Judas' death

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

AndrewMorgan

Jul 10, 2022
Is there a contradiction in the 2 accounts of Judas Iscariot's death. Some say he died from hanging; some say he died from his stomach being ruptured.
I think the latter is almost impossible. In the entirety of televised rugby/ football matches, no-one has been killed by falling over and rupturing his stomach. I at once thought this account was referring to the occasion when he was cut down from the tree on which he hung.
Anyone have any thoughts?

soberxp

May 3, 2018
He was in pain, still hanging on a tree somewhere, dressed in black, Waiting for God's forgiveness, the pain just like hell,no one wants to feel it.He tried to atone for his SIN in various ways.Maybe one day he can take off his black cloth.

I'm not sure what it was hanging on the tree, I just saw the black cloth with endless torn edges. At that time, he wanted to help me, but what I felt was uncomfortable, I knew he wanted to help me, maybe that uncomfortable feeling came from himself.

I scalded
my heart with boiling water for some reason, my heart was very uncomfortable, I found a river to prepare to let the unbearable temperature down, I even wanted to drown in the river Because I kind of couldn't handle the pain, but when I found that I sucked into the lungs of the water actually can breathe, so I came out of the river, suddenly felt a cool from the back through the heart, I looked back and saw the scene.

L

Locoponydirtman

This question assumes that one or the other must habe happened as opposed to both. Judas likely hanged for many days and bloated in the sun. Then slipped from his noose and fell and burst. Then when they found him. They found a noose in a tree above a burst carcase.
Mathew likely didnt go into the gorey details while the writer of acts felt it necessary.

Mar 4, 2020
Is there a contradiction in the 2 accounts of Judas Iscariot's death. Some say he died from hanging; some say he died from his stomach being ruptured.
I think the latter is almost impossible. In the entirety of televised rugby/ football matches, no-one has been killed by falling over and rupturing his stomach. I at once thought this account was referring to the occasion when he was cut down from the tree on which he hung.
I’ve heard it speculated that Judas was murdered. Slicing someone’s stomach open before hanging them, so the bowels burst out, is a humiliation death.

Of course that isn’t what the New Testament says and it’s plausible Judas did it to himself.

Scarlett7297

Mar 28, 2020
What if he didn't chose to kill himself....would he be forgiven while he was alive if he expressed guilt over what he did instead of killing himself?

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Judas died by hanging himself... because he hanged from a tree during the sabbath the Jews considered him to be cursed and so would not cut him down.. they did not want to touch his body.. His 30 pieces of silver ended up paying for the field where he hanged himself because again the former owner did not want the land now that it had a cursed body hanging from a tree.. Eventually all bodies break down and the body of Judas fell to the ground and because it was advanced in deterioration the body burst open when he hit the ground..

(Deuteronomy 21:22-23) "¶ And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree: {23} His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance."

Judas body remain on the tree overnight on the sabbath night the land had become defiled according to Deuteronomy

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Apparently Judas had been dead awhile when he fell and was bloated; that's why he burst open. His neck may have decomposed and that's why he fell. But it's hard to say for sure; the branch or the rope may have broken.

AndrewMorgan

Jul 10, 2022
I’ve heard it speculated that Judas was murdered. Slicing someone’s stomach open before hanging them, so the bowels burst out, is a humiliation death.

Of course that isn’t what the New Testament says and it’s plausible Judas did it to himself.

I haven't a Bible with me at the moment, but I thought it was made clear that Judas hanged himself.

AndrewMorgan

Jul 10, 2022
Judas died by hanging himself... because he hanged from a tree during the sabbath the Jews considered him to be cursed and so would not cut him down.. they did not want to touch his body.. His 30 pieces of silver ended up paying for the field where he hanged himself because again the former owner did not want the land now that it had a cursed body hanging from a tree.. Eventually all bodies break down and the body of Judas fell to the ground and because it was advanced in deterioration the body burst open when he hit the ground..

(Deuteronomy 21:22-23) "¶ And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree: {23} His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance."

Judas body remain on the tree overnight on the sabbath night the land had become defiled according to Deuteronomy

That's what I thought - "his bowels gushed out" post-death" (it never happens pre-death on any football game game I've witnessed!).

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Apparently Judas had been dead awhile when he fell and was bloated; that's why he burst open. His neck may have decomposed and that's why he fell. But it's hard to say for sure; the branch or the rope may have broken.
At any rate, there is no Biblical contradiction. There never is.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
That's what I thought - "his bowels gushed out" post-death" (it never happens pre-death on any football game game I've witnessed!).
Of course, football players usually don't get snagged up on broken tree branches. :confused::sneaky::unsure:

Jan 14, 2021
Matthew 27:3-5 vs Acts 1:15-19

Having your guts burst out isn't necessarily immediately fatal, but without modern medicine would be a death sentence.

I propose that Judas split his gut first and then when realizing the long and painful death that he was doomed to, decided to hang himself to make the death quick.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself. Matt 27:5 (KJV)
Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. Acts 1:18 (KJV)
It may be that he hanged himself, the rope broke, he fell and got killed from the fall. What's described is definitely more than a "stomach rupture".