When I was first saved, there was a good deal of emphasis on time with God and studying His Word. I don't hear this preached as much. Some churches no longer preach, preferring to offer Christian entertainment masquerading as worship.
Has the church become so spiritual that it no longer needs the Bible? I don't think so! It is true that those who are born again have the Living Word of God (Jesus, of course) dwelling within. The Holy Spirit is given to lead us into all truth. So what is the place of the Bible.
Lord Jesus is the "Logos" of God. This can be likened to an armoury where every weapon and all the armour is stored. There is another Greek word we find in the Bible, "Rhema". This is the revelation of God's word. The "armoury" can be seen as all the great promises of God as declared in His word. "Rhema" is the specific promise that relates to a situation or problem that we face. Rhema usually refers to the spoken word. Not too many people could quote every word of the Bible, but we can and should speak words that apply to our present need and circumstance.
If we have a good knowledge of the Bible, the Holy Spirit can bring the appropriate truth to our remembrance when required. For example, I was in what seemed an impossible situation. The Spirit reminded me of part of the Lord's prayer - "Do not lead me into temptation, but deliver us from evil". Almost as soon as I prayed that, help came. Not only that, the people who helped were believers. God's grace is truly amazing.
The psalmist knew the value of God's word. "I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You." Psalm 119:11
Bible references: John 1:1 Jesus the "Logos"
Hebrews 4:12 Sword of the Spirit is "Logos"
Matthew 4:4 when Jesus rebukes Satan with Rhema word.
Has the church become so spiritual that it no longer needs the Bible? I don't think so! It is true that those who are born again have the Living Word of God (Jesus, of course) dwelling within. The Holy Spirit is given to lead us into all truth. So what is the place of the Bible.
Lord Jesus is the "Logos" of God. This can be likened to an armoury where every weapon and all the armour is stored. There is another Greek word we find in the Bible, "Rhema". This is the revelation of God's word. The "armoury" can be seen as all the great promises of God as declared in His word. "Rhema" is the specific promise that relates to a situation or problem that we face. Rhema usually refers to the spoken word. Not too many people could quote every word of the Bible, but we can and should speak words that apply to our present need and circumstance.
If we have a good knowledge of the Bible, the Holy Spirit can bring the appropriate truth to our remembrance when required. For example, I was in what seemed an impossible situation. The Spirit reminded me of part of the Lord's prayer - "Do not lead me into temptation, but deliver us from evil". Almost as soon as I prayed that, help came. Not only that, the people who helped were believers. God's grace is truly amazing.
The psalmist knew the value of God's word. "I have hidden Your word in my heart that I might not sin against You." Psalm 119:11
Bible references: John 1:1 Jesus the "Logos"
Hebrews 4:12 Sword of the Spirit is "Logos"
Matthew 4:4 when Jesus rebukes Satan with Rhema word.