Law of God vs. Law of Moses

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Is there any difference between the "Law of God" and the "Law of Moses"?

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Do you want just a five-minute argument or the full half hour?

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
To my knowledge Moses never ever created a "LAW". Only Jesus, before coming to earth as a man did. The more honest question would be "Is there a difference between Jesus' Laws as God of the Bible and Jesus' Laws as a man?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
None whatsoever. The laws which Moses spoke and wrote were actually the laws of God. Hence the Law of Moses is simply a reference to the Torah -- which came from God in the first place.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
What about the righteousness under the law and the righteousness of God through Jesus Christ?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
What about the righteousness under the law and the righteousness of God through Jesus Christ?
Righteousness under the Law would need to begin with faith toward God, and those who believed God were accounted to be righteous under the Law. Study Hebrews 11.

32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:

Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.

Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:

And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:
37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;

(Of whom the world was not worthy: they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
The righteousness under the law = obedience
The righteousness of God through Jesus = believing the gospel

Romans 3
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

The righteousness under the law was for the flesh, the body, which included works of obedience. The soul could not be justified under the law.

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Acts 13:38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

Acts 13:39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Acts 13:40 Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets;

Acts 13:41 Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you.

Acts 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
[video=youtube;DBk3Jj6eOhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBk3Jj6eOhI[/video]

True or false?

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
It is the same except that under Moses God's law was obeyed physically (physical rest on a physical day, physical lamb sacrifice, etc). It was never Moses’ Law, it’s Gods law, but God put Moses in authority to be a manager so-to-speak. But later He took it away from Moses, and put Christ in place as the new manager so-to-speak. Under Christ we obey God’s law spiritually instead of physically. It has always been Gods law, the only difference is how we obeyed it under the old covenant compared to how we obey it under the new covenant.

Last edited:

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
It is truly called the Law of YHWH, in Moses day post Egypt pre Yahshua it was mediated through the levites, since Messiah'’s ascension it is mediated through Yahshua.

Hebrews 7:11-12, "Now if perfection had been attainable through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need would there have been for another priest to arise after the order of Melchizedek, rather than one named after the order of Aaron? For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law."

changed” is word #G3331 μετάθεσις metathesis (me-ta'-the-sis) n.,transposition, i.e. transferral (to heaven), disestablishment (of a law). [from G3346], KJV: change, removing, translation, Root(s): G3346

Greek Word Study (Transliteration-Pronunciation Etymology & Grammar)
#G3331 μετάθεσις metathesis; 1) transfer: from one place to another 2) to change 2a) of things instituted or established

As in the priesthood on earth, Levites are abolished, and the priesthood in the heavens is established.

Thayer's (New Testament Greek-English Lexicon)
From G3346; transposition, that is, transferral (to heaven), disestablishment (of a law):—change, removing, translation.

change” is word #G3346 μετατίθημι metatithemi (me-ta-tiy'-thee-miy) v., 1. to transfer., 2. (literally) to transport., 3. (by implication) to exchange., 4. (reflexively) to change sides. [from G3326 and G5087], KJV: carry over, change, remove, translate, turn, Root(s): G3326, G5087

Greek Word Study (Transliteration-Pronunciation Etymology & Grammar)
#G3346 μετατίθημι metatithemi; 1) to transpose (two things, one of which is put in place of the other) 1a) to transfer 1b) to change 1c) to transfer one's self or suffer one's self to be transferred 1c1) to go or pass over 1c2) to fall away or desert from one person or thing to another

Thayer's (New Testament Greek-English Lexicon)
#G3346 μετατίθημι metatithemi; From G3326 and G5087; to transfer, that is, (literally) transport, (by implication) exchange, (reflexively) change sides, or (figuratively) pervert:—carry over, change, remove, translate, turn.

As in the Law has been transferred, not mediated by Levites but mediated by Yahshua the High Priest:

John/Yahanan 14:6, "Yahshua proclaimed to him: I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man comes to the Father, except through Me."

Hebrews 7:24-25,"but He, because He remains forever, has an unchangeable priesthood. Therefore He is also able to save completely those who draw near to YHWH through Him, ever living to make intercession for them."

Mat 5:18, "I say to you; Unless heaven and earth passes away, one yodh; the smallest of the letters will in no way pass from the Law, until all things are perfected."

Revelation 21:1, "I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away."

Malachi/Malakyah 4:1-4, “For look, the day shall come, burning like a furnace, and all the proud, and every wrongdoer shall be stubble. And the day that shall come shall burn them up,” said יהוה of hosts, “which leaves to them neither root nor branch. 2 “But to you who fear My Name the Sun of Righteousness shall arise with healing in His wings. And you shall go out and leap for joy like calves from the stall. 3 “And you shall trample the wrongdoers, for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet on the day that I do this,” said יהוה of hosts. 4 “Remember the Torah of Mosheh, My servant, which I commanded him in Ḥorĕḇ for all Yisra’ĕl – laws and right-rulings."

Isaiah 24:1-6, "See,
יהוה is making the earth empty and making it waste, and shall overturn its surface, and shall scatter abroad its inhabitants. 2 And it shall be – as with the people so with the priest, as with the servant so with his master, as with the female servant so with her mistress, as with the buyer so with the seller, as with the lender so with the borrower, as with the creditor so with the debtor; 3 the earth is completely emptied and utterly plundered, for יהוה has spoken this word. 4 The earth shall mourn and wither, the world shall languish and wither, the haughty people of the earth shall languish. 5 For the earth has been defiled under its inhabitants, because they have transgressed the Torah, changed the law, broken the everlasting covenant. 6 Therefore a curse shall consume the earth, and those who dwell in it be punished. Therefore the inhabitants of the earth shall be burned, and few men shall be left.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jeremiah 31:33, "For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israyl: After those days, says YHWH: I will put My Law (Torah/Instructions) in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts, and I will be their Strength, and they will be My people."[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hebrews 10:16, "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says YHWH: I will put My Law into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them.”[/FONT]

Mat 5:18, "I say to you; Unless heaven and earth passes away, one yodh; the smallest of the letters will in no way pass from the Law, until all things are perfected."

Revelation 21:1, "I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away."

beta

Aug 8, 2016
It is the same except that under Moses God's law was obeyed physically (physical rest on a physical day, physical lamb sacrifice, etc). It was never Moses’ Law, it’s Gods law, but God put Moses in authority to be a manager so-to-speak. But later He took it away from Moses, and put Christ in place as the new manager so-to-speak. Under Christ we obey God’s law spiritually instead of physically. It has always been Gods law, the only difference is how we obeyed it under the old covenant compared to how we obey it under the new covenant.
I am hoping that your post may help people to better understand/see the difference of HOW to keep the Commandments spiritually today from the OT !
It is obvious that in the OT the focus was on the 'physical rather than the spiritual...seeing people had not the help and power of God's Holy Spirit.
Since Yashua/Jesus did not 'do away with the law Mat 5v17 we are left with 'a change in the law Heb 7v12....based on better promises and 'spiritual observation of the law....yet still law !
So also the 'Sabbath Day' is still in the law (Commandments) being a 'set holy time in a weekly cycle that can not be ripped out....but the 'keeping of it is changed !
THAT IS what Christians should focus on !!!....rather than changing days and times or worse....abolishing it !

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I am hoping that your post may help people to better understand/see the difference of HOW to keep the Commandments spiritually today from the OT !
It is obvious that in the OT the focus was on the 'physical rather than the spiritual...seeing people had not the help and power of God's Holy Spirit.
Since Yashua/Jesus did not 'do away with the law Mat 5v17 we are left with 'a change in the law Heb 7v12....based on better promises and 'spiritual observation of the law....yet still law !
So also the 'Sabbath Day' is still in the law (Commandments) being a 'set holy time in a weekly cycle that can not be ripped out....but the 'keeping of it is changed !
THAT IS what Christians should focus on !!!....rather than changing days and times or worse....abolishing it !
You've just taken it from a spiritual law and brought it back down to a physical law, again.

Spiritual observation of the law??? Working at the law in a physical way is so ingrained in people that they cannot fathom what is spiritual.

There is no working at a spiritual law. You have no power to "observe" or obey a spiritual law. Only the Spirit has the power to obey. Our only hope in Righteousness is the Lord Jesus Christ. We're not able. Very few even understand.

John 15:5 [FONT=&quot]I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]for without me ye can do nothing[/FONT][FONT=&quot].

[/FONT]

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
............. It is obvious that in the OT the focus was on the 'physical rather than the spiritual...seeing people had not the help and power of God's Holy Spirit...........
And what about the 10 Commandments? Are they of God or of Moses?

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
Exodus 31:18, “And when He had ended speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Mosheh two tablets of the Witness, tablets of stone, written with the finger of the Mighty One.”

Deuteronomy 9:10-11, “Then יהוהgave me the two tablets of stone written with the finger of the Mighty One, and on them were all the Words which יהוה had spoken to you on the mountain from the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly. And it came to be, at the end of forty days and forty nights, that יהוהgave me the two tablets of stone, the tablets of the covenant.”

Exodus 24:10-12, "24:10, "and they saw the Mighty One of Yisra’yl, and under His feet like a paved work of sapphire stone, and like the heavens for brightness. Yet He did not stretch out His hand against the chiefs of the children of Yisra’yl! And they saw Elohim, and they ate and drank. And יהוה said to Mosheh, “Come up to Me on the mountain and be there, while I give you tablets of stone, and the Torah and the command which I have written, to teach them.”

Ezekiel 10:1-2, "10:1, "And I looked and saw in the expanse that was above the head of the keruḇim, like a sapphire stone, having the appearance of the likeness of a throne."10:2, "And He spoke to the man clothed with linen, and said, “Go in among the wheels, under the keruḇ, and fill your hands with coals of fire from among the keruḇim, and scatter over the city.” And he went in before my eyes."

Ezekiel 1:26-28, "1:26, "And above the expanse over their heads was the likeness of a throne, in appearance like a sapphire stone. And on the likeness of the throne was a likeness as the appearance of a man high above it."1:27, "And from the appearance of His waist and upward I saw what looked like glowing metal with the appearance of fire all around within it. And from the appearance of His waist and downward I saw what looked like fire, and brightness all around."1:28, "As the appearance of a rainbow in a cloud on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the brightness all around it. This was the appearance of the likeness of the esteem of יהוה. And when I saw it, I fell on my face, and I heard a voice of One speaking."

Exodus 24:10, “and they saw the Elohim of Yisra’yl, and under His feet like a paved work of sapphire stone, and like the heavens for brightness.”

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Hebrews 10:16, "This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, says YHWH: I will put My Law into their hearts, and in their minds I will write them.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Psalm 119:44-45, "That I might guard Your Law continually, Forever and ever; That I might walk in liberty, For I have sought Your orders;"[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]James 1:22-25, “And become doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. Because if anyone is a hearer of the Word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks at his natural face in a mirror, for he looks at himself, and goes away, and immediately forgets what he was like. But he that looked into the perfect Law of liberty, and continues in it, not becoming a hearer that forgets, but a doer of work, this one shall be blessed in his doing.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]James 2:8-12, “If you truly accomplish the sovereign Law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself, (Lev 19:18) you do well, but if you show partiality, you commit sin, being found guilty by the Law as transgressors. For whoever shall guard all the Law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” (Exo 20:14) also said, “Do not murder.” (Exo 20:13) Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of Law. So speak and so do as those who are to be judged by the Law of liberty.”[/FONT]

beta

Aug 8, 2016
I have already explained this to you from scripture in your other thread - as I understand it
GOD Personally spoke the 10 Commandments to people in Ex 20 but the people fefused to hear any more v19; Deut 5v22-25. ...so when it says that GOD added no more (personally to the 10 He had spoken to the people) it tells me that they (the 10) are from GOD !!!
If you read that as coming through Moses then you are not hearing GOD. As scripture says 'ears they have but do not hear....who is that speaking of ? those who are deaf and have not yet been healed of their deafness....why not ? well............

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
It is not different today to the old testiment times when it comes to how we are saved. It is by faith for all. One sin is all it takes to keep us out of heaven and all have sined so all need a saviour. To say the people in the old testiment are saved by physical, or obedience to the law is wrong because they sinned and needed faith in a saviour just like us. The diference is that Jesus fulfilled many of the laws which means we no longer need to keep them.
Without Jesus we can't keep anything or do anything good but we are told that He will live within us. So with Christ in us we can keep the laws that are not fulfilled by Him.

JAMES 2.10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
It is not different today to the old testiment times when it comes to how we are saved. It is by faith for all. One sin is all it takes to keep us out of heaven and all have sined so all need a saviour. To say the people in the old testiment are saved by physical, or obedience to the law is wrong because they sinned and needed faith in a saviour just like us.
Could you post Scripture to back up your thoughts here? Thanks

I find no OT saint "looking forward" to the cross. Even Jesus' disciples had no clue about the cross. Did prophets write about the sufferings of the coming Messsiah? Yes, but had no understanding.