Keep It In Context

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Homewardbound

Dec 10, 2018
I am currently reading a book about spiritual warfare. In some ways I really like it because he defines his terms in the Greek.
I do my research though. When he quotes a scripture, I take his reference verse and read it in the context in which it was written.
By doing that, I can what the Biblical writer meant, and I can determine if the author of the book I am reading is on track. It saves on bad doctrine.
So far, I have found no glaring errors, which is a good thing. However...I don't want to let my guard down.

Pemican

Sep 27, 2014
As any good doctrinal pastor will tell you, understanding the intended meaning of scripture as all about context, context and context.

There are many types of context to consider; historical context, cultural context, the context of the paragraph, the context of the chapter, the context of the book, the context of the location, etc. For instance, when Jesus gave his "I am the light of the world" speech he was standing in the court of the women in the temple, right next to the 70 foot tall candelabra, during the feast of lights. The candelabra represented the fire by night that guided Israel in the desert. Jesus was equating Himself with the shekinah glory of God or the dwelling presence of God.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Most don't realize that mans' spiritual nature is real. Most have been lied to so much they think it's like the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy. 78% of American adults Identify as Christians but that includes LDS, JW'S, RCC, CHRISTIAN SCIENCE... and many other cults. Not as easily identified. SDA's and some pantheolological. I knew an ordained Bahai minister that thought she was a Christian. She even believed in the Oracle of Delphi!