Lay one's life down for another...

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

pickles

Senior Member
Apr 20, 2009
14,479
182
63
Scripture says there is no greater act than to lay one's life down for the sake of another.

So, I have wondered, if one knows another, who needs a heart, and has not yet recieived Jesus....
Would it be wrong for the person who does know Jesus, to give up their heart, life so the other may live, in hope as well that in time they will recieive Jesus?

Now I first want to say before getting into this discussion, that I am not considering doing this. :)
It is just something I have wondered about.
Just what does laying one's life down for another mean, and are there limitations?

I know most, even I would say that to do such, steps over the line of laying down one's life.
But I do wonder if this would be allowed sometimes in Jesus?
Are there examples in the scriptures that would support or condemn such an act?

Anyway, I hope this isnt to loaded a question, but it has caused me to stop and ponder such many times.
So what are your thoughts and can you share a scripture to help? :)

In Jesus, God bless
pickles
 
Do you have anywhere in scripture that reads this sort of thing was ever done? Playing God is not a wise choice and only leads to corruption. I can see the future already, All people who know Jesus will give their heart to others who need one to live and don't know Jesus so they may live longer to have the chance to know Jesus. And where will it go from there? Sounds unbiblical to me.
 
It sounds like betting to me! You are betting that if you die, this unsaved person will suddenly be converted. And I use converted loosely!

God saves us! Our sacrifices mean nothing to our salvation.

Also, remember the context of this verse!

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

This is part of Jesus' last teachings to the disciples before they went to Jerusalem for Jesus to die for the sins of the world. More specifically, he is talking about love! I have read that some scholars believe Jesus was talking about himself, and the death he was soon to die. So it is not about soteriology, but rather Christiology.
 
Thankyou for your responce. :)
I agree, as I said, this was simply something I have pondered, as to the limitations.

But one could come up with arguments as well in favor.

I asked this question because It is something that has been put before me, there are some I know who asked this question.

I live with those who put theirselves in danger for the sake of others every day.
So, I see how they are willing to give their lives for the sake of another.

But then, one sees lately as well, that such is being regulated and decided as to when they can do this.

For who would not hesitate to run into a burning building to save a child in need.
For a child is to be protected..

I read also recently, where inmates who are to recieive the death penalty, have asked to be put to death on the opperating table, asking this, simply because they have repented their act and want only to, in hope, save a life in their death by giving their organs to another in need.
Would this be wrong?

I know that we should not take our own life in order to give another life, but, the inmates request does cause one to wonder, is this wrong to do?


God bless
pickles
 
It sounds like betting to me! You are betting that if you die, this unsaved person will suddenly be converted. And I use converted loosely!

God saves us! Our sacrifices mean nothing to our salvation.

Also, remember the context of this verse!

"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

This is part of Jesus' last teachings to the disciples before they went to Jerusalem for Jesus to die for the sins of the world. More specifically, he is talking about love! I have read that some scholars believe Jesus was talking about himself, and the death he was soon to die. So it is not about soteriology, but rather Christiology.

Thankyou, an exellent answer. :)

God bless
pickles