Kombucha tips anyone?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

HopeinHim4ever

I like making kombucha but am kind of a beginner... what's your favorite fruit/juice to use? How long do you allow to ferment? Let's share tips with eachother.

P

persistent

I like making kombucha but am kind of a beginner
Never heard of it and search says tea and sugar and SCOBY. All ready to drink brands show only tea and no juice. I think Malta Goya would be preferrable which is a ready to drink grain and sugar beverage. Probably not easy for DIY. Sort of like instant drink Postum which didn't do well here in USA and is not in stores now. Is SCOBY readily available? Is juice sub for tea?

Mar 4, 2020
I like making kombucha but am kind of a beginner... what's your favorite fruit/juice to use? How long do you allow to ferment? Let's share tips with eachother.
I don’t know how to make it, but try guava juice. I’ve bought kamboucha with guava juice and it was alright. It also might contain a bit of alcohol since it’s fermented so be careful with that.

H

HopeinHim4ever

Never heard of it and search says tea and sugar and SCOBY. All ready to drink brands show only tea and no juice. I think Malta Goya would be preferrable which is a ready to drink grain and sugar beverage. Probably not easy for DIY. Sort of like instant drink Postum which didn't do well here in USA and is not in stores now. Is SCOBY readily available? Is juice sub for tea?
So how I like to do it is make tea (black, green, it doesn't really matter), cool and sweeten it, then add a cup of your last batch of kombucha (or starter), put the scoby on top and let it ferment in a gallon jar with a cloth on top for a week. After a week, I fill smaller jars about 3/4 full, top it off with juice or fresh fruit, put lids on and let it ferment again for a couple days.
If you let it sit too long it'll get vinegary.
My mom used to make it alot, then this past year I started it up again. I've had good batches and not so good batches:LOL:.

H

HopeinHim4ever

I don’t know how to make it, but try guava juice. I’ve bought kamboucha with guava juice and it was alright. It also might contain a bit of alcohol since it’s fermented so be careful with that.
Usually it only contains about .05% I think but it can get stronger. It is really healthy, a good probiotic with live and active cultures, good bacteria.

Mar 4, 2020
Usually it only contains about .05% I think but it can get stronger. It is really healthy, a good probiotic with live and active cultures, good bacteria.
That’s true. I don’t drink beer or anything strong, but I can accept something with %.05 alcohol or less. There’s literally no chance for me to get drunk off that. Plus the health benefits of kamboucha are worth it even though I generally avoid alcohol completely.

H

HopeinHim4ever

Do you know where scoby is sold? Walmart maybe?
Oh I forgot to say. Well we got our first one from a neighbor who made kombucha. It's like a flat mushroom that multiplies itself. I have heard you can get a plain/unflavored store-bought bottle of kombucha, let it sit on the counter for awhile and a scoby is supposed to form on top:unsure:... or try a health foods store maybe?

Dec 22, 2022
Bronx
I've had the best results using all green tea as the base. It has a more subtle flavor, which allows the fruit to shine through. I like using a mix of apples and grapes for a sweet and slightly tangy taste. As for fermentation time, I usually go for about a week to get the right balance of flavor and carbonation.

H

HopeinHim4ever

I've had the best results using all green tea as the base. It has a more subtle flavor, which allows the fruit to shine through. I like using a mix of apples and grapes for a sweet and slightly tangy taste. As for fermentation time, I usually go for about a week to get the right balance of flavor and carbonation.
That's a good idea. I used to do black and green together, but lately been using black. But I should try green by itself. I've done apples and ginger together and that was really good.