Is the born-again person the “wind” in John 3:8?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JohnRH

Junior Member
Mar 5, 2018
776
378
63
Is the born-again person the “wind” in John 3:8? Does this sound right:

I (the born-again person) blow where I wish and you hear my sound, but can’t tell where I’m coming from or where I’m going to.

?
 
Is the born-again person the “wind” in John 3:8? Does this sound right:

I (the born-again person) blow where I wish and you hear my sound, but can’t tell where I’m coming from or where I’m going to.

?
“The wind [Pneuma] bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit[Pneuma].” John 3:8 (KJV 1900)

The wind = Spirit in Greek
 
Is the born-again person the “wind” in John 3:8? Does this sound right:

I (the born-again person) blow where I wish and you hear my sound, but can’t tell where I’m coming from or where I’m going to.

?
I think you are right. "So is" is an "equal to" statement. The wind = every one that is born of the Spirit.

Joh 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
 
  • Like
Reactions: oyster67
John 3:8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

King Jim is in really big trouble this time!
 
Holy Spirit can be felt at times as wind. Also fire. He can embrace one with a feeling beyond this earth. And yes, He is a person. I’ve read that He looks just like Jesus, except His hair is electrified.

He can shake a building such as at Pentecost with a roar, and shake us to the core, yet not destroyed.
And He loves us...just like Jesus....like Father.

However the need, He fulfills.
 
  • Like
Reactions: oyster67
Holy Spirit can be felt at times as wind. Also fire. He can embrace one with a feeling beyond this earth. And yes, He is a person. I’ve read that He looks just like Jesus, except His hair is electrified.

He can shake a building such as at Pentecost with a roar, and shake us to the core, yet not destroyed.
And He loves us...just like Jesus....like Father.

However the need, He fulfills.

PTL! I want electric hair too!

James 4
4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you....
4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.

Serendipity, wonderful for situation!
 
What you're saying would make every one born of the Spirit the Holy Spirit. The wind bloweth ... so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Not really. What Jesus was saying is that just like the wind is invisible yet its sound can be heard, the Holy Spirit is invisible yet His impact can be felt, Similarly he New Birth is invisible, but its impact can also be felt in the life of that person. No one knows where the wind comes from or where it goes. So this is simply about the invisibility of inner realities.

The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
 
  • Like
Reactions: oyster67