Journey to enter into rest

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
Journey to enter into rest

Prepare your heart for an inner journey:
"Follow the Spirit as your guide, that you may resist the flesh."
While we continue to drink from the fountain of living water we no longer thirst after the world. The refreshing of His Spirit satisfies us, not to take things in our hands again. "In the last and great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried saying: If any man thirst, let Him come to Me and drink. He that believes in Me, as the scriptures say, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (He was refereeing to His Spirit given to everyone who would believe in Him)." Entering into rest our soul no longer experiences distress as in the valley of decision, where we are troubled with cares of this life and not One with God as we should: We forsake the fountain of living water seeking in creature what is found in God, left to ourselves, because we left our first Love, unless we return.

The prodigal son:
“There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his Father, 'Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So He divided his property between them. Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had and set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in the land, and he began to be in want. So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He longed to fill his stomach with the cobs that the pigs were eating: no one gave him anything. When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my Father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my Father and say to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ So he got up and went to his Father. But while he was still a long way off, His Father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; He ran to His son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. The son said to Him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against You. I am no longer worthy to be called Your son.’ But the Father said to His servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of Mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate."
The Father gave him the best robe: a new identity by the Holy Spirit. The Father put a ring on his finger: authority as son of God. "Behold, I give you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means harm you." The Father put shoes on his feet, "He that says he lives in Him is to walk even as He walked." "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of Him who brings good news, proclaiming peace, announcing news of renewal.” Rightly related to God is not how we see ourselves, rather becoming selfless, we see God and change in identity with Him. The Father prepares a feast, the son has come home: the Father does it all. Not about you and what you did, but who's you are and what He did: to save us from ourselves.

The Journey begins, returning home:
“Jesus turned and saw them following and said to them: What do you seek? They said to Him: Master where do You live? He said to them: Come, and see. So they came and saw where He lived; and they stayed with Him that day, for it was about the tenth hour." In this encounter of becoming His disciple, we experience the goodness of God: fulfillment as if troubles are over for ever, mistaking the beginning of the Journey for having arrived. This beginning of Contemplation is dark to our understanding: walking in the Spirit is uncharted territory. We still suffer trials of fear of getting lost on the road, affections indulged as desires to take things in our hands again. So delicate is the refreshing of the Spirit that being weighed down with cares of this life distracts us. Not knowing where to go with affections and imagination until, “When I grew up, I put away childish things.”

There is a motion of sin in us:
"What is gain for me is lost for Christ."
"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." If we do not walk in the light we have, we deceive ourselves and become dull of hearing, so that knowledge of God becomes something far away. In disorder of inner life, spiritual reading does not bring relief; the little value we set on Him being what we receive: discouragement and loss of vision. "A double minded man is unstable in all His ways." To arrive at wholeness passes through the valley of decision: Enter in as a little child and put away your divided spirit.

Walk through the valley:
Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision: for the day of the Lord, is near in the valley of decision."
“Yes though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me.”
Taken from tending the Father's sheep in the wilderness, David confronting the lion and the bear, has the rightful place for fear in Contemplation of God, prepared to face Goliath without fear. "Out of the mouth of babes You have ordained strength: to still the enemy and avenger." Living for the praise of God, "The joy of the Lord is our strength."

If we desire control we resist the Holy Spirit:
Saul desired to remain in charge; knowing the kingdom is thorn from Him, and gives his daughter to David in marriage. "Saul said: I will give him her that she be a snare to Him." But Saul is the one ensnared. "The evil spirit from God came upon Saul and he prophesied in the midst of the house, and David played with hand as at other times. And there was a javelin in Saul's hand and Saul cast the javelin; for he said, I will smite David even to the wall with it. And David avoided out of his presence twice. And Saul was afraid of David, because the Lord was with him, and was departed from Saul...and David fled and escaped that night." Leaving the comfort of Saul's daughter, to escape a battle he is not to fight.

The dark night of the soul.
1: On a dark night, kindled in Love with yearnings, oh happy chance!
I went forth without being observed, My house being now at rest.

Getting past the wall of our comfort zone:
"Michal let David down through a window."
The wall enclosed us with desire to please the old king: when controlled by desires, we can't put away our divided spirit, "This kind does not come out but by prayer and fasting." "It shall come to past in the day that the lord shall give you rest from your sorrow and your fear and the hard bondage wherein you were made to serve." "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the enemy and he will flee from you." Losing sight of the Lord in these uncertain times is our greatest affliction. Godly sorrow leads to repentance but worldly sorrow leads to death: To get past you have to surrender everything. To seek first the kingdom of God and not take things in your hands again, "The heir, as long as he is a child, differs nothing from a servant, though he be Lord of all; but is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the Father."

You must value what you have:
"The kingdom of God is righteousness and peace and Joy in the Holy Ghost."
After the death of Saul, David is king over all Israel, no longer fleeing outward enemies and encounters the enemy within: corrupted by power to take things in his hands with Bathsheba. The sentence of the Lord, "From now on you shall have wars." David was faithful to turn to God in adversity when confronted with outward enemies, to yield to Him in affliction: as contraries otherwise that can't coexist as one. "You did chastise me Lord, and I was instructed."
"They that wait on the Lord shall renew strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint." We soar effortlessly with God, and loose this privilege when controlled by desire in relationships. Without following the Spirit, we would take things in our hands again. "Flee youthful lusts that war against the soul," "Flee anger," "Flee from idolatry." "The eyes of the Lord run through the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is to go on to perfection."

God breaks our heart to enlarge our territory:
“Unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone, but if it dies it brings forth much fruit."
"Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say to you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able." "Therefore take no thought saying, what shall we eat? What shall we drink? Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek), for your heavenly Father knows that you have need of all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you." "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." "If any of you wants to be my disciple, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily and follow me." If you seek your life, you will lose it, but if you lose your life for My sake you will save it." Jesus finished the work but requires our agreement with Him for the Passion of Christ to take us captive. Wounded with His wounds, we journey into union with God: "These are the wounds I received in the house of my friends." Carried into His death to all that is not of God, becomes our freedom to go on to know the Lord in His continual fellowship with the Father.

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
"Then shall the kingdom of heaven be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went forth to meet the bridegroom, and five of them were wise, and five foolish. The foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them; but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps. While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept. At midnight there was a cry made: Behold the bridegroom comes, go out to meet Him. Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. The foolish said to the wise: Give us of your oil, for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered saying: Not so, this way there is not enough for us and you, but go rather to them that sell and buy for yourselves."
The wise entered in the will of God with their whole heart and could not help the foolish who had not counted the cost of following the Lord. "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot: I would that you were cold or hot. So then because you are lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth. Because you say: I am rich and increased with goods and have need of nothing, and know not that you are wretched and miserable and poor, and blind and naked: I counsel you to buy of Me gold refined in the fire that thou may be rich, and white garment that you may be clothed and the shame of your nakedness does not appear, and anoint your eyes that you may see. As many as I love I rebuke and discipline: be zealous therefore and repent. Behold I stand at the door and knock: If any man hears My voice and opens the door, I will come into him and will sup with him and he with me. To him that overcomes will I grant to sit with Me in my throne, even as I also overcame and Am set down with My Father in His throne. He that has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."

We will not be satisfied until we find our rest in God:
"God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of Love and power and a sound mind."
"The weapons of our warfare are not of our fleshly mind, but mighty through God to pull down strong holds; turning down imaginations and every proud thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, to bring every thoughts in obedience of Christ." Life in this world is a dream that wakes us up when we suffer disappointment, alone in deep darkness and unprepared to suffer the journey alone with Christ. Without the Holy Spirit leading us we are like the disciples at Gethsemane, heavy with sleep and unable to pray. If we don't know how to interpret we won't enjoy the wonder; what we learn in the waiting is more important than what we are waiting for: to persevere through uncertain times and be renewed. To trust His Grace to enables us to do "One thing needful," forgetting what lies behind and go on to know the Lord. To prepare our heart for spiritual awakening, that we may continue to appear before God and enter in His rest. To forsake everyone and everything that would hold us back; including our own life, to be His disciple. "For which of you intending to build a tower, sits not down first and counts the cost he has to finish?"

The disciples had not received the Holy Spirit while Jesus was with them:
"You shall have power after the Holy Spirit is come upon you and you shall be witnesses of Me."
Without the Holy Spirit, we don't know the condition of our heart. "The heart of man is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked who can know it." Peter who received revelation from the Father that Jesus is the son of God is later rebuked by the Lord for speaking contrary to God. A natural leader with confidence to walk on water at God's call, looses sight of the Lord in the storm, we have been there, "Lord save me." At the last super Jesus said to his disciples, "All of you will reject me this very night." "And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: but I have prayed for you, that your faith fail not: and when thou are converted, strengthen your brethren. And he said unto him, 'Lord, I am ready to go with you, both into prison, and to death. And he said, 'I tell you Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that you shall deny tree time that you know me." In the garden of Gethsemane His three closest disciples were asked to pray, "They became heavy with sleep." Good will is not enough, "I want to do what is right but I don’t, Instead I do what I hate... I have the will but not the power to do what is right." "The disciples did not comprehend that following Jesus in His suffering was only possible by the Holy Spirit. Jesus was not expecting them at that time, "This is the hour and power of darkness." Wen He was betrayed, He said, "I have told you that I am he. If then, you are looking for me, let these others go."

No one recognized Jesus in the resurrection until they received Him as a stranger:
"Where two or more are gathered in My name, there I Am in the midst of them."
The two disciples on the road to Emmaus did not recognize Him in a long conversation with Him, until after offering Him hospitality as a stranger: in the breaking of bread. Jesus revealed himself to Mary Magdalene after addressing Him as the gardener: to care for His body. Other disciples had resolved to go back fishing. “Simon Peter said to them, I go fishing. They said to him, we also go with you. They went forth and entered into a ship immediately and that night they caught nothing... and Jesus said to them: Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and you shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were unable to draw it for the multitude of fishes." They recognized Him by the miracle after obeying His Word as a stranger: On the right side. Acknowledging Him in the least we see past ourselves, having abandoned Him alone in His passion, back to habits abandoned, laboring in vain in the will of the flesh. "They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy." God's response to Jonas, "shall I not spare… people that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand."

Those building for themselves, are in danger of rejecting the Holy Spirit:
"The publicans and sinners enter the kingdom of God before you."
"Unless the Lord builds the house, they labour in vain that build it. It's vain for you to rise up early and sit up late for He gives His beloved rest." "He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathers not with me scatters abroad. Therefore I say to you, all manner of sin shall be forgiven to men: but rejecting the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven to men." The danger of pride of achievement, becoming offended and falling away, rather than dwell with Him as never absent. No sooner we find light that we wish to be teachers, for others to experience our desire and though. "Having a zeal for God but not according to knowledge." Going further is not in our understanding. "Through much trouble we enter the kingdom of God." "Many are called but few are chosen." "If you continue in My word then are you My disciples and you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

Those desiring control cause the multitude of the city to be divided:
"The people of the city were divided; some sided with the Jews, others with the apostles."
"I die daily. If after the manner of men I have fought with beasts at Ephesus, what advantaged it me, if the dead rise not?" "For we would not brethren, have you ignorant of our trouble which came to us in Asia, that we were pressed out of measure, above strength, so much that we despaired even of life; but we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God who raises the dead." Even the disciples of Jesus were divided between following the Lord and desire to be the greatest, before they received the Holy Spirit. "For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, the enemies of the cross of Christ: whose end destruction, whose god their belly, who glory in their shame and mind earthly things."

As a babe nurtured with milk of its loving mother, the Grace of God carried us effortlessly:
"Whom shall God teach knowledge and whom shall He make to understand hearing? Those that are weaned from the milk and drawn from the breasts."
Finding pleasure in spiritual things, with faults unaware until taken from the breast and set down to learn to walk in the Spirit. When discontent to lose habits of a babe, we strive for knowledge as power to control, rather than to learn of God in Humility. To seek authority for recognition keeps us from facing our emptiness in relationship with God. Such one-sided repentance of our will and pride of achievement is contrary to Humility. Humility is a fruit of the Spirit from dwelling in God, the humble find God in everything. Honor and dishonor does not affect Humility, in reproach, Humility keeps us at peace. "Great Peace have they that Love your law and nothing shall offend them." The Holy Spirit enables us to Love as God Loves and forgive our enemies, "For if you forgive not, neither will your Father in heaven forgive you." "And we know that all things work together for good to them that Love the Lord.”

We can’t enlarge our heart as we would think in understanding:
"Lean not on your own understanding but trust in the Lord."
"If I understood mysteries and have not Love I am nothing." We don't master His Word in our understanding but in yielding ourselves as members of His body. Like a vine pruned of excess branches, we loose our life in a winter where life doesn't make sense, to emerge as a choice branch remaining in fellowship with God; receiving abundance from the vine to produce more fruit. Detached from love of pleasure and gaining Love of neighbor: not judging as before we have peace and comfort in God. "Come to Me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light." No longer reasoning concerning things of the Spirit, we walk by faith. Present with Him, we experience inner refreshment in freedom from cares, "I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart." "Who shall ascend into the mountain of the Lord’s house? And who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart: who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood and has not sworn deceitfully. He shall receive blessing from the Lord and righteousness from the God of his salvation. This is the generation of those who seek Him, who seek Your face."

Compassion is the way to fulfill our calling, not competition:
"Let us not judge one another anymore, but judge this rather, that no-one cause a brother to stumble."
Not about trying to change others: His Spirit empowers us to change and Love people as they are; releasing them to the Lord who frees them to change and walk in the light they have to get more light. "Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is freedom." What we behold with admiration remains with us, whether loving this present world or turning to the Lord for help: to know Him as the measure of Love. Humbled in His sufferings for us; yielding to Him who regards not great works but the Lover in fellowship with Him. Our brokenness in relationship is healed in the community of the body of Christ. "For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ, eat and drink judgment on themselves. That is why many among you are weak and sick and a number of you have fallen asleep. But if we were discerning, we would not come under judgment. Nevertheless, when we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world." "Confess your faults one to another and Pray one for another that you may be healed."

The more we seek our fulfillment in this life, the less we have of God; lacking godly sorrow we lack divine comfort:
"Godly sorrow works repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but worldly sorrow leads to death."
“Enter in at the strait gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the way, that leads to destruction and many there be which go in there: because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, that leads to life, and few there be that find it."
To get past you have to surrender everything, past wandering and complaining in the desert, to have our thirst satisfied by His Spirit. "Leave all your cares with him, for he cares for you. Be sober and watching because your adversary, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour: whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. But the God of all grace, who has called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, make you perfect, establish, strengthen and settle you. To Him be glory and dominion forever and ever, Amen."

The night of the Spirit
2: In darkness and secure, by the secret ladder disguised:
Oh happy chance! In darkness concealed, My house being now at rest.

Following Jesus apart from the multitude:
"Let us go forth to Him outside the camp bearing His reproach."
In the night of the Spirit we are carried by the Holy Spirit in the sufferings of Christ. "Therefore submit to God, resist the enemy and He shall have to flee." We are empowered by the Spirit, not to lose sight of the Lord. "Daily pick up your cross and follow me." Ascending by the Holy Spirit who guides us to soar upward to God, along the road of solitude. After the Resurrection, Jesus first addressed Peter on Loving Him by feeding His flock, and then on the cost of following Him in His sufferings: receiving afresh the Way least understood. “Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you clothed yourself and walked where you would; but when you shall be old, you shall stretch forth your hands and Another shall clothe you and carry where you would not. This He said, signifying by what death he shall glorify God; and having said this, He said to him: Follow Me." As we follow, much is revealed by the Holy Spirit, “A new commandment I give to you, that you Love one another; as I have Loved you, that you also Love one another.” When friendship is spiritual, we are not distracted from the Lord, carried by Grace to go on and find the secret ladder of Contemplation ascending to treasures of Heaven. "Verily, verily, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man." This ladder Jacob saw by night as he slept, the angels of God ascending and descending on it, and behold, the Lord stood above it."

A secret ladder hidden from understanding, wisdom we see dimly:
"Lean not on your own understanding but trust in the Lord."
To cease from ourselves in language of God. "Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage.” Humbled and raised up to God, in this ladder we suffer many ups and downs: to keep watch ascending and descending until we enter into rest. Carried in profound retreat and raised to enter Love. On higher steps much is revealed through Love, different from visions and dreams that can be interpreted and described. The night of the spirit could be years after the night of following Christ in our understanding, Possibly because we think we understood already, yet unable to enter, not yielded to the leading of the Spirit. “ Jesus asked, 'Have you understood all these things?' They replied, 'Yes,' He said to them, 'Therefore every teacher of the law who has become a disciple in the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old.” Having thought we understood, yet not knowing as we can't in our understanding, but having experienced Him won’t be forgotten. Night comes and then dawn, having serenity and fellowship in community without hindrances as before; seeing dimly the reality of the kingdom of heaven within. The disciples had the Holy spirit teaching them through Jesus but did not know the power of the Spirit in their lives. Much like in the first account of outpouring of the Spirit those who received through the Apostles did not at first experience the boldness of the apostles. While both accounts of outpouring of the Holy Spirit were preceded by unity in prayer: Acts 2 "They were all with one accord in one place." In the later account, believers already have the Holy Spirit and prayed to speak with boldness against opposition and persecution. Acts 4:31 “And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spoke the word of God with boldness, and the multitude of them that believed, were of one heart and one soul."

To yield ourselves to God in affliction:
"As Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin." Our will gone from ourselves becomes united with God: "Let us go on to perfection and this we will do if God permits." “I looked and there was no one to help; and I wondered that there was no one to uphold: therefore My own arm brought salvation to Me; and My fury, it upheld Me.” When there is no-one left, is our opportunity to seek the Lord without distractions. In this hiding-place of contemplation we become selfless to find the Holy Spirit as our help. “When He, the Spirit of Truth is come, He will guide you into all Truth: for he shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will show you things to come.”

Jesus prayed for us to be in the unity of the Spirit:
"That they all may be one; as You Father in Me, and I in You, that they also be one in Us: that the world may believe that You have sent Me." "Now we have the mind of Christ," "As laborers together with God," with good will and affections according to God. " "It's no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me. And the life that I now live, I live by faith in the One who Loves me and delivers me." “Then the righteous will answer him: Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply: Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.”

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
The practice of the Presence of God

To persevere in spiritual life:
"The kingdom of God does not come with observation, Nor will they say, See here! Or See there! For the Kingdom of God is within you." "That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after Him, and find Him, since He is near to everyone of us: For in Him we live, and move, and have our being." "He that dwells in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the almighty." The cross ends our old life in addiction and pride of achievement. Grace enables us to do "One thing needful," forgetting what lies behind to go on to know the Lord. The new covenant is an exchange of Life with God: Because I Live you shall live also, "Having been united with Christ in His death, we shall also live by His Life." Having left us His will in fellowship with the Father, in the communion of the Last supper. "Rejoice evermore, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." "It's no longer I that lives but Christ, nevertheless I live yet not I but Christ that Lives in me." "I can do nothing of Myself except what I see the Father is doing." Lifted above worldly things, we see what God does. "Now we see dimly as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

Life is no longer about me:
There is no other time elsewhere to seek first the Kingdom of God:
"Now is the accepted time of renewal." Having the eye of your heart enlightened, that you may know the Hope of His calling." Recalled to yield ourselves to God as often as we find ourselves wandering, this does not tire the body. To let go of desiring control and find delight in God. “There remains a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered into His rest has ceased from his works, as God did from His.” Not mindful of God as we should, we suffer delusions of understanding and affections against us and faith alone for us. "Many are they that rise up against me… but You O Lord are a shield for me... I laid me down and slept, I awaked for the Lord sustained me." Those in agreement with God have the gale of the Holy Spirit and go forward even in sleep. If the vessel is tossed with opposing winds and storms, there is always a way with the wind, tacking into the wind. Tactful to get past troubles of relationships, to turn to the Lord who is resting in the ship. Past our understanding, carried by His Spirit with inner peace, as an eagle soaring effortlessly, suspended and fixed in God. He embraces with Love and welcomes us to eat at His table that we may have strength to endure with patience: most necessary for a soldier in unknown territory, daily faced with trouble and danger. “You set a table before me in the presence of my enemies."

Doing unto Him what we commonly did for ourselves in work:
“You will keep in perfect peace whose mind is set on You, because he trusts in You.”
Continuing with thanksgiving and not discouraged by the war against us from nature; persevering to bear the cross we find He requires no great accomplishments from us. Not to be compared with what He endured in taking the blame for His creation, to give us rest from our sorrow and fear and hard bondage. “He has shown you, O man, what is good: and what does the Lord require of you, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God." United to the will of God, we have sufficient light not to premeditate what to say. “A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be kind to everyone, patient in instructing those opposing themselves, that God may give them repentance to acknowledge the Truth.” We have His influence in relationships that we may do as He please, to Love without expectations. We help one another by encouragement, yet more by example pleasing to God in identity with Christ. Just as there is difference between acts of the intellect and of the will; the first of little value, acts of the will all important to be carried by His Spirit where we could not. “Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints."

Everyone is capable of communion with God, but we don’t become holy at once:
"One thing is needful: and Mary has chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."
"Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much."
"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but One thing, forgetting what lies behind and reaching forth to the things of God, I press toward the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be like minded." Those exercised in Godliness comprehend this principal to grow in Love, "What things were gain for me, those I counted loss for Christ. I count all things but loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things and consider them waste that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but through faith in Christ the righteousness that comes from God by faith. That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; if by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead."

We can do all things with the Grace of God:
"I am with you always, even to the end of the world."
A woman said to the Lord: Lord I thought You said Your yoke is easy? He replied: Mine is. She understood but worldly people do not comprehend, suffering what they are in despising the cross: for our heart is to be with our treasure. Many do not advance in Christ, trapped in the past, when the Lord has taken away our blame: desiring to prove themselves, insisting on being in control, while neglecting the love of God. But God is near when we acknowledge our poverty and need: He never forsakes us, we forsake Him and fall that we may learn to continually repent. To turn our will to His will, to bring our thoughts and desires captive to God. To be born of God implies carried by Him, past trying to prove ourselves: as an eagle exerts strength to reach the updraft; trusting to be carried effortlessly by His Spirit in fellowship with the Father. Persevering with thanksgiving carries us into His presence; to cease from our understanding: in contemplation worship we enter the relationship of Jesus with the Father. He will grant at once what was deferred many years. God knows best what we need and all that He does is for our good. If we knew how much He Loves us, we would be ready to receive the bitter cup as well as the sweet from His Hand. Afflictions appear intolerable when we see them in the wrong light; but how can we see differently until we come to Him and “Taste and see that the Lord is good.” We deceive ourselves seeking God for favors that don't bring us near Him; thinking we have another time elsewhere to come to Him.

Light overcomes darkness:
"Let us therefore fear, lest a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it. For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. For we who have believed do enter into rest."
Otherwise in anxiety, unable to suffer the cross without reflecting the loss of what lies behind of pleasure: going in circles in the wilderness, not forgetting the past and not advancing toward God. "I could not address you as living by the Spirit but as worldly, as babes in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Neither are you now ready. You mind is on things of the flesh. Since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not controlled by desires of the flesh?"

Those who overcome will rule with Him because He Rules in them.
"If we suffer with Him we shall rule with Him."
The spiritual man no longer seeks help elsewhere. "Godliness and contentment therewith is great gain."
In Contemplation worship we yield to God and unite with Him, to be known of Him and have rule over our spirit by the Holy Spirit. We bring our thoughts captive to Christ who has overcome the world. He that has God has all things and he that has Him not is nothing. "Neither count I my life dear to myself, that I might finish my course with Joy."

We don't attain union with God in our understanding:
"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom, and with all, get understanding."
Contemplative prayer is past what we think we know in understanding. Understanding is for beginning in the Way, otherwise wandering like stray sheep, seeking anxiously and unable to follow the leading of the Spirit and go on to know the Lord. "Let us go on to perfection and this we will do if God permit." Praying in the Spirit is unknown to our understanding and communicates in agreement with God with thanksgiving to be built up in faith, past our understanding. From a place of rest, abstaining from ourselves to find Him in all things.

There is no saint, who has not passed through suffering with Christ:
"The pains of death surrounded me."
“I the man has seen affliction by the rod of his wrath. He has led me in darkness and not light… He has walled me in so that I can’t get out; He has made my chain heavy... My soul still has remembrance and is humbled in me. This I recall to mind, therefore have I hope, the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed; His compassions fail not, new every morning: Your great faithfulness.” Mercy so great we think trials to be over for ever, not to take things in our hands again, but the root is hidden as an enemy asleep. "Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God, lest any root of bitterness springing up, trouble’s you and thereby many be defiled.”

Not to take things in our hands again: not to return to old identity.
"Let him that is on the housetop not come down to take anything out of his house: neither him in the field return back to take his clothes." The field is the world we overcome through Christ and remain as light, to continually seek and find Him in everything. Though we read spiritual books, we don't enter into rest until we lose ourselves in the Love of God: acknowledging we know not to advise souls in the inner Way, it concerns them to come of themselves, "Strive to enter in at the straight gate, for many shall seek to enter in and shall not be able." Persevere to learn of Him in Humility and hold your peace, go not out of the Way to seek comfort of creature and sink in depravity to suffer like condemned souls. Self-denial is harsh in the beginning, to put away our divided spirit; tempted to be weary in the seeming never ending middle, and in the end easy to find God in everything. "Delight yourself in the Lord and He will fulfill the desires of your heart." To leave all things in His hand and consent to the Cross all that is not of God, until temptations lose their hold. He has nothing else to do after this than lead us to "Go on to Perfection." The disciple becomes like the Master, carried by the Spirit to enter into Wisdom.

The Way of the Lord revealed in His creation:
"The invisible things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made."
"There are three things which are too wonderful for me, yes four which I can't attain to: the way of an eagle in the air, the way of a serpent up a rock, the way of a ship in the midst of the sea, and the way of a man with a maiden."

"The way of an eagle in the air"
To soar effortlessly on rising air currents:
"They that wait on the Lord shall renew strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."
When fledglings learn to fly, some won't learn at once to exert their wings and reach the updraft, and end up left on the ground to fend for themselves, until willing to learn. Identified with creature comfort, we will not soar with God, but having had a taste, as brief as it was won't be forgotten. We experience this from time to time in worship, but until we learn obedience of faith, we lose direction of the up-draft and end up back on the ground: to "Run and not be weary" of those desiring to be in charge and "walk and not faint" from troubles and fears. One such eaglet who would not learn at once, was found by a farmer and nurtured in his chicken coop for a while, until the memory of soaring overtook the nurture of the comfort zone where he did not fit in and disappeared to destiny.

"The way of a snake up a rock"
Climbing a rock by making a vacuum with it's belly against the rock:
"I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: you therefore wise as serpents and harmless as doves." To become One with "The Rock that is higher than I." To seek God in our heart and continually return to Him; avoiding the sand of the world that would come between us and the rock to break the oneness and cause our downfall: not to be blinded by self-sufficiency and resist the operations of Grace. "Harmless as doves," to suffer all things with a single eye to please Him. Neglect of Interior Life is not remaining in Him who Is the Life of the vine, the God of all comfort. "You shall seek Me, and find, when you shall search for Me with all your heart."

"The way of a ship in the midst of the sea"
There is always a way with the wind, when winds are contrary we progress by tacking into the wind:
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that Love God, who are called to His purpose." Beginning in prayer is labor until we enter into rest in God. Every journey has its beginning, progress and fulfillment; leaving our comfort zone behind, cords are loosed to push off from the old port, to clear harbor and put to sea; leaving creature entanglements in the labor of beginning, we proceed to the interior, the kingdom of heaven within, under the rule of His Spirit. Laid bare in prayer exposes areas of our heart held back; spreading sails in the wind of the open sea, to yield our whole heart, caught up to God in the wind of the Spirit. Leaving familiar land behind, proceed so swiftly that oars are useless and laid aside: prayer becomes effortless." We rest from our labor and glide rapidly along without toil and make more Way in one hour than a day rowing on our efforts. The comparison of His Spirit is much greater so that in one day yielding into the outpouring of His Spirit, advances us more than a year on our own efforts. "For a day in Your courts, is better than a thousand elsewhere." Thankful for what we have in Way of relationship with God, advance inwardly in a short time, further than a life of self-exertion, "Strive to enter His rest."

"The way of a man with a maiden"
A new relationship effortlessly drawn to learn to love:
Love is its own reward, motivating the relationship of its own accord: to cease from ourselves and find rest in the beloved. "He that is joined to the Lord becomes one Spirit with Him." In romantic love what we see and hear, reason and speak, and eat and drink, doesn't distract from love; thanksgiving rules the heart and occupations don't distract. Neither does our prayer need to be filled with words but agreement of Love. The inner life of Jesus was hidden in solitude and unless we are led by His Spirit we won't know the Way. "The secret of the Lord, is with them that fear Him," admiration worship prayer in secret to find Him in everything; hearing and speaking with God as nothing else real. We are in trouble when carried emotionally by woman. "Man that is born of woman is of few days and full of trouble." We long to be loved intimately, but having left our first Love we will not be united as one and the relationship becomes work. Adversity works for good to face our need to turn to the Lord for help in Humility. He is with us in trouble of relationship and we can’t without Him put away our divided spirit that interrupted God. When trying to impress our mate we don't Love as God Loves. "It remains, that both they that have wives be as though they have none." To cease planning and wishing with imagination, to enter His House in a journey of discovery we can’t imagine, in agreement more wonderful than we could dream, over time becomes habitual presence of God. Not distracted by circumstances, in dry times as well as overflowing; losing ourselves in the Love of God, to become one spirit with Him who will restore more than we have left. When there is no one left to distract us, Jesus is the Door and the Way.