law and grace

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

hislastwalk

sin is just a sign of unbelief, and unbelief is a sin. In fact, unbelief is the only thing that will keep you out of Heaven.

Jun 24, 2010
1 Timothy 1
5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith, 6 from which some, having strayed, have turned aside to idle talk, 7 desiring to be teachers of the law, understanding neither what they say nor the things which they affirm.

8 But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, 9 knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust.

12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has enabled me, because He counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry, 13 although I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. 14 And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 15 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. 16 However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. 17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise,[a] be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

people speak of the law as if it is a bad thing, but the Law brings conviction and shows people their need for repentance and grace and mercy and forgiveness for their transgressions
The following passages are the purpose and crux of what the law says and notice what James has to say about it...

Rom 3:19,20

19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Jm 2:10-13

10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.
13 For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment.

Here is the question...Why do we have the following inspired passage in (Rom 6:6-15)...

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

If we as believers put ourselves under the law, then when we offend the law in only one point we have violated the law and we are guilty and must be judged by the law that we are under. It is not a good thing to put ourselves under the law, though many believers do just that and live in condemnation or self righteousness or both, because the strength of sin is in the law (1Cor 15:56).

If we put ourselves under grace instead of the law and we fail or sin, we don't live in guilt or condemnation for our sin. What do we do? We go to God and to His throne of grace (which is the mercy seat), who has convicted us of sin, and we confess our sin by naming it. If we were under the law we would not be able to do that and would have to suffer the judgment and penalty of the law. But, because we are under grace we realize that Christ bore the penalty for our sin on the cross and we get grace from God through mercy and He restores us by judging us according to mercy. This is how mercy rejoices against judgment because we are under grace and not the law.

Did we get away with sin as some are thinking even now, or did we live as NT believers who are not under the condemnation of the law? Can the law restore the guilty sinner? NO, NEVER. Only grace can restore cand do that and all we have to do is acknowledge our sin and He is faithful and just to forgive us (1Jn 1:9). If others misunderstand that, so what, we are judged of no man but only by the law of liberty.

Last edited:
A

AnotherJesusPerson

what is the difference between a law based mentality in todays world and grace?to me a law based mentality would be
giving a person some change(money)and feeling like i am saved for doing this.
describe by a comparison.use scripture or something natural to get the meaning of the scripture across better if needed.

John 7:24
Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast.
(NIV)

E

enochson

what is the difference between a law based mentality in todays world and grace?to me a law based mentality would be
giving a person some change(money)and feeling like i am saved for doing this.
describe by a comparison.use scripture or something natural to get the meaning of the scripture across better if needed.

John 7:24
Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
What law? there is only one law that I know of Romans 8;2