Job and its relevance to our struggles

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 28, 2016
we have much in common '7', and I believe the commonness is our Love for our Saviour...

7seasrekeyed

I don't believe that negates plain and truthful answers

FlSnookman7

Jun 27, 2015
ummm...not trying to be contradictory here, but while Job did not have the indwelling Holy Spirit as believers do today, he did have an audience with God speaking to him that we are not privy to (even though some will go out on the limb and say they do which I personally do not believe with possibly some very very rare exceptions)

we are led by the Holy Spirit in various ways, but hearing what appears to be the audible voice of God in conversation with Job is what we do not have.
Wanted to agree with you then pose a witty reply but I am on the next to last day of my 4th 94 hr week in a row and i'm just not very witty at the moment. I am grateful for the work but I do get a bit tired sometimes. Also my OT knowledge is lacking. o_O:):coffee:

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
Jesus said that he would send the Holy Spirit in John 15:26, "When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me."

So if the Holy Spirit and Jesus were the same, it would not be possible for Jesus to say he would be sending the Holy Spirit.

that's my point.
I'm confused as to what you two are discussing...I'm aware that the Trinity is just as difficult to try to grasp for everyone else as it is for me. But her point that Job had Gods' Spirit is not disproven just because the Spirit wouldn't be sent to the believers in the NT until after Jesus was no longer living on earth...is it?

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
ummm...not trying to be contradictory here, but while Job did not have the indwelling Holy Spirit as believers do today,

By indwelling of the Holy Spirit, do you mean that Spirit of the God that made him, and whose inspiration gives him the understanding of God?

However that is exactly what Elihu claimed as he stood up and began rebuking Job after Job's three friends had ceased to answer Job. (See Job 32:1) When Elihu saw that there was no answer in the mouth of these three men, then his wrath was kindled. Job 32:5

he did have an audience with God speaking to him that we are not privy to (even though some will go out on the limb and say they do which I personally do not believe with possibly some very very rare exceptions)
Nothing in the book of Job suggests that the LORD had spoken to Job at any time before he appeared in the whirlwind and asked who was Elihu that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge? And the LORD concluded his answer to Job in verse 40:2, 'Shall he that contendeth with the Almighty instruct him? he that reproveth God, let him answer it.'

In fact, before the words of Job were ended, it is written that Job said the following, 'Oh that one would hear me! behold, my desire is, that the Almighty would answer me, and that mine adversary had written a book. (See Job 31:35)

we are led by the Holy Spirit in various ways, but hearing what appears to be the audible voice of God in conversation with Job is what we do not have.
So if Elihu wasn't one of the three that had made an appointment to mourn with Job as written in Job 2:11

Now when Job's three friends heard of all this evil that was come upon him, they came every one from his own place; Eliphaz the Temanite, and Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar the Naamathite: for they had made an appointment together to come to mourn with him and to comfort him.

Then what happened Satan who appeared with the other sons of God when they presented themselves before the LORD as written in Job 2:1 ?

Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.

7seasrekeyed

dude...you are making things up

one example: I simply stated God appears to have had a conversation with Job that most cannot claim today...if any (although to be sure plenty of fake prophets seem to talk to God all day long to the extent you wonder how He has time for the rest of us...but I digress)...you come along and try to make it seem I said God spoke to Job at a specific time and you are all about correcting my error..that I NEVER made, by stating :

Nothing in the book of Job suggests that the LORD had spoken to Job at any time before he appeared in the whirlwind
I said nothing even close to what you are going on about so I won't bother to answer anything else and that most likely includes whatever else your imagination can dream up I am supposed to have said

I guess you had a slow day :rolleyes:

7seasrekeyed

Wanted to agree with you then pose a witty reply but I am on the next to last day of my 4th 94 hr week in a row and i'm just not very witty at the moment. I am grateful for the work but I do get a bit tired sometimes. Also my OT knowledge is lacking. o_O:):coffee:
ouch re the heavy duty work week! how do you do it? :oops:

about the OT...it's pure gold and really helps so much with understanding the NT. I highly recommend becoming familiar with it :)

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
dude...you are making things up

..but I digress)...you come along and try to make it seem I said God spoke to Job at a specific time and you are all about correcting my error..that I NEVER made, by stating :
According to the scriptures the LORD did speak to Job at a specific time, I was merely affirming your comment that nothing in scriptures suggest that the LORD had spoken to him in an audible voice before that time. So if you concur with the scriptures then how do you perceive that to be an error on your part.

I said nothing even close to what you are going on about so I won't bother to answer anything else and that most likely includes whatever else your imagination can dream up I am supposed to have said

I guess you had a slow day :rolleyes:
I guess by bothering not to answer anything else you mean the question, "By indwelling of the Holy Spirit, do you mean that Spirit of the God that made him, and whose inspiration gives him the understanding of God? "