Jesus has sinned, and the Holy Spirit and Satan are only symbolic???

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
Perhaps the reality of those stats were being reflected on this thread.

L

LynnJ

Interesting thought BLC

B

Baptistrw

I personally believe that Jesus led a sinless life and that the Holy Spirit and Satan are real and not just symbols for good and evil. But look at these startling statistics compiled by the Barna Group from self-described Christians in America:

22% strongly believe that Jesus sinned during his life on earth

40% strongly agreed that Satan is not real but only a symbol of evil

38% strongly agreed and 20% agreed somewhat that the Holy Spirit is merely “a symbol of God’s power or presence but is not a living entity

19% agreed strongly and 22% agreed somewhat that “the Bible, the Koran and the Book of Mormon are all different expressions of the same spiritual truths"

For more details about these and additional statistics, follow this link:

http://www.barna.org/barna-update/a...ot-believe-that-satan-or-the-holy-spirit-exis

It would appear that American Christians need to spend more time reading the Word of God so that these basic matters of biblical doctrine are correctly settled in our hearts.
Just goes to show how Biblically ignorant people are in this country.

A

Abing

haha now im convinced that we should really have another forum for debaters lol. jk peace!

now back to topic,

God has warned us about this, "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven"
even the Israelites, they have seen God's miracles, they've heard God's voice!!, when they were in the wilderness, how many times did they lose their faith?,
even worse this time, we only have the bible!!
Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed, let's just pray for their souls, God has plans,

Apr 19, 2009
I didn't realize that some Christians here would begin a conversation about whether Jesus led a sinless life. That fact should be settled for the Christian believer. I am surprised at a couple of turns that this thread has taken. I was simply trying to show some interesting stats. :)

Loloy, thanks for your admonishment for us to read the Bible.

And thanks to all of you for taking the time to read my OP and respond.
actually i dont think anyone here stated that Jesus sinned . so this is a misunderstanding do to ignorance .

C

carpetmanswife

:(ouch ! now that hurt.....

Apr 19, 2009
Also, i dont think anyone believes that God (Holy Spirit) is sympbolic , however whether "satan" is symbolic or not is debatable

L

LynnJ

Just thought those stats were interesting enough to share . . .

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
Also, i dont think anyone believes that God (Holy Spirit) is sympbolic , however whether "satan" is symbolic or not is debatable
Why do you think that Satan might be symbolic?

Apr 19, 2009
Why do you think that Satan might be symbolic?
because everything that is attributed to "satan" can easily be attributed to the "flesh" and our own desires . And because this goes in line with the way they are interchangeable , i.e satan tempts us / we are tempted by our own desires etc . Satan is pointless since everythign we do is our decision ultimately .he is virtualy powerless even if he was a living being . Also if satan WAS a literaly being, then he would have to be omnipresent since everyone is "tempted by satan" .

Jan 8, 2009
tempted by satan may mean the flesh or own desires, in that satan tempted adam adn eve and since then, we are all tempted "by satan". But not literally. Yet satan is a real angelic being in control of false angels and demons who he sends out to do his bidding. The bible says satan "walks about"' and he cant do that if satan is just an idea or concept and not a real spiritual being. (1 Pe 5:8)

Apr 19, 2009
tempted by satan may mean the flesh or own desires, in that satan tempted adam adn eve and since then, we are all tempted "by satan". But not literally. Yet satan is a real angelic being in control of false angels and demons who he sends out to do his bidding. The bible says satan "walks about"' and he cant do that if satan is just an idea or concept and not a real spiritual being. (1 Pe 5:8)
he walks about ? OH then he cant be symbolic

Jan 8, 2009
Exactly and the bible refers to satan as a him, i.e. a person. But sometimes it refers to satan as symbolic, i.e. thoughts or words in line with satans actions. When Jesus said to Peter, "get behind me satan", he wasnt saying Peter was satan, or that Peter had satan in him, but that Peter was speaking in line with the thoughts of satan not God.

iwant2serve

Apr 12, 2009
First of all the reason people think Jesus sinned is because we can not live out own lives without sin, as God's word says all have sinned. It is also hard for people to understand that Jesus is the Son of God.Many people go to church on a regular basis and confess to be christians but are not filled with the Holy Spirit. How can you believe in something that you won't allow to be the guide of your life. I will say this and if you don't believe watch and see. There is a great awakening about to happen in the spiritual relm. Just as people flocked to the churches on 9/11, there will be a rush to God. They wiill not be coming to the church but to the Father. God is calling His people to come to Himand this time they will answer His call. There wil be an out pouring of the Holy Spirit that will show many people of this day that God is real and Jesus is who the Bible says He is. As for satan, He is our greatest trainer for God. If it was not for satan we would not have the FAITH that we have or the elevation we need.God allows satan to attack us for our upbuilding. Just as an arny goes to basic training to learn how to fight and survive. God allows satan to train us in how to depend on HIm and survive.

Jan 26, 2009
it don matter wat the world says abt Jesus its wat word says abt him
if jesus sinned we are still in sin and guess wat he died in vain
its not how many %says wat
its abt how many encountered him

S

Slepsog4

Such statistics could simply tell us how many tares have been sown among the wheat. God will sort them out in the end.

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
because everything that is attributed to "satan" can easily be attributed to the "flesh" and our own desires . And because this goes in line with the way they are interchangeable , i.e satan tempts us / we are tempted by our own desires etc . Satan is pointless since everythign we do is our decision ultimately .he is virtualy powerless even if he was a living being . Also if satan WAS a literaly being, then he would have to be omnipresent since everyone is "tempted by satan" .
Here is a link that you can locate all those scriptures concerning Satan, the devil and Lucifer. Just type each name one at a time. After you read these scriptures, answer the question whether he is a literal being or symbolic. Then consider the possibility that the devil utilizes the flesh of men to deceive man, to lie to man, to indoctrinate man and to be the god of man in a world that is immersed in his wickedness and iniquity as the god of this world and the prince and power of the air. If you study these things intelligently with a pure heart and with objectivity, the Holy Spirit can guide you into the truth and give you good understanding.

Feb 27, 2007
actually i dont think anyone here stated that Jesus sinned . so this is a misunderstanding do to ignorance .
I suppose i'd be ignorant along with the others cause thats exactly what I thought you meant... in fact... thats what you wrote!! Im thinkin you have alot of Biblical knowledge, perhaps you need to pray for proper discernment before reading. Or... perhaps you just get on here to stir the room, i dunno. Only you know, but definitely pray for discernment daily cause you've posted some pretty far out things on these forums. God Bless you as you seek the TRUTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.