Jacob The Heel Catcher - Spiritual Adultery

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 3, 2016
Bread Crumbs “I’m Being Followed” March 21

Oh let me proclaim the magnificence of the mercy of God! His mercy speaks of the compassion that He has in His heart for the lonely, the lost, and the forsaken. Certainly we are saved by faith and grace, but it was the emotion of God that welled up within the bowels of His heart when He viewed my despairing condition. He recognized my “lostness,” and felt from the very bottom of His being that something needed to be done on my behalf. When I look back at the misery that His mercy miraculously moved me out of, my heart is filled with gratefulness and praise. He could have looked at me with disdain. He should have dealt with me according to my fault. But His loving-kindness reached out from heaven down into the depths of my darkness and His all-powerful hands enclosed about me. He took me and placed me in a large room of forgiveness, cleansing, and blessing. Now I am sentenced to the success that only a true relationship with God can bring. As the sweet Psalmist of Israel once said, “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.” I thank God that I know, “His mercy endureth forever!”

Psalm 23:6 - Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Pastor Loren Larson
Loren Larson Ministries

Sep 3, 2016
The Miracle of God’s Word

Philippians 2:7
But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Jesus did not come to make a reputation for Himself, but to represent His Father in Heaven. To do this He had to take upon Himself the form of a servant and to be made in the likeness of men. God became a man! God the Son, Jesus Christ came to serve His Father, and His people, and did so by being humble and obedient even unto the death of the cross (Matthew 20:28, Philippians 2:8).

Most of Christianity does not know this, but God cannot be served outside of daily faith exclusively in Christ and His atoning work on the cross. Jesus is the One who served God as our representative Last Adam (1 Corinthians 15:45), and performed the Righteous work on the cross needed to make us righteous and to be filled with, and bear His fruits of righteousness (2 Corinthians 9:10, Philippians 1:11). There is no serving God outside of serving Righteousness (Romans 6:18-22). Without faith in the cross alone, there is no worship, giving, or any service accepted by our faithful God from us! Trust in Christ and His Righteousness, for it is the exclusive avenue of laying up treasures in heaven for ourselves and pleasing our Heavenly Father!

Seeking God in His Word and experiencing Him through faith in the sacrifice of Christ!

SHARE the gospel of Jesus Christ on Social media!
Youtube: curtishutchinson316
3/21/2020

Pastor Curtis

Sep 3, 2016
Your Word for Today

“then Naomi her mother-in-law said unto her, My daughter, shall I not seek rest for you, that it may be well with you? Wash yourself, therefore, and anoint you, and put your raiment upon you, and get thee down to the floor: but make not yourself known unto the man, until he shall have done eating and drinking (Ruth 3:1, 3).

Ruth forsook her people and her native land for her trust under the wing of Jehovah the God of Israel, and when, as a gleaner, she sought her daily bread from the Hand of that Gracious God Who had made this provision for the widow and stranger (Lev. 19:9), she little thought that she was to find a bridegroom among the great Princes of Judah.

Such is the experience of everyone who turns the back upon the best the world can offer, seeking spiritual daily bread in Christ and in the fellowship of His “field” and “servants.” These little conceive the measure of the Grace of Him Who “takes knowledge of them,” Who “lets fall handfuls on purpose for them,” and Who reaches out the choicest dainties for them that they may eat.

Boaz, in his instructions to the reapers, directed them to give Ruth greater liberty than that commanded by the Law, that is, Boaz gave her far more than she could eat. Naomi’s advice to Ruth was wise and astute. She pointed out that Boaz was a redeemer; that, as such, he had the right to redeem their property, which, through poverty, they had lost; that such a redemption involved a marriage with Ruth. So, Naomi, who now serves as a Type of the Holy Spirit, gives Ruth instructions as to how this is to be brought about.

This is what she said:

“Shall I not seek rest for you, that it may be well with you?” We must ever understand that the Lord seeks our best; through Him, and Him Alone, can we have that best!

“Wash yourself therefore”: This speaks of the sinner coming to Christ, who is then singularly washed (I Cor. 6:11).

“Put new raiment upon you”: Upon coming to Christ and being washed (which speaks of Sanctification), the sinner is made clean; he can now put on the robe of righteousness; however, it is imputed righteousness, meaning that we, within ourselves, have none; so Christ must give us His Righteousness, which He does.

“Get you down to the floor”: This speaks of humility, without which the person can find neither Christ nor the Will of God for one’s life.

“But make not yourself known unto the man”: In other words, let God make plans for you, which He definitely will bless. All too often, Believers try to make the plans themselves and then ask God to bless them, which He never will do. He only blesses that which He plans!

So here we have Sanctification, Justification, and humility, which is what the Holy Spirit intends.

The culmination of this was the marriage of Ruth to Boaz. In order for this to happen, Boaz had to purchase Ruth from a kinsman who had a prior claim, but who declared that he could not redeem her. The Law has a prior claim to sinners, but it cannot redeem them. Christ, the Divine Kinsman, became Man in order to redeem. It cost Boaz nothing to redeem Ruth, beyond the setting aside of himself and his own interest, but it cost Christ everything to redeem sinners.

Thus, Ruth, a “wild olive tree,” was grafted into, and became a partaker of, “the root and fatness of the olive tree,” i.e., Israel; thus, she typifies the Gentile Church.”

—Donnie Swaggart (taken from the “Word for Every Day”)
Donnie Swaggart

Sep 3, 2016
Bread Crumbs “A New Day” March 22

Every day is a new day in the Lord Jesus Christ. It is a new day for hope. It is a new day for deliverance. It is a new day for healing. That which I had not obtained yesterday shall be accomplished today. My faith will not fade. My hope will not deteriorate. My lips will not stop praising Him. My eyes will ever look towards the promise of His coming. I will not fail, be distracted, or be discouraged. As the sun rises each new day, so shall my trust rise in the ability of God to bring me through and bring me out. Sorrow may come, but it shall not be allowed to stay. Fear may be encountered but it will not dominate. I rest in His hand. I am hidden under the shadow of His wings. Darkness may invade but it cannot deny the presence of the one who is the bright and the Morning Star. I believe He is with me. I believe He is for me. I believe He watches over me. So I shall rise with the night to my back and my face towards the rising of the Son which brings the promised assurance of a God that cannot fail. Today is a new day!

2 Corinthians 4:16 - For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

Pastor Loren Larson
Loren Larson Ministries

Sep 3, 2016

Philippians 2:8
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

‘And being found’ is a very important phrase, which refers to the very condition God would find, see, and approve of, giving His power of Grace. This is why the Apostle Paul says concerning himself, ‘That I may be found In Christ’ not having my own righteousness… (Philippians 3:9). The question is for each one of us as the children of God again today, is where will God find us? Will He find us in the attempt to work for our own Righteousness and calling them our fruits of righteousness, will He find us more entangled in the political arena than living and ministering the Word, will He find us running and ignoring that which we know to be His will, OR will He FIND us with our faith in the work of Christ on the cross again today, walking in humility and obedience with the fruits of His Righteousness?

Jesus was and will always be our example before God. Jesus and His Way of humility and obedience is the only Way God accepts. Jesus endured the cross for the joy that was set before Him (Hebrews 12:2), which was what God had commanded Him to do for us (John 10:18). Our faith when in Christ and His work on the cross will be that of humility and obedience for there is no other place of humility and obedience which God accepts. I know we’ve not heard much of this, but as the children of God, we are called to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Jesus daily (Luke 9:23), and this process is shown to us in Christ at Calvary. We also must endure the cross which we are told to take up daily to be able to follow Him. Our cross is not our hardships, but our cross is our faith in Christ and His cross, for it is surely there that we were placed into Him (Romans 6:3, Ephesians 1:4), and there that He overcame us, and we overcame in Him.

Seeking God in His Word and experiencing Him through faith in the sacrifice of Christ!

3/22/2020

Pastor Curtis

Sep 3, 2016
Your Word for Today

“and ere the Lamp of God went out in the Temple of the LORD, where the Ark of God was, and Samuel was laid down to sleep (I Sam. 3:3).

I Samuel 3:1 says “The Word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision.” This means there was a scarcity of the Word of the Lord in Israel of that day. The nation and its people were in serious straits, which always is the case when the Word of the Lord is scarce.

There have never been more Churches in America than at the present time; however, there has never been less true Word of the Lord preached at any time since the Reformation than now!

Eli, the High Priest, was not only physically blind, but spiritually blind, as well. Consequently, Israel had no spiritual leadership. How so much that mirrors the present!

Then the Scripture says, “And ere the Lamp of God went out in the Temple of the LORD,” which proclaims the Golden Lampstand, which sat in the Holy Place, giving light so that the Priests could see to minister. Regrettably, it is unattended, which means the oil has not been replenished. Is the “Lamp” going out in the modern Church?

The phrase, “Where the Ark of God was,” proclaimed the Holy of Holies, and typified the Throne of God. In other words, access to the Throne was being seriously curtailed. But then God spoke. It was at this dark moment that He chose to reveal Himself; yet not to some influential personage, but to a little boy!

Many people say that it is wrong to speak to a child about the Wrath of God; however, this belief shows how even religious teachers are fallen from God’s moral likeness. For His first Message to little Samuel was an appalling one!

Regrettably, if the modern Church doesn’t like the messenger, they reject the Message.

However, let it ever be understood:

It is God Who chooses the messenger, and not man. Those whom man chooses are not accepted by God; sadly, those whom God chooses, it seems, are little accepted by man. Nevertheless, the Word of God holds true, irrespective as to the messenger.

Jesus did not meet with the approval of Israel, so they rejected Him. In rejecting Him, they rejected His Message, which was the only Message of Life.

Listen to the Message! If it’s not the Message of the Cross, then it’s not the Message of the Lord, for the entirety of the Tabernacle and all of its furnishings typified Christ and the Cross.”

Donnie Swaggart

Sep 3, 2016
Bread Crumbs “Keep Looking Up” March 23

The world, with all of its glitter and gold, can quickly become an alluring draw upon the heart of the Christian. It is so easy to lose our focus on things above and to become mesmerized by the false glamour of things in the here and now. How quickly we trade our spiritual joy and spiritual well being for a few tawdry temporary sensations and pleasures. The delights of owning material goods or the pull towards a platform of success and financial security can often turn the head of even the godliest of Saints. At times it will be difficult to pull ourselves up short and identify a rush to a wrong priority. We must ever stay close to the presence of the Lord. We must depend and follow the guidance of His precious Spirit. We must desire Him above all else. God certainly blesses believers with temporal blessings. This is a marvelous truth. But the goal of God is not to give us temporary toys. Christ desires to present us unblameable to the Father where we will spend eternity. So believer, keep your head clear, your heart pure, your eyes toward heaven, and ever bend your born-again heart towards your heavenly home.

Colossians 3:2 - Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Pastor Loren Larson
Loren Larson Ministries

Sep 3, 2016

Philippians 2:9
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

Notice the Bible says, ‘Wherefore’ referring to the reason God has highly exalted Christ and given Him a name above every name which is mentioned in the previous verse. The reason is that He humbled Himself and became obedient unto the death of the cross. This is why Jesus came. To be fully obedient unto the command He had received from His Father (John 10:18), which was to lay His Life down for the sins of humanity (Hebrews 2:9).

If there is any exaltation from God toward man, it will always, and only be found in Christ, as He is the only place of exaltation for humanity in God’s eyes. If we humble ourselves, which by the way can only take place through faith in Christ and what He did through humility and obedience on the cross, God will exalt us in due time (1 Peter 5:6) as well. Now that’s good news! Humility is not good manners, nor is it politeness, but rather a realization that I need God’s grace for all things, and that I don’t deserve it, but Jesus died so that I could believe God through Him to have His grace (Hebrews 2:9, John 1:7, 1 John 4:9), through which also I live!

3/23/202

Pastor Curtis

Sep 3, 2016
Your Word for Today

“so the people sent to Shiloh, that they might bring from thence the Ark of the Covenant of the LORD of Hosts, which dwells between the Cherubims: and the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were there with the Ark of the Covenant of God (I Sam. 4:4).

I Samuel, Chapter 4, is a dark and foreboding Chapter. It speaks of a nation, the only nation in the world, in fact, where Jehovah ruled, or rather was supposed to rule, but now finds itself in serious spiritual straits. Eli was physically blind, the Elders were spiritually blind, and the people were grossly superstitious.

A short time before, God had revealed Himself to the little boy Samuel. Whenever God reveals Himself, the hostility of the enemy is aroused. Directly God revealed Himself in Shiloh, the Philistine revealed himself in Aphek.

Verse 1 of this Chapter proclaims, by the Holy Spirit, the fact that the Israelites “pitched beside Ebenezer.” This area, however, was not even named “Ebenezer” until some 20 years later (I Sam. 7:12). This is by design. On that day of defeat, faith looked forward to the future day of victory, and set up, on the stricken field, the “Stone of Help,” which the word “Ebenezer” means.

This fact should be full of comfort at this present time, since the moral condition of the modern Church so closely resembles that of the Hebrew Church of that day.

Instead of Israel disobeying the Bible, violating the Most Holy Place, and fetching the Ark of God to themselves, they should rather have taken themselves to the Ark of God, i.e., the Throne of God, and, at the Door of the Tabernacle of the congregation, confessed their sins, broken their idols, and thus returned to God. Then victory would have been the sure result.

As it was, Hophni and Phinehas boldly intruded into the Most Holy Place, into which none were permitted to enter except the High Priest, and that but once a year, and not without blood (Heb. 9:7). They treated the Ark of God like some type of magic talisman, thinking its presence, irrespective of their lack of faith and their sinful lives, would bring victory.

Is the modern Church at present any better?

The further the heart departs from God and His Word, the greater is the importance attached to symbols and ceremonies. Likewise, I might quickly add, it is attached to schemes and efforts devised by men, which claim to be Revelations from the Lord, but are, in fact, anything but!

Attending Church and being religious afford nothing with the Lord. There must be a personal experience, and such an experience can only be gained by Faith in Christ and what Christ has done for us at the Cross. Then, and then alone, will the Holy Spirit work mightily within our lives, because our Faith now has, as its correct Object, the Cross of Christ (I Cor. 1:17-18, 23; 2:2; Gal. 6:14).”

Donnie Swaggart

Sep 3, 2016
Bread Crumbs “Rediscover Jesus” March 24

Remember when loving Jesus was simple and easy. We couldn't wait to get to church. His Word dominated our thoughts all day long. A sense of gratefulness and a voice of praise was as natural to us as breathing. Speaking about a truth newly received or a recently revealed understanding of God’s Word was the highlight of the day. We looked for, longed for, and located someone, yes anyone, to share what we knew about our amazing Saviour. We experienced a gripping desire to live righteously and to see others come to the saving knowledge of Christ. We gave of ourselves, our time, our finances with such a vehement zeal, that some thought of us as too dedicated to the things of God. They told us that we were so heavenly minded we were no earthly good. But then, little by little, this consuming fire fell away to a barely flickering flame. If after a time, we lose these basic expressions of simple faith, then somewhere along the way we have lost sight of the simplicity that is in Christ. More than likely, we have settled into a religious routine and lost sight of relationship. Let’s get back to our first love today! Let's make it a point to “rediscover Jesus.”

Revelation 2:4 - Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

Pastor Loren Larson
Loren Larson Ministries

Sep 3, 2016

Philippians 2:10
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

If you are following this commentary, you will see that everything God is doing is tied to His Son, Jesus Christ, and His sacrificial work at Calvary. God is saving, sanctifying, keeping, and pouring out of His Spirit upon those who come to Him through faith in the work of His Son at the cross, but He is also resisting those who attempt to come to Him through any other means. Every knee bowing at the name of Jesus means that everything created, whether things in Heaven or things in and on the earth, will acknowledge the power of His cross, for the power of His cross is the power of His name!

The name of Jesus means Savior, and He only saves by grace through faith, which points us to His work on the cross, for it is there He tasted death for us BY GRACE (Hebrews 2:9), through faith (Galatians 2:20). When Christ was lifted up on the cross, it was the manifestation of God’s avenue of exaltation, and this is the only place through which God is glorified and man exalted. It is also the only place that God sees His people with Him and has promised to give us all things freely (Romans 8:32). All will bow before Jesus and confess Him as Lord, although for most it will be far too late (Isaiah 45:23, Romans 14:11). Every heart has been shapened alike by our faithful Creator, therefore all can choose to believe upon Christ, but the choice is also there to reject Him. He’s calling us home, do not delay another day!

3/24/2020

Pastor Curtis

Sep 3, 2016
Your Word for Today

“and the Ark of God was taken; and the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were slain (I Sam. 4:11).

Israel is now in serious straits, because its spiritual leadership is woefully lacking. The Philistines attack, for Satan sees his opportunity. Israel is defeated, with some 4,000 men dying on that fateful day.

As the people of God retreat in order to stem the tide of defeat, they think, “Let us fetch the Ark of the Covenant of the LORD out of Shiloh unto us, that, when it comes among us, it may save us out of the hand of our enemies.”

They were to find that the Ark of God, without the Presence of God, was no more than a piece of furniture; consequently, it contained no power within itself; therefore, the end result would not be what they had hoped, but rather the very opposite.

I’m afraid the modern Church is all too often reduced to the same spectacle as Israel of old, i.e., rituals and ceremonies have taken the place of the Spirit of God.

As with Israel of old, Satan, of which the Philistines were a type, will play havoc with Believers. As Israel of old, the modern Church has its ornaments; it has become, again as Israel, very adept at shouting (I Sam. 4:5-6); however, their “shouting” was no more than racket in the ears of God, and likewise, Satan. The results were awful:

1. Thirty thousand of the soldiers of Israel were killed in the battle. Coupling that with the 4,000 previously killed constituted 34,000 men dying in that one conflict.

2. The Ark of God was taken by the Philistines.

3. The two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were killed.

When Eli, who was the Great High Priest, heard that the Ark of God has been taken by the Philistines, the Scripture says, “he fell from off the seat backward by the side of the gate, and his neck broke, and he died” (I Sam. 4:18).

Along with being High Priest, Eli also served as the Judge of Israel, a role he filled for some 40 years. Had he judged in fellowship with God and in obedience to the Scriptures, the disasters that befell on the day of his death would never have happened; and yet, in his death, he showed that the interests of God’s Kingdom had a true place in his heart.

Israel, when confronted by the enemy, tried to use a symbol in place of the Substance. The modern Church does the same when it places its faith in things other than the Cross.”

Donnie Swaggart