Judging...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
GOP is what you get if you cross NetChaplain, Lanolin and a triple-shot espresso.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
People cant help being who they are. They do what is right in their own eyes. I dont think there is anyone who can say they see clearer than anyone else, except God who sees everything.

On judging, I have a lot of entries, so it takes a while. I have to really look at each book (inside and outside) and decide what to give it. I dont line them all up at once and pick one. Its not always a quick thing and you cant just say you like this or dont like that, its not just about personal preference.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well I didnt hear about any child winning the coloring competetion but I did win a grant to spend $300 it bean bags in the library.

hooray!

Now just need to find some bean bags. Sometimes I feel like going shopping is kind of like judging. Judging on what to spend money on. Sometimes out of necessity you just buy the first thing you see. But if you want quality you sometimes need to shop around.

I saw some bean bags that were very cheap but they had a little mesh thing at the base that I know would just get torn and the beans would come flooding out.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
have two books I cant find that still need to be judged.

Usually when I read anything I write a review of the book on a site like goodreads or my library catalogue. some I do star ratings others I just write something. It might be useful to someone else and I know some authors, especially new ones crave (good) reviews. But if I dont think much of a book, I dont write anything, I think if its really bad, I would rather let it pass than say I hated the book and warn everyone else not to read it.

I think giving a book a bad review can be a bit detrimental in some respects. it gives it publicity it might not deserve.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I come back to this thread

to be honest judging in a panel is really hard, especially when the other panel people ignore what you have to say or even leave you out!

so frustrating. Maybe its a miscommunication, but I think judging ought to be fair and everyones views taken into account, plus if a score is averaged, that the lower scores not be put above the higher scores. I mean that isnt fair.

And that each book or whatever is assessed by the entire panel. Not only that, we were judging on suitability for young readers, so under 18 year olds. That means you sort of have to put yourself in the young readers shoes for a bit. If its confusing for an older reader it would be doubly confusing for a younger one to grasp.

anyway. I dont know if judging is my thing after all. I felt that because I was the youngest on the panel, everyone kind of dismissed my views, or concerns.

All I got was well that was interesting but its already decided. Maybe being in a group means you always have to have the same views as everyone elses. Or agree with the one who has the loudest voice.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
oh man

the panel said well you should have said something at the meeting..but hello nobody gave me a chance and nobody even checked with me, and Im like what and I DID say I did not agree when the longlist was sent out.

so this book that has misleading information in it is going to be on a noted longlist and its not even really a nz book.

Im kinda bummed. I mean ok there are other great books we voted on but...how did one slip through that I did not vote to keep.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I let the judging go for a bit

whatever is decided is now out of my hands anyway

What I do think is that what is important in the realm of what people will read is 'the peoples choice' rather than a select panel of judges. This opens up judging for everyone, not just a select few (though it is quite an honor to be selected as a judge)

However the danger is that everything just becomes a popularity contest and the ones that come out the winners are just the ones that had a better publicity campaign, and wider distribution even if the quality is not so great. hmm