Just say NO to easter!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 18, 2023
Satan always takes that which is good and pleasing to the Lord and corrupts it.
but did you know that every time you call the day Thursday, your actually celebrating an ancient pagan God 😂😋😋😋😃 the Anglo-Saxons worshipped the gods Tiw, Woden, Thor and Frig. From these words come the names of our days of the week: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. (So Wednesday means Woden's day, Thursday Thor's day and so on.)

Dec 18, 2023
My advice is when somebody asks what day it is, ye should say today

John146

Jan 13, 2016
but did you know that every time you call the day Thursday, your actually celebrating an ancient pagan God 😂😋😋😋😃 the Anglo-Saxons worshipped the gods Tiw, Woden, Thor and Frig. From these words come the names of our days of the week: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. (So Wednesday means Woden's day, Thursday Thor's day and so on.)
Lol, but I'm not really celebrating it if I'm ignorant. Thanks a lot.:unsure:

Dec 29, 2023
I am not sure this generally becomes a of the Easter message, but it is an integral part of the resurrection.

"easter" has zero to do with the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Pagan origins of easter

the Easter story comes from the Sumerian legend of Damuzi (Tammuz) and his wife Inanna (Ishtar), an epic myth called “The Descent of Inanna” found inscribed on cuneiform clay tablets dating back to 2100 BC. When Tammuz dies, Ishtar is grief–stricken and follows him to the underworld. In the underworld, she enters through seven gates, and her worldly attire is removed. "Naked and bowed low" she is judged, killed, and then hung on display. In her absence, the earth loses its fertility, crops cease to grow and animals stop reproducing. Unless something is done, all life on earth will end.

After Inanna has been missing for three days her assistant goes to other gods for help. Finally one of them Enki, creates two creatures who carry the plant of life and water of life down to the Underworld, sprinkling them on Inanna and Damuzi, resurrecting them, and giving them the power to return to the earth as the light of the sun for six months. After the six months are up, Tammuz returns to the underworld of the dead, remaining there for another six months, and Ishtar pursues him, prompting the water god to rescue them both. Thus were the cycles of winter death and spring life.

The Sumerian goddess Inanna is known outside of Mesopotamia by her Babylonian name, "Ishtar". In ancient Canaan Ishtar is known as Astarte, and her counterparts in the Greek and Roman pantheons are known as Aphrodite and Venus.

the story of Inanna and Damuzi is just one of a number of accounts of dying and rising gods that represent the cycle of the seasons and the stars. For example, the resurrection of Egyptian Horus; the story of Mithras, who was worshipped at Springtime; and the tale of Dionysus, resurrected by his grandmother. Among these stories are prevailing themes of fertility, conception, renewal, descent into darkness, and the triumph of light over darkness or good over evil.

Easter as a Celebration of the Goddess of Spring

A related perspective is that, rather than being a representation of the story of Ishtar, Easter was originally a celebration of Eostre, goddess of Spring, otherwise known as Ostara, Austra, and Eastre. One of the most revered aspects of Ostara for both ancient and modern observers is a spirit of renewal.

Celebrated at Spring Equinox on March 21, Ostara marks the day when light is equal to darkness, and will continue to grow. As the bringer of light after a long dark winter, the goddess was often depicted with the hare, an animal that represents the arrival of spring as well as the fertility of the season.

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
I personally love Easter. I spend a lot of Holy Week doing a lot of reflection and having some quiet time with God. At the moment my life is so busy/crazy it's a great way for me to stop and be still with God.
Some might call Easter a pagan holiday but for me it's been an amazing time to spend with my Lord, Saviour and Hero 🥰

Dec 18, 2023
I personally love Easter. I spend a lot of Holy Week doing a lot of reflection and having some quiet time with God. At the moment my life is so busy/crazy it's a great way for me to stop and be still with God.
Some might call Easter a pagan holiday but for me it's been an amazing time to spend with my Lord, Saviour and Hero 🥰
you may like this 😊

This are new addition to the family Cameron, eating his first Easter egg 😊 Screenshot_20240331-180419.png

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Ishtar has nothing to do with Easter.

Ishtar:

Easter was not named after the ancient fertility goddesss Ishtar.
Ishtar has nothing to do with Easter - It never has, and even secular historians know this.
This is historically verifiable. It's just not accurate history.
But it's a modern inaccuracy we've all heard, over and over, so we just assume it's true... lots of good people assume it's true.

Complicated Etymology:
The etymology of "easter" is actually more complicated. But it's essentially derived from the name of a month that coincided with the time period of the resurrection, and so the celebration of the resurrection eventually took on that name. And like many naming conventions (like Saturday and Sunday) the name of the time period, the word itself, did have some original roots in pagan mythos. But those old naming conventions for time periods have nothing to do with the modern world, or how we use the words now.

And by the way... I never see anyone upset when Saturday rolls around. They all seem quite happy to smile and enjoy their Saturday off work. Nobody spends their Saturdays upset, and having a meltdown, complaining that Saturday is pagan.

Conclusion:
1.) Easter was not named after Ishtar - that's inaccurate history, and it's verifiable.
2.) Lots of bad historical information gets repeated by perfectly nice people... because it's what they've been told.
3. We can often trace bad information (like the Ishtar thing) back to specific books written by specific people.
(This Ishtar idea has not "always been"... it was brought into the world by a specific person who wrote a specific book.)
4.) Etymological Fallacy: Etymologies are often complicated, but there is actually a logical fallacy called the "etymological fallacy", in which we try to redefine a term by how it was etymologically derived hundreds or thousands of years ago. Usually the distant etymological roots have nothing to do with how a word is used modern times. Please think about that the next time you go fishing on a Saturday.

God Bless, and Happy Easter.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Ishtar has nothing to do with Easter.

Ishtar:
Easter was not named after the ancient fertility goddesss Ishtar.

Ishtar has nothing to do with Easter - It never has, and even secular historians know this.
This is historically verifiable. It's just not accurate history.
But it's a modern inaccuracy we've all heard, over and over, so we just assume it's true... lots of good people assume it's true.

Complicated Etymology:
The etymology of "easter" is actually more complicated. But it's essentially derived from the name of a month that coincided with the time period of the resurrection, and so the celebration of the resurrection eventually took on that name. And like many naming conventions (like Saturday and Sunday) the name of the time period, the word itself, did have some original roots in pagan mythos. But those old naming conventions for time periods have nothing to do with the modern world, or how we use the words now.

And by the way... I never see anyone upset when Saturday rolls around. They all seem quite happy to smile and enjoy their Saturday off work. Nobody spends their Saturdays upset, and having a meltdown, complaining that Saturday is pagan.

Conclusion:
1.)
Easter was not named after Ishtar - that's inaccurate history, and it's verifiable.
2.) Lots of bad historical information gets repeated by perfectly nice people... because it's what they've been told.
3. We can often trace bad information (like the Ishtar thing) back to specific books written by specific people.
(This Ishtar idea has not "always been"... it was brought into the world by a specific person who wrote a specific book.)
4.) Etymological Fallacy: Etymologies are often complicated, but there is actually a logical fallacy called the "etymological fallacy", in which we try to redefine a term by how it was etymologically derived hundreds or thousands of years ago. Usually the distant etymological roots have nothing to do with how a word is used modern times. Please think about that the next time you go fishing on a Saturday.

God Bless, and Happy Easter.

Thank you for your measured, factual response.

Dec 29, 2023
Some might call Easter a pagan holiday but for me it's been an amazing time to spend with my Lord, Saviour and Hero

Great, all you should do now is start calling it Resurrection Week since easter has nothing to do with Jesus.

Easter was not named after Ishtar - that's inaccurate history, and it's verifiable.

That's speculation not proven by history and God never calls Passover "easter"

We should be led by the Holy Spirit and stick with Passover, or Resurrection

SunshineGirl

Jan 6, 2024
England
Great, all you should do now is start calling it Resurrection Week since easter has nothing to do with Jesus.

That's speculation not proven by history and God never calls Passover "easter"

We should be led by the Holy Spirit and stick with Passover, or Resurrection
Resurrection Week does sound better 👍 I guess as people we just get in the habit of calling it Easter. Even as a kid it was the Easter holidays and at most churches in England it's called Holy Week leading into Easter Sunday.
Although a lot of schools have changed it to Spring Holiday now.

Dec 29, 2023
Resurrection Week does sound better 👍 I guess as people we just get in the habit of calling it Easter. Even as a kid it was the Easter holidays and at most churches in England it's called Holy Week leading into Easter Sunday.
Although a lot of schools have changed it to Spring Holiday now.

Yep, I called it easter for years until the Holy Spirit brought it to my attention the Lord never once referred to the resurrection as being easter

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Somebody said to have a happy "easter"

I told them thanks, but I don't celebrate pagan celebrations of pagan gods and goddesses
If I see a rabbit laying colored eggs, I'm going to shoot it! :cool:

I do celebrate Passover or Resurrection Day which is what Christians do! View attachment 262034
Hey Stan the man.. no offense but so? I'm 63 and knowing Him for 55y of that I fully know and understand for millions of millions of believers Easters means Christ rose and they celebrate that. Others do celebrate both meaning rabbit and eggs. I highly doubt my life is spotless and since they are not pointing out my fault's my errors. If someone came to me and asked I will speak up but... what ever some man did on any day .. means nothing. It has no power no authority over the GOD that made that day. And I will not give it any kind of glory.

Now me? No way am I going to shoot some Rabbit that lays colored eggs? Are you crazy man? OOH I see GREEN money every where! HAHA.

In short I agree. But what "word" someone use's I could careless. I have way to much to get in order in my life first. Yeah .. that mattes to Him more

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
There is some evidence that Easter became a pagan celebration.

Like from people like the ancient English Saxons. Before that time, the Anglo-Saxons worshipped the gods Tiw, Woden, Thor and Frig. From these words come the names of our days of the week: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. (So Wednesday means Woden's day, Thursday Thor's day and so on.)

But the good news is the Christians converted them and made it a celebration Of Jesus 😊

and gave them Easter eggs and bunny's as a reward 😊
I will admit I have gone into a deep stufy and research into easter several years ago I learned so much vomit inducing thingd snd it all started with the sture of liber how it is fasioned and designed of the sexual Godess it is replsive to the point I dare not speak of it and how rabbits sre enouves is the icing on the cake

It is a deep dive that I would only reccomend to the brave and strong in their stomachs it is that bad but look at today is this what you think of when you think of easter? aside from it being resurecction day some of my fondest memories come from easter I remember me and my siblings searching for the green plastic egg that always had a dollar in it I remember how we all hid our chocalate bunnies because trust me we would eat each others bunnies if given the chance I remember meeting gamily I rarely got to see I remember the amazing food

I don't know even with all I learned of the origins of the holiday and that goes for halloween Christmas ect. is that what it is today? is that how it affects children who celebrate these holidays only to look back grown up with a sense of warmth? how these holidays were and meant to them? and every family has their own stories it seems to me and maybe it is just me but I tend think more and more we overcomplicate everything we use our studious mind but forget our lives story and if God knows us and knows all then maybe it is more than just a warm feeling maybe it is the reminder that we are children no matter how old we get and like every child trying to be grown up we forget that in the end we are children his children so don't forget to see with such eyes

Bob-Carabbio

Jun 24, 2020
I do celebrate Passover or Resurrection Day which is what Christians do!
Or, we don't bother with "religious holidays/celebrations" at all.

Personally I Don't have to be reminded that Jesus Died for me, as my perfect SIN OFFERING that cleanses me. I LIVE in it every day, which is what Christians do. we had quite a few visitors in Church, and there was an Evangelistc sermon, with a call at the end, and many people responded. That was a good thing.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Thank you for your measured, factual response.
:ROFL: Yeah, he's always been that way.... measured and factual.... very irritating. (personally, I think it has to do with only seeing clearly with one eye, but I could be wrong...) :LOL::ROFL: