Job chapter 6
[1] But Job answered and said,
[2] Oh that my grief were throughly weighed, and my calamity laid in the balances
together!
[3] For now it would be heavier than the sand of the sea: therefore my words are swallowed up.
[4] For the arrows of the Almighty are within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me.
[5] Doth the wild ass bray when he hath grass? or loweth the ox over his fodder?
[6] Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the white of an egg?
[7] The things that my soul refused to touch are as my sorrowful meat.
[8] Oh that I might have my request; and that God would grant me the thing that I long for!
[9] Even that it would please God to destroy me; that he would let loose his hand, and cut me off!
[10] Then should I yet have comfort; yea, I would harden myself in sorrow: let him not spare; for I have not concealed the words of the Holy One.
[11] What is my strength, that I should hope? and what is mine end, that I should prolong my life?
[12] Is my strength the strength of stones? or is my flesh of brass?
[13] Is not my help in me? and is wisdom driven quite from me?
[14] To him that is afflicted pity should be shewed from his friend; but he forsaketh the fear of the Almighty.
[15] My brethren have dealt deceitfully as a brook, and as the stream of brooks they pass away;
[16] Which are blackish by reason of the ice, and wherein the snow is hid:
[17] What time they wax warm, they vanish: when it is hot, they are consumed out of their place.
[18] The paths of their way are turned aside; they go to nothing, and perish.
[19] The troops of Tema looked, the companies of Sheba waited for them.
[20] They were confounded because they had hoped; they came thither, and were ashamed.
[21] For now ye are nothing; ye see my casting down, and are afraid.
[22] Did I say, Bring unto me? or, Give a reward
for me of your substance?
[23] Or, Deliver me from the enemy's hand? or, Redeem me from the hand of the mighty?
[24] Teach me, and I will hold my tongue: and cause me to understand wherein I have erred.
[25] How forcible are right words! but what doth your arguing reprove?
[26] Do ye imagine to reprove words, and the speeches of one that is desperate, which are as wind?
[27] Yea, ye overwhelm the fatherless, and ye dig a pit for your friend.
[28] Now therefore be content, look upon me; for it is evident unto you if I lie.
[29] Return, I pray you, let it not be iniquity; yea, return again, my righteousness is in it.
[30] Is there iniquity in my tongue? cannot my taste discern perverse things?
Job chapter 7
[1] Is there not an appointed time to man upon earth? are not his days also like the days of an hireling?
[2] As a servant earnestly desireth the shadow, and as an hireling looketh for the reward
of his work:
[3] So am I made to possess months of vanity, and wearisome nights are appointed to me.
[4] When I lie down, I say, When shall I arise, and the night be gone? and I am full of tossings to and fro unto the dawning of the day.
[5] My flesh is clothed with worms and clods of dust; my skin is broken, and become loathsome.
[6] My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle, and are spent without hope.
[7] O remember that my life is wind: mine eye shall no more see good.
[8] The eye of him that hath seen me shall see me no more: thine eyes are upon me, and I am not.
[9] As the cloud is consumed and vanisheth away: so he that goeth down to the grave shall come up no more.
[10] He shall return no more to his house, neither shall his place know him any more.
[11] Therefore I will not refrain my mouth; I will speak in the anguish of my spirit; I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.
[12] Am I a sea, or a whale, that thou settest a watch over me?
[13] When I say, My bed shall comfort me, my couch shall ease my complaint;
[14] Then thou scarest me with dreams, and terrifiest me through visions:
[15] So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life.
[16] I loathe it; I would not live alway: let me alone; for my days are vanity.
[17] What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
[18] And that thou shouldest visit him every morning, and try him every moment?
[19] How long wilt thou not depart from me, nor let me alone till I swallow down my spittle?
[20] I have sinned; what shall I do unto thee, O thou preserver of men? why hast thou set me as a mark against thee, so that I am a burden to myself?
[21] And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away mine iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.
Some of
Job
's self-justifications:
"for I have not concealed the words of the Holy One" (Job 6:10)
"Is not my help in me? and is wisdom driven quite from me?" (Job 6:13)
"Teach me, and I will hold my tongue: and cause me to understand wherein I have erred." (Job 6:24)
"my righteousness is in it. Is there iniquity in my tongue? cannot my taste discern perverse things?" (Job 6:29-30)
Throughout
Job
's ordeal, even though he'll make "token" mention of his transgression or sin, Job maintains that he is righteous and that what is befalling him is unjust. Yes, he not only maintains that his whole ordeal is unjust, but he REPEATEDLY ACCUSES GOD OF INJUSTICE. Here are a few examples of the same:
"For the arrows of the Almighty are within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me." (Job 6:4)
Tell me/us, SaintJoeNow, is it right to accuse God of shooting poisonous arrows into us to drink up our spirits and to terrify us because He's set Himself in array or set Himself in battle against us?
Is this your idea of Job somehow "blessing God" or does this sound more like "cursing God" to you?
Job chapter 6
[8] Oh that I might have my request; and that God would grant me the thing that I long for!
[9] Even that it would please God to destroy me; that he would let loose his hand, and cut me off!
[10] Then should I yet have comfort; yea, I would harden myself in sorrow: let him not spare; for I have not concealed the words of the Holy One.
[11] What is my strength, that I should hope? and what is mine end, that I should prolong my life?
Tell me/us, SaintJoeNow, when Job said that he was requesting that God would destroy him, cut him off and not spare and when Job complained that his life was hopeless and that he didn't want to prolong his life, was he somehow "blessing God" or does this sound more like that Job was hearkening unto the advice of his wife who told him to "curse God and die" to you?
"ye see my casting down" (Job 6:21)
"Or, Deliver me from the enemy's hand? or, Redeem me from the hand of the mighty?" (Job 6:23)
Tell me/us, SaintJoeNow, when Job said that God his ENEMY had cast him down, was Job somehow "blessing God" or was he CURSING OR CONDEMNING HIM instead?
"So am I made to possess months of vanity, and wearisome nights are appointed to me." (Job 7:3)
"My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle, and are spent without hope." (Job 7:6)
Tell me/us, SaintJoeNow, when Job accused God of appointing months of vanity and wearisome nights unto him as well as days without hope, was he somehow "blessing God" or was he instead CURSING OR CONDEMNING GOD?
You'd do yourself a great favor to pay extra close attention to what follows:
Job chapter 7
[12] Am I a sea, or a whale, that thou settest a watch over me?
[13] When I say, My bed shall comfort me, my couch shall ease my complaint;
[14] Then thou scarest me with dreams, and terrifiest me through visions:
[15] So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life.
[16] I loathe it; I would not live alway: let me alone; for my days are vanity.
[17] What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him?
[18] And that thou shouldest visit him every morning, and try him every moment?
[19] How long wilt thou not depart from me, nor let me alone till I swallow down my spittle?
[20] I have sinned; what shall I do unto thee, O thou preserver of men? why hast thou set me as a mark against thee, so that I am a burden to myself?
[21] And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away mine iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be.
Tell me/us, SaintJoeNow, when Job told God to depart from him and to leave him alone and to stop watching over him like a "whale watcher", was he somehow "blessing God" or was he rather CURSING OR CONDEMNING HIM?
Listen, friend...
JOB FLAT OUT ADMITTED THAT EVEN WHEN HE WAS SLEEPING THAT GOD SCARED HIM WITH DREAMS AND TERRIFIED HIM WITH VISIONS (vss. 13-14) AND THIS BRINGS US RIGHT BACK TO THE WORDS OF ELIHU WHO SAID:
Job chapter 33
[14] For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not.
[15] In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed;
[16] Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,
[17] That he may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man.
[18] He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword.
[19] He is chastened also with pain upon his bed, and the multitude of his bones with strong pain:
[20] So that his life abhorreth bread, and his soul dainty meat.
[21] His flesh is consumed away, that it cannot be seen; and his bones that were not seen stick out.
[22] Yea, his soul draweth near unto the grave, and his life to the destroyers.
[23] If there be a messenger with him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to shew unto man his uprightness:
[24] Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom.
[25] His flesh shall be fresher than a child's: he shall return to the days of his youth:
[26] He shall pray unto God, and he will be favourable unto him: and he shall see his face with joy: for he will render unto man his righteousness.
[27] He looketh upon men, and if any say, I have sinned, and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not;
[28] He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light.
[29] Lo, all these things worketh God oftentimes with man,
When, ACCORDING TO JOB'S OWN TESTIMONY, God was trying to reach him through dreams and visions of the night, what was Job's response to the same? Did Job repent and allow God to HIDE PRIDE FROM HIM? Of course, Job did not, but instead he "ADDED REBELLION unto his sin" by telling God that he LOATHED (Job 7:16) such reproof and that HIS SOUL CHOSE STRANGLING AND DEATH as opposed to a life of such correction from God (Job 7:15). Oh, Job gave one of his "token" mentions of his sin in Job 7:20-21, but his later comments throughout the book clearly indicate that he found no actual sin in himself and he also flat out told God here that He wouldn't pardon his transgression anyway. Again, tell me/us, SaintJoeNow, does any of this sound the least bit like Job somehow "blessing God" or does it sound like Job was CURSING OR CONDEMNING GOD instead?
You need to reread the book, friend, as Job's REPEATED CONDEMNATIONS OF GOD ONLY GET WORSE AS THE ACCOUNT PROGRESSES.
Well, I'm struggling greatly with this computer which keeps erasing my work and bouncing me off of this page, so this might very well be my last post here until I can get my own
laptop fixed
. Again, you'd be well advised to reread the book, friend, as would several others here who have posted on this thread.