Is there is a direct Bible verse that deals with the issue of church-hopping?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
Having this interesting discussion and would really like to know if there's a specific verse in the Bible that addresses this issue.

Also, is this spiritually healthy and should one engaged in visiting other churches regularly or should one remain committed to one part of the body?

What are your thoughts?

Dec 12, 2013
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together as the manner of some is, but so much the more as we see the day approaching.

In my view it is best to find a local body and serve in capacity there, but having said that there appears to be nothing wrong in particular with visiting other "true churches"

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Some people can find a church and it's the only one for them others go from church to church. I have churched hopped many times trying all kinds of churches trying to find the one that feels like home to me but i never did, however in this church hopping God has used me to impact and affect the people in those churches. Many would be amazed at love and passion for God my natural fire would just catch people it's in wake and one time God even lead me to speak to an entire church I was attending for the first time and I will never forget or ever be more grateful for how God used me so vastly on that day. people were tears and applauded and hearts were moved and inspired.

Honestly maybe church hopping isn't actually a problem maybe it's just how God uses some people, never underestimate the power words have or the single spark that is made in people from our love and passion

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Find a good church and support it with all your might giving God thanks for His provision for your soul.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Church hopping is OK when you are looking for the truth, and it is not OK when you are just looking for a religious community that suits your personal beliefs and life style.

P

pottersclay

It depends on why your going. If your in search of the perfect church please stay at home it will never be found.
If you like to fellowship with the saints and ask if there's a need you can fill...by all means.
If your waiting for that feel good feeling....that praise God on fire feeling ....your suppose to bring that with you.

It depends on why your going.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Also, is this spiritually healthy and should one engaged in visiting other churches regularly or should one remain committed to one part of the body?
Read and study Acts 2. There are many lessons to be learned since this was the first church, and established the Bible pattern for all churches. Christians cannot be VISITORS (unless they happen to be traveling). And since everything is now available on the Interet, you simply have to study the Statement of Faith (as well as other aspects of their ministry) of any prospective church you may be considering.

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
John/Yahanan 10:16, "And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to My voice. So there will be one flock, one Shepherd (4166 - poimén)."

The real ecclesia/kahal is not a building it is YHWH, Yahshua, the SPirit of YHWH and believers...

1577. ekklésia ►

Strong's Concordance

ekklésia: an assembly, a (religious) congregation

Original Word: ἐκκλησία, ας, ἡ

Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine

Transliteration: ekklésia

Phonetic Spelling: (ek-klay-see'-ah)

Short Definition: an assembly, congregation, church

Definition: an assembly, congregation, church; the Church, the whole body of Christian believers.

6951. qahal ►

Strong's Concordance

qahal: assembly, convocation, congregation

Original Word: קָהָל

Part of Speech: Noun Masculine

Transliteration: qahal

Phonetic Spelling: (kaw-hawl')

Short Definition: assembly

Sep 3, 2016
Having this interesting discussion and would really like to know if there's a specific verse in the Bible that addresses this issue.

What are your thoughts?
Faith that is exclusively and maintained in Christ and the Cross of Calvary where the victory was won will always bring Grace. Why? Because you are being led by the Holy Spirit who is God.

The scripture says, "Jesus (while in the flesh) offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears to His Father that was heard (Hebrews 5:7). Psalms 39:5 says, "... verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity.

We must be led by the Spirit or we die spiritually!

ToastAndTea

Jul 31, 2018
I ask mainly because something happened in my family a few years back that disturbed me somewhat
My sister was going through a tough time emotionally and in her marriage.
A couple that were part of our particular church body were giving her counsel and what they said was that she shouldn't go to church at all, but rather be separated from it. They themselves ended up leaving the church and advised her to do likewise and be part of a smaller community that meets in the house. They felt that God was "calling them away from meeting in large groups". I am not sure of the details of it all. Only that it caused quite a lot of division in our family (and also the church family). Lost quite a few members. Was wondering if anyone had heard of anything similar, people or groups that encourage others not to attend church?

Turns out that they were quite a fishy couple. Our church pastor at the time advised distance from them.

Sep 3, 2016
I ask mainly because something happened in my family a few years back that disturbed me somewhat
A couple that were part of our particular church body were giving her counsel and what they said was that she shouldn't go to church at all, but rather be separated from it. They themselves ended up leaving the church and advised her to do likewise and be part of a smaller community that meets in the house. They felt that God was "calling them away from meeting in large groups". I am not sure of the details of it all. Only that it caused quite a lot of division in our family (and also the church family). Lost quite a few members. Was wondering if anyone had heard of anything similar, people or groups that encourage others not to attend church?

Turns out that they were quite a fishy couple. Our church pastor at the time advised distance from them.
Beware of the spirit of discouragement...it comes to make us trust in the hand of man (the tree of the knowledge of good and evil), instead of the hand of God.

Chester

May 23, 2016

Whether in a larger group meeting in a building or a smaller group meeting in a home -- both of these are Biblical church. I do not think it makes a difference which one you are a part of if you plug into the group and live for the Lord in healthy relationships. In the situation you describe the problems seem to be caused by the people, not by whether it is a larger group or a smaller house church.

Having said that I realize smaller house church groups can easily have a problem with messy people who can't get along anywhere else. But then larger churches sure have their problems too!

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018

Hi ToastAndTea, it seems to me that we need to be part of a church "family" (not just floating/perpetual guests) just like we are part of an earthly family, because we need each other in both the good times and the bad, and everywhere in between. And while it's possible to help/be helped by strangers, particularly in the externals, the Bible calls us to encourage/be encouraged and to be accountable to one another in a much deeper sense .. cf Hebrews 3:12-14, 10:24-25; James 5:16, to help keep one another on track in the faith, which is impossible to do in a roomful of strangers.

Church discipline comes to mind as well, as I know of many who have left one denomination to hide out in another (to hide, for instance, the sin in their lives from being further exposed, and/or to steer clear of their need to come clean of it). It is very difficult to have an effective ministry of church discipline if we don't know one another (which is both necessary for and a blessing to all, which certainly includes the sinning brother or sister who needs to leave their sin and be returned to full fellowship with the Lord and His people). How can such a thing be regularly accomplished (except in cases of very obvious/public sins) if we do not know one another deeply, like our earthly families do?

As for your sister's situation in regard to the counsel she was receiving, if you don't mind me asking, was this something that she sought through the church, or was it something that she sought on the side (IOW, did your pastor/elders know about it and recommend this couple to her .. cf Hebrews 13:17)?

Thanks!

~Deut

.........John 13
.........34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

.........35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

Feb 21, 2016

Was it the "come out from her my people" verse that had people leave the church?It means come out from the world.Including churches.
Christians don't need to attend a church to have fellowship with other Christians.
Why would your pastor advise to distance from them,rather than pray for them?