Issues with a commandment

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 13, 2021
Honor your mother and father.
Honor defined: High respect, as that shown for special merit; recognition or esteem.

I love my parents. But I’m having difficulty finding respect for them. This all revolves are political factors. (Shocking, I know)

I can deal with with them being on the opposite side of the isle but they refuse to listen to me when i have serious concerns about things that effect my family. They are close minded - stuck in a bubble- and refuse to even listen to my concerns.
How can I respect someone who won’t even listen or believe their own son?

Im trying had to not let anger get it’s grip on me, but forcing respect would be a lie to Jesus and myself.

Thanks

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
"Let us be mindful of ACCEPTANCE, and, over the years I have learned the significance
of the Serenity Prayer."

th.jpg :)

Mar 4, 2020
If it were only our parents that we needed to respect and honor. Jesus actually raises the bar and says we need to love our neighbor as ourselves even if they are our enemy. So that could be literally anyone.

1 John 4:7
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

So it's much more than just an outward show of honor and respect. You need to change on a heart level. This interior change we are talking about is what is known as being born again and it is an act of God.

B

Blackpowderduelist

Honor defined: High respect, as that shown for special merit; recognition or esteem.

I love my parents. But I’m having difficulty finding respect for them. This all revolves are political factors. (Shocking, I know)

I can deal with with them being on the opposite side of the isle but they refuse to listen to me when i have serious concerns about things that effect my family. They are close minded - stuck in a bubble- and refuse to even listen to my concerns.

Im trying had to not let anger get it’s grip on me, but forcing respect would be a lie to Jesus and myself.

Thanks
Well the first thing to remember is that the politics of babylon are not our prime directive. So while we vote and support what is good and oppose what is evil, we are in this world but not of it. We are resident aliens. The second part to remember it that we pray that the wickedness of these leaders does not harm us. We pray that God is our shield against the authority's evils. We also have to understand that the nonbelievers are citizens of this babylon. They listen to babel the speak babel, they can't even understand intelligible speech.
So honour father and mother is to bring honour to them by being an honourable person. By being honest and true. Speak the Gospel to your parents. Don't speak politics,
I try with my father as well, but he is well immersed in the babel. So I speak slowly and patiently, and try not to cover too much at one time.

Jan 13, 2021
Thank you all for the advice and wisdom. I will continue to love my parents and try to steer clear of those conversations. I’m beginning to believe that politics in general is Toxic! It only brings fear and anger. Give unto Caesar... I’ll focus my time on our savior and performing good deeds. Bless you all!

Ironically, this was in my wife’s devotional this morning..

Commandment number five is followed by a direct blessing.

“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.”
This is the fifth commandment found in Exodus 20, and it is also the one commandment that is followed by a blessing. It is worth noting that God’s gift of long life is much more than a lengthy number of days. It is a promise of His provision, protection, and guidance every day of our lives. Honoring our parents was included in the 10 Commandments because God ultimately wanted His people to honor Him. Treating our earthly parents with due respect is just a hint of how we honor and glorify God.
Even when relationships are fragmented and parents seem unworthy to receive the honor, there is a great blessing when we choose to obey the fifth commandment. God knows. He understands. And He is faithful in keeping His promises.

Mar 25, 2020

Thanks
Parents are too old to change as quickly as we would like them to change. There's going to be ego involved. They gave us life. We have to be grateful for that and the many sacrifices they have done for us. It would take them even years to properly hear you out and understand you. Don't burn yourself out trying to help them understand you. When you get angry, don't talk to them. Make sure both you and them are in the right mind and the right spirits before you begin conversation with them about political topics.

Yes, politics is negative. You are called to love and accept your parents as they are. But don't give up talking about politics if you really want to see the changes in the society. Don't stop educating yourself about it. Don't stop sharing about to your loved ones. If you're finding it difficult to get across to loved ones or friends, maintain the relationship first. They don't have to agree with your world views. Don't let your world views affect your personal relationships. Life is too short for bitterness between friends and family. God bless you and your loved ones.

HoneyDew

Apr 30, 2011
Sometimes we have to just leave things be and pray about it. By all means love your parents, have a relationship with them and be respectful. Don't let politics come between that. For now maybe it is best to not discuss politics but talk about other things, just for now. I know that can be difficult because that's all that some people can discuss. Nowadays you can't talk about anything without someone inserting politics. What happened to just talking? People don't seem to do that anymore there's so much contention everywhere.

I personally don't want to talk about it 24/7 365. We can't force our beliefs on anyone just like we don't want them to force theirs on us.

Not only pray about their attitude but yours as well. This is by no means an attack on you because I had to learn this myself. We can't make people believe a certain thing or behave a certain way. Take it to God in prayer and ask for Godly love to reign in your heart and life and to see your Parents through His eyes. Blessings to you and your family.

Jun 25, 2020
Thank you all for the advice and wisdom. I will continue to love my parents and try to steer clear of those conversations. I’m beginning to believe that politics in general is Toxic! It only brings fear and anger. Give unto Caesar... I’ll focus my time on our savior and performing good deeds. Bless you all!

Ironically, this was in my wife’s devotional this morning..

Commandment number five is followed by a direct blessing.

“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.”
This is the fifth commandment found in Exodus 20, and it is also the one commandment that is followed by a blessing. It is worth noting that God’s gift of long life is much more than a lengthy number of days. It is a promise of His provision, protection, and guidance every day of our lives. Honoring our parents was included in the 10 Commandments because God ultimately wanted His people to honor Him. Treating our earthly parents with due respect is just a hint of how we honor and glorify God.
Even when relationships are fragmented and parents seem unworthy to receive the honor, there is a great blessing when we choose to obey the fifth commandment. God knows. He understands. And He is faithful in keeping His promises.
It is not easy to respect anyone when you focus on their flaws and incorrect mind-set.

In Philippians 4:8 it says “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”

The verse talks about things, but I believe that we can also apply this verse to what we think about others. Focus on the virtues of others and your respect and love for them will increase. Focus on their negative aspects, their stupidity and flaws and your respect for them will decrease.

Whether it comes to other people, our friends and our family, there will be things that we will never be in agreement with. The focus should not be on these disagreements. The focus should be on what you agree on.

I am glad that you have realized that politics are toxic. It is better to avoid the topic of politics altogether. Anyway, your parents have a right to believe what they want to, even if what they believe is close-minded.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
First off...stay out of politics. That's for your peace of mind and safety these days. Be aware but don't engage.

Secondly the commandment is about Abraham and Sarah...no word in Hebrew for great great grandparents. Notice that the fourth is Sabbath and third is God's name? These all are commandment dealing with identity...so is the fifth. As in the Israelites were patriarchal in nature...all pointing to sharing in an inheritance of Abraham's.

Light going on yet?

Then being truly thankful for the Parents God gave you is important...they created the situation that caused you to have a relationship with God...to desperately want to know Him. Even if it was by negative means at the time.