I had to google "tripp pants".To fit in? Sunshine, I've got news for you; I've been categorized as 'goth' for years. It has nothing to do with acceptance or old culture. It's comfy and it works. I've been in youth ministry for years and guess what? I've reached more people in a pair of tripp pants than you'd think. Do I wear jeans and t-shirts too? Sure. Christians don't need to be these cookie cutter creatures who dress up on Sundays and walk around like robots. We should be free to be expressive and embrace creativity. Why do we have to categorize people by how they dress when what's really important as what is written on our hearts!?
I love the dingbat, and hate the dingbattiness.Why are so many christians so full of hate?
Styles don't make a christian...... but they have been proven to break them because of the repercussions from them. You won't be able to change all those naysayers........ but you can change your style & shut them down. I guess it depends on the value of these little ones, doesn't it?
1 Corinthians 8:7-13 (KJV) [SUP]7 [/SUP]Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled. [SUP]8 [/SUP]But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse. [SUP]9 [/SUP]But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. [SUP]10 [/SUP]For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; [SUP]11 [/SUP]And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? [SUP]12 [/SUP]But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ. [SUP]13 [/SUP]Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.
If our style causes the stumbling of others, our fault or not, we shouldn't do it. If we are able to get those little ones to change their style, we could take a huge load off of their shoulders from the critics. They need that. They're the ones that count, right?
I had to google "tripp pants".
Yeah, I've seen those ridiculous things before.
So you're "that guy", huh?
I wouldn't let you near one of my kids dressed like that, let alone "minister" to them.
If you'd wear those in public, it's pretty clear what's "written on your heart".
Same thing that's written on the hearts of the tattooed and sickeningly pierced.
"Look at me! Check me out! I'm awesome! I'm not a rube like that guy in the tie!"
If you're a Christian, you've been adopted into a Royal Family.
Why not dress accordingly?
Putting on a collared shirt and neck tie doesn't make you a robot,
It makes you at least look like a respectable representative of Christ.
Wearing "tripp pants" makes you look like a trouble-making punk.
@ Seraph_Aximili,
I wrote this because you mentioned that your youth was getting flack from members of your church because of their dress, & I only suggested a means to take the excess spititual weight off of them. You won't be able to stop the critics, but you have the respect of your youth to influence them away from these critics by suggesting they change their dress a little bit to shut the critics up. This would take a huge weight off their shoulders when they need it the most & enable them to show maturity against the voices of these naysayers. Regardless of how you or I or these naysayers believe about these things, The main thing is to supply these youth with a place of worship, a place of peace & refuge so that they can grow up spiritually & stand on their own. Isn't such a small thing worth the price? I would think so.
You missed the point. Critics in the home church can cause mayhem depending what office they possess. If they are elders, you'd better care.They can shut down programs they don't like. I knew one that ordered the Bus ministry to quit picking up poor kids because "their" kids wanted nothing to do with them. It happens.OHHHH!!! WHYYY???!!! You were soooo close! Why did you have to say that? I was loving what you were saying up until this comment! Who cares what critics think! I don't care what critics have to say because why are they focusing on what I am wearing anyway? If I was dressed like Jezebel a critic is not someone who will help me. A Spiritual leader, a parent, or a close friend will. I like the bohemian look and if I was able to dress like that I would and if people criticized me because of it then so what? It's my style and they will just have to find a way to get over it. Do not EVER conform to please other people. Change because GOD has put it on your heart to do so.
You missed the point. Critics in the home church can cause mayhem depending what office they possess. If they are elders, you'd better care.They can shut down programs they don't like. I knew one that ordered the Bus ministry to quit picking up poor kids because "their" kids wanted nothing to do with them. It happens.
I hate it when people rush at one another in the 'name of God' in judgement. We're supposed to love one another, not cast stones from glass houses. I see a lot of condemnation and a spirit of fear and religion that's stalking around here sometimes and it makes me sad. Jesus taught love and forgiveness and he condemned the religious leaders and those with a religious spirit calling them "a den of vipers." If you don't like something someone is doing love the sinner and hate the sin. Pick them up and love them rather than kick them when they're down.
I think God's revolutionizing how we think about church and gatherings. Old traditions are tumbling down and new things are rising up.
It ain't God's doing, and there's even a word for it: APOSTASY
THEHOLYSPIRIT NEVER GOES AGAINST GOD'S WORD AND GOD'S WORD IS ETERNAL NON CHANGING TRUTH!!!
Why are you so afraid of nontraditionalism? Who are you to say what God is doing and how He works? There's a shift in the supernatural happening and rather than embrace it you have nothing but doubt because you're stuck in a particular way of thinking. The fruit of the Spirit is abundant in a lot of ministries that aren't't the cookie cutter Billy Graham stetting. Look at The Whosoevers and Bethel's Supernatural School of Discipleship. Instead of condemning and deciding what you think God wants and letting a spirit of fear and religion guide your heart why don't you let the Holy Spirit guide you instead! Read what Ryan Ries says and preaches. Read what Danny Silk and others from Bethel have to say and look into the amazing and miraculous things Jesus is doing. Get out of your box my friend!