Jesus Came To Fulfill Not To Destroy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

EnglishChick

Apr 20, 2021
England UK
The Law is one big WHOLE. It cannot be broken up into parts and some parts be done away and other parts stay.

Otherwise, whenever the Lord or any of the Prophets talked about a Law, they would have to state which Law they were talking about and which Law they were going to fulfill.

You should have kept going in Hebrews 10, it would have told you this as well.

Hebrews 10:15-22
15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
16 This is the covenant (The New Covenant) that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Is Hebrews 10:16 talking about putting Priest and animal sacrifice Laws into people hearts and minds???? No. Of course not.

The Law is, first and foremost, the 10 commandments. Then it is all the laws that support the 10 commandments. Which includes Levitical Law, animal sacrifice and even feasts.

Otherwise, you have the Lord fulfilling Levitical Law and animal sacrifice but leaving people under the 10 commandments. And you have the Lord mis-speaking in Matthew 5. The Lord should have said, in your philosophy and bad interpretation, "not one jot or one tittle shall fall from the 10 commandments until all is fulfilled".

But the Lord didn't say that. He said not one jot or tittle shall fall from the Law, until all is fulfilled.

So this is a BIG PROBLEM for you. On the one hand, you HAVE to say the Lord DID NOT fuflill the Law He was talking about in Matt 5. And yet you have Him ABSOLUTELY fulfilling the Levitical and animal sacrifice laws.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Was the Law fulfilled? Did the Lord succeed in what He came to do?

Was it just a weird coincidence that the Lord fulfilled ALL the Law, except, in your wrong philosophy, the 10 commandments?

VERY STRANGE if the Lord meant He was only fulfilling Levitical law and animal sacrifice but immediately talked about the commandments. Especially saying not one jot or one tittle shall fall when the entire Levitical and animal sacrifice laws have changed.

Seems pretty dishonest to continue to twist scripture when this is pointed out to you.

I guess when we rule and reign with Jesus He will show us how we keep th law then. As for now so many Christians believe differently on this issue? I do think we are to love God and our fellow humans and to fulfil the great commission. That leaves little time for anything else so personally I don't keep any thing (except the Lords Supper)/because keeping it simple is good for our health mental and physical

Aug 3, 2019
That is your very bad interpretation.
Really? Have you ever bothered to even open up a Peshitta version? Let's hear your REASONS for why Lamsa's rendering is bad, and just because you think it's devastating to your false ideas...I'd like some scholarly reasons.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I guess when we rule and reign with Jesus He will show us how we keep th law then. As for now so many Christians believe differently on this issue? I do think we are to love God and our fellow humans and to fulfil the great commission. That leaves little time for anything else so personally I don't keep any thing (except the Lords Supper)/because keeping it simple is good for our health mental and physical
Show you how TO keep the Law or show how you (don't) keep the Law now?

The Lord shows how to keep the Law. You have a pretty good handle on it in your 2nd sentence.

Keeping it simple is what I do as well. What I try to do...

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Really? Have you ever bothered to even open up a Peshitta version? Let's hear your REASONS for why Lamsa's rendering is bad, and just because you think it's devastating to your false ideas...I'd like some scholarly reasons.
Not sure how many times I've proven your bad philosophy wrong with one simple scripture.

Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Its not my fault that you don't want to understand scripture.

God didn't "keep a saturday sabbath". God ceased from His Work.

Its obvious. You can try to manipulate it into meaning "work at the Law", but its just pure imagination and wishful twisting of scripture.

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
Yet the author says we have ceased fro our work. Yet your demanding he says we continue our work (at the law}
I'm not sure whether you're a believer by Jewish heritage or a believer by Gentile heritage, but regardless when has "obeying the law" ever been "your" work; "my" work; "our" work?

How long have we been "obeying the law" in our lives prior to having faith in Christ dying on the cross? Had we been successfully doing that we wouldn't need Christ (as you said in an earlier post). So, no, obeying the law isn't what Hebrews is referring to when it talks about "our own" work.

Whether Jew or Gentile, our "own" work prior to faith in Christ is:

- sinning & rebelling against God
- stressing & worrying
- laboring for wealth
- planting & building

Meanwhile, God's "work" is to obey His commandments and believe in His Son.

"His rest" is when we rest from OUR OWN work and do the work of God; obeying Him. This is why the conclusion of that chapter says not to fall into the sin of disobedience as the Israelites did (which is unbelief) and miss His promised "rest".

BroTan

Sep 16, 2021
The Law is one big WHOLE. It cannot be broken up into parts and some parts be done away and other parts stay.

Otherwise, whenever the Lord or any of the Prophets talked about a Law, they would have to state which Law they were talking about and which Law they were going to fulfill.

You should have kept going in Hebrews 10, it would have told you this as well.

Hebrews 10:15-22
15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
16 This is the covenant (The New Covenant) that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Is Hebrews 10:16 talking about putting Priest and animal sacrifice Laws into people hearts and minds???? No. Of course not.

The Law is, first and foremost, the 10 commandments. Then it is all the laws that support the 10 commandments. Which includes Levitical Law, animal sacrifice and even feasts.

Otherwise, you have the Lord fulfilling Levitical Law and animal sacrifice but leaving people under the 10 commandments. And you have the Lord mis-speaking in Matthew 5. The Lord should have said, in your philosophy and bad interpretation, "not one jot or one tittle shall fall from the 10 commandments until all is fulfilled".

But the Lord didn't say that. He said not one jot or tittle shall fall from the Law, until all is fulfilled.

So this is a BIG PROBLEM for you. On the one hand, you HAVE to say the Lord DID NOT fuflill the Law He was talking about in Matt 5. And yet you have Him ABSOLUTELY fulfilling the Levitical and animal sacrifice laws.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Was it just a weird coincidence that the Lord fulfilled ALL the Law, except, in your wrong philosophy, the 10 commandments?

VERY STRANGE if the Lord meant He was only fulfilling Levitical law and animal sacrifice but immediately talked about the commandments. Especially saying not one jot or one tittle shall fall when the entire Levitical and animal sacrifice laws have changed.

Seems pretty dishonest to continue to twist scripture when this is pointed out to you.

It's as if you jump right in the middle of a pool and not start at the beginning. Look as if you have not obtain enough knowledge to really understand what's going on. Let's go back and see what Jesus is talking about when says Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. Now let's begin by taking a look at both of the laws and how they worked together. We will see there were two laws given to Moses, they were the commandments and the sacrificial law. Watch how they worked together.

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a soul shall sin through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and shall do against any of them: (Leviticus 4:1-2) The law in the scriptures above is the commandments.

Notice something else very important in these two scriptures. It states, "if a soul shall sin through ignorance." Notice that the scripture did not says on purpose. Why? There is no sacrifice for a sin that is committed willfully. Let's find out what was to be done if a person committed a sin against the Lord unintentionally. Let's skip down to the 27th verse and take a look at the second law (which is the sacrificial law).

And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty; Or if his sin, which he hath sinned, come to his knowledge: then he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for his sin which he hath sinned. And he shall lay his hand upon the head of the sin offering, and slay the sin offering in the place of the burnt offering. And the priest shall take of the blood thereof with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and shall pour out all the blood thereof at the bottom of the altar. (Leviticus 4:27-30)

When the common people sinned through ignorance and it came to their knowledge, what did they have to do? They brought an offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for their sin which they had committed, then the priest would offer the animal to the Lord. Think about this for a moment. If an animal was killed for a person that committed sin, what will happen to us today if we a trespass against the Lord? Now we see how the sacrificial law was used when a person broke a commandment unintentionally.

So let's go into Daniel 9: 26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. 27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week (Wednesday is the middle of the week) he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, (Remember, Jesus is the sacrificial Passover Lamb).

Let’s take a look and see what happen around that time of his death in Matthew 27: 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? 47 Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man calleth for Elias. 48 And straightway one of them ran, and took a sponge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink. 49 The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him. 50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. 51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; The veil of the temple is where the animal sacrificial laws was done at.

So the animal sacrificial law was fulfil by the prophet Daniel. Just in these few verses here, other things was fulfil by the other prophets as well.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
It's as if you jump right in the middle of a pool and not start at the beginning. Look as if you have not obtain enough knowledge to really understand what's going on. Let's go back and see what Jesus is talking about when says Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. Now let's begin by taking a look at both of the laws and how they worked together. We will see there were two laws given to Moses, they were the commandments and the sacrificial law. Watch how they worked together.

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a soul shall sin through ignorance against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and shall do against any of them: (Leviticus 4:1-2) The law in the scriptures above is the commandments.

Notice something else very important in these two scriptures. It states, "if a soul shall sin through ignorance." Notice that the scripture did not says on purpose. Why? There is no sacrifice for a sin that is committed willfully. Let's find out what was to be done if a person committed a sin against the Lord unintentionally. Let's skip down to the 27th verse and take a look at the second law (which is the sacrificial law).

And if any one of the common people sin through ignorance, while he doeth somewhat against any of the commandments of the LORD concerning things which ought not to be done, and be guilty; Or if his sin, which he hath sinned, come to his knowledge: then he shall bring his offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for his sin which he hath sinned. And he shall lay his hand upon the head of the sin offering, and slay the sin offering in the place of the burnt offering. And the priest shall take of the blood thereof with his finger, and put it upon the horns of the altar of burnt offering, and shall pour out all the blood thereof at the bottom of the altar. (Leviticus 4:27-30)

When the common people sinned through ignorance and it came to their knowledge, what did they have to do? They brought an offering, a kid of the goats, a female without blemish, for their sin which they had committed, then the priest would offer the animal to the Lord. Think about this for a moment. If an animal was killed for a person that committed sin, what will happen to us today if we a trespass against the Lord? Now we see how the sacrificial law was used when a person broke a commandment unintentionally.

So let's go into Daniel 9: 26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined. 27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week (Wednesday is the middle of the week) he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, (Remember, Jesus is the sacrificial Passover Lamb).

Let’s take a look and see what happen around that time of his death in Matthew 27: 46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? 47 Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man calleth for Elias. 48 And straightway one of them ran, and took a sponge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink. 49 The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him. 50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. 51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; The veil of the temple is where the animal sacrificial laws was done at.

So the animal sacrificial law was fulfil by the prophet Daniel. Just in these few verses here, other things was fulfil by the other prophets as well.
Poor guy.

Are you just pretending to not understand the questions presented to you?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011

The veil of the temple was the entrance to the Holy of Holies. The place where the High Priest would go to commune with God.

Animal sacrifice was never done in there.

It was showing that the Levitical Priesthood was over. There is now a new High Priest.