KNOWLEDGE PUFFETH UP, BUT LOVE EDIFIETH - I Corinthians 1:8-2

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 6, 2020
You said:
I guess to actually operate in Spiritual Authority you would need to have the spirit of truth in such a way that you know in your Spirit, possess by the truth rather then in your mind only thinking you know, thinking you possess.
Correct - I agree! The source of all spiritual truth from God - is God's Word, and God's guiding spirit. All true Christians correctly understand the way of salvation and live according to it in daily life. But they are commonly not able to agree with one another in their interpretations of all parts of the scriptures. That's because they are human and no one is able to have the same degree of wisdom as God has in this life, until they get to heaven. Of course, anyone who knowingly and purposely interpret the scriptures incorrectly, aren't satisfactory to God, as that is a very wrong attitude, which if not repented of - will result in their ending up in hell instead of in heaven.
Watchman Nee, was just another human as we all are. So whether he had any errors of belief in the unimportant matters (less so compared to salvation) is unimportant, since he's now in heaven, where I'm sure he has been given perfect understanding of all things. Unlike how it was for him while on earth.
I think the applicable verse here goes something like - " We know in part, we prophesy in part ..."
Of course everyone has taint and the spiritual accuracy of the truth we bring is in our living in the spirit of that truth, study will not get you there.

But the closer we get to that perfection that is available to us in Christ Jesus the more unity and mutual celebration their will be in what each other brings to the table from the hand of God.

Jul 6, 2020
If and when you have "ceased from sin and begin to live the rest of your life for the glory of God" what you bring will be perfect from God but even then not complete, still only a part.

That part i may bring intended to fit perfectly to the part you may bring. But so many are still busy wanting to be the one, and arguing over who has it all right, meanwhile sin still remains as a log in the eye for many, a splinter for some and who is truly holy with clean hands and able to help? Are we not all so dam far away from the very beginnings of the life of Christ in us and the even greater things then Christ did that we are called to do. I cant even imagine how that could be, yet we know it is Gods will for us who believe.

A humility of mind, a brokenness of heart over the sin that remains and a desperate need for repentance unto holiness so we all might see God clearly and walk around bringing His presence with us. The church is truly desperately in need of the fullness of Gods salvation She (we) are meant for so much more then what we currently are living out! Time is short and if we don't start laying hold of it now we never will.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
I think the applicable verse here goes something like - " We know in part, we prophesy in part ..."
Of course everyone has taint and the spiritual accuracy of the truth we bring is in our living in the spirit of that truth, study will not get you there.

But the closer we get to that perfection that is available to us in Christ Jesus the more unity and mutual celebration their will be in what each other brings to the table from the hand of God.
True, study alone - is unreliable for learning more of what God wants us to learn! It is very, very important to rely daily prayer, for God's help and guidance and understanding, when reading the scriptures and studying them. And yes, the more mature Christians become in Christ, the more beneficial they will also be to the world around them and to the rest of the saints.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
You are bringing things up that pertain to a man outside of Christ.

I am addressing this:

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments (1 John 2:3).
I believe that unbelievers are to be told the gospel. And I believe that believers need to read, study, and be taught from the scriptures, regularly. Believers also needed to be exhorted and warned against falling away, and we have examples of this fact, by all such exhortations there are to be found doing just that, throughout the New Te
You are bringing things up that pertain to a man outside of Christ.

I am addressing this:

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments (1 John 2:3).
Indeed, we are to keep His commandments that we are aware of. But God doesn't hold anyone guilty for breaking commandments that they weren't aware they were breaking. Also, God forgives all sins that Christians are sincerely sorry about and feel remorse about.

There is a need to guard against being overly divisive in the church, according to the New Testament. It helps to know that the central issue is the way of salvation. And to realize that it is wise not to put equal importance on any Bible doctrines outside of that. But some well-meaning Christians, as well as some who definitely are not fully surrendered to Christ - find themselves being more divisive than God intends for them to be. So it helps to know the scriptures, to help better prevent the problem from occurring. Since being overly divisive can cause much trouble, that doesn't come from God. Such as causing some to feeling disillusionment spiritually, or having a hand in causing some to fall away.

Here are some verses on the subject of helping to preserve spiritual unity in the church, by avoiding being overly devisive:
1 Cor 1:12-13

12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
KJV

John 17:22-23

22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
KJV

Ps 133:1
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
KJV

Eph 4:3-5

3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
KJV

Eph 4:13-15

13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
KJV

Rom 16:17-18

17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
KJV

1 Cor 3:3-5

3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man?
KJV

1 Cor 11:18-19

18 For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

19 For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.
KJV

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Paul teaches run the race unto the end
gen 3:18 man will have to work for bread and it will be hard with troubles and traps
mat 13:11-13 the children understand the one truth but some have lots of understandings some are taken away
the many church denominations shows that the truth has been blured
who is right ?
the one who trust in this guy
John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

blessings
Yes, many churches have blurred truths on the central, most important issue - which is that of the way salvation and how to keep oneself saved. That is of course unfortunate. One needs to always prayerfully guard against such wrong teachings. And to be faithful in reading and studying the Bible regularly, in daily life.

As you say, The most trustworthy source of truth to trust is God's Spirit, but including also the Bible. True, the Bible alone, isn't enough to guarantee essential understanding of spiritual things - it must be paired with reliance upon God's Spirit in daily life.

C

cuz

Yes, many churches have blurred truths on the central, most important issue - which is that of the way salvation and how to keep oneself saved. .
God has a plan of salvation and we walk in it (how to keep oneself saved.)I hope i understand what you are saying here
heb 4:7 So, as the Holy Spirit says:

“Today, if you hear his voice,
8 do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion,
during the time of testing in the wilderness,
Stephen
act 7:51 “You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit!
do not let Satan over take you
2 Corinthians 11:3But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

note heb4:8 testing in the wilderness
rev 2:10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

here tested 10 days
what did they get after the test? I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

Revelation 3:11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.

John 8:34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

these are the main verses that has help me
we have a testing
what is the testing? will you obey God
will you put your life up as he did
Matthew 10:39 (Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it )
the church said (say Jesus is my lord ok your saved) no testing
but we know God will test that

question Are we always going to be tested ? my answer
is life always going to be questioned nope (whoever loses their life for my sake will find it) but you have to find that for your self

blessings

C

cuz

As you say, The most trustworthy source of truth to trust is God's Spirit, but including also the Bible. True, the Bible alone, isn't enough to guarantee essential understanding of spiritual things - it must be paired with reliance upon God's Spirit in daily life.
I agree
but many would not
Hebrews 5:13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.
babies are easy to trick
we can see the in the church today
so we need on the meat to stand Eph 6 <--good source
meat being able to learn about the word and the bible is the best source
in the testing
what is going to make it the baby or adult
1 Corinthians 3:10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care.
1 cor 3:1 Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ
here you see people building on false info
babies thinking who baptized you saves you
1 cor 1:13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?
but in the end paul writes
1 cor 3:13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

hope any of this helps
blessings

Feb 29, 2020
There is a need to guard against being overly divisive in the church, according to the New Testament. It helps to know that the central issue is the way of salvation. And to realize that it is wise not to put equal importance on any Bible doctrines outside of that
Romans 16:17-18
[17] Now I implore you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. [18] For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

The doctrine spoken of here encompasses the whole letter to the Romans, not just the gospel.

1 Corinthians 5:11-12
[11] But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. [12] For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?

1 Timothy 4:16
[16] Take heed unto yourself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Romans 16:17-18
[17] Now I implore you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. [18] For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

The doctrine spoken of here encompasses the whole letter to the Romans, not just the gospel.

1 Corinthians 5:11-12
[11] But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. [12] For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?

1 Timothy 4:16
[16] Take heed unto yourself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
But your claim that it covered more subjects than salvation - forces you to contradict the Bible then, in the verses pertaining to the subject that we need to overlook subjects of lesser importance. And that is unwise to cut off fellowship with true Christians, who simply don't agree on the smaller matters.

1 Cor 8:12-13

12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.
KJV
Rom 14:5-6

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
KJV

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
I agree
but many would not
Hebrews 5:13 Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.
babies are easy to trick
we can see the in the church today
so we need on the meat to stand Eph 6 <--good source
meat being able to learn about the word and the bible is the best source
in the testing
what is going to make it the baby or adult
1 Corinthians 3:10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as a wise builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should build with care.
1 cor 3:1 Brothers and sisters, I could not address you as people who live by the Spirit but as people who are still worldly—mere infants in Christ
here you see people building on false info
babies thinking who baptized you saves you
1 cor 1:13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul?
but in the end paul writes
1 cor 3:13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

hope any of this helps
blessings
Yes, you're right - it's the meat of God's Word, that is able to make sincere Christians strong and mature, spiritually! But spiritual babyhood often precedes spiritual maturity, it appears, judging by things the New Testament says on the subject. Are you familiar with the ancient book, "Pilgrim's Progress?" I am - my dad it and I've read it a number of times in the past. I've also read other spiritual books by the author, John Bunyan. In "Pilgrim's Progress" - the story of what happened to Pliable, illustrates what happens to some who fall away as new believers, much the same probably as in the illustration of that in the Sower parable Jesus told. Many children "accept the Lord as Savior" in their childhoods, but later as teenagers, some of them fall away, it can be seen. New believers and children begin with serving Christ, but haven't been tried yet. And after being tried by temptations or hardships - some eventually fall away. But also, wrong preaching, as we commonly have in the USA is too much 'easy believism" - in other words, portrays the gospel as though there isn't much cost to serving Christ and makes it look safe to willingly ignore the effort to be diligent in pleasing God in daily life. Another way to describe that way of preaching is preaching too much on God's grace and not enough on the need for works as James talks about. Many under such preaching, choose to be lazy spiritually, and think they're saved, but don't realize they're headed for hell, as is illlustrated in the sheep and goats parable - Matthew 25. But those who choose to be diligent in serving God, without wavering in that devotion - keep growing in the Lord, and becoming increasingly mature in the Lord. It's a matter of choice to remiain as spiritual babes or to press on towards spiritual maturity, prayerfully and diligently.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
God has a plan of salvation and we walk in it (how to keep oneself saved.)I hope i understand what you are saying here
heb 4:7 So, as the Holy Spirit says:

“Today, if you hear his voice,
8 do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion,
during the time of testing in the wilderness,
Stephen
act 7:51 “You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit!
do not let Satan over take you
2 Corinthians 11:3But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

note heb4:8 testing in the wilderness
rev 2:10 Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

here tested 10 days
what did they get after the test? I will give you life as your victor’s crown.

Revelation 3:11 I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown.

John 8:34 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. 35 Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. 36 So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

these are the main verses that has help me
we have a testing
what is the testing? will you obey God
will you put your life up as he did
Matthew 10:39 (Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it )
the church said (say Jesus is my lord ok your saved) no testing
but we know God will test that

question Are we always going to be tested ? my answer
is life always going to be questioned nope (whoever loses their life for my sake will find it) but you have to find that for your self

blessings
Testing is any hardship that we must go through. If one always prayerfully puts Christ first in their life, no testing will cause them to fall away. Falling away happens only to those who don't put Christ first, and who love the things of this world more than Christ! Yes, anyone who chooses to live a life of sin is a slave to sin, as John said!
Those were some good verses you posted on the subject of the need to be diligent in serving God in daily life. And the need to always be diligently putting on the whole armor of God - Ephesians 6. Yes, those who find what they want in this life, will lose their life eventually and end up in hell, as this life is short, compared to eternity! Yes, there is a danger of being beguiled by the serpent (the devil) for all those who don't put Christ first and who don't prayerfully guard against falling away. False prophets preaching a wrong gospel draw away many, who haven't set up guards against letting that happen. Yes in Hebrews, that period of testing of the people of Israel in the wilderness on the way to the Promised land, is an illustration of how all people who start out following Christ will be tested in this life. Those who put Christ first, prayerfully are always the ones who remain intact in their salvation and relationship with Christ.

Hebrews 11 is known as the "faith chapter of the Bible" - it gives lots of good examples of saints who remained true to God throughout all kinds of testings they had had to endure.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
I believe it is to be expected, that there will never be perfect agreement on all points of Bible doctrine, during this life. Though we are to try to help correct one anothers errors of belief that we feel we see, we are not to be anxious about them
You opened up a can of worms. It can make things very complicated and uneasy if everybody tried to convince each other of their views. I think it should be left the choice, as long as core values are there i am not going to complain.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I believe it is to be expected, that there will never be perfect agreement on all points of Bible doctrine, during this life. Though we are to try to help correct one anothers errors of belief that we feel we see, we are not to be anxious about them, though, if they are sincere, faithful Christians. And those who fit that description, are those who have accepted Jesus as Savior and Lord (God) of their life, and living according to it faithfully in daily life.
Amen!

1 Corinthians 13:2 And though I have [the gift of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.