Law of God vs. Law of Moses

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
Let the Lord teach you.. no veil.

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
Could you post Scripture to back up your thoughts here? Thanks

I find no OT saint "looking forward" to the cross. Even Jesus' disciples had no clue about the cross. Did prophets write about the sufferings of the coming Messsiah? Yes, but had no understanding.
I'm not saying they knew everything about the coming death and resurrection of Christ but that they required faith (more faith because they didn't understand the details like us), to be saved. I'm saying both old and new testiment people needed faith to be saved and God has not changed His requirements of salvation.

Heb 11.4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh. note

5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.....

13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I'm not saying they knew everything about the coming death and resurrection of Christ but that they required faith (more faith because they didn't understand the details like us), to be saved. I'm saying both old and new testiment people needed faith to be saved and God has not changed His requirements of salvation.

Heb 11.4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh. note

5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.....

13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
Yes, by faith Abel offered...

By faith Enoch pleased God...

By faith and works followed...that's Hebrews 11

Faith requires evidence, substance. Faith requires obedience. If the Jew did not obey the law, they were cut off from God.

What justifies us after the cross is the faith of Jesus Christ. Where's the evidence of Christ's faith? Look no further than His obedience unto death, even the death of the cross. Praise the Lord?

Galatians 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

davida

Sep 9, 2017
Abraham looked forward to the birth of Jesus. Can't reference the scripture but I will find it.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Originally Posted by John146

I find no OT saint "looking forward" to the cross. Even Jesus' disciples had no clue about the cross. Did prophets write about the sufferings of the coming Messsiah? Yes, but had no understanding.

Job 19:25 states looking forward to the Cross

John146

Jan 13, 2016
John 8:56 shows this.
Abraham was looking forward to the Messiah not the cross. The cross work of Jesus was kept a mystery until after it happened.

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
[video=youtube;BbRPIquKyCY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRPIquKyCY[/video]

True, partially true, or false?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Abraham was looking forward to the Messiah not the cross. The cross work of Jesus was kept a mystery until after it happened.
What about Psalm 22? And Isaiah 53? Here is what Matt Slick (of CARM) says of Psalm 22:

The Psalm begins:
"My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" (
Psalm 22:1).

Jesus cried out these very words from the cross, (
Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34 ).

Likewise, the Psalmist explains:

"All who see me sneer at me; They separate with the lip, they wag the head, saying, 'Commit yourself to the Lord; let Him deliver him; Let Him rescue him, because He delights in him,'” (
Psalm 22:7-8)

The gospel writers similarly report:

"And the people stood by, looking on. And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, 'He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen One.' The soldiers also mocked Him, coming up to Him, offering Him sour wine, and saying, “If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!” (
Luke 23:35-36, see also Matthew 27:39-43 and Mark 15-29-32).

The details are different enough that there is no reason to think that Luke or the other Gospel writers are merely copying lines from the Psalm and claiming they happened to Jesus, and yet the parallel is striking. The Psalmist also cries:

"They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots," (
Psalm 22:18).

During the execution of Jesus, we are told:

"And they crucified Him, and divided up His garments among themselves, casting lots for them to decide what each man should take," (
Mark 15:24, see also Matthew 27:35, Luke 23:34, and John 19:24).

The author of the Psalm exclaims:

"For dogs have surrounded me; a band of evildoers has encompassed me; they pierced my hands and my feet," (
Psalm 22:16).10

Surrounded by hostile gentiles ("dogs" and "evildoers"), Jesus is nailed to a Roman cross through His hands and feet.
11 As one New Testament passage puts it:

"This Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death," (
Acts 2:23).

The process of crucifixion also fits well with phrases like:

"I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint," (
Psalm 22:14).

The Psalmist even explains "My tongue cleaves to my jaws," (
Psalm 22:15) while Jesus cries out from the cross, "I am thirsty," (John 19:28). Many commentators have pointed to Psalm 22:17, "I can count all my bones," as according well with the fact that Jesus' bones were not broken during the crucifixion. One could even argue that the phrase, "You lay me in the dust of death," (Psalm 22:14) could point to the fact that the person about whom the Psalm is written literally dies and is buried before later being delivered, thus implying the resurrection. This is especially plausible since later in the Psalm the phrase "those who go down to the dust" is paralleled with the clause, "he who cannot keep his soul alive," (Psalm 22:29). Regardless, however, the Psalm as a whole parallels dramatically well with Jesus' own suffering in stunning detail. Simply reading the crucifixion narratives in the Gospels and then this Psalm back to back, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that they are describing the same events.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
What about Psalm 22? And Isaiah 53? Here is what Matt Slick (of CARM) says of Psalm 22:

The Psalm begins:
"My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" (
Psalm 22:1).

Jesus cried out these very words from the cross, (
Matthew 27:46; Mark 15:34 ).

Likewise, the Psalmist explains:

"All who see me sneer at me; They separate with the lip, they wag the head, saying, 'Commit yourself to the Lord; let Him deliver him; Let Him rescue him, because He delights in him,'” (
Psalm 22:7-8)

The gospel writers similarly report:

"And the people stood by, looking on. And even the rulers were sneering at Him, saying, 'He saved others; let Him save Himself if this is the Christ of God, His Chosen One.' The soldiers also mocked Him, coming up to Him, offering Him sour wine, and saying, “If You are the King of the Jews, save Yourself!” (
Luke 23:35-36, see also Matthew 27:39-43 and Mark 15-29-32).

The details are different enough that there is no reason to think that Luke or the other Gospel writers are merely copying lines from the Psalm and claiming they happened to Jesus, and yet the parallel is striking. The Psalmist also cries:

"They divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots," (
Psalm 22:18).

During the execution of Jesus, we are told:

"And they crucified Him, and divided up His garments among themselves, casting lots for them to decide what each man should take," (
Mark 15:24, see also Matthew 27:35, Luke 23:34, and John 19:24).

The author of the Psalm exclaims:

"For dogs have surrounded me; a band of evildoers has encompassed me; they pierced my hands and my feet," (
Psalm 22:16).10

Surrounded by hostile gentiles ("dogs" and "evildoers"), Jesus is nailed to a Roman cross through His hands and feet.
11 As one New Testament passage puts it:

"This Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death," (
Acts 2:23).

The process of crucifixion also fits well with phrases like:

"I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint," (
Psalm 22:14).

The Psalmist even explains "My tongue cleaves to my jaws," (
Psalm 22:15) while Jesus cries out from the cross, "I am thirsty," (John 19:28). Many commentators have pointed to Psalm 22:17, "I can count all my bones," as according well with the fact that Jesus' bones were not broken during the crucifixion. One could even argue that the phrase, "You lay me in the dust of death," (Psalm 22:14) could point to the fact that the person about whom the Psalm is written literally dies and is buried before later being delivered, thus implying the resurrection. This is especially plausible since later in the Psalm the phrase "those who go down to the dust" is paralleled with the clause, "he who cannot keep his soul alive," (Psalm 22:29). Regardless, however, the Psalm as a whole parallels dramatically well with Jesus' own suffering in stunning detail. Simply reading the crucifixion narratives in the Gospels and then this Psalm back to back, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that they are describing the same events.

As I said earlier, the prophets prophesied of these things but had no understanding of the cross of Jesus Christ. It was not revealed unto after. The prophets longed to look into those things which they wrote about, but has been revealed to us.

Jan 10, 2018
Yes.
The law of God, aka the Mosaic law, was the law given to the Jews before Jesus came and the church was formed. This was when the only people considered to be righteous were the Jews, and the Gentiles (everyone that wasn't a Jew) were considered to be "dead in trespasses" (Ephesians 2:12).
After Jesus came, the church was created through offering both Jews and gentiles a new covenant with God. This covenant abolished the Mosaic law. The church under the new covenant was under a new commandment, and I guess we can refer to it as the law of God even though I'm not quite sure if the bible called it that.
Read Ephesians 2 for a clearer understanding of how the church came to be.

Hope this was helpful. Tell me if I'm wrong

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
Yes. The law of God, aka the Mosaic law, was the law given to the Jews before Jesus came and the church was formed.
I agree: The Law of God = The Law of Moses.

After Jesus came, the church was created through offering both Jews and gentiles a new covenant with God. This covenant abolished the Mosaic law.
I agree!

The church under the new covenant was under a new commandment, and I guess we can refer to it as the law of God even though I'm not quite sure if the bible called it that.
I'm not sure either, but I don't think the teachings of Jesus are called "Law of God". I'll check later.

Jun 5, 2017
I agree: The Law of God = The Law of Moses. I agree! I'm not sure either, but I don't think the teachings of Jesus are called "Law of God". I'll check later.
My friend you would have to deny a lot of scripture to think that God's LAW (10 commandments) and the Mosaic book of Moses are the same thing.

let's look at the scriptures.......

WHAT IS THE OLD COVENANT?

The Old Covenant included two sets of LAWS that were contained houses in and in the ARK or HOUSE of the COVENANT. This included 1. God's LAW (10 commandments) written by God on stone and 2. The Mosaic book of the law written by Moses in the book of the law and ordinances and history.

God commanded Moses to keep these laws separated in the Ark of the Covenant that made up the Old Covenant. God's LAW (10 commandments) were placed inside the Ark and the Mosaic book of the law was placed at the side of the Ark of the Covenant

God's LAW was written and made by God alone and notthing was to be added to it and the Mosaic law was made and written by Moses as directed by God in a book. God's LAW (10 commandments) was placed in the Ark of the Covenant. While the Mosaic book of the law was plaved in the side of the Ark of the covenant (Ex 32:16; 34:28; Deut 4:13; 10:4Romans 3:20, 1 John 3:4; Romans 7:7; Ps 119:172; James 2:8-12; Hebrews 8:10-12; Gal 3:24; Deut 5:22; Ex 34:28; Deut 4:13; 10:4Ecc 3:14; God's LAW; Ex 25:16; Deut 10:5; Ecc 3:14; Book of the law; Deut 31:26; Col 2:14-17).

It is true indeed that both God's LAW and the Mosaic laws written in the book of the covenant collectively have the 613 commands. This being said both Gods' LAW and the Mosaic laws for remission of sin have a different purpose.

The purpose of God's LAW written on stone and the Mosic laws written in the book

1) God’s Law
(10 commandments)
Purpose; reveals what sin and righteousness (Good and Evil) is and describes the penalty for sin (Romans 3:20; 1 John 3:4; Romans 6:23). It was never a cure for sin. But it was the work of God which is forever and the foundation of the Old Covenant, the New Covenant and the Judgement to come. (Exodus 32:16; Exodus 31:18; 31:18; Exodus 20:1-22; Deuteronomy 10:5; Romans 3:20; 1 John 3:4; Romans 6:23; Hebrews 7:19; Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, James 2:10-12, 1 John 3:4, Acts 17:31; Ps 111:7-8; Revelation 12:17; 14:12; 22:14; 1 John 3:5-8; 1 John 2:3-4; Ecclesiastes 3:14)

(2) The laws of Moses (Levitical, ceremonial, sacrificial)
Purpose; was the prescriptive cure for sin with all the Levitical and ceremonial laws, burnt offerings for sin, annual feast days foretelling the plan of salvation which were connected to Feast days with New Moon sabbaths, food and drink offerings and other Holy days. These where all types pointing to Jesus and the plan of salvation and provided a cure for sin through animal sacrifice and food and drink offerings and yearly sin atonement's for God’s people. (Leviticus 1:1-13; Leviticus 23:1-44; Numbers 28:1-31; 29:1-40; Deuteronomy 24:10-11; Exodus 24:3; Deuteronomy 31:24-26; Colossians 2:16-16; Hebrews 10:1; Ephesians 2:14-15; Leviticus 4; 5; 6; Hebrews 4:14; 9;10; John 1:29; not exhaustive there are many more).

Why were the ceremonial laws of Moses (handwriting of ordinances) nailed to the cross and shadows of things to come......

Jesus was our true sacrifice for our sins and the Savior of the world that the ceremonial laws of Moses all pointed to. When Jesus came and died the old Covenant laws of Moses that pointed to Jesus and the plan of salvation was fulfilled (John 1:29; 36; Revelation 5:6; 1 Corinthians 5:6-7; Hebrews 8:2-13; 9:1-28). Jesus is our true Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world and our sacrifice for our sins. It is our sins as well as the ceremonial laws of Moses that were nailed to the cross at the death of Jesus (Colossians 2:14; Ephesians 2:15; John 3:16).

So just as the Mosaic laws for remission of SIN are have a difference purpose to God's Law (10 commandments) they are all temporary Shadows because they were all pointing to Jesus and the plan of salvation, God's Law is not temporary they are the manifestation of the Character of God through LOVE and are FOREVER.

GODS LAW (10 commandments) ARE FOREVER

The Law of God (10 commandments) which includes the 4th commandment is the work of God (Exodus 32:16) whatsoever God does is forever nothing can be added to it or taken away (Ecclesiastes 3:14).
God's Law is perfect converting the soul (Psalms 19:7).
It is the very standard of the Old and New Covenants (Exodus 20:1:17, Hebrews 8:10-12).
God's Law was spoken by God himself to His people (Exodus 20:1-22). Jesus says Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away (Matthew 25:35). Gods Law is still in force today (Psalms 111:7-8, Revelation 12:17, 14:12, 22:14, 1 John 3:5-8, 1 John 2:3-4 etc.). The Law of God reveals sin to us so we can see ourselves as we truly are sinners in need of a Saviour (Romans 3:20; 1 John 3:4).It is the great standard of the judgement (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14, James 2:10-12, 1 John 3:4, Acts 17:31). God's Law is our teacher revealing sin and the character of God and brings us to Christ at the foot of the cross that we might be saved by faith by Him who loves us and washed us in His own blood (Galatians 3:24; Revelation 1:5). Jesus came not to abolish the law, but to fulfil it ( Matt 5:17-20 ). The law is the embodiment of truth that instructs ( Rom 2:18-19 ). It is "holy" and "spiritual, " making sin known to us by defining it; therefore, Paul delights in it ( Romans 7:7-14Romans 7:22). The law is good if used properly ( 1 Tim 1:8 ), and is not opposed to the promises of God ( Gal 3:21 ). Faith does not make the law void, but the Christian establishes the law ( Rom 3:31 ), fulfilling its requirements by walking according to the Spirit ( Rom 8:4 ) through love ( Rom 13:10 ).

You cannot know the power of God or the Gospel of Grace without the 10 commandments. If there is NO LAW then you do not know what SIN is (James 2:11; Romans 7:7; Romans 3:20; 1 John 3:4). If you do not know what SIN is you have NO need of a Savior. If you have NO need of a Savior you have NO Salvation. If you have NO Salvation you are LOST because it is written.

God's LAW
was written and made by God alone on two tables of stone and spoken by God himself to his people and nothing was to be added to it. (God's LAW; Ex 32:16; 34:28; Deut 4:13; 10:4; Exodus 20; Romans 3:20, 1 John 3:4; Romans 7:7; Ps 119:172; James 2:8-12; Hebrews 8:10-12; Gal 3:24; Deut 5:22; Ex 34:28; Deut 10:4 Ecc 3:14; Ex 25:16; Deut 10:5)

It is called God's LAW or the 10 Commandment, because he was the one alone who made it and commanded Moses to keep in separated from the book of the law in the Ark of the Covenant (Neh 10:29; Deut 10:4-5; Deut 31:25-26; Deut 4:13; Ex 34:28)

God's LAW was not made by Moses it was made by God alone on two tables of stone and nothing was to be added to it and it was to be separated from the Mosaic book of the law. That is why it is referred to in the scriptures as God's LAW or the 10 commandments (not the 613).

The Mosaic law was made and written and spoken by Moses as directed by God in the book of the covenant.
(Mosaic Book of the law; Deut 31:9; Ex 24:3-4; Deut 31:24-27; Col 2:14-17).

God not only commanded Moses to keep the 10 Commandments separated from the Mosaic book of the law in the Ark of the Covenant (Deut 10:5; 31:25-26 nothing was to be added to it (Deut 4:1-2; Deut 5:22)

God makes a distinction between the 10 Commandments and the book of the law of Moses….

2 Kings 21
8, Neither will I make the feet of Israel move any more out of the land which I gave their fathers; only if they will observe to do according to all that I have commanded them, and according to all the law that my servant Moses commanded them.

Do we need more scripture................

THE LAWS CONTAINED IN ORDINANCES (COL 2:14)

COLOSSIANS 2:14-17,
14, Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15, And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath(s): 17, which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Colossians 2:14
Let’s start with the context of Colossians 2:16-17. The context is verse 14 which is the blotting out (G1813; ἐξαλείφω; exaleiphō; ex-al-i'-fo; means to obliterate; erase; wipe away) the handwriting of ordinances which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way nailing it to the cross.

The next question we need to consider is what is the handwriting of ordinances that are to be erased and nailed to the cross?

The Greek words used here is handwriting G5498 χειρόγραφον; cheirographon; which means; hand written legal document which is combined with ordinance G1378 δόγμα dogma dog'-mah From the base of G1380; which means; civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical law: - decree;

The Greek meaning of handwriting of ordinances in V14 is a hand written legal document or book of civil, ceremonial and ecclesiastical laws. These are the laws referred to in verse 14 that have been erased and are nailed to the cross.
As can be shown through the scriptures it is the Shadow Mosaic laws written in the book of Moses that was against us and nailed to the cross with our sins that are now fulfilled in Christ our true sacrifice and great high Priest who ministers on our behalf in the heavenly Sanctuary not made with hands.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOD’S SABBATH AND THE CEREMONIAL SABBATHS CONTAINED IN ORDINANCES IN THE MOSAIC BOOK OF THE COVENANT

What is the difference between the sabbath of the annual festival of the ceremonial laws of Moses and the Sabbath of God's 4th commandment.............

Let’s start with the ceremonial sabbaths contained in ordinances written in the Mosaic book of the law of Moses which were NOT part of the 10 Commandments but connected to New Moons and Annual fest days of the Old Covenant.

2 Chronicles 8
Then Solomon offered burnt offerings unto the LORD on the altar of the LORD, which he had built before the porch,
13, Even after a certain rate every day, offering according to the commandment of Moses, on the sabbaths, and on the new moons, and on the solemn feasts, three times in the year, even in the feast of unleavened bread, and in the feast of weeks, and in the feast of tabernacles.

1. The ceremonial Sabbath of the law of Moses is a special Sabbath and also uses a different Hebrew Word called meaning H7677 שׁבּתון shabbâthôn shab-baw-thone' From H7676; a sabbatism or special holiday: - rest, sabbath. This sabbath can fall on any day of the seek and is only used in the annual Jewish festivals of Feasts of Trumpets (Lev 23:24) or Day of Atonement (Lev 23:32 or Feast of Booths (Lev 23:39). These feasts are NOT fulfilled and Shadows of things to come Col 2 v17 (e.g. 2nd coming, close of probation and judgement and God's people saved from their temporary dwelling on earth to the earth made new) NOTE: Col v17, Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. It is NOT fulfilled and has NOT finished and IS to COME. These are temporary Shadow Sabbaths showing the plan of salvation.

2. God's 4th commandment Sabbath which is one of the 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11). The Hebrew word use here for Sabbath has a DIFFERENT Hebrew word used compared to the ceremonial Sabbath of H7677. The Hebrew Word used here is H7676 and means H7676 שַׁבָּת shabbath (shab-bawth') n-e.1. intermission, a period of temporary rest.2. (specifically) the Sabbath, the seventh day being the day of rest. [intensive from H7673]KJV: (+ every) sabbath. Root(s): H7673. The root word comes from H7673 which comes from the creation week of Genesis 2:1-3 and means shabath (shaw-ɓath') v.to repose, i.e. to cease from exertion.KJV: (cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away. This is God's Sabbath it is a memorial of creation and part of a FINISHED WORK BEFORE SIN entered the WORLD. If it is part of a FINISHED work BEFORE SIN then it cannot be a part of the plan of salvation because it was BEFORE the fall of mankind. Just like all the other 10 commandments God's Word says they are FOREVER and the very standard of SIN and RIGHTEOUSNESS and the JUDGEMENT to come.

The Law of God (10 commandments) which includes the 4th commandment is the work of God (Exodus 32:16) whatsoever God does is FOREVER nothing can be added to it or taken away (Ecclesiastes 3:14)

That is the difference between the ceremonial special Sabbaths that are shadows of things to come written in ordinances in the book of Moses and God's 4th commandment which God's Word says is FOREVER.

Yes indeed there is a LOT of scripture that disagrees with you. God's LAW (10 commandments) are NOT the same as the Mosaic book of the law of Moses

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

In times of ignorance God winks at but now calls all men everywhere to REPENT for the KINGDOM of HEAVEN is at HAND (Acts 17:30-31)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
My friend you would have to deny a lot of scripture to think that God's LAW (10 commandments) and the Mosaic book of Moses are the same thing.

let's look at the scriptures.......

WHAT IS THE OLD COVENANT?

The Old Covenant included two sets of LAWS that were contained houses in and in the ARK or HOUSE of the COVENANT. This included 1. God's LAW (10 commandments) written by God on stone and 2. The Mosaic book of the law written by Moses in the book of the law and ordinances and history.

God commanded Moses to keep these laws separated in the Ark of the Covenant that made up the Old Covenant. God's LAW (10 commandments) were placed inside the Ark and the Mosaic book of the law was placed at the side of the Ark of the Covenant
Ok, no doubt God highlighted the Ten Commandments, but that doesn't mean they could never be replaced by a new law. Where is it stated in the Bible that the Ten Commandments were different from the other 603 laws regarding duration of validity.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

why do you think blood was constantly shed for atonement?

the very next thing in Exodus 20 after the LORD spoke is the people in terror asking for an intercessor, and the LORD giving them the Law of the Altar -- where blood would be shed for atonement. and He said, they must not put a tool to it or it would be defiled, and they must not build it with steps or their shame would be exposed, and they must not set images on it or they would die in their idolatry.

sin was never removed by Law. sin was exposed, and the need for The Seed to crush the head of the serpent and the intercession of a Saviour was made manifest. the Law commands daily sacrifices. daily. blood atonement, constantly - covering, not removing sin. a constant reminder that we need His mercy. this is why the Law caused the priests to profane every sabbath, yet holds them guiltless for it. imagine you are a priest, and you know the Law says you cannot do work or touch a corpse on the sabbath. every sabbath you work, and you cut up dead animals and burn them all day. how can it not occur to you at some point the significance of what you are doing? the Law does not give rest, it shows you that you lack it. the Law teaches you that blood must be shed.