Jesus and the Water

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ThereRoseaLamb

Well-known member
Jan 17, 2023
9,232
5,157
113
For those of us who grew up in Sunday school the story of Jesus walking on the water is more than familiar. How many sermons I have heard on it over the years I could not tell. But the other day something stood out to me in a way it never had before. Surely I have seen it, but it seems I missed it. And so I wondered about it and I thought I have never heard a sermon about it. Here are the verses in Mark.


Then He saw them straining at rowing, for the wind was against them. Now about the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea, and would have passed them by. 49 And when they saw Him walking on the sea, they supposed it was a ghost, and cried out....


Does that stand out to anyone? He would have passed them by. It just hit me differently as the young people say. I don't know why. Does anyone have thoughts or insight on this? It seems there is a sermon in there somewhere.
 
For those of us who grew up in Sunday school the story of Jesus walking on the water is more than familiar. How many sermons I have heard on it over the years I could not tell. But the other day something stood out to me in a way it never had before. Surely I have seen it, but it seems I missed it. And so I wondered about it and I thought I have never heard a sermon about it. Here are the verses in Mark.


Then He saw them straining at rowing, for the wind was against them. Now about the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea, and would have passed them by. 49 And when they saw Him walking on the sea, they supposed it was a ghost, and cried out....


Does that stand out to anyone? He would have passed them by. It just hit me differently as the young people say. I don't know why. Does anyone have thoughts or insight on this? It seems there is a sermon in there somewhere.
I read through the cross references Matthew14:22; Mark6:45-52; and John6:16-21. And it strikes me that Jesus intended to 'go ahead of them,' which brings Isaiah58:8 to mind, "Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will come quickly. Your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard." He sent them ahead of Him but could see that they were experiencing difficulty even while He was still on land and Mark says, "for they had not understand about the loaves, but their hearts had been hardened (Mark6:52)." I wonder if He expected that they should be encouraged by seeing Him but was met by "little faith, why did you doubt (Matt14:31)?" But as always, faithful and true to His character, He had compassion on them when they became frightened saying, "Take courage! It is I. Do not be afraid (Matt14:27)."
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deuteronomy
For those of us who grew up in Sunday school the story of Jesus walking on the water is more than familiar. How many sermons I have heard on it over the years I could not tell. But the other day something stood out to me in a way it never had before. Surely I have seen it, but it seems I missed it. And so I wondered about it and I thought I have never heard a sermon about it. Here are the verses in Mark.


Then He saw them straining at rowing, for the wind was against them. Now about the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea, and would have passed them by. 49 And when they saw Him walking on the sea, they supposed it was a ghost, and cried out....


Does that stand out to anyone? He would have passed them by. It just hit me differently as the young people say. I don't know why. Does anyone have thoughts or insight on this? It seems there is a sermon in there somewhere.
Jesus knew beforehand that they would see Him and that He would get into the boat. Perhaps, by walking past them, they would get a better view of Him walking on the water. Just my two cents.
 
Here are some thoughts about this from one of my word studies and three of my commentaries.

6:48 He saw them toiling in rowing. The verb is basanizō (βασανιζω) “to torture,” used in the passive, “to be harassed, distressed.”

The fourth watch of the night. It was between three and six in the morning.

Walking on the sea. The word “on” is epi (ἐπι) which when used with the genitive case as it is here, signifies contact. Our Lord’s sandals had actual contact with the water. He walked on the surface of the sea as we walk on a hard pavement.

Would have passed by them. The word “would” is the translation of thelō (θελω) “I desire.” He desired to pass by them. The word “by” is para (παρα) which means “beside.” The word “passed” is erchomai (ἐρχομαι) “to go.” The A.V., leaves the impression that our Lord desired to pass them by. But He went out on that turbulent sea in order to go to their help. This preposition para (παρα) when used in composition with a verb as it is here, denotes “situation or motion either from the side of or to the side of,” and thus means “near, beside, by, to.” The context points to the rendering. “He was desiring to go to their side.” An instance of this use is found in Acts 24:7, where the A.V., has “The chief captain Lysias came upon us,” and the same verb is used, parerchomai (παρερχομαι). Both Expositors and Robertson understand the meaning to be that Jesus desired to pass by the disciples, and parerchomai (παρερχομαι) has that meaning. But it also means “to come near.” The context is decisive for the latter, in the judgment of the present writer, since the reason why Jesus went out to the disciples, was, not to pass by and leave them to their fate, but to come near and help them in their difficulty, which thing He proceeded to do.

Translation. And seeing them constantly distressed in their rowing, for the wind was against them, sometime between three and six in the morning, He comes to them walking directly on the sea. And He was desiring to go to their side.
~Wuest, K. S. (1997). Wuest’s word studies from the Greek New Testament: for the English reader (Vol. 1, pp. 136–137). Eerdmans.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

would have passed them by. The more literal rendering, “desired to come alongside of,” indicates Jesus’ intention here. He wanted to test the disciples’ faith, so He deliberately changed course and came parallel to the boat to see if they would recognize Him and His supernatural powers and invite Him aboard. ~MacArthur, J., Jr., The MacArthur Study Bible & Commentary on Mark

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ~or~

While the Twelve struggled against the elements, Jesus walked across the surface of the sea, stepping on and over the waves to where the boat was. He intended to “pass by them” in the manner of God in the Old Testament, who sometimes allowed His people to glimpse His presence as a means of reassuring them (e.g., Exod. 33:19–22; 1 Kgs. 19:11).

In the Old Testament, only God could tread upon the waves (cf. Job 9:8; 38:16; Ps. 77:19; Isa. 43:16). ~Swindoll, C. R. (2018). Mark (p. 175). Tyndale House Publishers.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

He meant to pass by them, not to avoid them, but so that they would see him walking on the water. The passage echoes the incident where God “passed” before Moses (Ex. 33:19, 22; 34:6), giving a glimpse of his glory. See Job 9:11, where Job says that God “passes by” him. By walking on the water, Jesus is essentially proclaiming his deity. ~Packer, J. I., Grudem, W., & Fernando, A., eds. (2012). ESV Global Study Bible (p. 1389). Crossway.
​
There are at least a couple of other ideas (that the authors of my other commentaries and word studies offer) about what "Jesus intended to pass them by" actually means, but I believe that the word study and commentaries above probably get closer to the actual meaning of this difficult verse (esp. when the context of the passage is considered).

This is certainly an interesting verse to consider, thanks for broaching it @ThereRoseaLamb :)

~Deuteronomy
 
Here are some thoughts about this from one of my word studies and three of my commentaries.
​
6:48 He saw them toiling in rowing. The verb is basanizō (βασανιζω) “to torture,” used in the passive, “to be harassed, distressed.”​
​
The fourth watch of the night. It was between three and six in the morning.​
​
Walking on the sea. The word “on” is epi (ἐπι) which when used with the genitive case as it is here, signifies contact. Our Lord’s sandals had actual contact with the water. He walked on the surface of the sea as we walk on a hard pavement.​
​
Would have passed by them. The word “would” is the translation of thelō (θελω) “I desire.” He desired to pass by them. The word “by” is para (παρα) which means “beside.” The word “passed” is erchomai (ἐρχομαι) “to go.” The A.V., leaves the impression that our Lord desired to pass them by. But He went out on that turbulent sea in order to go to their help. This preposition para (παρα) when used in composition with a verb as it is here, denotes “situation or motion either from the side of or to the side of,” and thus means “near, beside, by, to.” The context points to the rendering. “He was desiring to go to their side.” An instance of this use is found in Acts 24:7, where the A.V., has “The chief captain Lysias came upon us,” and the same verb is used, parerchomai (παρερχομαι). Both Expositors and Robertson understand the meaning to be that Jesus desired to pass by the disciples, and parerchomai (παρερχομαι) has that meaning. But it also means “to come near.” The context is decisive for the latter, in the judgment of the present writer, since the reason why Jesus went out to the disciples, was, not to pass by and leave them to their fate, but to come near and help them in their difficulty, which thing He proceeded to do.​
​
Translation. And seeing them constantly distressed in their rowing, for the wind was against them, sometime between three and six in the morning, He comes to them walking directly on the sea. And He was desiring to go to their side. ~Wuest, K. S. (1997). Wuest’s word studies from the Greek New Testament: for the English reader (Vol. 1, pp. 136–137). Eerdmans.​
​
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////​
​
would have passed them by. The more literal rendering, “desired to come alongside of,” indicates Jesus’ intention here. He wanted to test the disciples’ faith, so He deliberately changed course and came parallel to the boat to see if they would recognize Him and His supernatural powers and invite Him aboard. ~MacArthur, J., Jr., The MacArthur Study Bible & Commentary on Mark​
​
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// ~or~​
​
While the Twelve struggled against the elements, Jesus walked across the surface of the sea, stepping on and over the waves to where the boat was. He intended to “pass by them” in the manner of God in the Old Testament, who sometimes allowed His people to glimpse His presence as a means of reassuring them (e.g., Exod. 33:19–22; 1 Kgs. 19:11).​
​
In the Old Testament, only God could tread upon the waves (cf. Job 9:8; 38:16; Ps. 77:19; Isa. 43:16). ~Swindoll, C. R. (2018). Mark (p. 175). Tyndale House Publishers.​
​
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////​
​
He meant to pass by them, not to avoid them, but so that they would see him walking on the water. The passage echoes the incident where God “passed” before Moses (Ex. 33:19, 22; 34:6), giving a glimpse of his glory. See Job 9:11, where Job says that God “passes by” him. By walking on the water, Jesus is essentially proclaiming his deity. ~Packer, J. I., Grudem, W., & Fernando, A., eds. (2012). ESV Global Study Bible (p. 1389). Crossway.​
​
There are at least a couple of other ideas (that the authors of my other commentaries and word studies offer) about what "Jesus intended to pass them by" actually means, but I believe that the word study and commentaries above probably get closer to the actual meaning of this difficult verse (esp. when the context of the passage is considered).

This is certainly an interesting verse to consider, thanks for broaching it @ThereRoseaLamb :)

~Deuteronomy


Wow, that is very thorough! That does make sense. And it strikes me even more now with the image of Jesus just walking along the water. I've lived by the ocean and seen some bad storms, even been in a boat in a storm. It's not fun and it certainly can make you anxious. I was on a ferry boat. I'm assuming their fishing boat would be a lot smaller. And they would feel the waves a lot more, perhaps the water even coming in the boat. And here Jesus comes, walking on the water like nothing is wrong. How they must have felt. Then He calms the storm. I heard a song the other day and a line in it says "Sometimes He calms the storm, sometimes He calms me". In that situation, Jesus did both. Thank you for sharing that word study!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deuteronomy
Jesus knew beforehand that they would see Him and that He would get into the boat. Perhaps, by walking past them, they would get a better view of Him walking on the water. Just my two cents.

Yes, it was stormy, the sea is quite dark at night to begin with. They thought He was a ghost. There are certainly enough stories about storms and people lost at sea.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deuteronomy
I read through the cross references Matthew14:22; Mark6:45-52; and John6:16-21. And it strikes me that Jesus intended to 'go ahead of them,' which brings Isaiah58:8 to mind, "Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will come quickly. Your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard." He sent them ahead of Him but could see that they were experiencing difficulty even while He was still on land and Mark says, "for they had not understand about the loaves, but their hearts had been hardened (Mark6:52)." I wonder if He expected that they should be encouraged by seeing Him but was met by "little faith, why did you doubt (Matt14:31)?" But as always, faithful and true to His character, He had compassion on them when they became frightened saying, "Take courage! It is I. Do not be afraid (Matt14:27)."

That is interesting. I was chatting with my mother about it. Jesus sends them ahead in the boat and stays to pray and have some time alone. We were talking about how Jesus was just walking along on the water, He had no need of a boat. No wonder they thought He was a ghost! They had just seen Jesus feed the crowd with barely any food, and food was left over. But they were still afraid when their boat was tossed about. Then a new thought comes to my mind in that Jesus said to Peter to come to him. Peter was doing the impossible, walking on water. How small my faith feels when I think that it would be possible to walk on water had I only the faith to believe as Peter did for that moment. Would I have even had that much faith, I wonder. How big is our God, and how little our faith sometimes.
 
I don't think "passed by" is the correct translation of the word. #1 and #2 make the most sense

G3928 παρέρχομαι parerchomai (par-er'-cho-mai) v.
1. to come near or aside.
2. to approach (arrive).
3. to go by (or away).
 
In the Old Testament, only God could tread upon the waves (cf. Job 9:8; 38:16; Ps. 77:19; Isa. 43:16). ~Swindoll, C. R. (2018). Mark (p. 175). Tyndale House Publishers.

Matthew 14:33, "Then those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God!” Jesus was crucified for 'blaspheming", and these worshipped Him so it's really no wonder that all of them were martyred or as in the case of John's survival, that wasn't from the lack of attempts, more than just once, before they gave up trying.

Peter was doing the impossible, walking on water. How small my faith feels when I think that it would be possible to walk on water had I only the faith to believe as Peter did for that moment. Would I have even had that much faith, I wonder. How big is our God, and how little our faith sometimes.
If we just considered the depth of all the implications involved in that "...He gave us the right to become the children of God (John 1:12)."o_O
 
  • Like
Reactions: Deuteronomy
So let's move on, here's another Scripture about God walking that always caught my attention.

“And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day..."

Do you think that God was actually walking in the garden as we do? Adam and Eve hid, He was going to see them. Could they see God like they were seeing each other? What are your thoughts?
 
So let's move on, here's another Scripture about God walking that always caught my attention.

“And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day..."

Do you think that God was actually walking in the garden as we do? Adam and Eve hid, He was going to see them. Could they see God like they were seeing each other? What are your thoughts?

I wrote this about the garden events. It answers, or at least gives more understanding to your topic.

Prior to the fall, Adam and Eve identified with God who was their father. Their father was Spirit (John 4:24) so they saw themselves as spirits clothed in flesh. They were given bodies to interact with creation. Their Father provided an environment that was perfectly compatible with them: all of their needs, their safety, their well-being, etc., the environment accommodated all their concerns.

They would gain wisdom and understanding by putting into practice what their Father showed them. By this lifestyle, following the direction of their Father in all they did and putting that into practice, they would come to understand both good and evil.

"But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."

We might think, "But, without sin, why is knowing good or evil important?" Part of the destiny of man is to judge angels. Even if Adam and Eve continued without sin, they would have to know the basis upon which to judge the angels who rebelled.

The difference was HOW the knowledge of good and evil was obtained. There was nothing special about the fruit of the tree. It was not magic. It was simply off-limits for their direct consumption. Man was never to be the arbiter of good and evil. He was always supposed to gain such wisdom from his Father, God, and walk in His ways which are always righteous and good.

As they consumed the fruit they immediately identified with their physical make-up and saw themselves as flesh and, therefore, naked: previously they saw themselves as spirits clothed in flesh. Now, they would be ruled by the needs of their arraignment, the flesh that covered them.

As an aside, this is why, in the ministry of reconciliation, we are to regard "no man after the flesh".

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

To continue: when it reads "and their eyes were opened" this is not a reference to their physical eyes. This is a reference to the eyes of their soul. They saw how the fruit could benefit them even though consuming it was contrary to the way of their Father.

And this is the crux of the issue: original sin. This sin is summarized in the scripture thus: "For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world."

Jesus tells us such lusts and pride are the ways of the world. It's no mystery, then, that as the world proceeds to its end, lawlessness will abound. Lawlessness is when people do what is right in their own eyes.

So, the world of man-kind is approaching a dichotomy: there will only be two sons left in the world. The side that has rejected God will do what is right in their own eyes: they will make up rules and laws that serve their own purposes. This "son" is called Adam. He will be completely lawless, consumed with his own lusts and desires. The other side, reconciled to God's original intent through Christ, will live by the Spirit, only doing what they see their Father doing. This son is "Christ". all who believe on Him for life will be included in Him.
 
I wrote this about the garden events. It answers, or at least gives more understanding to your topic.

Prior to the fall, Adam and Eve identified with God who was their father. Their father was Spirit (John 4:24) so they saw themselves as spirits clothed in flesh. They were given bodies to interact with creation. Their Father provided an environment that was perfectly compatible with them: all of their needs, their safety, their well-being, etc., the environment accommodated all their concerns.

They would gain wisdom and understanding by putting into practice what their Father showed them. By this lifestyle, following the direction of their Father in all they did and putting that into practice, they would come to understand both good and evil.

"But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil."

We might think, "But, without sin, why is knowing good or evil important?" Part of the destiny of man is to judge angels. Even if Adam and Eve continued without sin, they would have to know the basis upon which to judge the angels who rebelled.

The difference was HOW the knowledge of good and evil was obtained. There was nothing special about the fruit of the tree. It was not magic. It was simply off-limits for their direct consumption. Man was never to be the arbiter of good and evil. He was always supposed to gain such wisdom from his Father, God, and walk in His ways which are always righteous and good.

As they consumed the fruit they immediately identified with their physical make-up and saw themselves as flesh and, therefore, naked: previously they saw themselves as spirits clothed in flesh. Now, they would be ruled by the needs of their arraignment, the flesh that covered them.

As an aside, this is why, in the ministry of reconciliation, we are to regard "no man after the flesh".

"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

To continue: when it reads "and their eyes were opened" this is not a reference to their physical eyes. This is a reference to the eyes of their soul. They saw how the fruit could benefit them even though consuming it was contrary to the way of their Father.

And this is the crux of the issue: original sin. This sin is summarized in the scripture thus: "For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world."

Jesus tells us such lusts and pride are the ways of the world. It's no mystery, then, that as the world proceeds to its end, lawlessness will abound. Lawlessness is when people do what is right in their own eyes.

So, the world of man-kind is approaching a dichotomy: there will only be two sons left in the world. The side that has rejected God will do what is right in their own eyes: they will make up rules and laws that serve their own purposes. This "son" is called Adam. He will be completely lawless, consumed with his own lusts and desires. The other side, reconciled to God's original intent through Christ, will live by the Spirit, only doing what they see their Father doing. This son is "Christ". all who believe on Him for life will be included in Him.

I appreciate the post, enough that I need to read it again before I make a comment. But it sure does speak to the world we are living in today. I have shut the news off, I can't take what I'm seeing every night. People being attacked in the streets, set on fire, murdered. Surely the coming of the Lord is close.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Aaron56 and Suze
For those of us who grew up in Sunday school the story of Jesus walking on the water is more than familiar. How many sermons I have heard on it over the years I could not tell. But the other day something stood out to me in a way it never had before. Surely I have seen it, but it seems I missed it. And so I wondered about it and I thought I have never heard a sermon about it. Here are the verses in Mark.


Then He saw them straining at rowing, for the wind was against them. Now about the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea, and would have passed them by. 49 And when they saw Him walking on the sea, they supposed it was a ghost, and cried out....


Does that stand out to anyone? He would have passed them by. It just hit me differently as the young people say. I don't know why. Does anyone have thoughts or insight on this? It seems there is a sermon in there somewhere.
Too many Christians live as if Christ was on the outside, while they struggle against the storms of life. Why did Jesus stay behind while he watched the disciples struggle? They needed to learn something. I've done much the same as the disciples too many times. Now I am a little wiser. If Jesus was on the shore waving me off, now I would say, "No thanks, I'll wait for you." I used to be totatally independent. Like many, I only called out to God for help when life became impossible. Now I treat the Christian life as impossible without Jesus.

I still forget sometimes, usually because I'm doing something I know how to do easily. I recently damaged a tendon in my thumb as a result. I have a splint to remind me not to be careless.

The disciples did not die, they were a little shook up but they were blessed with the presence of Jesus. When Jesus is in control, the storms subside and peace comes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suze
For those of us who grew up in Sunday school the story of Jesus walking on the water is more than familiar. How many sermons I have heard on it over the years I could not tell. But the other day something stood out to me in a way it never had before. Surely I have seen it, but it seems I missed it. And so I wondered about it and I thought I have never heard a sermon about it. Here are the verses in Mark.


Then He saw them straining at rowing, for the wind was against them. Now about the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea, and would have passed them by. 49 And when they saw Him walking on the sea, they supposed it was a ghost, and cried out....


Does that stand out to anyone? He would have passed them by. It just hit me differently as the young people say. I don't know why. Does anyone have thoughts or insight on this? It seems there is a sermon in there somewhere.
My thought is that Jesus would have arrived before them he was moving better than they were in the boat at a faster better pace walking by faith

something really cool I noticed when refreshing my memory was this part

“And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.

And he said, Come.

And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭14:28-32‬ ‭KJV‬‬

There’s a lot there to notice 1 why did Peter initially insist that Jesus called him by his word to come ? And why did Peter begin to sink ?

But most of all we see our hero in it a man’s faith who believes in Jesus whose faith is failing for a moment he’s dead for sure but even as he’s doubted ……Jesus immediately responds when he calls out for him “ save me lord “ and immediately even in his own failure he had stepped out in faith and Jesus made sure he was back safe in the boat in the end …..

getting to know Jesus in those moments is how he’s always going to be forever for a believer in him

“Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

and so we have that true northern star that never changes or moves as we behold him in the gospel we get to know him in our hearts and minds through belief and in those moments we recall and call out “ lord save me “ in faith and even as we fail if we call out he will always respond

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:20‬ ‭KJV‬‬
 
My thought is that Jesus would have arrived before them he was moving better than they were in the boat at a faster better pace walking by faith

something really cool I noticed when refreshing my memory was this part

“And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.

And he said, Come.

And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭14:28-32‬ ‭KJV‬‬

There’s a lot there to notice 1 why did Peter initially insist that Jesus called him by his word to come ? And why did Peter begin to sink ?

But most of all we see our hero in it a man’s faith who believes in Jesus whose faith is failing for a moment he’s dead for sure but even as he’s doubted ……Jesus immediately responds when he calls out for him “ save me lord “ and immediately even in his own failure he had stepped out in faith and Jesus made sure he was back safe in the boat in the end …..

getting to know Jesus in those moments is how he’s always going to be forever for a believer in him

“Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭13:8‬ ‭KJV‬‬

and so we have that true northern star that never changes or moves as we behold him in the gospel we get to know him in our hearts and minds through belief and in those moments we recall and call out “ lord save me “ in faith and even as we fail if we call out he will always respond

“And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.”
‭‭1 John‬ ‭5:20‬ ‭KJV‬‬
Peter saw the wind boisterous , he was walking by the sight of his eyes and not in faith . We all do it sometimes , it's hard not to b affected by what we c and hear in this world , we too can feel as if we r sinking into stormy waters . This is what is meant by walk by faith not by sight . By my God I have run through a troop says David . We too can get through the storms of this life if we walk towards Jesus in faith .
 
Peter saw the wind boisterous , he was walking by the sight of his eyes and not in faith . We all do it sometimes , it's hard not to b affected by what we c and hear in this world , we too can feel as if we r sinking into stormy waters . This is what is meant by walk by faith not by sight . By my God I have run through a troop says David . We too can get through the storms of this life if we walk towards Jesus in faith .
Amen well said and it’s really good to understand that the times we fall short and sink …he’s right there like daddy holding on to the bike seat until we’re ready. Until our riding skills and balance are mature

if I thought I only have one chance I might be afraid to step out of the boat but if I know HE is right there walking with me , and that he’s willing to save me when I fail then I might be a little braver to step onto the water with Jesus
 
  • Like
Reactions: Suze