do HIS good pleasure. Our sufficiency is not of ourselves it is of GOD! As Paul stated....
Not that I already received or already have been perfected, but I press on, if I also may lay hold, inasmuch as I also was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brothers, I do not count myself to have laid hold, but one thing I do , forgetting the things behind, and stretching forward to those things before, I press on after the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Then as many as are perfect, let us be of this mind; and if you think anything differently, God will also reveal this to you.

Feb 28, 2016
as a Christian, one will automatically be Spiritually attracted to another Christian's spirit
or to the heart of one who is obviously being called-out of the world
and are seeking their Saviour's pathway -

just observing someone's appearance and then having some kind of attraction to it,
is base-worldly-common-and extremely un-healthy, and something 'new-Christians
must learn to 'over-come'...

'We are not debtors to the flesh, but to The Spirit' (Apostle Paul) -
as it is written,
'The flesh profits nothing'...

The Bible tells us that we 'must bring every thought into the captivity of Christ'...

achievable? YES - easy? NO...'a dutiful process'...

Noblemen

Jan 14, 2018
crucify our flesh....
I have often wondered about this famous quote in Christianity "crucify the flesh" and exactly how that works. I understand the train of thought people use when quoting off the cuff, but have never really understood where they find their scriptural support. Do you have any support for the quote you make, and how do you purport we do this ?

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
If you are a man and is attracted to men, then you have a woman spirit in your soul.
If you are a woman and are attracted to women, then you have a man spirit in your soul.
You could have sinned and opened a doorway for the spirit to come in or the spirit could have came in at birth from sins or curses from your ancestors.
Curse yes but its not necessarily a female/woman or male spirit in that order. It makes no sense
U can not have a spirit in your soul. They dwell in the body..

P

pjharrison

Curse yes but its not necessarily a female/woman or male spirit in that order. It makes no sense
U can not have a spirit in your soul. They dwell in the body..
The soul governs the flesh. That why God is enmity with the soul
Romans 8:7 7The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so.
We can only communicate with God through the human spirit. Spirit to spirit. This is my opinion.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Amen! But it is only a sin that is sinned if one acts on it.
Again i totally disagree with this belief of yours..

Yes we should as soon as we can mentally grab ourselves and shake ourselves out of that thought and acknowledged our sin to God and thank Him for His atonement.. But we have already sinned in thought.. acting upon it is just another sin in addition to the sin of ones thought..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
And yet you did not respond to the passages in the post to which you responded to.
No victory in Jesus? Where is that verse at? There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able (through Christ); but will with the temptation also make a way to escape (through Christ), that ye may be able to bear out from under. (1Co 10:13)

If it is not of FAITH it is sin. GOD is faithful HE will not suffer us to be tempted above that which we are able.

We know that He was manifested to take away our sins. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead (separated from) sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes we were healed.

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant (sinner) abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free (being a servant of sin), ye shall be free indeed.
(Joh 8:34-36 KJV)

What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
(Rom 6:1-6 KJV)

Then after Paul in chapter seven gives "his testimony" that knowledge of the law can not and was not saving him from his carnal nature he proclaims the victory in chapter eight.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law (the knowledge of it) could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh (taking it away; nailing it to the cross): That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind (entertain; think on) the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded (inclined; purposed) is death; but to be spiritually minded (inclined; purposed) is life and peace.
(Rom 8:2-6 KJV)

Mainly due to the fact it is GOD that works in us both to will and do HIS good pleasure; not us but Christ, in all humility Paul in speaking of being resurrected and living without sin (being perfected) he states of himself.

In verse 15 Paul testifies that some were already perfect and have reached the high calling of GOD through Christ Jesus. Not that they thought that of themselves but Paul testifies they were.

As it is written, "We know that He was manifested to take away our sins. Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead (separated from) sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes we were healed."

As Jesus said, "Be healed and go and sin no more!" Awake to righteousness and sin not is the command. If it were not possible it would not been commanded!

Doubled mined man is unstable in all his ways. If it is not of faith it is of sin. Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners. Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame.
(1Co 15:33-34 KJV)

verse eight is being said in context to verse seven. Verse seven says, the blood of Jesus cleanseth us from all sin. All sin not some; ALL!
Sin in verse eight is a noun not a verb. No action has taken place. Sin the noun is knocking at the door and wants in. This state of being we will be in until HIS' Coming. Not that we are sinning but we must walk in the light as he is in the light and the blood of Jesus will purge (separate) us from all unrighteousness (sin) and we will not sin because we can do all things and are more than conquerors through Christ Jesus. He has given ALL things that pertain to life and godliness. We are without excuse.

Then in verse ten John deals with the verb (the action). And it is being stated in the past tense not present. As if we are continuing in sin that grace abounds.

If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness (sin), we lie, and do not the truth: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we acknowlede our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
(1Jn 1:6-2:1 KJV)

Though in all humility we will never state that we do not sin or have sin; For it is GOD that works in us both to will and do HIS good pleasure. Our sufficiency is not of ourselves it is of GOD! As Paul stated....
Of course Jesus came to and continues to clense us of all sins as we commit those sins throughout our lives.. You believe that Jesus is going to change all believers to cause them to become sinless in their current human lives.. This is not happening.. Plain and simple.. This is Not Happening, look around you.. Look into yourself... It is not happening and never has happened.. Thus your interpretation of the scriptures you post is Wrong.. If your interpretation of scriptures was correct then you would be able to point to thousands of examples of people living sinless lives on earth.. You would be able to stand forward and boldly declare that you are currently living and have been living in a state of sinlessness in your personal life... But you cannot..

Though in all humility we will never state that we do not sin or have sin
Amen.. So why are you so double minded, preaching that we are supposed to be sinless and attacking what i am saying that we are sinners?

T

theanointedsinner

I keep coming back to this thread, I must be attracted to this thread,
would I be sinning if I'm attracted to this thread? I don't think so

if attraction is sin, then would the one who made this thread be responsible for creating an available temptation to sin by attraction? that's absurd

therefore, attraction is not sin

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
I am "attracted" to certain types of ham radios, certain types of cars, and certain types of women. are you saying that I am sinning when I feel this attraction?

There have even been a number of women I was attracted even though that attraction was not physical. Was that sin, too?

EarnestQ

Apr 28, 2016
If I am attracted to a kid with a lot of problems and I want to give him/her a hug for encouragement, is that sin?