Joshua's curse about rebuilding Jericho

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 26, 2021
495
151
43
This is a perplexing curse. I believe the Spirit moved Joshua to curse not only this place, but the one that builds it as well as the congregation that frequents it.

So, I'm very interested in your interpretations of this curse. I've laid out my speculation below.

Joshua 6:26 And Joshua adjured them at that time, saying, Cursed be the man before the LORD, that riseth up and buildeth this city Jericho: he shall lay the foundation thereof in his firstborn, and in his youngest son shall he set up the gates of it.

and

1 Kings 16:34 In his days did Hiel the Bethelite build Jericho: he laid the foundation thereof in Abiram his firstborn, and set up the gates thereof in his youngest son Segub, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Joshua the son of Nun.

When I start any great mystery, I go to Strong's and start looking at terms.

Hiel = "God lives"
Bethelite = "house of God"
an inhabitant of Bethel
Jericho = "its moon"
Abiram = "my father is exalted" or "(the) Exalted One is (my) father"
Segub = "exalted"

A lot of righteous sounding players here. So, why is it cursed? I've heard a "sermon" (if you could call it that) on you tube that discussed the sons being killed in the process of building. I guess that is the meaning of the foundation being laid in Abiram and the gate in his son Segub. I don't know, that's just what the priest (Catholic) said.

Here is my speculative interpretation of the meaning of this curse. (And it's wild speculation for now.)

So beginning at the terms, a picture emerges of a father building a church with his family. At great cost. Hence it being a curse, I suppose.

1. Hiel, the father, is that devil ever building his throne to surpass God's in heaven.
2. Bethelite referring to one from a house of God, making me see the moon city (Jericho) being rebuilt as a church.
2. The sons, turning out to be the congregants that worship the devil being cursed, devastated and destroyed in the process.
3. This city, Jericho, being a moon city is a city of lesser light.

Now, a curious references that may or may not have anything to do with the above curse, but I'm tending to tie these verses to the above subject matter.

Job 25:5 Behold even to the moon, and it shineth not; yea, the stars are not pure in his sight.

I'm not sure the above verse ties in at all, but the concept of the moon city (Jericho which is cursed) shines or doesn't shine to its congregants (stars) and all are not pure in God's sight.

The above verse belongs in a very short chapter in Job, and I'm not sure of its meaning or significance there, but it drew my attention while I was pondering Joshua's curse.
 
This is a perplexing curse. I believe the Spirit moved Joshua to curse not only this place, but the one that builds it as well as the congregation that frequents it.

So, I'm very interested in your interpretations of this curse. I've laid out my speculation below.

Joshua 6:26 And Joshua adjured them at that time, saying, Cursed be the man before the LORD, that riseth up and buildeth this city Jericho: he shall lay the foundation thereof in his firstborn, and in his youngest son shall he set up the gates of it.

and

1 Kings 16:34 In his days did Hiel the Bethelite build Jericho: he laid the foundation thereof in Abiram his firstborn, and set up the gates thereof in his youngest son Segub, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Joshua the son of Nun.

When I start any great mystery, I go to Strong's and start looking at terms.

Hiel = "God lives"
Bethelite = "house of God"
an inhabitant of Bethel
Jericho = "its moon"
Abiram = "my father is exalted" or "(the) Exalted One is (my) father"
Segub = "exalted"

A lot of righteous sounding players here. So, why is it cursed? I've heard a "sermon" (if you could call it that) on you tube that discussed the sons being killed in the process of building. I guess that is the meaning of the foundation being laid in Abiram and the gate in his son Segub. I don't know, that's just what the priest (Catholic) said.

Here is my speculative interpretation of the meaning of this curse. (And it's wild speculation for now.)

So beginning at the terms, a picture emerges of a father building a church with his family. At great cost. Hence it being a curse, I suppose.

1. Hiel, the father, is that devil ever building his throne to surpass God's in heaven.
2. Bethelite referring to one from a house of God, making me see the moon city (Jericho) being rebuilt as a church.
2. The sons, turning out to be the congregants that worship the devil being cursed, devastated and destroyed in the process.
3. This city, Jericho, being a moon city is a city of lesser light.

Now, a curious references that may or may not have anything to do with the above curse, but I'm tending to tie these verses to the above subject matter.

Job 25:5 Behold even to the moon, and it shineth not; yea, the stars are not pure in his sight.

I'm not sure the above verse ties in at all, but the concept of the moon city (Jericho which is cursed) shines or doesn't shine to its congregants (stars) and all are not pure in God's sight.

The above verse belongs in a very short chapter in Job, and I'm not sure of its meaning or significance there, but it drew my attention while I was pondering Joshua's curse.

Wait . . . you believe that Joshua had the Power to allocate an effectual curse? Why do you think that he had that ability? Why does his curse have more power than if you or I were to speak a curse upon someone.

I don't have that kind of Power . . . and I never will. God does not require me in this way, nor does He require anyone in that said way.
 
Wait . . . you believe that Joshua had the Power to allocate an effectual curse? Why do you think that he had that ability? Why does his curse have more power than if you or I were to speak a curse upon someone.

I don't have that kind of Power . . . and I never will. God does not require me in this way, nor does He require anyone in that said way.
Hmmm. Well, the verse does say "adjured" so that is not the same as making the curse. But, it is a curse made by the Lord through Joshua. I kind of thought that was understood.

I've done a little more analysis and found a few other verses.

MYSTERY!
Joshua 6:26 And Joshua adjured them at that time, saying, Cursed be the man before the LORD, that riseth up and buildeth this city Jericho: he shall lay the foundation thereof in his firstborn, and in his youngest son shall he set up the gates of it.


Solved???


1 Kings 16:34 In his days did Hiel the Bethelite build Jericho: he laid the foundation thereof in Abiram his firstborn, and set up the gates thereof in his youngest son Segub, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Joshua the son of Nun.

1. Hiel = God lives.
2. Bethel = God's house
3. Bethelite = from Bethel
4. Jericho = its moon (moon lesser light.)
5. Abiram = my father is exalted
6. Segub = exalted

Mystery: Satan lives (Hiel) established and exalts himself as God and rebuilds condemned and destroyed moon (lesser light) city Jericho (as his own house of worship) with his own sons (Abiram and Segub) as congregation equally damned as himself.


2 Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Interestingly, consider Job 5:3-4 and Job 25:5

Job 5:3 I have seen the foolish taking root: but suddenly I cursed his habitation.

4 His children are far from safety, and they are crushed in the gate, neither is there any to deliver them.

Job 25:5 Behold even to the moon, and it shineth not; yea, the stars are not pure in his sight.

Puzzling: Any relation to this curse?

Bildad = confusing (by mingling) love
Shuahite = of Shua
Shua = wealth, wife of Judah, mother of Onan, Er & Shelah

Mystery: Could Bildad be referring to Satan's (Hiel) house (Bethelite) of worship, Jericho (moon) and congregation (stars) as not pure in his sight?
 
But, it is a curse made by the Lord through Joshua. I kind of thought that was understood.

That's a good point. Actually, that's a really good point, as Joshua is Truly a man of God, and no doubt, God worked through Joshua, Israel's second good and Righteous leader. I love it when someone proves me wrong and I learn something out of it. So thank you!

I also like the way you think in terms of offering up possibilities. I believe deeply in my Heart that the Lord loves this kind of inspection and consideration of His Holy Word.