In the Miscellaneous Forum I posted an OP on Calvin and the Founding of America. In this thread I brought up the topic of the famous sermon by the Calvinist Jonathan Edwards, “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.” The sermon was known for its power as used by the Holy Spirit. Part of what I wrote about that sermon was:
There were NO musical instruments used in that day, and the singing was of the Psalms, a cappella. No worship leader to turn on the emotionalism. No such thing as an ‘altar call’ was given at the sermon’s end. There were not two dozen stanzas of “Just as I am” sung tugging at men’s heart strings.
Edwards wrote his sermon and he read it to the congregation. He was near-sighted so he held the paper close to his face, hardly a theatrical or emotional sermon presentation.
Reverend Stephen Williams was in attendance and he wrote about the experience in his diary:
“Before the sermon was done there was a great moaning and crying out through the whole house — "What shall I do to be saved?" "Oh, I am going to hell!" "Oh what shall I do for a Christ?" and so forth — so that the minister was obliged to desist. [The] shrieks and cries were piercing and amazing. After some time of waiting, the congregation were still, so that a prayer was made by Mr. Wheelock, and after that we descended from the pulpit and discoursed with the people, some in one place and some in another. And amazing and astonishing: the power [of] God was seen and several souls were hopefully wrought upon that night, and oh the cheerfulness and pleasantness of their countenances that received comfort. Oh that God would strengthen and confirm [their new faith]”
I read the sermon through twice, word for word, and something strange came to my mind about the sermon. Edwards spoke of wickedness and sinfulness; but I can’t think of any particular sin he called out in the entire sermon. But, oh was the sermon powerful. I began to think back of how when preachers named a sin from the pulpit, our thoughts and eyes seemed to focus on others, instead of ourselves. Mention gossip and eyes often went to certain persons, mention greed and others catch the glances. When sins are named, we/I too often think of others, not ourselves/myself necessarily. Read the sermon online and see what I am talking about.
There were NO musical instruments used in that day, and the singing was of the Psalms, a cappella. No worship leader to turn on the emotionalism. No such thing as an ‘altar call’ was given at the sermon’s end. There were not two dozen stanzas of “Just as I am” sung tugging at men’s heart strings.
Edwards wrote his sermon and he read it to the congregation. He was near-sighted so he held the paper close to his face, hardly a theatrical or emotional sermon presentation.
Reverend Stephen Williams was in attendance and he wrote about the experience in his diary:
“Before the sermon was done there was a great moaning and crying out through the whole house — "What shall I do to be saved?" "Oh, I am going to hell!" "Oh what shall I do for a Christ?" and so forth — so that the minister was obliged to desist. [The] shrieks and cries were piercing and amazing. After some time of waiting, the congregation were still, so that a prayer was made by Mr. Wheelock, and after that we descended from the pulpit and discoursed with the people, some in one place and some in another. And amazing and astonishing: the power [of] God was seen and several souls were hopefully wrought upon that night, and oh the cheerfulness and pleasantness of their countenances that received comfort. Oh that God would strengthen and confirm [their new faith]”
I read the sermon through twice, word for word, and something strange came to my mind about the sermon. Edwards spoke of wickedness and sinfulness; but I can’t think of any particular sin he called out in the entire sermon. But, oh was the sermon powerful. I began to think back of how when preachers named a sin from the pulpit, our thoughts and eyes seemed to focus on others, instead of ourselves. Mention gossip and eyes often went to certain persons, mention greed and others catch the glances. When sins are named, we/I too often think of others, not ourselves/myself necessarily. Read the sermon online and see what I am talking about.