Is there such a thing as an atheist?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 25, 2013
Well your belief is in this science not God as man explains this to you, and I believe God over man.
I understand you feel this way, but there are occasions God cannot give you the answer. NL had suggested the spiral structure of galaxies was primarily caused by magnetic fields. I argued above that it looked to me as if gravity was the most important factor. You may well believe that God made the galaxies and gave many of them spiral structures, but you cannot explain what maintains that structure, and I don't believe scripture provides an answer. Nor does scripture explain why God provided a spiral structure to some galaxies, but not others. I would argue that if we seek an explanation, then it can only come from science. There are many other similar types of questions for which scripture provides no answers at all. Science is our only window into the physical world. If scripture provides its own window, and some think it does, then, I suggest, it is a window into the spiritual realm. Stephen J. Gould called it a separate magisteria that he said stood apart from science. Each was master of its own realm he claimed. Not all agreed with him.

Aug 25, 2013
Cycel said:
Thanks for that NL, but I still question whether the spiral structure of a galaxy has much to do with magnetism. It looks, from what I've seen, that gravity is the main factor.
It could considering that magnetism is the key to free self sustaining energy.
Could you point me to a scientific source that says magnetism is behind the spiral structure of the galaxy?

Feb 7, 2014
Could you point me to a scientific source that says magnetism is behind the spiral structure of the galaxy?
Not a scientist but here's a start.

[video=youtube_share;0or8OeKnZH0]http://youtu.be/0or8OeKnZH0[/video]

Aug 25, 2013
Not a scientist but here's a start.
The video is 30 minutes in length. Perhaps you could direct me to the location where it discusses whether magnetic fields create spiral structure in galaxies?

Feb 7, 2014
The video is 30 minutes in length. Perhaps you could direct me to the location where it discusses whether magnetic fields create spiral structure in galaxies?
Is it truly spiral? Only recently have we found out that the planets along with the sun are moving through space.

Dec 25, 2009
Do you have any evidence that you even have the conscience you just referred to? You certainly must feel it because otherwise you wouldn't believe it existed.
Yes, from the colloquial definition at least. I've felt remorse and regret over decisions I have made and I have felt the strength of initial moral intuition. Beyond that I have read writing from other people which have the same basic concept which leads me to believe it is something that happens to more than just my mind.

So what is the source of YOUR conscience?
I am not completely sure. Humans, and some other animals, tend to have decent pattern recognition skills and seem to use these skills to understand how the world around them functions. Some of processes of prediction probably run faster than others. I think a conscience is a collective of these processes when they start to deal with the subject of "right" and "wrong". Sometimes when people use that term "conscience" I think they specifically referring to the faster running systems or the others ones that reflect on the actions made.

Why do certain things you do or say nag you?
Before or after the action? When it comes to doing things initially I usually have feelings about how I have to act in order to get something done. I suppose when people ask me for money my conscience tells me that I should not give it to them. The feeling I get that tells me to try and listen to people's problems and give food to those in need I usually associate with conscience as well. I can't say I have the best understanding of it and often the things that it nags me to do or condemns me for later are in direct contradiction to other ideas that have come with the same feelings attached to them.

Why would a random evolutionary process care about guilt when it's predicated on the idea that only the strong should survive?
What idea that only the strong should survive? I don't know of anything like that. I can certainly see how the processes that are getting labeled as a conscience would evolve in a social species. It can help an animal make predictions on how other members of the group will judge its actions, and act accordingly so that it does not get cast out of the group. In this way, it actually has a lot in common with empathy.

Why would your brain send your consciousness a signal to feel bad when it doesn't really give a rip whether you live or die? In fact, does the brain even know what death is? It's just a biological neural network after all.
Many processes of the brain do care about whether you live or die. Somewhere within my brain there is the information on what death is. However, it is not necessary for a system to directly understand what death is in order for it to have tools that help prevent death from occurring.

It seems we are both conjecturing here. But in my scenario there's at least an external source involved that actually cares, unlike the brain. For that reason I believe it's the most logical explanation.
Why does that make it more logical? Sounds to me like you are multiplying entities beyond necessity.

Aug 5, 2013
I submit they are simply liars - to themselves and to those they tell that to. We have all heard the saying "there are no atheists in foxholes", well I believe that is true. I believe when facing death every man knows he is facing a meeting with his maker. People simply want to be the man in charge. They don't want to answer to anyone, or anything else. They want to believe they are the ultimate authority in their life, that they run the show. I had a thought a couple of days ago - how long would it take an atheist in a space ship, after being jettisoned out the door like so much flotsam, to call on God? That thought alone makes one feel quite insignificant.
Well, I think you've put your finger on the real reason for belief -- when a person feels powerless and has no other option for survival, he or she may turn to religion just to regain that feeling of control. But it isn't necessarily true that this will happen, and to suggest anything of all atheists is to stereotype.

The fool hath said in his heart, "Someone told me there was a God and that's all the evidence I ever needed."

Dec 25, 2009
I think that is instinct, they do not think about the situation at hand, they know and react accordingly, just like in the last terrible major tidal wave that killed lots of people, that were too busy here on this earth, not paying attention to the coming disaster, while animals were heading, escaping from cages to higher ground.
Are you trying to claim that all animals only have fixed action patterns while humans do not? Not all of the actions of non-human animals are due to instinct.

Not one animal was reported dead in that disaster, they all escaped to higher ground safely by instinct.
Incorrect. Many animals are found dead after disasters. People even make huge efforts to go out and save the animals that are injured in these disasters.
2lsi34j.jpg For example, this bird was trapped in the sand after the 2011 Tohoku tsunami. If it wasn't for human rescuers he would have starved to death.

If there is no God Where did the 10 commandments come from?
I don't find the 10 commandments to be very spectatular or something that necessitates a god for its development. I have no idea what person, or group of people, originally wrote it. Best I can say is that it came from an early group of Jews or some proto-Jewish group.

If you think the bible is just a made up book - Then why would a man write the first 4 commandments that mainly deal with what is expected to be rules for God?
Because those people believed in a god that had these attributes. But just because they believed in one doesn't mean that god existed. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't apply this same kind of logic to mandates from gods from other religions, would you?

nl

Jun 26, 2011
I understand you feel this way, but there are occasions God cannot give you the answer. NL had suggested the spiral structure of galaxies was primarily caused by magnetic fields. I argued above that it looked to me as if gravity was the most important factor. You may well believe that God made the galaxies and gave many of them spiral structures, but you cannot explain what maintains that structure, and I don't believe scripture provides an answer. Nor does scripture explain why God provided a spiral structure to some galaxies, but not others. I would argue that if we seek an explanation, then it can only come from science. There are many other similar types of questions for which scripture provides no answers at all. Science is our only window into the physical world. If scripture provides its own window, and some think it does, then, I suggest, it is a window into the spiritual realm. Stephen J. Gould called it a separate magisteria that he said stood apart from science. Each was master of its own realm he claimed. Not all agreed with him.
I may have said too much too soon but here is an update with help from private correspondence from my author-contact:

Magnetism is more powerful than gravity "only when ions predominate over atoms in any quantity of matter, and even then only at a relatively short range.".

"In Big Bang Cosmology, protons and electrons are thoroughly intermixed, hence nothing but atomic hydrogen emerges from the big bang."

In reality, we have a highly ionized universe with protons and electrons separated from each other and hence electrical-magnetic forces are active. Atoms are opaque and dusty and cloudy while ions and electrons are transparent. Fortunately, we can see deep into the universe better through empty space and through transparent ions than through opaque, cloudy, dusty atoms.

"With zero ionization, you have zero magnetism, hence Big Bang Cosmologists have only gravity to help them explain what formed after the Big bang".

The influence of electrical-magnetic forces have been marginalized under BBC and their role has been discounted.

>> In BBC,equal masses of matter and antimatter explode intermixed from a point, producing myriad conundrums. In [alternative, Harmonic Origin Cosmology (HOC)], creation began with equal masses of antimatter and matter separating from each other on a billions-of-light-years-wide spherical plane in pre-creation space-time. <<

Hence, in this alternative cosmology, something roughly equivalent to a "big bang" happened but the explosion occurred from a wide, spherical plane rather than from a spherical point. The wider, space of origin made it easier for electrons to remain separate from the neutrons, protons and any independent, component particles. Electrical imbalance creates opportunities for electrical-magnetic forces to operate powerfully even if within short distances and time periods. The momentum generated can be sustained over larger distances and time.

"An enormous bubble of antineutrons popped outwardly from that plane with eastward spin as an equal-mass bubble of neutrons collapsed inwardly from that plane with westward spin.

Due to the natural 12-minute half-life of free neutrons, protons and electrons proliferated across the matter bubble in such a way that 90% of the protons failed to link with electrons. Ergo 90% of the resulting hydrogen was ionized, rendering magnetism far more powerful at first, with gravity taking over only after magnetism had finished concentrating ionized hydrogen around positive and negative poles everywhere in that early contracting phase of the cosmos.

That initial contraction also aided gravity's coalescence of matter much better than imaginary dark matter. Then, as conservation of angular momentum accelerated the matter bubble's westward spin, everything formed during the initial contraction phase was flung back outward. That is the phase we are in now."

Even on a large scale, it seems that orbital spins and spiral spins can be sustained by momentum long after the forces that generated that initial momentum have dissipated.

+++

Knowledgeable people have generated alternatives to the dogmas of big-bang cosmology. We weren't there as eye-witnesses so assumptions and presumptions are necessary to assert conclusions about the past.

If we are open-minded to the Bible granting revelations from events that Almighty God witnessed, then we have this: "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear" (Hebrews 11:3). Almighty God has never owed anyone a "bread-crumb trail" of how He created the universe or life on earth and we shouldn't expect to find the whole story arrayed for human detectives and scientists to figure out from clues that were left behind. There are some amazing things that can be discovered in astronomy, physics, chemistry, geology, biology, etc. We do well to discover and marvel.

Feb 9, 2014
I've run into a growing population of 1. Atheists who believe there is a God, but not necessarily Jesus. 2. Atheists who believe in Jesus, but not God. 3. Agnostic Atheists who believe there is a God, but no specific God, or believe there was a God in time and space, such as the first human or organism, but not God as in the sense we believe in.
I would encourage watching some debates of William Lane Craig vs. Christopher Hitchens, as they exemplify the reason atheistic reasoning is flawed. Atheists use logical reasoning fallacies to sometimes try to debunk Christianity, but forget that they are presupposing many non-evidential theories, and still requiring evidence for believers on things we cannot provide evidence for. For example, atheists presuppose math, logic, and science, even though none of these theories have evidence other than self-evidence, which is usually the same evidence for believers. Craig has a few evidences to support the Bible, but the problem with needing evidence for Jesus as God is that you can't prove something like that until we get to heaven, and if we found Jesus's body, then the Bible wouldn't be true, since he ascended back to heaven. You will find atheists will shoot down all your theories with reasoning, but when confronted with the same reasoning against atheism, it's not fallacious all of a sudden. I try to point out to atheists that the very word "A"-theist means without theism, as in without God, but they have redefined and made so many different groups now that it is hard to define what atheists particularly believe anymore.

Sep 14, 2013
There is no such thing as magic
Talking snakes? Talking Donkeys? Dead people coming back to life? Demons? Angels? Devils?

Sound like magic to me!

And Yes I've come back, I had to step away before my anger at certain people's stupid comments made me say something I might regret

Sep 14, 2013
And just to clarify yet again...

An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a god. That's it!

Nothing to do with evolution, abiogenesis or anything else.

I like how everyone wasted their time saying I believed in things that I don't and then attacked stances I don't have.

Once more

Atheist: someone who doesn't believe in god. Nothing more

Dec 25, 2009
By definition, 1 and 3 wouldn't be atheists. I've never heard of people doing those two things.

J

Jacob47

I submit they are simply liars - to themselves and to those they tell that to. We have all heard the saying "there are no atheists in foxholes", well I believe that is true. I believe when facing death every man knows he is facing a meeting with his maker. People simply want to be the man in charge. They don't want to answer to anyone, or anything else. They want to believe they are the ultimate authority in their life, that they run the show. I had a thought a couple of days ago - how long would it take an atheist in a space ship, after being jettisoned out the door like so much flotsam, to call on God? That thought alone makes one feel quite insignificant.
I think I understand where you are coming from but I have found most atheists simply do not believe in the "god" they have seen from really poor acting and even hostile Christians. I have to agree with them...that is not my kind of God I too often see.

Sep 14, 2013
I think I understand where you are coming from but I have found most atheists simply do not believe in the "god" they have seen from really poor acting and even hostile Christians. I have to agree with them...that is not my kind of God I too often see.
No, we don't believe in ANY god. Not just particular ones.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Not all agree and we all learn if we all listen to hear from each.
So what do you think about Quantum Physics?

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
You all believe what you want to believe but God came to free us so we do not need to live like refugees, just a thought to me and all

Sep 14, 2013
I have a question for the Atheists - If there is no God Where did the 10 commandments come from? If you think the bible is just a made up book - Then why would a man write the first 4 commandments that mainly deal with what is expected to be rules for God? If 10 commandments were written by man - Why not just the last 6? Your thoughts. Thanks
My thoughts? It's very alarming for a loving and benevolent god to put in four commandments about himself and what you do on a certain day rather than saying you shouldn't rape women or abuse children.

That should be worrying to anyone.

Feb 16, 2014
1. Atheists who believe there is a God, but not necessarily Jesus.
There's literally no such thing. By definition, an atheist is a person who lacks belief in ALL gods.

An person who believes in any god is a theist.

There's no reason to discuss the rest of your post if you can't even define what an atheist actually is.