[video=youtube;Gw9ANFOuMBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw9ANFOuMBU[/video]
Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile
'Til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving to your isle
Sail to me
Sail to me
Let me enfold you
Here I am
Here I am
Waiting to hold you
Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you hare when I was fox?
Now my foolish boat is leaning
Broken lovelorn on your rocks
Touch me not, touch me not,
Oh, come back tomorrow;
Oh my heart, oh my heart
Shies from the sorrow
I am puzzled as a newborn baby
I am troubled as the tide
Should I stand amidst the breakers?
Or should I lie with Death my bride?
Swim to me
Swim to me
Oh, come let me enfold you
Here I am
Here I am
Waiting to hold you
Acts 27
Paul Is Sent to Rome
27 When it was decided that we would sail for Italy, they proceeded to deliver Paul and some other prisoners to a centurion of the Augustan [SUP][
a][/SUP]cohort named Julius. [SUP]2 [/SUP]And embarking in an Adramyttian ship, which was about to sail to the regions along the coast of [SUP][
b][/SUP]Asia, we put out to sea accompanied by Aristarchus, a Macedonian of Thessalonica. [SUP]3 [/SUP]The next day we put in at Sidon; and Julius treated Paul with consideration and allowed him to go to his friends and receive care. [SUP]4 [/SUP]From there we put out to sea and sailed under the shelter of Cyprus because the winds were contrary. [SUP]5 [/SUP]When we had sailed through the sea along the coast of Cilicia and Pamphylia, we landed at Myra in Lycia. [SUP]6 [/SUP]There the centurion found an Alexandrian ship sailing for Italy, and he put us aboard it. [SUP]7 [/SUP]When we had sailed slowly for a good many days, and with difficulty had arrived off Cnidus, since the wind did not permit us
to go farther, we sailed under the shelter of Crete, off Salmone; [SUP]8 [/SUP]and with difficulty sailing past it we came to a place called Fair Havens, near which was the city of Lasea.
[SUP]
9 [/SUP]When considerable time had passed and the voyage was now dangerous, since even the [SUP][
c][/SUP]fast was already over, Paul
began to admonish them, [SUP]10 [/SUP]and said to them, “Men, I perceive that the voyage will certainly be with damage and great loss, not only of the cargo and the ship, but also of our lives.” [SUP]11 [/SUP]But the centurion was more persuaded by the pilot and the [SUP][
d][/SUP]captain of the ship than by what was being said by Paul. [SUP]12 [/SUP]Because the harbor was not suitable for wintering, the majority reached a decision to put out to sea from there, if somehow they could reach Phoenix, a harbor of Crete, facing southwest and northwest, and spend the winter
there.
[SUP]
13 [/SUP][SUP][
e][/SUP]When a moderate south wind came up, supposing that they had attained their purpose, they weighed anchor and
began sailing along Crete, close
inshore.
Shipwreck
[SUP]14 [/SUP]But before very long there rushed down from [SUP][
f][/SUP]the land a violent wind, called [SUP][
g][/SUP]Euraquilo; [SUP]15 [/SUP]and when the ship was caught
in it and could not face the wind, we gave way
to it and let ourselves be driven along. [SUP]16 [/SUP]Running under the shelter of a small island called Clauda, we were scarcely able to get the
ship’s [SUP][
h][/SUP]boat under control. [SUP]17 [/SUP]After they had hoisted it up, they used [SUP][
i][/SUP]supporting cables in undergirding the ship; and fearing that they might run aground on
the shallows of Syrtis, they let down the [SUP][
j][/SUP]sea anchor and in this way let themselves be driven along. [SUP]18 [/SUP]The next day as we were being violently storm-tossed, [SUP][
k][/SUP]they began to jettison the cargo; [SUP]19 [/SUP]and on the third day they threw the ship’s tackle overboard with their own hands. [SUP]20 [/SUP]Since neither sun nor stars appeared for many days, and no small storm was assailing
us, from then on all hope of our being saved was gradually abandoned.
[SUP]
21 [/SUP][SUP][
l][/SUP]When they had gone a long time without food, then Paul stood up in their midst and said, “Men, you ought to have [SUP][
m][/SUP]followed my advice and not to have set sail from Crete and [SUP][
n][/SUP]incurred this damage and loss. [SUP]22 [/SUP]
Yet now I urge you to keep up your courage, for there will be no loss of life among you, but
only of the ship. [SUP]23 [/SUP]For this very night an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I serve stood before me, [SUP]24 [/SUP]saying, ‘Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar; and behold, God has granted you all those who are sailing with you.’ [SUP]25 [/SUP]Therefore, keep up your courage, men, for I believe God that [SUP][
o][/SUP]it will turn out exactly as I have been told. [SUP]26 [/SUP]But we must run aground on a certain island.”
[SUP]
27 [/SUP]But when the fourteenth night came, as we were being driven about in the Adriatic Sea, about midnight the sailors
began to surmise that [SUP][
p][/SUP]they were approaching some land. [SUP]28 [/SUP]They took soundings and found
it to be twenty fathoms; and a little farther on they took another sounding and found
it to be fifteen fathoms. [SUP]29 [/SUP]Fearing that we might run aground somewhere on the [SUP][
q][/SUP]rocks, they cast four anchors from the stern and [SUP][
r][/SUP]wished for daybreak. [SUP]30 [/SUP]But as the sailors were trying to escape from the ship and had let down the
ship’s boat into the sea, on the pretense of intending to lay out anchors from the bow, [SUP]31 [/SUP]Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, “Unless these men remain in the ship, you yourselves cannot be saved.” [SUP]32 [/SUP]Then the soldiers cut away the ropes of the
ship’s boat and let it fall away.
[SUP]
33 [/SUP]Until the day was about to dawn, Paul was encouraging them all to take some food, saying, “Today is the fourteenth day that you have been constantly watching and going without eating, having taken nothing. [SUP]34 [/SUP]Therefore I encourage you to take some food, for this is for your preservation, for not a hair from the head of any of you will perish.” [SUP]35 [/SUP]Having said this, he took bread and gave thanks to God in the presence of all, and he broke it and began to eat. [SUP]36 [/SUP]All of them [SUP][
s][/SUP]were encouraged and they themselves also took food. [SUP]37 [/SUP]All of us in the ship were two hundred and seventy-six [SUP][
t][/SUP]persons. [SUP]38 [/SUP]When they had eaten enough, they
began to lighten the ship by throwing out the wheat into the sea.
[SUP]
39 [/SUP]When day came, they [SUP][
u][/SUP]could not recognize the land; but they did observe a bay with a beach, and they resolved to drive the ship onto it if they could. [SUP]40 [/SUP]And casting off the anchors, they left them in the sea while at the same time they were loosening the ropes of the rudders; and hoisting the foresail to the wind, they were heading for the beach. [SUP]41 [/SUP]But striking a [SUP][
v][/SUP]reef where two seas met, they ran the vessel aground; and the prow stuck fast and remained immovable, but the stern
began to be broken up by the force
of the waves. [SUP]42 [/SUP]The soldiers’ plan was to kill the prisoners, so that none
of them would swim away and escape; [SUP]43 [/SUP]but the centurion, wanting to bring Paul safely through, kept them from their intention, and commanded that those who could swim should [SUP][
w][/SUP]jump overboard first and get to land, [SUP]44 [/SUP]and the rest
should follow, some on planks, and others on various things from the ship. And so it happened that they all were brought safely to land.
2 Corinthians 11
But in whatever respect anyone
else is bold—I speak in foolishness—I am just as bold myself. [SUP]22 [/SUP]Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they [SUP][
g][/SUP]descendants of Abraham? So am I. [SUP]23 [/SUP]Are they servants of Christ?—I speak as if insane—I more so; in [SUP][
h][/SUP]far more labors, in [SUP][
i][/SUP]far more imprisonments, [SUP][
j][/SUP]beaten times without number, often in danger of death. [SUP]24 [/SUP]Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine
lashes. [SUP]25 [/SUP]Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. [SUP]26 [/SUP]
I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from
my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; [SUP]27 [/SUP]
I have been in labor and hardship, [SUP][
k][/SUP]through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and [SUP][
l][/SUP]exposure. [SUP]28 [/SUP]Apart from
such [SUP][
m][/SUP]external things, there is the daily pressure on me
of concern for all the churches. [SUP]29 [/SUP]Who is weak without my being weak? Who is [SUP][
n][/SUP]led into sin [SUP][
o][/SUP]without my intense concern?