Jonah Died and went to Hell

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

watcher2013

Aug 6, 2013
He also thinks hell is at the bottom of the sea, and that mountains have roots, and that there are bars like a prison in hell, and that you can call to God after you have died and repent and be saved.
I mean..in a discussion like this no one accept defeat...but this large evidence...there should be acceptance...
What is the big danger of believing jonah was resurrected?

There will be two Holy One of israel... Jonah and Jesus

Salvation in peril...

L

Locoponydirtman

I mean..in a discussion like this no one accept defeat...but this large evidence...there should be acceptance...
What is the big danger of believing jonah was resurrected?

There will be two Holy One of israel... Jonah and Jesus

Salvation in peril...
On top of that, but people can be saved after they have already died and going to hell.

Why bother preaching? The best thing that would ever cause anybody to repent would be a couple of days in hell. That's a guaranteed repentance.

Then that creates a doctrine of hyper Grace or universal salvation

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Either forever is literal or figurative.
If it's literal he never got out and is still there today. If he were speaking figuratively although it in his perspective seemed forever he got out.
It very likely he got out, scripture says so and subsequently preached to those folks in Nineveh.
It was going to be forever, but God had mercy on him and brought his life up from corruption. Salvation is of the Lord! Do you understand Jonah's prayer is one of praise and thanksgiving? What was going to be forever, God spared him.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
So Jonah soul is in Sheol? It was for a period of time.
Is this hell? No, Hell is the lake of fire, conclusively proved by @Nehemiah6 here. Thanks Nehemiah (y)
Is this not the same place the rich man was? Sheol/Hades is where the rich man was.

Your doctrine is a bit confused... No it isn't. Stick with it.
Did Jesus preach to the spirits in prison? Yes
Did the bible speak this prison is in Sheol? Yes. There was a separate location here called Paradise (Abraham's Bosom) but this is no longer the case since the resurrection of Jesus.
Who are in this prison? Fallen angels, Nephilim, as well as the souls of unrighteous men and women.
1Pe 3:19-20 KJV
19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Disobedient during noahs days...Yup. Even before that. It would have been populated when the rebellion happened in heaven and one third of the angels were cast down. Sheol was created for the devil and his angels. Some are currently in chains there, whereas others are free to roam about the earth, as agents for temptation of mankind (just as Eve was allowed to be tempted, so mankind is allowed to be tempted).

2Pe 2:4-5 KJV 4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; See previous paragraph
Answers in Red

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Hell from the rich man...hot...no water
Hell from Jonah....loads of water...

You willing to accept this?....

If u mix them up your hell is like a fish stew
Yes, hell is described throughout the Psalms as overflowing floods and waves and suffering.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
He also thinks hell is at the bottom of the sea, and that mountains have roots, and that there are bars like a prison in hell, and that you can call to God after you have died and repent and be saved.
Bottom of the seas? No, bottoms of the mountains...what's at the bottom of the mountains? The heart of the earth, hell.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
that you can call to God after you have died and repent and be saved.
Nonsense! Jonah is the exception and only proves the rule. This is exactly why the Lord can use him as a type of what he was going to do, that is die physically, his body placed in a tomb, and his soul going to hell to preach victory over sin and death, and deliver those in captivity (Abraham's bosom).

7seasrekeyed

But @Whispered says the Jews don't believe Hell exists. You see statements like that, with no fundamental support, are reckless. The link I gave above gives more than enough OT support for this place existing. Maybe the Jews that @Whispered was speaking to didn't read their Tanakh.
what is actually more than enough?

is that when someone thinks they have found a persuasive article that clearly indicates to them that they are right?

actually, no, the Jews do not believe in hell the way you seem to be representing it in this thread...in fact some do not even believe in an afterlife. period...while some believe in reincarnation

google it. nothing is written in stone. save perhaps the 10 commandments ;)

L

Locoponydirtman

Nonsense! Jonah is the exception and only proves the rule. This is exactly why the Lord can use him as a type of what he was going to do, that is die physically, his body placed in a tomb, and his soul going to hell to preach victory over sin and death, and deliver those in captivity (Abraham's bosom).
Nonsense, there is no exception other than the Messiah.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
actually, no, the Jews do not believe in hell the way you seem to be representing it in this thread...in fact some do not even believe in an afterlife. period...while some believe in reincarnation
The Jews didn't believe in Jesus as well. Does that mean Jesus isn't real? It makes no difference what the Jews believe or didn't believe. What saith the Scriptures is what counts.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I guess Veggie Tales is the standard of truth around here, instead of the clear reading of the word. Ugh....

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
Isaiah 5
14 Therefore Sheol has enlarged itself
And opened its mouth beyond measure;
Their glory and their multitude and their pomp,
And he who is jubilant, shall descend into it.
15 People shall be brought down,
Each man shall be humbled,
And the eyes of the lofty shall be humbled.
16 But the Lord of hosts shall be exalted in judgment,
And God who is holy shall be hallowed in righteousness.

But @Whispered says the Jews don't believe Hell exists. You see statements like that, with no fundamental support, are reckless. The link I gave above gives more than enough OT support for this place existing. Maybe the Jews that @Whispered was speaking to didn't read their Tanakh.
Whispered is correct. jews dont even believe in hell today the way christians do it. many of them dont even think much about afterlife or talk about it. its all about obeying now for blessings now. thats what most of the o.t. is too, no one cares about afterlife and even resurrection is just mentioned like once or twice in the o.t. and never is anyone threatened with a punishment after death its always worldly punishments. no unbeliever is ever warned about hell in the o.t. either, no prophets sent to edomites to warn them about hell

the only place in the o.t. that actually talks about hell is daniel 12:2

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Whispered is correct. jews dont even believe in hell today the way christians do it. many of them dont even think much about afterlife or talk about it. its all about obeying now for blessings now. thats what most of the o.t. is too, no one cares about afterlife and even resurrection is just mentioned like once or twice in the o.t. and never is anyone threatened with a punishment after death its always worldly punishments. no unbeliever is ever warned about hell in the o.t. either, no prophets sent to edomites to warn them about hell

the only place in the o.t. that actually talks about hell is daniel 12:2
And all through the Psalms...

But what the Jews think really doesn't matter when it comes to Scripture.

7seasrekeyed

At the inception of this thread it became personal as to the motive that compelled its author. To post and then mock, ridicule, resort to circular unreasoning, and obstinance, while pursuing the same uninformed line of thought. To what end only the author knows.
just a personal observation here

it seems to me that many start threads to support what they already believe, rather than the thought of asking questions with the view to considering the answer

I've certainly done it, but I really do not start threads anymore...rather than the one about what the blood of Christ has secured for us, which went bust due to an individual who used it as a vehicle for his own persuasions

ah yes. nothing like the BDF :cautious:

alas, I seem to enjoy a little conflict...keeps the old noodle working

7seasrekeyed

There are hundreds of accounts and testimonies of people who have died on the operating table or in car accidents and have witnessed the other side and have come into contact with the Lord. Some saw heaven. Some saw hell. They testified as to what they saw. They were in communication with the Lord in many of these instances. These people, dead in every respect to those doctors working on them, returning with life to their bodies...a miracle for all to see.

So yes. Not only plausible as per these stories, but actual in the case of Jonah.

IMO, that neither proves or disproves a thing

if we have to collect so called 'proof' from individuals who relate a subjective experience at best, I suggest we may be all lost anyway

that may take some considerable reflection to understand

HINT:the words of Jesus concerning such things

HINT II: those words are in the NT

Melach

Mar 28, 2019
There are hundreds of accounts and testimonies of people who have died on the operating table or in car accidents and have witnessed the other side and have come into contact with the Lord. Some saw heaven. Some saw hell. They testified as to what they saw. They were in communication with the Lord in many of these instances. These people, dead in every respect to those doctors working on them, returning with life to their bodies...a miracle for all to see.

So yes. Not only plausible as per these stories, but actual in the case of Jonah.
everyone who says they died and went to hell are lying. the bible teaches you cant leave once you are in hell. check rich man and lazarus

7seasrekeyed

well actually that depends on which side of this life/death, literal/poetic, skirmish one resides on

if you wish to compare in this manner, maybe strike up a conversation with Lazurus instead

he actually was dead and resurrected by Jesus

there is truly nothing to indicate in scripture that Jonah expired while in the big fish

I mean I just read that some think it was a Great White....

I had a strong reaction to identify with the word 'nope' right at that moment

watcher2013

Aug 6, 2013
1. Hell is not lake of fire.
Rev 20:14 KJV And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

2. Peter did not mention spirits after noah.

3. Peter is very specific...angels that sinned...not man.
4. Hell is not sheol
Luk 16:23 KJV And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
Jon 2:2 KJV And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice.

Both are talking of hell...place of torment...

5. Sheol is not cast in the lake of fire...
Why?
You are not thinking of korea....

Your doctrine is a mess..still want to stick with it....there's nothing to lose if you change but a lot to gain.