Just say NO to easter!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ThereRoseaLamb

Jan 17, 2023
Your daily life involves your using pagan rooted things. Funny how holidays are the only one people care about. And when challenged with this, it gets ignored. Nothing but virtue signaling.

Yep, the days of the week are pagan, months of the year are pagan named. Cars you drive, places you shop, places you eat at, sports teams you watch. But that's never mentioned. Wonder why?

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
It's fine if you don't agree....
But do you have any supporting facts or ideas to refute anything I've said?

And I've not said a thing about punctuation...just the numbers.
No, I don't have any more facts to back up my thoughts on the subject than you have. It's all supposition. I consider myself to be fairly well read, and of more than average intelligence.... and I have never heard of your theory of the numbering of the scriptures. No big deal, but I'm simply stating that to illustrate that your "theory" of scripture numbering is likely not anywhere near being mainstream thought, or belief.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Or how the Word "Easter" is the Latin word for "Passover".
The 1611 KJV keeps the Latin term but the later Cambridge/Oxford translation replaces the Latin with the Hebrew....why? I have no clue. Like Peter is still kept in Latin form instead of Hebrew "Kep.has" both of which mean rock/stone. However what I find hilarious is that in Hebrew the word "Peter" is the word for maternal firstborn....unlike the paternal firstborn.

Gotta remember that the Bible was written in 4 languages and has been translated through several. Some traditions have been created and kept from the translators....why? Dunno.
Just like the numbering system of chapter and verse numbers. Never was in the original....but was placed later to obfuscate certain truths.
Following up here on what you said regarding names.
Translations are a fascinating subject because a lot of people don’t realize how much weight a translator has on his shoulders in order to do the best job to convey an idea.

@FollowerofShiloh can let us know his thoughts too since he’s Jewish but I’m going to illustrate a simple example with the Albanian language.
Let’s take the name Ermal which is a common male Albanian name.
It means “The smell of a mountain” or “wind and the mountain”
What’s the mountain smell like, you’re wondering?
Well, it smells like clear pines, the sound of the running clear water, yellow daisies in the fields and green grass.
So now how am I going to translate all of that into English?

Well, I could just be literal and call it “Ermal” but I immediately lost all that cultural meaning behind it.
But how can I translate all this cultural meaning into another culture where it might sound weird or even offensive?
So the best bet is to translate it into a more compatible Latin based or westernized name.
Because the original name might even have weird letters like Ë or Ç which would be completely off-putting to an English audience.
To make this more appealing to the audience I might think of changing the name from Ermal to Edmond or some other name which is more compatible with Latin based languages.
This is great but now the people in Albania when they see this they’d be like : “Bro are you serious, have you been drinking? What’s Edmond got to do with Ermal”?
Those guys are right from their pov but they don’t know the western pov because they’re not there.
So the translator has a lot of weight in his shoulders when doing this and the translator must know the cultures and languages of both countries well to do a good job.

But this is why I said to never get lost in text because the name of the person is ultimately not that important , what’s important is the moral teaching that’s conveyed or that an event happened or a song is being sung or tears are being wept or shame being felt or justice being dealt or a miracle being seen or a family lineage is being described or a family’s problems being told.
These are universal emotions and concepts that connect all people wherever they are despite their language.

This is why Jesus having divine wisdom uses common universal words in his parables like snakes , wolves, birds, water, wind, salt, swines etc, to convey a message and a teaching which is understood by a man in 30 AD, a man in 2500 BC, and can also be understood by a man 10,000 years from now.
Because the gift of communication is to reduce all complex ideas into words which are understood by a 5 year old and a 90 year old anywhere in the world at any time.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Yep, the days of the week are pagan, months of the year are pagan named. Cars you drive, places you shop, places you eat at, sports teams you watch. But that's never mentioned. Wonder why?
I've asked numerous anti holiday people over the years and have never gotten a response. Funny how that works.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Following up here on what you said regarding names.
Translations are a fascinating subject because a lot of people don’t realize how much weight a translator has on his shoulders in order to do the best job to convey an idea.

@FollowerofShiloh can let us know his thoughts too since he’s Jewish but I’m going to illustrate a simple example with the Albanian language.
Let’s take the name Ermal which is a common male Albanian name.
It means “The smell of a mountain” or “wind and the mountain”
What’s the mountain smell like, you’re wondering?
Well, it smells like clear pines, the sound of the running clear water, yellow daisies in the fields and green grass.
So now how am I going to translate all of that into English?

Well, I could just be literal and call it “Ermal” but I immediately lost all that cultural meaning behind it.
But how can I translate all this cultural meaning into another culture where it might sound weird or even offensive?
So the best bet is to translate it into a more compatible Latin based or westernized name.
Because the original name might even have weird letters like Ë or Ç which would be completely off-putting to an English audience.
To make this more appealing to the audience I might think of changing the name from Ermal to Edmond or some other name which is more compatible with Latin based languages.
This is great but now the people in Albania when they see this they’d be like : “Bro are you serious, have you been drinking? What’s Edmond got to do with Ermal”?
Those guys are right from their pov but they don’t know the western pov because they’re not there.
So the translator has a lot of weight in his shoulders when doing this and the translator must know the cultures and languages of both countries well to do a good job.

But this is why I said to never get lost in text because the name of the person is ultimately not that important , what’s important is the moral teaching that’s conveyed or that an event happened or a song is being sung or tears are being wept or shame being felt or justice being dealt or a miracle being seen or a family lineage is being described or a family’s problems being told.
These are universal emotions and concepts that connect all people wherever they are despite their language.

This is why Jesus having divine wisdom uses common universal words in his parables like snakes , wolves, birds, water, wind, salt, swines etc, to convey a message and a teaching which is understood by a man in 30 AD, a man in 2500 BC, and can also be understood by a man 10,000 years from now.
Because the gift of communication is to reduce all complex ideas into words which are understood by a 5 year old and a 90 year old anywhere in the world at any time.
And you are correct with this explanation....however in Hebrew literature (scriptures) names are not tags like are accustomed to....they are titles describing position, authority, attitudes, or personalities. Which is why some characters get two names. (Jacob/conman &Israel/Struggles with God and Esau/Edom but also Pharoah and Abimelekh are titles not tags)

This becomes important especially in the geanological records. Because the names have meanings and produces complete thoughts across the family lineage when translated into a language we understand. Even Adam is a Title....Eve, the Latin word for the Hebrew title Hawwa (mother of all living)

Apr 28, 2024
I do not care about Christmas, and Easter, according to how the world celebrates it, which is fantasy land for they are not real characters.

Some people who claim to be Christians celebrate them, and some with all the trimmings.

Christmas for the pagans to celebrate the sun god, and for Easter to celebrate the fertility god.

America likes to cater to all people, Christian, and pagan alike.

Also there is more money to made by promoting Santa, and the Easter bunny, for people spend money to cover Santa's presents, and to cover the Easter bunny's presents, and also all the decorations they buy.

We are an occult nation that allows all religions to be practiced there even Satanism, and the new age movement who follows Lucifer that will cause the world to rebel against God believing they will evolve to be spiritual, and a god, and there is no personal God.

I have kinda gone away of buying extravagant Christmas presents and such and just enjoy the meal and togetherness, and if you are like me, you notice the Christmas decor coming out earlier and earlier each year to bankrupt more Americans and make the banks and credit card companies even richer and you not.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Some people enjoy giving and some do not.
These are the sort that use Christmas and Easter as license to give....not as an obligation to get themselves into debt.

Either your world is centered on giving or it isn't. People always calculate living to the extent of their budget...and if you don't have a budget for giving...you don't understand Christ. And there are times....when you break the budget. Just like Christ did.