Is the teaching of Jesus before His crucifixion only for Jews?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
did Jesus say keep the law for salvation? ?
Yes!

16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

18 He said to Him, “Which ones?”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
[QUOTE="lenna, post: 4370488, member: 297965" if anyone is telling you what Paul says is more important than Jesus, they are a false teacher and do not understand the scriptures [/QUOTE]

I don't do what Paul says -- I strive to do what Jesus, through the apostle Paul, told us to do.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Yes!

16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”

Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”

20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
I’ve read commentaries How they dance around this.

Jan 12, 2019
I may have missed this point and if so excuse my redundancy. I understand Israel’s covenant and promises. What many seem to gloss over is why was Israel chosen by God? What was to be their role and relationship to the pagans near and far? Was their rejection of their prophesied Messiah such a surprise that God had to change His plan?

The verses that speak to me say that Israel was to have such a good relationship with God as to make the gentiles jealous and then present the gospel. Am I wrong?
Zechariah 8 has the details what was supposed to have happened. The gentiles were to be saved thru the rise of Israel, in God's prophetic program.

But God foresaw that Israel as a nation will not accept Jesus as their Messiah, he hid the mystery in him since the foundation of the world, (Ephesians 3:9), that thru the fall of Israel, the gentile nations will be saved (Romans 11:11).

So no its not a surprise to omniscient God and he did not have to change his plans. It is just that, when a plan is hidden in God, no one will find it, not even in the 4 Gospels, until he revealed it to the apostle Paul.

But no worries, Zechariah 8 will still happen in the future, in the age to come, after the Tribulation ends for the nation Israel (Romans 11:25-29, Zechariah 14)

L

lenna

Yes!

seems nothing is going to pass your 'don't listen to Jesus filter'

Jesus fulfilled the law because He was sinless. are you sinless? no? didn't think so

NO ONE HAS EVER KEPT THE LAW PERFECTLY

well, you keep on with your deviation with 'another Jesus' and I will leave you to it

Jan 12, 2019
seems nothing is going to pass your 'don't listen to Jesus filter'

Jesus fulfilled the law because He was sinless. are you sinless? no? didn't think so

NO ONE HAS EVER KEPT THE LAW PERFECTLY

well, you keep on with your deviation with 'another Jesus' and I will leave you to it
He answered your question directly using Scripture, and you are still acting like a jerk?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Yay!! @Marcelo is alive and well and posting on CC!!! You're a blessing Marcelo! Great to have you back with us! :love:(y)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
It is just that, when a plan is hidden in God, no one will find it, not even in the 4 Gospels, until he revealed it to the apostle Paul.
John 4 is so amazing, that He explains all these things and who He is, to an adulterous gentile woman, even while He cautions the disciples not to reveal that He is the Messiah and speaks only in parable to the Jews.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
John 4 is so amazing, that He explains all these things and who He is, to an adulterous gentile woman, even while He cautions the disciples not to reveal that He is the Messiah and speaks only in parable to the Jews.
And that woman is not jews

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
And that woman is not jews
it is like He said, no one knows God except who the Son chooses to reveal Him to.
He chose this woman, not a Jew, not living righteously, not looking for Him, and He told her who He is - and she believed what He said. this is at a time that people are telling us He was only speaking to Jews and preaching a different gospel; the Bible says different

Jul 23, 2018
Do you obey the scribes and Pharisees as the earthly Jesus commanded the Jews or do you follow Paul (Jesus' spokesman after the ressurrection) who says we are not under the law?

Have you already given away all your properties as Jesus commanded the Jews or do you follow Paul who says that Christians can be rich provided they are generous and not arrogant?
Do you take vows as did paul and shave your head?

Paul did that,but beyond that paul said he followed christ.1 cor 11 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Pauline only adherents minimize Christ.

I have never seen a Pauline only adherent that was not a cessationist.

Why?

Because the healing and gifts verses are mainly in the other books of the nt.

Jan 12, 2019
John 4:22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

Jesus did not reveal the mystery in John 4 to the Samaritan. Jesus being the Messiah was still prophecy, non Jews were to be saved thru the rise of Israel was still prophecy.

He only started speaking in parables to the Jews in the middle of his ministry, stated in Matthew. Prior to that, he spoke plainly to the Jews to repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
John 4:22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

Jesus did not reveal the mystery in John 4 to the Samaritan. Jesus being the Messiah was still prophecy, non Jews were to be saved thru the rise of Israel was still prophecy.

He only started speaking in parables to the Jews in the middle of his ministry, stated in Matthew. Prior to that, he spoke plainly to the Jews to repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
John 4
22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews.

From the Jews for every body.

25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”
26 Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”

Jesus told the samarithan

I am He mean I am the messiah
How you say Jesus not reveal to non Jew?

My brother read the context

Jan 12, 2019
John 4
22 You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews.

From the Jews for every body.

25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”
26 Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”

Jesus told the samarithan

I am He mean I am the messiah
How you say Jesus not reveal to non Jew?

My brother read the context
I already stated that OT prophecy stated that gentiles were to be saved thru the rise of Israel.

But that is not how us former gentiles are saved now, we are now saved thru the fall of Israel (Romans 11:11)

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I already stated that OT prophecy stated that gentiles were to be saved thru the rise of Israel.

But that is not how us former gentiles are saved now, we are now saved thru the fall of Israel (Romans 11:11)
In Jesus time before the crucifixion samarithan woman save.
But you believe for gentile salvation after crucifiction don't you?

Jan 12, 2019
In Jesus time before the crucifixion samarithan woman save.
But you believe for gentile salvation after crucifiction don't you?
I already stated to you the difference in how Gentiles were saved, before Paul and after Paul.

You don't understand that difference?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I already stated to you the difference in how Gentiles were saved, before Paul and after Paul.

You don't understand that difference?
So you believe gentile save before Paul but there is different, and what is the different
I don't know what is it

Jan 12, 2019
So you believe gentile save before Paul but there is different, and what is the different
I don't know what is it
Before was thru the rise of Israel. Let me give you an example from Ruth and Rahab

In time past, gentiles could be blessed and included in the covenant, but they had to go thru the Jews in order to be so. (Genesis 12:3)

Rahab helped Israel by hiding their spies, and later married one of Joshua's captains.

Ruth was an interesting story I have to admit. In Deut 23, God made a very insightful point

3 An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the Lord for ever:

4 Because they met you not with bread and with water in the way, when ye came forth out of Egypt; and because they hired against thee Balaam the son of Beor of Pethor of Mesopotamia, to curse thee.

5 Nevertheless the Lord thy God would not hearken unto Balaam; but the Lord thy God turned the curse into a blessing unto thee, because the Lord thy God loved thee.

6 Thou shalt not seek their peace nor their prosperity all thy days for ever.

Because Moab refuse to help Israel during the 40 years of wandering, and instead hired Balaam to curse them, God judged them in vs3.

Ruth was a Moabite and thus under that judgement. But as God ordained, she married Boaz, who redeemed her as a kinsman redeemer.

So Ruth was included in the covenant, even though she was a gentile, because of the rise of Israel. She had to go thru a Jew in order to be included.

But now, we are blessed and included thru the fall of Israel (Romans 11:11), that is the mystery that was hidden in God until it was revealed thru Paul (Ephesians 3:9)