John 3:16

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

noblenut

Nov 29, 2017
people, there's your opinions and there's the truth, and only by putting aside your opinions will u ever learn the truth

louis

Nov 1, 2017
I saw this film yesterday called "The kite runner".
What impressed me the most in this film was how this one Afghan who did not flee the Russian occupation, stayed behind and sold all his belongings in order to take care of all the orphans. If this really happened, I would say that man, though a Muslim, in fact believes in Christ. He would be like the Samaritan in Luke 10 who in his heart believed in helping the victim, while the priest and the Rabbi did not believe in mercy.

noblenut

Nov 29, 2017
I saw this film yesterday called "The kite runner".
What impressed me the most in this film was how this one Afghan who did not flee the Russian occupation, stayed behind and sold all his belongings in order to take care of all the orphans. If this really happened, I would say that man, though a Muslim, in fact believes in Christ. He would be like the Samaritan in Luke 10 who in his heart believed in helping the victim, while the priest and the Rabbi did not believe in mercy.
yes exactly, paul talks about it in romans, those not having the law, i once saw a hindu devoting himself to the poor which is not part of their culture

Dec 9, 2011
Many profess that one need only believe in Jesus to receive everlasting life and quote the following scripture as evidence: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16

The following scriptures prove that there is more to believing than a mental acknowledgment of Jesus as the Messiah:

“Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.” Matt 7:21

“For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.” Matt 12:50
No one can come to JESUS not repenting In truth from the heart.
John 6:42-45
King James Version

42 And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?

43 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves.

44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
+++
Man looks at the outward appearances like In verse 42 they were saying JESUS Is a man like any other man how Is It he Is saying HE came from heaven.

Dec 9, 2011
Once we repent In truth then GOD makes our spirit perfect,we are HIS workmanship created In CHRIST unto good works and every man that has the hope of eternal life purifies himself even as he Is pure.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
in all three of these cases people were saved from water, not saved by water.
I know this response is lengthy but I hope you will take the time to read it. I think it is a better explanation of what I am trying to convey.

In the Old Testament foreshadows of water baptism the individuals did not immerse in water; however, the effects of the N.T. baptism can be seen in the events depicted. Water is seen as the vehicle, God designed, both for washing away sin and through which comes life. (Mark 1:4, Luke 1:77, 3:3, 24:47, Acts 2:38, 10:43, 22:16)

1 Peter 3:18-22 “…in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. There is also an antitype which now saves us--baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

The preceding verse states that Noah’s family was saved through water. It goes on to say that the flood antitype, baptism, now saves us.

What is an antitype? ANTITYPE : That which is represented or prefigured by a type. The type may be considered a rough draft, while the antitype is the perfect image. The type is a figure, and antitype is the reality that the type prefigured, as Christ is the antitype of the Paschal Lamb. (The New Unger's Bible Dictionary.)

Noah believed and acted upon his belief by building an ark to the saving of his house. They were preserved and saved through water. During this event, water was the vehicle by which the Earth was cleansed of all sin.

Baby Moses was placed in an ark and floated to safety. (Exodus 2:3)

Moses parted the Red Sea and the children of Israel escaped by going through water. (1 Corinthians 10:1-4) Their sinful enemies were washed away in water.

Upon consecration into the priesthood; the candidate was to be washed head to toe with the water from the tabernacle laver. (Leviticus 8:5-6) This requirement parallels with New Testament water baptism wherein our sins are literally washed away. (1 Peter 2:5-9)

Prior to Elijah be taken up in a whirlwind, he smote the Jordan with his mantle and the waters parted. After going through the parted water Elijah was taken to Heaven. (2 Kings 2)

Joshua and the Israelites walked through the parted waters of the Jordan into the promised land. (Joshua 3) A man from every tribe (12) left a stone of remembrance for all future generations of how God brought them through the water into the promised land. Interestingly, twelve apostles were commanded to preach water baptism in the New Testament. After passing through the Jordan, the Israelites were commanded to be circumcised at the hill of Gilgal. This also points to a connection between circumcision of the Old Testament and N.T. water baptism. (Col 2:11-12)

Feb 6, 2019
Baptism is a way of identifying with the death and resurrection of Jesus, we descend in the water to death and rise a new life in Jesus Amen!

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Live like the devil, then get baptized last second and you're in!
I am not saying that at all. I am only pointing out that once a person hears the gospel they should obey the instructions to repent, and submit to water and Holy Ghost baptisms. God placed this information in His inspired Word for a reason. God's ways are not our ways.

When something is so obviously in the Word why not just step out and do it.

Our job is to share what we see in the Word. And when this is done with an honest intention to help others it is pretty sad to be mocked in return.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
Scripture states that in the gospel is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made,"... Rom 1:16-20

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
not one single person here has stated they are against baptism. not one single person

if you think so, quote their post and we'll check it out

it does not matter what you 'suspect' no one has said they do not believe in the resurrection either

I was baptized when I was 13...and I know others here have been also.

perhaps you should reread what people have written because your understanding of the posts is not what is being said
Ok so why am I getting a hostile vibe from a few posters whenever water baptism is mentioned...quite a few have said water baptism isnt necessary part of salvation...that its not needed, is just a ritual, or only a symbol.

I dont really want to go through each post and single them all out and go hey YOUR WRONG.

If so Jesus cousin John was doing something useless and should have stayed home.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Prior to Elijah be taken up in a whirlwind, he smote the Jordan with his mantle and the waters parted. After going through the parted water Elijah was taken to Heaven. (2 Kings 2)
no, Elisha parted the water after Elijah was taken up.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I know this response is lengthy but I hope you will take the time to read it. I think it is a better explanation of what I am trying to convey.

In the Old Testament foreshadows of water baptism the individuals did not immerse in water; however, the effects of the N.T. baptism can be seen in the events depicted. Water is seen as the vehicle, God designed, both for washing away sin and through which comes life. (Mark 1:4, Luke 1:77, 3:3, 24:47, Acts 2:38, 10:43, 22:16)

1 Peter 3:18-22 “…in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water. There is also an antitype which now saves us--baptism (not the removal of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ

The preceding verse states that Noah’s family was saved through water. It goes on to say that the flood antitype, baptism, now saves us.

What is an antitype? ANTITYPE : That which is represented or prefigured by a type. The type may be considered a rough draft, while the antitype is the perfect image. The type is a figure, and antitype is the reality that the type prefigured, as Christ is the antitype of the Paschal Lamb. (The New Unger's Bible Dictionary.)

Noah believed and acted upon his belief by building an ark to the saving of his house. They were preserved and saved through water. During this event, water was the vehicle by which the Earth was cleansed of all sin.

Baby Moses was placed in an ark and floated to safety. (Exodus 2:3)

Moses parted the Red Sea and the children of Israel escaped by going through water. (1 Corinthians 10:1-4) Their sinful enemies were washed away in water.

Upon consecration into the priesthood; the candidate was to be washed head to toe with the water from the tabernacle laver. (Leviticus 8:5-6) This requirement parallels with New Testament water baptism wherein our sins are literally washed away. (1 Peter 2:5-9)

Joshua and the Israelites walked through the parted waters of the Jordan into the promised land. (Joshua 3) A man from every tribe (12) left a stone of remembrance for all future generations of how God brought them through the water into the promised land. Interestingly, twelve apostles were commanded to preach water baptism in the New Testament. After passing through the Jordan, the Israelites were commanded to be circumcised at the hill of Gilgal. This also points to a connection between circumcision of the Old Testament and N.T. water baptism. (Col 2:11-12)
setting aside your error about Elijah/Elisha, still in all these cases the people were kept from being touched by the water. in the case of the flood and the sea of reeds, the water was the instrument of judgement from which the ones under God's mercy were preserved.

when we enter into Him we are similarly saved from judgement - being baptized into His death. water isn't what saves us, it is what we are spared from in Him ((with regard to H2O)). but understanding water as a typology of the Word, it is through drinking this in, believing, that we are saved and made clean - as He told His disciples, of whom there is no record in scripture of them being immersed in H2O, already you are clean by the word I have spoken unto you. the exception is Paul, who did not walk with Him while He ministered on earth in the flesh.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I am not saying that at all. I am only pointing out that once a person hears the gospel they should obey the instructions to repent, and submit to water and Holy Ghost baptisms. God placed this information in His inspired Word for a reason. God's ways are not our ways.

When something is so obviously in the Word why not just step out and do it.

Our job is to share what we see in the Word. And when this is done with an honest intention to help others it is pretty sad to be mocked in return.
but is anyone saying don't be baptized?

nope.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Interestingly, twelve apostles were commanded to preach water baptism in the New Testament.
they were sent to preach the gospel, not to preach water baptism. to preach the crucified and risen Son of God and to immerse believers into His name. to preach a righteousness and salvation by faith, not by ritual sacrement.

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
no, Elisha parted the water after Elijah was taken up.
Elisha did part the water after Elijah was taken up as well.

"And Elijah took his mantle, and wrapped it together, and smote the waters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground.

And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.

And he said, Thou hast asked a hard thing: nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so.

And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." 2 Kings 2:8-11

Wansvic

Nov 27, 2018
they were sent to preach the gospel, not to preach water baptism. to preach the crucified and risen Son of God and to immerse believers into His name. to preach a righteousness and salvation by faith, not by ritual sacrement.
Jesus does say to teach people to observe whatsoever He has commanded of the apostles/disciples.
Matt 28:19-20
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

7seasrekeyed

Ok so why am I getting a hostile vibe from a few posters whenever water baptism is mentioned...quite a few have said water baptism isnt necessary part of salvation...that its not needed, is just a ritual, or only a symbol.

I dont really want to go through each post and single them all out and go hey YOUR WRONG.

If so Jesus cousin John was doing something useless and should have stayed home.

I have no clue why you are getting a hostile vibe. I don't read minds

what people are saying is baptism comes AFTER salvation and is not a part of salvation

since you didn't actually read the posts, perhaps you got your hostile vibe from something and then decided it was everyone

perhaps you agree with the op...I don't know

but baptism is something we obey in, but it is not necessary to be saved

Dec 9, 2011

Could It mean an outward demonstration of an Inward TRUE repentance.Only GOD will know the person’s motive but man will see In action so to speak a declaration to the world,I’m changed.