James' warning letter.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The term is actually an eschatological reference and has been argued by commentators such as Moo to refer to Christians as an early manner of giving a general audience rather than restricting it to a single cities occupants. The reference is to identify the time period we are living in rather than the people as the only tribes that are identifiable still are Judah and to a lesser extent Benjamin. The other tribes are and were pretty much entirely lost in human terms.
That contradicts every other usage of that term throughout scripture. I’m not willing to do that.

Apr 2, 2020
That contradicts every other usage of that term throughout scripture. I’m not willing to do that.
I don't see how, as it is persistently used as a spiritual community up until the time of the 2nd temple rather than strictly being the physical descendants of Abraham. I haven't articulated the full argument from Moo and others but it is essentially that to James those who respond positively to the gospel are in fact members of the lost tribes of Israel being re-gathered in fulfillment of the promises that Israel would not remain dispersed and lost forever.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I don't see how, as it is persistently used as a spiritual community up until the time of the 2nd temple rather than strictly being the physical descendants of Abraham. I haven't articulated the full argument from Moo and others but it is essentially that to James those who respond positively to the gospel are in fact members of the lost tribes of Israel being re-gathered in fulfillment of the promises that Israel would not remain dispersed and lost forever.
Never a spiritual community but God’s physical people Israel. I am not a member of the twelve tribes, but the body of Christ where there is no Jew or Gentile.

Apr 2, 2020
Never a spiritual community but God’s physical people Israel. I am not a member of the twelve tribes, but the body of Christ where there is no Jew or Gentile.
The twelve tribes were certainly a kingdom, but it was always a spiritual community entered through circumcision which is why all of Abraham's servants were included in the initial circumcision. The question is authorial intent and there is evidence that 12 tribes at the time of writing was being used in an end times sense regarding the promises of God.

I'm not saying this is absolutely the case, merely that an argument can and has been made in which the 12 tribes appelation is directed not simply at physical descendants of Abraham but to all the heirs of Abraham. Just as Paul in Romans states that not all Israel is Israel precisely because Israel has always been a spiritual reality rather than a strictly physical one.

Jan 12, 2019
The twelve tribes were certainly a kingdom, but it was always a spiritual community entered through circumcision which is why all of Abraham's servants were included in the initial circumcision. The question is authorial intent and there is evidence that 12 tribes at the time of writing was being used in an end times sense regarding the promises of God.

I'm not saying this is absolutely the case, merely that an argument can and has been made in which the 12 tribes appelation is directed not simply at physical descendants of Abraham but to all the heirs of Abraham. Just as Paul in Romans states that not all Israel is Israel precisely because Israel has always been a spiritual reality rather than a strictly physical one.
So you are using the popular argument

Israel is spiritual
We are spiritual
Therefore we are Israel?

Apr 2, 2020
So you are using the popular argument

Israel is spiritual
We are spiritual
Therefore we are Israel?
Not exactly, what is meant by Israel varies in the Bible. In places it refers to the kingdom that has Deuteronomy as its federal documents and God as king. What I am stating is limited to the possible uses for the opening of James rather than a sweeping statement.