Jesus, before becoming a man

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
magenta, would it be God the Father who created the heavens, earth, host.....?
Jesus is God in the form of man but Jesus wasn't alive yet. just asking.
Jesus was with God "in the beginning" and consider that in eternity there is no beginning or end.
John 1:1 ~ Jesus is identified as being the Word, and the Word being God. Scripture identifies Jesus
as the Creator, as per
John 1:3 (Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made
that has been made.)
, and also Colossians 1:16 ~ The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn
over all creation. For in Him all things were created, things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible,
whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities. All things were created through Him and for Him.

Also Hebrews 1:3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His nature, upholding
all things by His powerful Word
(Jesus). Psalm 33:6 By the Word (Jesus) of the LORD the heavens were made, and
all the stars by the breath of His mouth. Jeremiah 10:12 The LORD made the earth by His power; He established
the world by His wisdom and stretched out the heavens by His understanding.

Jesus is the power of God, the "agency" through which all came into being. He is the light and life of men...
God manifested in the flesh of humanity, a veil/curtain He took upon Himself in order to redeem mankind.

... by the new and living way opened for us through the curtain of His body,

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Jesus was with God "in the beginning" and consider that in eternity there is no beginning or end.
John 1:1 ~ Jesus is identified as being the Word, and the Word being God. Scripture identifies Jesus
as the Creator, as per
John 1:3 (Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made
that has been made.)
, and also Colossians 1:16 ~ The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn
over all creation. For in Him all things were created, things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible,
whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities. All things were created through Him and for Him.

Also Hebrews 1:3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His nature, upholding
all things by His powerful Word
(Jesus). Psalm 33:6 By the Word (Jesus) of the LORD the heavens were made, and
all the stars by the breath of His mouth. Jeremiah 10:12 The LORD made the earth by His power; He established
the world by His wisdom and stretched out the heavens by His understanding.

Jesus is the power of God, the "agency" through which all came into being. He is the light and life of men...
God manifested in the flesh of humanity, a veil/curtain He took upon Himself in order to redeem mankind.

... by the new and living way opened for us through the curtain of His body,
correlating to Colossians 1:19 & 3:17, Ephesians 1:22,23, Hebrews 1:1,2.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
How can one ask a question that is so easily answered in John and rev. Are we to twist it or maybe just take Him at what He said. The Father and Christ are one. So might as well ask what was God before all this for they are exactly the same yet not

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
How can one ask a question that is so easily answered in John and rev. Are we to twist it or maybe just take Him at what He
said. The Father and Christ are one. So might as well ask what was God before all this for they are exactly the same yet not
Anyone who has doubts about the Divinity of Christ should check this thread (<= link) by our beloved brother @posthuman .:)

Although those who are convinced otherwise are not easily swayed by the plethora of Scripture that refutes them...

bluto

Aug 4, 2016
bluto, I appreciate your post, agree with just about all of it. Since this post is about better understanding Jesus preincarnate, I would like you and all who are following this thread to consider the following, for the purpose of better understanding our amazing God.

First, I have come to understand that the Bible never contradicts itself. If we consider certain texts to be contradictive it is because our understanding is wrong, therefore we must rethink the issue until the contradiction is resolved.

Your comment above bluto, is a perfect example. I hope you don't become defensive and start firing poison arrows at me, because my motive is not to make me look better informed than you, but rather to share with others what the Holy Spirit has revealed to me, for His Glory.

You referenced Gen. 22, as proof that Michael the archangel, "is not," the Angel of the Lord. With that thought in mind consider the contradicting that occurs with the two texts given in the following: It is the last point of eight given to prove that Mechael the archangel is Jesus preincarnate, by this individual of whom I have know for over thirty five years, and she is not an JW.

POINT EIGHT: Jesus encouraged us to: “Search the Scriptures.” (John 5:39) It is very important to compare texts throughout the different books of the Bible, for there is no single writer found in the Old or New Testament who had all of God’s truth revealed to them. Each inspired writer was given a glimpse of the heavenly vision. If our hearts “thirst” after truth, we must carefully search with all our hearts and read all that the Bible says about any given subject.

The apostles, John and Paul, give a good example of how two texts can describe the same event, but in slightly different ways. Paul says dead believers are resurrected at the voice of the Archangel. “For the Lord Himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.” (1 Thessalonians 4:16)
John records that the Lord Jesus said the dead righteous would be resurrected at the sound of His own voice. “I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. . . . And He has given Him authority to judge because He is the Son of Man. Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear His voice and come out – those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.” (John 5:25-29) These parallel passages are speaking of the same event. Paul, in Thessalonians, calls it “the voice of the Archangel” and John, in His gospel, calls it “the voice of the Son of God.”

When Christ returns to call His faithful ones to life, every angel in heaven will come with Him: “The Son of Man shall come in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him.” (Matthew 25:31) He is their Commander! There is no mystery here – Jesus, the Life-giver, is also, Michael, the Archangel, preincarnate.

Should anyone be interested in hearing her other seven points just let me know.
I completely understand the points you are making and I know (a couple) solid Trinitarian believers who do think Jesus Christ in His preincarnate state think He is Michael the arc angel. Some also believe He is "Melchizedek" as well. Of course I don't believe that either.

First things first by providing the definition of "angel." The Hebrew word for angel is "malak." In the strictest sense it simply means "messenger." Some think it means an actual angel and this based on the fact that real angels are "messengers" Men are called "malak/angel/messengers" and a good example of this is at Malachi 3:1, "Behold, I am going to send My "malak/angel/messenger" and he will clear the way before Me. And the Lord whom you seek, will suddenly come to His temple; and the "malak/angel/messenger" of the covenant, in whom you delight, behold, He is coming, says the Lord of hosts."

The messenger that is coming to clear the way of the Lord is John the Baptist, and he is not an angel, except maybe to his mother. This is proven at Mark 1:1-4. Getting back to Malachi, who's the messenger of the covenant? Will get to that later. And btw, the prophet "Maalachi," well his name is from the word "malak." Afterall, prophets are messengers as well.

Now, getting back to Genesis 22 which I deem absolute proof that the angel of the Lord is the preincarnate Jesus Christ. As I explained in my first post to you from Genesis 22, actual angels 'CANNOT" swear oaths on behalf of God Almighty Himself. I'm going to cut to the chase on this, although I could get extensive. You have at Genesis 22:11-15 calling out of the heavens to Abraham and saying at Genesis 16, "and said, "By Myself I have sworn declares the Lord, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, you only son, Vs17, indeed I will greatly bless you, and I will greatly multiply your seed as the stars of the heavens and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your seed shall possess the gate of their enemies." (As a side note Isaac was not Abraham' s only son, he had Ishmael first.

The bottom line in all of this is the fact that actual angel's CANNOT swear oaths on behalf of God, period. It is true that angels represent God at times but they cannot swear oaths on behalf of Him. This is made clear at Hebrews 6:13-17. "For when GOD made the promise to Abraham, SINCE HE COULD NOT SWEAR BY NO ONE GREATER, HE SWORE BYHIMSELF, vs14, saying, I will surel bless you, and I will surely multiply you. vs15, and thus, having patiently waited, he/Abraham obtained the promise.

Vs16, "For men swear by one greater than themselves, and with them an oath given as confirmation is an end of every dispute. Vs17, "In the same way GOD desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose, interposed with an oath." Now, here's an interesting side note and is taken from Revelation 10:5-6. It shows that angels by themselves can swear an oath. "And the angel whom I say standing on the sea and on the land lifted up his right hand to heaven, vs6, and swore BY HIM WHO LIVES FOREVER AND EVER, Who created heaven and the things in it, and the earth and the things in it, and the sea and the things in it, that there shall be delay no longer." Even here angels swear oaths by God Himself.

There's another very important aspect to this subject, the swearing of oaths. The Jews have a legal concept of "agency" whereby the lawful acts of someone authorized by, and acting on behalf of another or the "principal/shaliach" (in this case Jesus Christ) acting on behalf of God). This is from the Jewish virtual library, not something I made up.

As a result of the "shaliach/agency, the possible field of legal activity is extended beyoun the normal physical limitations. In short, the "agent/shaliach" Bet Shammai and Bet Hillel agreed that a person appointed to the Tosefta (Kid. 4:1) is disqualified from acting as a witness in a case involving such mandate. In other words, (and this is true in any court case down through history), if you witnessed a crime of any kind, you cannot send your Uncle Harry as a witness to testify for you. Even if you cannot make to court for some reason the court will send a court official to "DEPOSE" you.

Now, you mentioned to me about contradictions which I agree with, there are no contradictions in the Bible. You brought this up as it relates to a couple of passages relating to Michael the arc angel. In order for it to be a legitimate contradiction you have first prove that Jesus Christ is in reality Michael the arc angel. Having a couple of similar text is not proof. I can have the voice of dog barking, it does not make me a dog. Anyone can make an assertion, in the big leagues you have to prove your assertion.

IN THE ANGEL OF THE LORD,
bluto

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Sometimes just the hand/hands of God or the arm of the Lord is mentioned... or bosom.

Who led them by the right hand of Moses, with His glorious arm, Dividing the water before
them To make for Himself an everlasting name,
Isa 63:12 which would of course be the Name
above all names, about Whom it is said there is none other by which we may be saved.

l feed His flock like a shepherd, He will gather the lambs in His arm and
carry them in His bosom, and gently lead those who are with young. Isa 40:11

Jesus is the Good Shepherd. Also, Psalm 89:10,13, 20-21… You have scattered Your enemies with Your mighty
arm… I have found My servant, David… My arm shall strengthen him… I will beat down his foes before his face…

Exodus 6:6-8… I am the Lord; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians;
I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and
with great judgments. I will take you as My people and I will be your God. Then you will know
that I am the Lord your God who brings you out from under the burdens of Egypt…

Isaiah 41:10 Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen
you; I will surely help you; I will uphold you with My right hand of righteousness.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Consider the possibility that the OT appearances of Jesus were made after His resurrection.

I believe it would be very safe to assume that He could appear at any time in history that He wished to do so.

What is time to God?
I am having trouble considering that.
For a more detailed explanation, please read the opening/original post of this thread:

https://christianchat.com/bible-dis...of-god-word-father-son-and-the-trinity.72792/
The OP of the thread helps to explain what I was talking about...

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
interesting question!

through word searches i found no instance in the NT where anyone explicitly called Him by His name.

But it's implied with Joseph, and also here:

Luke 23:24
So Pilate gave sentence that it should be as they requested.

Pilate's order would have named Him, I would think..?
John 20:27-29
Then [Jesus] said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me?”

Grace911

Nov 11, 2018
JESUS IS GOD. 100%
He is eternal and our creator.
Jesus is beyond our comprehension. From a human understanding we can try to explain what has been revealed in the Holy Bible but we will never fully understand the Godhead.
Focus on the salvation and you will come closer to Understanding Jesus.
Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation {H3444/Yeshua}; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH {H3068/YHWH} is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation . {H3444/Yeshua}

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Sometimes just the hand/hands of God or the arm of the Lord is mentioned... or bosom.

Who led them by the right hand of Moses, with His glorious arm, Dividing the water before
them To make for Himself an everlasting name,
Isa 63:12 which would of course be the Name
above all names, about Whom it is said there is none other by which we may be saved.

l feed His flock like a shepherd, He will gather the lambs in His arm and
carry them in His bosom, and gently lead those who are with young. Isa 40:11

Jesus is the Good Shepherd. Also, Psalm 89:10,13, 20-21… You have scattered Your enemies with Your mighty
arm… I have found My servant, David… My arm shall strengthen him… I will beat down his foes before his face…

Exodus 6:6-8… I am the Lord; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians;
I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and
with great judgments. I will take you as My people and I will be your God. Then you will know
that I am the Lord your God who brings you out from under the burdens of Egypt…

Isaiah 41:10 Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen
you; I will surely help you; I will uphold you with My right hand of righteousness.
behoovingly informative!

SpeakTruth101

Aug 14, 2023
Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation {H3444/Yeshua}; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH {H3068/YHWH} is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation . {H3444/Yeshua}
H3444 יְשׁוּעָה yshuw`ah (yesh-oo'-aw) n-f.
1. something saved.
2. (abstractly) the act or instance of saving or rescuing a soul.
3. (hence) protective aid, victory, prosperity.
4. custodial salvation (that is, in the protective, custodial care of another).
5. (specially) custodial Salvation through the Anointed-One, Yeshua.
[feminine passive participle of H3467]
KJV: deliverance, health, help(-ing), salvation, save, saving (health), welfare.
Root(s): H3467
Compare: H3468
See also: G4992, G4991

יְשׁוּעָה
yeshû‛âh
BDB Definition:
1) salvation, deliverance
1a) welfare, prosperity
1b) deliverance
1c) salvation (by God)
1d) victory
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: passive participle of H3467

Saul-to-Paul

Jun 5, 2017
Based on your knowledge of the bible, what do you know about Jesus before He became a man and was given the name Jesus?

Was He inactive or proactive in revealing the Godhead to God's creation?

Please explain in some detail, not looking for a yes or no response here. The reason for the question is to expand our knowledge and appreciation of the Godhead.
Exodus 33 17-23 KJV
17 And the Lord said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name.
18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory.
19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.
20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
21 And the Lord said, Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
22 And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
23 And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

SpeakTruth101

Aug 14, 2023
'I was just reviewing the Hebrew and I just want to point out H3050

Isaiah 12:2, 2 “See, Ěl is my deliverance (H3444), I trust and am not afraid. For Yah (H3050), יהוה (H3068), is my strength and my song; and He has become my deliverance(H3444).”

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
"I desire mercy and not sacrifice"

No awards for the most theologically correct.

Aug 27, 2023
The commentary here is missing that Christ came from a superior position before he ascended (back again) to the superior position).
I suppose that it is generally assumed that 'being made lower than the angels" means being made a man but, as a recent cc commentator though I can't clearly recall to rightfully cite had observed something like, 'angels are made servants of man' so it would seem to me that 'being made lower than the angels' actually describes a position perhaps only higher than the animals.... just thinking along as I catch up with the comments.
Agreed… But the fact that non