It's NOT judging it is correcting!!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1John

Dec 1, 2021
I am kind of tired of ANY person, telling a Christian who is trying to help their brother and sister walk the right walk, telling that person "stop judging me". I always hear he who casts the first stone but they forget what Jesus said afterward, He said go and sin no more. Plus there are PLENTY of Bible verses that says we should NOT sin. Are we going to? Yes, but should we? No!! Romans 6:1, Hebrews 10:26-31, James 2:19, James 4:4, there are PLENTY of verses that says we should NOT sin, nor be worldly. 1 John is my favorite, then James.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
the best of intentions are rarely understood methinks...........

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I am kind of tired of ANY person, telling a Christian who is trying to help their brother and sister walk the right walk, telling that person "stop judging me". I always hear he who casts the first stone but they forget what Jesus said afterward, He said go and sin no more. Plus there are PLENTY of Bible verses that says we should NOT sin. Are we going to? Yes, but should we? No!! Romans 6:1, Hebrews 10:26-31, James 2:19, James 4:4, there are PLENTY of verses that says we should NOT sin, nor be worldly. 1 John is my favorite, then James.

We hear that so much! Right after the "judge not" verse He clearly tells us to remove the beam in our own eye so that we can indeed judge rightly.

montana123

Oct 9, 2021
1Co 6:1 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
1Co 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
1Co 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
1Co 6:4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.
1Co 6:5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?

We can judge by telling them the standard of God that they should follow that if they stray to do what is right, or even tell the world the standard of God.

That is not judging according to our flesh but according to what God said is His ways that He wants upon earth.

If someone does wrong we have every right to tell them the ways of God but some people want to do wrong and when you tell them what God requires of them they say do not judge which does not make sense.

This judgment is coming from God to live up to His standards that He requires and not from ourselves according to the flesh for we are sinners like them.

Which judge not lest you be judged yourself is when we judge a person according to the flesh like saying you no good sinner when we were a sinner our self and are a sinner saved by grace.

And if we judge according to the ways of God but have sin in our own life then we are a hypocrite for telling them how to behave when we our self does not behave.

We can judge if it is according to the ways of God and have no sin we are holding on to, but we cannot judge in a condemning manner because we were a sinner and are a sinner saved by grace which puts us in the same position as them according to the flesh.

Judge according to the Spirit but not according to the flesh like to condemn people all the while you are a sinner and in the flesh dwells no good thing.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Yes, it is quite appropriate at times to judge in the sense of discerning. A doctor diagnosing an illness is not judging. However, there is a fine line between judging and being judgemental.

Galatians 6:1 "Brothers, if someone is caught in a trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him with a spirit of gentleness. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.

And the justification for judging: 1 Corinthians 2: …14The natural man does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God. For they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual man judges all things, but he himself is not subject to anyone’s judgment. 16“For who has known the mind of the Lord, so as to instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.…

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
There are (at least) two things at work in such situations. The first is the Christian's well-intentioned attempt to bring biblically sound correction, which may be valid but ill-timed, inappropriate to the context, or framed in a bunch of other junk. The second is the recipient's brokenness or sinfulness which makes the correction difficult if not impossible to receive.

The "giver" does well to pray before offering the correction, seeking the right timing, motivation, context, and a receptive heart.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
"Don't judge me!" The cry of a true scoffer.

S

SophieT

well

judge correctly

but I don't think correction is judging

judging would be attacking a person's character...which also goes on frequently enough

Vindicator

Nov 11, 2021
1Co 6:1 Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?
1Co 6:2 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
1Co 6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
1Co 6:4 If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.
1Co 6:5 I speak to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you? no, not one that shall be able to judge between his brethren?
Greetings, Montana!

Since you are bringing scripture to bear, let me discuss this with you in particular then, because I think I know where the problem lies on this issue. In the previous Chapter, Paul mentioned the impetus for why they needed to be judging the brother in question (1 Corinthians 5:1-5):

1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

This was a grave issue, because the man was sleeping with his father's wife and bringing terrible shame upon the church for it. But now, here is the problem. Jesus taught not to judge people over every knit picky little thing. The Pharisees actually added to the law petty little commandments of men and then held everyone accountable for them. It's why Jesus said His burden was light, but the Pharisees were laying tremendous burdens on others that even they couldn't carry. You couldn't heal on the Sabbath, you couldn't eat grain out of the field on the Sabbath, you had to tithe even the least little bits of mint and cumin, you had to wash everything relentlessly or you were "unclean." Needless stuff. Excessive stuff, by which they then turned around and judged others over the same things, especially Christians:

16 Let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come... why do you subject yourselves to regulations— 21 “Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle,” 22 which all concern things which perish with the using—according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

This was Jesus' teaching to the disciples regarding "Do not judge":

1 Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

The Pharisees were always busy judging others over the most minor things, yet robbing poor widows of their houses and saying long prayers as a pretense for their wickedness. So this is the Christian teaching I think: Judge the serious stuff, but don't knit pick people about the minor things. It leads to excessive judgmnetalism, and then everyone is "biting and devouring" one another, and no longer walking in love:

13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another! (Galatians 5:13-15)

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
Sadly, to many, today, have jumped on the bandwagon of misunderstanding. The Bible and therefore, God, does not prohibit "judging". Many will tell you: "The Bible tells us not to judge." but is this truly what the Bible teaches? Let's start with this:

Mat_7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

Many, just stop right there. However, if you read on, then you will see that Our Lord was not prohibiting judgments. This is the danger of taking a verse out of context. The next thing He said, was:

Mat 7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured unto you.

Our Lord was NOT saying, that one who judges, will be judged by God, as if that one committed a sin but rather it is a warning to those who judge others. If one judges another - then expect to be judged in the same way by another, (Mat.7:2a), and it will be with the severity that you yourself measured out, (Mat.7:2b). This is human nature. If one is judged by another, then our fallen nature (Sin nature), desires to strike back. (This is why the Lord said: To turn the other cheek and not desire to strike back, just because you were struck.) If you do not judge another, then they will have no reason to judge you. Further, we must understand that if we judge another, then we must make sure that our "own" skirts are clean. An adulterer cannot judge an adulterer, a liar cannot judge a liar, etc. without becoming a "hypocrite". (Mat. 7:3-5).

However, even in writing this response, some will see themselves in it and believe that I am judging them, thus - I open the door to their judgments.

Every human being makes judgments. Indeed the Bible says we are to do so. The Lord made judgments:

John_5:30 I can of myself do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is righteous; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
Mat_23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he is become so, ye make him twofold more a son of hell than yourselves.

Believers are told to judge:

John_7:24 Judge not according to appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
1Co_6:2 Or know ye not that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world is judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?
1Co_10:15 I speak as to wise men; judge ye what I say.
1Co_11:13 Judge ye in yourselves: is it seemly that a woman pray unto God unveiled?

Things that require judgment:

2Co_13:5 Try your own selves, whether ye are in the faith; prove your own selves. Or know ye not as to your own selves, that Jesus Christ is in you? unless indeed ye be reprobate.
1Jn_4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but prove the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

There are verses that say, as believers, we should not judge our brothers in the faith. These verses, primarily, deal with the things, that a brother may choose, as acceptable in their lifestyle. These are not sinful choices but choices of preference under Christian liberty. Example - One maybe a vegetarian but another a meat eater. One may choose to eliminate TV, movies, or other forms of entertainment from their lives but another does not. These we should not judge, for that judgment may become a stumbling block to another.

In conclusion, the only way to prevent being judged, is to judge not and say nothing. Then and only then, can one expect to live a peaceable life. Nevertheless, this kind of life would violate other Scripture commandments. How can one be a good witness for Jesus Christ, if they remain silent. We MUST witness to others and we MUST defend the TRUTH of the Holy Scriptures. Therefore, we will be judged by others, by their perceived understanding of those Scriptures.

Vindicator

Nov 11, 2021

Greetings, sister. You look familiar. Do we know each other from elsewhere? (My avatar should ring a bell if you do). ;)

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
There is a difference in giving correction and judging people seem to have forgotten that. anyone with wisdom will gladly take correction in order to deepen their walk with Christ those who reject it and call it judging clearly lack a hunger for him

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
We hear that so much! Right after the "judge not" verse He clearly tells us to remove the beam in our own eye so that we can indeed judge rightly.
right first we’re supposed to apply jesus teachings to ourself so if I first apply this to myself before I go about pointing at everyone else’s sin

“Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:1-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

So before we should be correcting me poo to g out others wrongs we perceive we need to first point out and deal with all Our own issues. Otherwise we’re an imperfect sinner judging an imperfect sinner and a hypocrite

so what type of thing should they be looking for in their own actions to correct first before they start being another persons judge ?

Should the hypocrite forst learn the gospel and apply it to the self before they start telling people how to get right ?

“But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:35-38‬ ‭KJV‬‬

someone who has heard will be expressing the thkngs Christ taught and applying those judgements thenself before they start correcting others

so a good quality Christian walking in christs judgements like above there would they be judging everyone ? Or would they be sharing that truth about mercy ?

what judgements exactly are we supposed to first apply to our own self that gives us the right to judge ?

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
right first we’re supposed to apply jesus teachings to ourself so if I first apply this to myself before I go about pointing at everyone else’s sin

“Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:1-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

So before we should be correcting me poo to g out others wrongs we perceive we need to first point out and deal with all Our own issues. Otherwise we’re an imperfect sinner judging an imperfect sinner and a hypocrite

so what type of thing should they be looking for in their own actions to correct first before they start being another persons judge ?

Should the hypocrite forst learn the gospel and apply it to the self before they start telling people how to get right ?

“But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭6:35-38‬ ‭KJV‬‬

someone who has heard will be expressing the thkngs Christ taught and applying those judgements thenself before they start correcting others

so a good quality Christian walking in christs judgements like above there would they be judging everyone ? Or would they be sharing that truth about mercy ?

what judgements exactly are we supposed to first apply to our own self that gives us the right to judge ?
the thing is we all fall short in one way or another however there are Christians out there who are very judgemental blind to their own failings such people are often spoken about in churches and I have even come across them but lord forbid you should question their judgement.
There are also good believers out there who don't really point out your failings but rather express and remind you to work and live in Christ, as we are instructed to instruct others and help guide each other in this walk.

The problem is the word judge it actually has several different meanings one of them is to look down upon another is to decide or discern and of course you have a judge who judges things. It is not always the same scenario when this word is used, sometimes people hate being called out of what they know they should not do and so say who are you to judge me and quote the verses in the op but they fail to consider this verse as well
2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousnes notice the pattern in the wordings, teaching reproof correction and training. we are called to help each other stay strong in Christ walking the path of righteousness the words used for this all have a sense of doing so even if you point out something they need to work on this is correction and correct judging

Jun 12, 2021
1 John 2:15-17
King James Version

15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Romans 1:32
King James Version

32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
the thing is we all fall short in one way or another however there are Christians out there who are very judgemental blind to their own failings such people are often spoken about in churches and I have even come across them but lord forbid you should question their judgement.
There are also good believers out there who don't really point out your failings but rather express and remind you to work and live in Christ, as we are instructed to instruct others and help guide each other in this walk.

The problem is the word judge it actually has several different meanings one of them is to look down upon another is to decide or discern and of course you have a judge who judges things. It is not always the same scenario when this word is used, sometimes people hate being called out of what they know they should not do and so say who are you to judge me and quote the verses in the op but they fail to consider this verse as well
2 Timothy 3:16

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousnes notice the pattern in the wordings, teaching reproof correction and training. we are called to help each other stay strong in Christ walking the path of righteousness the words used for this all have a sense of doing so even if you point out something they need to work on this is correction and correct judging
yep I couldn’t agree more I think the idea is forst I need to walk on the light of the gospel my own self learn from the actual judge of all Mankind learn his judgements and then apply them as if they are meant to instruct and teach me my own self first.

what happens is that Jesus teaches us that “ I’m a sinner also just like the person I’m looking at and knowing they are sinning and need to repent “

Believing and learning Jesus teachings it causes us to approach one another knowing I need mercy because I’m nOt perfect and so does this Other imperfect person they need me to deal with them like I care about them and we’re in the exact same boat.

it’s not that I’m saved and perfect and they better change thier ways or else . It’s we all need to start living according to Christ and the gospel tonthe best of our ability and yes offering good sound advice to someone in private between one brother and another is condoned and taught in scripture .

go alone forst bwtween you and the person you feel you need to correct in private and discuss the situation you perceive Thy age always going to be the first move in Christ if we think we need to “ correct “ someone else then to go with another fellow believer who cares about the person and address it again in private between the three of you , then thirdly to the church leadership and church itself we should bring the matter of the person persists and just refuses to listen to us the first , second times .

it’s all taught writhing a context of one United Church body but not instructions for us individually to go around making sure everyone else walks perfectly when truthfully all Of us have changes we can be making in life that can be a better more Obedient walk with Jesus.

pointing out to others in a crowd , “calling someone out “ for their sin , and Christians grouping yo
On one those types of things aren’t condoned and taught and in fact sre rebuked by the lord

we surely don’t condone sin and allow it to fester in the church but there’s a way we are taught to address it privately so as not to invite others into the controversy

I personally prefer to let Christ be the judge of Others according to thier own measure of faith and also rewardingly he’s also the only one who gets to judge
Me because of all
People he knows every step I take , thought and intent I have , he knows of my heart belongs to him or the world he knows my words and deeds and most importantly he’s the only one on all
Creation who can give eternal
Life , or condemn to the lake of fire

I just my own self am going to think along these lines forever because I’m unworthy to be anyone else’s judge I’m being judged daily and will be forever by my judge

“For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭4:4-5‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother?

for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

Let us not therefore judge one another any more:

but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭14:9-13‬ ‭

we want to help each other live better lives but we don’t want to be an accuser like the Pharisees and priests of Moses law. And if we find our own demand for others is pretty strict we can accept the t our own judgement will be the same.

I’ve found that it’s only Jesus who can do this

“Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭7:47-50‬ ‭KJV‬‬

a man would judge a known sinner guilty like this

“Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭7:39‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Jesus saw the same sinner making her way to him and rewarded her with salvstion and forgiveness of all
Her many sins

I want him to be the judge for everyone’s sake men aren’t worthy we’re not able to
Look at our own selves first

I believe just sharing and preaching hearing believing the gospel is what brings us into the right ways to learn Jesus ways